OldeSword

Feathered Flight

The achievement "Feathered Flight" is currently not achievable because the bone cages can not be interacted with. I have experienced this with two characters on two different servers.

Feathered_Flight_bug.jpg

Clawbear   

it's still bugged. it's still impossible to interact with the cage, please fix. I have fully completed the celestia explorer achievements, this is the only one missing.

While I was able to complete this achievement on my last two alts, It appears to be broken again as of the latest patch again. The funny thing is this: I did actually get that achievement on my current char, I'm fairly sure I remember that, but when I checked the achievements a few days later it was gone and cannot be gotten again as I cannot interact with the bone cage anymore. It must have somehow reset after getting it. My best bet is that one of the latest patches broke it.

I have recently revisited Celestion because of another bugged issue and was able to interact with the bone cage again and get the achievement. Odd, I'm 100% sure that this was not working about two weeks ago.

It is still impossible for non-explorers to get 100% map completion in Celestion without using console commands though. The challenge "VISTA CHALLENGE: Hijunga Village" will only activate for explorers normally.

Edited by Snowcrash000

I have recently revisited Celestion because of another bugged issue and was able to interact with the bone cage again and get the achievement. Odd, I'm 100% sure that this was not working about two weeks ago.

So you got the achievement and it didn't reset this time for you? That's good to hear, but I am not able to interact with the cage either, so I guess I'll wait and go back every so often to see if I can interact with it.

Still not fixed.  Is there a console command to fix this?  I have seen a few other achievements where someone has figured out a console command to reset the achievement or "fix it" so you can get it.

Halvard   

Just confirming that this is still a problem at 9/27/2017.

I can reach the cage, and I see the NPCs inside, but one set of cage bars is open, the other two are closed, and none of them are interactable to free them.

Feathered_Flight_Bug.png

Fafhred   

Also locked out of completing the Exploration Achievements fro Celestion due to this bug, as of today.

I was told recently by a GM on a reply to an unrelated support ticket to post some of my bugs reports on the forums 'because the devs at Carbine are checking them'; given the age of this bug, I pretty much doubt this...

Edited by Fafhred

KatMR   

Don't forget to use the /bug chat command in-game in addition to the 'Submit a Support Ticket' UI option; the /bug report goes to QA team instead of support.

It's always good for both teams to know.

Fafhred   

I DID report this to QA through /bug, together with another long-time bug (Doomsting).

I also have additional info on this bug: today I had one character waiting there before the maintenance.
Immediately after the maintenance, the 3 cage parts had the interaction tool, so I hoped for a second that it would work at this time.
After using 2 of the 3 cage parts, the interaction tool for the 3rd one vanished, and it did not progress further (back to broken quest).

Bringing another character there shows the bug again (no cage part has an interaction tool).

Just sent this additional info through /bug as well.

Update 1 maintenance later:

The details I reported after last maintenance seem to have done the trick, this quest is now FIXED since this maintenance.

Edited by Fafhred

Dalairen   

Not the hell it is fixed. Same issue with noninteractive cages. I guess, the only lucky achievers are those who do it first after maintenance. Maybe the same is with Doomsting - first looter, but I doubt that.

Thiefje   
Posted (edited)

Not the hell it is fixed. Same issue with noninteractive cages. I guess, the only lucky achievers are those who do it first after maintenance. Maybe the same is with Doomsting - first looter, but I doubt that.

I remember an old case of a quest in Wilderrun where only the first person (or group, as a queue generally formed) to interact with the quest-mob could fight it and progress the quest.

After that the mob was no longer interactible for anyone and it would stay as such untill the next maintenance after which it could again be interacted with once

From what I can tell this case, aswell as that of Doomsting, might be having the same, or a similar, issue.

Edited by Thiefje

Fafhred   
Posted (edited)

No, it is probably just broken again.. try using /bug to report that to the devs, and be sure to be there asap right after a maintenance.

On the day I reported it fixed, I was there about an hour after maintenance (it had been shorter than scheduled), and got my 6 characters through it in sequence, which took over an hour since none were nearby: that same maintenance had teleported all but one to the starting spot in Algoroc.

A bit later the same day, 1 other player PMed me that it worked for him/her as well (I had announced in /n that it was working, after getting all my characters through).

That was in the hours after maintenance, yes, but previously it could not be done even once right after maintenance (clicking a 2nd cage part was breaking the quest for all).

Doomsting is still broken afaik, though: I killed it well over 60 times, but my characters are no longer nearby so I only check it now and then.

And no, it is not a similar issue, my educated guess is that Doomsting's loot table is corrupt, probably odds set to 0 or shifted down by several digits, which would effectively amount to the same.

Another player told me that support's answer so far is to 'keep trying, it is just odds', in other words they do not bother checking (I had more than a few answers of that type, on various issues).

Also keep in mind that Carbine are probably not the ones deciding what bugs get worked on, more likely NC by allocating a low budget to bug-fixing (either that or Carbine's staff assigned to bug-fixing are utterly incompetent, which is extremely unlikely: as a former developer myself in different field, the causes of many of the bugs I observed are obvious to me, any decently skilled programmer looking at the bugs from their symptoms would easily track down the source).

Basically, fixing or not is a management decision, from what I see here.

Edited by Fafhred

KatMR   

I would like to believe that Carbine would push for things like this to get fixed though. It is a leveling quest, so in the interest of new player retention it would be a financially wise investment to iron out kinks like this.

That said, if it has been repeatedly breaking and being fixed and breaking again, as this thread suggests, perhaps the delay is in finding a sound long term solution. Sometimes, these things are more gnarly boots-on-the-ground than they appear to us. We don't know the reality of their situation.

It would be easy for me to agree with you that there should be just an if then else type of bug fix, but we really don't know.

Fafhred   
Posted (edited)

It would be easy for me to agree with you that there should be just an if then else type of bug fix, but we really don't know.

That is the difference between the general public, even if they learned some programming, and people like myself who did this for many years for a living.

No implementation of a programming language is perfect, most have some quirks and bugs which the programmers have to work around, which requires familiarity with that specific implementation of the language used.

Returning bugs are a feature of C and C++ due the combination of the way the language handles variables, and a horrendous feature called 'code optimizer' which basically compress the compiled code by identifying similar strings in that code and rewriting the final code, suppressing multiple occurrences and re-directing code to only use a unique instance of a given string (that is simplified explanation, it get more complex); that process both generate bugs of its own, and complicates bug-tracking, as well as periodically re-instating bugs which have been identified).

As for variables, some of the bugs I observed in Wildstar are obviously caused by bugged/bad/wrong type list pointers (for instance all the failed housing teleports), which are a frequent issue in C and C++; Any experienced C or C++ programmer knows this...

Any experienced programmer (on a given language implementation) learns over times ways to deal with those, which was part of my point.

Besides this, some compilers add bugs of their own; for instance several implementations to Flash, Visual C and Visual C++ were notorious for generating memory leaks; those bugs were reduced over time, but never completely removed afaik.

Edited by Fafhred

Dalairen   

Well, I tried this one right after the maintenance and got this: I was able to use all three interactive objects for the cage, but one stayed still after usage and I've got no achievement. Also I now feel myself like a b-tch who hanged it again for other people.

Fafhred   
Posted (edited)

Looks  to me that it did not finish, then; if it did, you would have seen the 2 NPCs thank you, then leave.

And do not worry about that, it cannot be your fault if it is broken.

Edited by Fafhred

Posted (edited)

June 2018.

The bug's still there. For feathered flight and doomsting.

Edited by Chhaganlaal