Bathory Bane

A Detailed Guide on Adding 2-Step Verification for Windows [Image Heavy]

I see questions about setting up 2-Step Verification on Windows keep coming up, and I do feel there is a need to have this explained especially for the less tech-savvy. So I have written up a rather lengthy and comprehensive guide on how to get this done. Please note that this is mainly intended for people that need every step carefully explained, so it is very detailed - but better that than leave something important out.

Hopefully this will help someone.  :D

This is a guide for Windows. You DO NOT NEED to have or use any kind of SMARTHPHONE for this to work.

All you need are: Windows, WildStar account, WinAuth (link below)

WinAuth: https://winauth.com/

More authenticators: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/94262-need-another-reason-to-use-2-step-how-about-a-mount/?p=957825

Full guide: http://i.imgur.com/IrizxrK.png (one huge image // for linking purposes)

z7zSq2A.png

rni7GRR.png

WAgUnyh.png

SFkoClB.png

69oY7UT.png

5fXF1ze.png

C4Ig1Dn.png

7HbPCnQ.png

ht3O8fR.png

z814OhQ.png

r1gsiSM.png

s4D3eoh.png

rKLOfRF.png

• Like 20

Guest Frostely   
Guest Frostely

This is really great. Thank you.

Can I make few of suggestions. Add in that you need to click "OK" in WinAuth after you've done with the verification code. I know it seems obvious, but it appears some people click cancel because they thought they were done.

Also that if you ever get an invalid login error when going into the game, and you were sure you correctly entered your username, password and the current code, the first thing you should try is right-clicking in WinAuth and choosing "Sync Time". It's likely that the time between the authenticator and the WildStar servers has changed. This will correct it.

Also, that password protection box comes up after the first time you add an authenticator, so worth pointing it out so people expect it before they get to see a code.

• Like 1

This is really great. Thank you.

Can I make few of suggestions. Add in that you need to click "OK" in WinAuth after you've done with the verification code. I know it seems obvious, but it appears some people click cancel because they thought they were done.

Also that if you ever get an invalid login error when going into the game, and you were sure you correctly entered your username, password and the current code, the first thing you should try is right-clicking in WinAuth and choosing "Sync Time". It's likely that the time between the authenticator and the WildStar servers has changed. This will correct it.

Also, that password protection box comes up after the first time you add an authenticator, so worth pointing it out so people expect it before they get to see a code.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.

I've edited the parts you've pointed out for clarity, and added the "Sync time" clarification. Also wrote up the whole explanation on how to remove the authenticator and the 2-step verification (appended at the end).

• Like 1

Smiley   

This REALLY Needs to be Stickied

Yep!

[x] Vote for sticky!

• Like 1

100% Mods Sticky the cupcake out of this, its a beautifully written guide with pictures and the Wildstar Theme.

Someone give Bathory a Rowsdower Plushie and steal this guide and make it official already.

DO IT.

• Like 1

100% Mods Sticky the cupcake out of this, its a beautifully written guide with pictures and the Wildstar Theme.

Someone give Bathory a Rowsdower Plushie and steal this guide and make it official already.

DO IT.

Hehe.  :wub:  Honestly, I just want more people to start using the 2FA - for all our sake and for better Wildstar.

• Like 1

Hehe.  :wub:  Honestly, I just want more people to start using the 2FA - for all our sake and for better Wildstar.

Yeah but you went to a lot of effort to make it look good.

Anyone could've done screenshots and random blah blah but you made it looks professionally done which saves Carbine so, so much time on the whole issue.

They should give you some freebies and steal your work.

Win/win.

For now, STICKY!

• Like 2

Thank you. Was wondering how i would do this since i dont have a smart phone. :0

Target audience: achieved. Let me know if this was clear and easy to follow, if you drop by again. :)

• Like 1

Tabemono   

Definitely sticky, THIS is what should be stickied already, instead of people saying "Get your 2-step or stfu" Like absolute fools, that shit was so damn annoying, people had the right to complain as there wasn't a dedicated place to find out how to get this without a p.c.

If this gets stickied, they have a dedicated place to find out how to do this, great post man, great post, now if people complain AFTER this gets stickied, then I would have to say they are the ignorant ones!

STICKY STICKY STICKY THIS PLEASE!

It's WildStar not Wildstar. But well done, except for that glaringly obvious mistake.

Yeah I noticed, but seeing it's just a name for the authenticator which can be anything, really, it seemed pointless to go redo everything. Pretty sure nothing is ruined on that account. Even if it is "glaring". :)

Might go back and replace the images when I have time, should still be fine like this though.

Did go back and replaced the images.

• Like 1

This isnt fair I cant afford a smartphone!!

I'm sorry but I have to...

o9PxL5H.jpg

A Detailed Guide on Adding 2-Step Verification for Windows....for Windows....Windows.

• Like 1

Guest Frostely   
Guest Frostely

Pretty sure it was sarcasm.

But not everyone does have a smartphone. Quite evident from reading the authenticator posts on the forum. And they should still have a way to protect their accounts.

Exactly the same issue happened with the mobile authenticator for Blizzard, and that people didn't want to buy the keyfob. Actually the issue was that postage for $20-$40 for outside the US. That's why I created WinAuth in the first place.

Thanks again for the guide.

hmm.. ive had a guide for this since launch.. eh. people are still going to be too stupid to understand or care for the importance of the authenticator .. 

danbig   

just followed all these easy steps worked like a champ big thx... and /bump and plz stick this

• Like 1