Shurchil

The future after the shutdown and final words

Shurchil   

My heart is officially broken. Such a wonderful game will be gone soon. And why? Because the devs actually didnt listen (old veterans will understand that reference #DevSpeakVideos ). Reports say the dev team behind Wildstar didnt believe in the game before it even launched. Why even bother in the first place then? Man....I am so angry, sad, heart-broken and disappointed. FFS I cant believe this. So many memories. Such an amazing game. I was there. From the beginning. From the first Dev Speak Videos to the beta to both releases (launch & F2P). I just cant believe my most loved game will go. It is like saying farewell to an old friend who will fade away due to a bad disease. 

I want to thank Carbine for this amazing game and I want to tell you: the approach was the right one. You just didnt keep up with the game itself. You left it behind and didnt bother. It couldve been the one to survive WoW the most.

I also want to thank NCSoft (#sarcasm) for shutting down one of the greatest games of all time. 

Comming to the real purpose of this thread: 

Since the devs never treated Wildstar the way it deserved, is there any chance that you give out the assets, code and all that stuff so people can keep the game running/improving? Example: Epic Games did that with Paragon. Maybe players/independent devs can run some sort of "private" server? Crowdfunding for support or something? I dont know. I just cant believe the game is getting shut down not because it is a bad game but because the devs never had faith in the whole IP.

Sincerly, one who love the game more than the devs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-NXdWk9sm8

Edited by Shurchil

Well, first is that assets, code and other stuff are all belong to the NCSoft, not to the devs. And NCSoft restricted to release F2P-trailer-song for band they payed for to make it.

And second, many devs are very passionate about Wildstar and loving it. And they are even more sad about WS death even more than you or me. But they are not management, they can change nothing.

• Like 1

Smoo   

Why would they suddenly release game source code?

They didn't do it for CoH.  They shutter games and hope the players to migrate to the newer ones.  They are clearly run by bean counters.

If they release code, that's potential profit outright lost.  If they bury it, there is a slight chance that you spend money on another NCsoft game.  The only meaningful way for people to respond to this is to never give money to NCsoft again.  If you give them any money after they shutter your game, you're just proving to them you're a dancing monkey that throws money at them.

City of Heroes/Villains.  Auto Assault.  Tabula Rasa.  And now Wildstar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCsoft#Closed

10 closed titles.  Thank them by closing your wallet.

Tad   

I never got the chance to play any of those games and I’m sure they were fun, and I’m sure behind the scenes they all had some sort of issue behind them that couldn’t be resolved to a point where the game was forced to be shut down, much like in the case of Wildstar. That’s basically what you do. NCSoft is following the same business model that every other company has, when you see your sub-company tanking and dropping their numbers like flies and not improving, then its time to cut your losses. It’s Business 101. It doesn’t take a business major or a rocket scientist to figure this out. 

So I wouldn’t put any blame on NCSoft as they are doing what’s right for them, business wise. Put the blame on the sub-company that developed those games because they are the ones that screwed it up for everyone else.

Edited by Tad

I've known a few talented programmers who are able to rip the codes from server and games on their 1st day of beta release. And Wildstar isn't out of that list when it launched. But.. as many of you know, this game and their management (CEO in fact) has lots of problems and major bugs (hardware killer) and "sales perspective error" during launch and most of these guys simply left the game without giving it a second glance. It's only up till recently that the game has changed to a smooth running with "less" bugs (some bugs are there since launch). This game has never been on a smooth track since launch and it's a miracle that it stayed alive for this long (Thanks to the fans with their contributions in real money).
But it's too late to get those guys interest to even take a look on this dying game, let alone backing out the codes and reverse engineer the links... We've been in too many games in the past few years and seen many births and deaths of MMO games until it's no big deal and not shocking anymore.
Fact is, this game has never reached the track as a "major" game ever since launch and stayed a "lesser" game since then. The bad image at launch has made it real hard to get the old players to come back (and not talk bad about the game "everywhere" they go), even though the returning players are almost 100% at shock of how well it has improved and fell in love with the game a 2nd time. This game has missed its golden time to reach the track and being left behind by other games of the same age (or older) is the final result we had to accept. A game without an actual "good will" will make it hard even for private servers builders to accept in a long run, hey, private servers ain't free of cost you know?

Edited by Ratatattat