Meyoline

Player Home Housing Contest!

Meyoline   
Posted (edited)

HVMasKj.png

(This thread can be quick linked to via tinyurl.com/WShouse1 - feel free to share around!)

ATTENTION ALL HOUSING ENTHUSIASTS: this is not a drill! This is a real, live, player-run housing contest! Interested in showing off your epic housing skills and possibly winning some great prizes? Then read on!

The prompt is simple: we're designing player houses! More specifically, the Mordesh and Mechari racial player houses.

To explain: A long time ago (in a galaxy not so far away...), Pappy once said in response to a question during a stream that if the community held a housing contest to design the Mechari and Mordesh houses using available in-game assets, that they would consider using one of the winning entries for the ACTUAL racial houses. To date, no one has held these contests, so now I'm going to xD

For this first contest we are going to be focusing on the Mechari house design. HOWEVER, there will be a PART TWO to this contest to focus on the Mordesh house design (most likely after the Shade's Eve event), so stay tuned!

That's all well and good, but what else is in it for you, am I right? Well how about this:

ZhKuAfa.png

First place: 4,500 Protobucks and 30 plat
Second place: 2,500 Protobucks and 20 plat
Third place: 1,500 Protobucks and 10 plat

XhrdrMj.png

The contest will run from Monday, August 20th (today) until Thursday, September 20th.

-- Please have your entry submitted and ready for judging by 11:59 pm EST Thursday, September 20th.
-- Judges will be sent a list of entries to review starting on the 21st, and running until the 28th.
-- Winners will be announced September 30th, and contacted in regards to their prizes.

And just so everyone is on the same page, here are the details and rules:

QzopiDf.png

Contest Prompt: Design the internal and external look of the spacious Mechari racial player home. We are looking to design the literal structure itself, including both the inside and outside.

-- Entries will be judged SOLELY on their execution of this prompt, not on surrounding environments/etc.
-- To that end, the plot's ground and skybox options should be set to default. There is no need to create a surrounding environment at all. The ENTIRE focus is on the house structure itself.
-- For similar reasons, please do not fully furnish the inside of the house. Having an 'accent piece' in a similar vein as the shelf-seat of Exile houses or as the stage in the bunker house is fine, as those are parts of the structure itself.
-- It is okay if using F-key to enter the house interior is required instead of right-clicking the door due to decor placement.
-- You are free to use existing player racial houses as a base and build on top of them, or to create entirely free-standing pieces. (though obviously the interior set will have to have an opening left so it can be entered)
-- Please keep the sizes roughly consistent with 'spacious' player homes. Structures can be uniquely-shaped, but nothing so large as the Osun house, for example. The design should fit in with other Wildstar player home designs.
-- Any and all usable decor is allowed, even rare drops or store-bought decor.
-- Re-coloring decor pieces is also allowed.
-- Creating the builds on a stand-alone plot (read: not a community plot) is preferred to ensure the judges can visit the plots easily. The plot itself must be set to Public so the judges can access it.
-- Judges will be given a scoring rubric to assign scores to every entry, and the entries with the highest combined scores will be the winners! Judging elements will include execution of the prompt (how well it represents the race), functionality of the space as a player home, style, and creativity.

QZxiXed.png

-- Please make sure you have read the above details and accept working within them.
-- Entrants MUST accept the possibility of Carbine/NCSoft/Wildstar potentially using their designs for actual player houses, and with no further compensation from doing so other than whatever prizes you may/may not win as part of this contest.
-- Entries MUST be received by 11:59 pm EST Thursday, September 20th.
-- Contest is open to both NA and EU server participants.
-- Many may enter, few will win. There is a chance random participation rewards will be given (chosen using dice roll), but there is also a chance you will win nothing at all.
-- Entrants have to be willing to accept a friend request at least temporarily in order to receive their prizes (it's just how the in-game store works).

If you cannot accept all of the above rules, then do not enter the contest. By entering the contest you are accepting these rules and related Terms/Conditions set forth by Wildstar in the terms of service.

b3LYY6w.png

Please copy, paste, and fill out the below form in a reply to this thread as your official entry. You are allowed to post up to two images (one for external shot of the build, one for internal shot of the build) if you want to, but it is not required. Entries will be visited in-game in order to be judged.

Name of plot where entry is located:

NA or EU?:

Name of your main character/point of contact (this is also the name you will be credited by if you win, unless otherwise specified):

If you win, would you prefer contact via PM here on the forums, or DM over Discord? (if Discord, please provide contact name). This is to facilitate getting your prizes to you:

Any other notes/comments?:

Screenshots of entry (this is entirely optional):

Edited by Meyoline
  • Like 3

Meyoline   

*kicks formating*

I was going to put an FAQ here, then remembered the posts can't be edited after a few minutes ^_^;; Whoops. Ah well. I will answer any/all questions as they come up.

This is now open to enter! :D

Meyoline   

Adding because I was asked but I can't edit it into the original post: One entry per person!  Also, you are welcome to design the 'cozy' version of the house as well, but as a bonus off to the side on the plot. Your MAIN entry should be the spacious version.

And further clarifying: you will want to design the interior structure, but don't fill it full of sofas, tables, trinkets, etc. It should basically be literally how a brand new player house looks right after you place it. It HAS an interior (and possibly even accent bits like the cassian staircase, exile shelf-seat, draken spires etc) but it isn't full of furniture.  I hope that helps others! :D

EsperXIV   

Awesome idea! If I can scrounge up enough appropriate pieces I'll give this a go. Gonna be challenging to design without creating a supporting environment though, haha.

One question: Is there a preference for existing mechari colours and style? I guess what I'm asking is how much lore should factor into the build concept. For example, the mechari furniture decor establishes the Dominion's red/gold/neutral as mechari racial colours, and has a particular ornate design-- but it would be great to be able to make a sleeker, more detailed sci-fi look using the space chase and eldan pieces.

And one suggestion: It's mentioned that the skybox should be set to default, but skybox choice can dramatically alter the colour and texture of placed items. The default sky in particular also has day/night cycles that would make it difficult to establish a consistent look. It would be cool if we could use other options like the dark, northern lights, or starry night sky, particularly for accent lighting and colour blending. 

Meyoline   
3 hours ago, Mesha Straza said:

Such a fun concept! Can't wait to see what people do with this premise!

I'm glad you like it! I'm super stoked to see what people come up with : D I've already heard a few neat ideas flying around.

12 minutes ago, EsperXIV said:

Awesome idea! If I can scrounge up enough appropriate pieces I'll give this a go. Gonna be challenging to design without creating a supporting environment though, haha.

One question: Is there a preference for existing mechari colours and style? I guess what I'm asking is how much lore should factor into the build concept. For example, the mechari furniture decor establishes the Dominion's red/gold/neutral as mechari racial colours, and has a particular ornate design-- but it would be great to be able to make a sleeker, more detailed sci-fi look using the space chase and eldan pieces.

And one suggestion: It's mentioned that the skybox should be set to default, but skybox choice can dramatically alter the colour and texture of placed items. The default sky in particular also has day/night cycles that would make it difficult to establish a consistent look. It would be cool if we could use other options like the dark, northern lights, or starry night sky, particularly for accent lighting and colour blending. 

Just to ask, why would it require a supporting environment? Our current player houses come as-is, and we supply the surrounding environment tailored to our tastes. Unless you mean the physical structure. Which, to clarify, it's totally fine if you want to use a pre-existing player house model as a 'frame' to build on!

There are no preferences. Something that follows the 'look' and 'feel' of Mechari-themed items makes sense, but even that look and feel can cover a good range, with varied effect. Again, something similar to how each race's current player houses draw from aspects of their race's architecture and style. That said, the Mechari and Mordesh uniquely don't have an over-abundance of their stylistic architecture present in the game, so this leaves a wide-open opportunity to develop it further :D  Dominion red/gold/neutral could work, sleeker sci-fi could work, mad scientist could work, humble approximation of an Eldan dwelling could work. There are many, many possibilities, and they will all be considered!

While true that the skybox can alter the look and feel of a plot, we also need a base standard to judge everyone on, hence default. It is the only sky absolutely guaranteed to be available to everyone. Also, judges are being asked to specifically evaluate plots during the day when everything can be seen clearly. So unfortunately, no, alternative skyboxes will not be allowed. Again, similar to current player houses, the house itself should work well entirely independent of the plot details and settings around it. If a house looks marvelous under starry sky but looks horrendous under Protosummer, how should we score it?

-------

And some separate confirmations/clarifications from outside questions/direct messages/whispers I've received from folks but want to make sure it's all here for others to read as well:

--Using the Interactables feature of Katia's builder toolkit addon will not be allowed. Between the varying schedules of the judges and numbers of potential participants, it just isn't feasible to arrange, my apologies.

--The interior and exterior builds do NOT have to be a single build. They can be two entirely separate structures on a single plot. You could build and position the exterior so that the bunker entrance acts as the 'door' to the interior, and thus craft a unique interior inside the bunker space if you wish. You could have the exterior freestanding off to the side and use a black hole house for the interior. The possibilities are endless! The ONLY thing that needs to happen is the exterior has to be viewable from the outside (it doesn't necessarily have to be able to be entered), and the interior has to be viewable from the inside, so it DOES have to be able to be entered. This can be as little as a door-sized hole.

--Especially with creative use of decor, we know there's going to be decor parts jutting every which way. The interior design isn't going to lose points if it's a freestanding build on the side of the plot that looks like a jangled mess of a decor monster from the outside - it's only the inside we care about xD And similarly goes for the exterior build - how it looks inside with overlapping decor and such will not matter.

--Sizes: related to the above notes, it is very likely the inside of the interior build will be larger in space than the exterior build. That's fine! That's actually how current player houses work. The inside is somehow always magically bigger than the outside. Let that magic continue ;D Or don't if you'd rather not and feel your build works with a smaller interior. That's fine too!

--If you have any concerns you are welcome to ask me here, in-game, on discord, or in DMs. You can also use the notes section of the entry form to direct judges on how to enter the interior space if it's weird/tricky, that's fine. All the judges are very used to how housing works, so using the F-key or positioning themselves uniquely won't be a problem! ^_^

--No, Mordesh houses will not be accepted at this time. There will be a part two to this contest! We are not looking to ignore the Mordesh, not at all. There will be a break between this contest and the next to allow for Shade's Eve (and the potential contest that comes with that).

...I think that was everything thus far. Gosh I feel like I'm forgetting a few whispers suddenly *_*  Thank you everyone for your patience and enthusiasm!

EsperXIV   

A few quick replies--

By the environment comment I just meant it would be hard for me personally to focus a build on a single home because I'm so used to making landscapes. xD  Wasn't a specific comment on the contest regulations or anything, just a personal challenge.

I'm really glad there's some freedom with the visual themes, especially since it's currently Eldan month for the Reno event. :D

Aaand for the skybox, I can kind of see what you're saying, but I'm not sure what you mean by the question 'how should we score it?' My assumption is that each builder would choose the sky that best fits the colour concepts they want to convey, and thus everything balances out according to the creator's vision. While I understand the point that the default sky is available to everyone, and it seems you'd like to create a kind of fair, even judging for this aspect of the plot, it seems odd to enforce fairness for that one criteria when it's already a bit overturned by access to gold, real money, and rare decor. 

That said, my main issue would be that the default sky at day is bright and has a tendency to 'pastel' a lot of builds, make metal textures look kind of dusty/bad, and mitigate any hope of dense vibrancy of colours (which is usually only achievable using darker skies). It's a personal preference in the end I suppose, but I find the daytime/brighter skies tend to be the worst for making tech type builds, and if I had to make a mechari house using only the default daytime sky I would feel pretty limited, creatively. And the Mordesh theme would be even worse since they seem quite gloomy.

Plus as the cycles rotate many builders would be forced to stop working on the plot until daytime comes back, to ensure consistency for the build (and on that note, the default sky has four rotations through dawn-day-sunset-night). So that would be a bit of a headache. :(

Aaanyway sorry for making such a long-winded series of points. :P 

Prox... don't think poorly of me... I always build with the default sky (with orange sconces at night) and change the skies later. Its super impressive that you put that much thought into it!

• Like 1

Meyoline   
1 hour ago, EsperXIV said:

--snip--

You're free to have other decor (like an environment) on your plot, but they will not be accounted for in the judging/scoring. The ONLY thing being judged is the internal and external builds of the house.

The skybox problem is firstly an issue of having a base/standard to judge from, as previously mentioned. The second issue is the intended point/use/end result of this contest. If a build ONLY looks good under one specific sky? Then it actually does not suit the intended goal. There can be an ideal sky/presentation, sure. But the end goal of the contest is a player house, similar to those already in game. None of those houses are limited to a single sky as being the best/only one that can be used with it. The same needs to be true of the winners from this.

I'm very sorry if using default sky will feel limiting to creativity. You are free to have any sky up while building of course, but there was no other sky with a bright and clear light option that was readily available to all to serve as a standard to judge by.

EsperXIV   
18 hours ago, Chryseia Lockless said:

Prox... don't think poorly of me... I always build with the default sky (with orange sconces at night) and change the skies later. Its super impressive that you put that much thought into it!

I'm amazed anyone can build without struggling over sky choice. xD Two Suns will turn your whole plot orange, Outerspace will greenify most of your plot, Northern Lights will blue-ify things in a big way, default sky's dawn causes pink/pastel whereas day makes a lot of stuff look like it's been hit with a powder brush... most of the skies have this overbearing colour saturation that can also ruin textures for some themes. D:  I find it incredibly hard to look past.

Heck, part of the reason I slowed down on building is that I was tired of always using the same 2-3 skies in rotation (Dark, Defaults, and Ominous are pretty much the only skies I can stomach nowadays). If we had the ability to choose a skybox and then select or turn off colour saturation, I would be in *heaven* with all of the new choices.

Anyway, no biggie for the contest. The only other thing I'll mention as a heads up is that there are two default skies in WS:  When you start a fresh plot, that's Default 1. If you change your starting sky to something else, and then change it back, you will be using Default 2, and you will *never again* be able to access Default 1 on that plot. So if any entrants have changed their entry plot's sky at any point in the past, they will be locked into using D2 for the contest, whereas if their plot is fresh they will be using D1. If you want 100% consistency you'd have to insist players use D2 (because it's the only one that could be universally attained), which means they'd have to permanently give up having the D1 option on that plot.

Mind, I'm not sure to what degree, if any, this change affects colour saturation or day/night rotation. I know it's a definite skybox change-- the moon will be much larger, for example-- but it may not change anything significant for the contest. So while it might not affect the contest, it could be worth looking into by comparing D1/D2 plots using the same layout (maybe just a basic house with a few decor tossed down to test saturation).

Ketarii   

Name of the plot where entry is located: Akira Mawheart

NA or EU?: NA

Name of your main character/point of contact: Akira Mawheart

Any other notes/comments: I had a LOT of fun making this! and I did my best to model it like how the devs probably would have.

Screenshots of entry:unknown.pngunknown.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Name of plot where entry is located: Mechari Challenge (toon- Taryn Straza)

Name of your main character/point of contact: DM on Discord (Mesha Straza #8674)

Any other notes/comments?: Plot now public

Spoiler

Profile.jpg

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

entry.jpg

Spoiler

SecondFloor2.jpg

Edited by Mesha Straza
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Name of plot where entry is located: Kula Markara

Name of your main character/point of contact (this is also the name you will be credited by if you win, unless otherwise specified): Alako Sovak

If you win, would you prefer contact via PM here on the forums, or DM over Discord? (if Discord, please provide contact name). This is to facilitate getting your prizes to you: Discord - (Alako Oniko Judith Fenrin#5013)

Any other notes/comments?: Exterior and interior are two separate builds -- Exterior is in the center of the plot -- Interior is on the South end of the plot -- the two builds are the only decor on the plot currently -- Interior is intended to be viewed from the inside (entrance is a doorlike hole in the East side of the structure)

Exterior: Kula_Markara.180830.170515.png

Interior:

Kula_Markara.180830.170433.png

Edited by OnikoGhost
  • Like 2

t209   
On 8/23/2018 at 5:23 PM, Ketarii said:

Name of the plot where entry is located: Akira Mawheart

Name of your main character/point of contact: Akira Mawheart

Any other notes/comments: I had a LOT of fun making this! and I did my best to model it like how the devs probably would have.

Screenshots of entry:unknown.pngunknown.png

Ummm, I think I cannot see the screen shots.

Posted (edited)

Name of plot where entry is located: "Architects of Empire" owned by Akkadia Lockless

Name of your main character/point of contact (this is also the name you will be credited by if you win, unless otherwise specified): Chryseia Lockless

If you win, would you prefer contact via PM here on the forums, or DM over Discord? (if Discord, please provide contact name). This is to facilitate getting your prizes to you: Discord please - Chryseia#2374

Any other notes/comments?: Exterior should be obvious. Interior - look for the small gap in the aurin cylinder, then jump up on top of the gear trophies to get inside. Spacious Cassian fabkit is empty and was placed so I could measure the approximate volume/visually compare the approximate exterior size. UPDATE: Plot is now public!

Screenshots of entry:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

Other Details:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Chryseia Lockless
  • Like 1

Meyoline   
On 8/30/2018 at 9:44 PM, t209 said:

Ummm, I think I cannot see the screen shots.

They show up to me and a few others I asked to check. Maybe it's your browser or an image host server issue? Not sure :( sorries.

Name of the plot where entry is located: Ksenia Pavotz

Name of your main character/point of contact: Ksenia Pavotz

Any other notes/comments: Please be sure to check the side after you enter the house to get to the second floor. Plot permissions set to public. Please visit!

Screenshots of entry: 

Ksenia_Pavotz.180907.133951.png?width=1035&height=583

Ksenia_Pavotz.180907.135329.png?width=1035&height=583

Ksenia_Pavotz.180907.134116.png?width=1035&height=583

Ksenia_Pavotz.180907.134128.png?width=1035&height=583

Edited by CheesyPaninie
added screenshots
  • Like 2

I just want to say thanks to Meyoline for holding this contest. Doesn't matter how things go with Wildstar, but I'm just thankful I got to make a last project with that time. Thanks so much for giving me something to do. I had a lot of fun :) 

• Like 2

Meyoline   
On 9/7/2018 at 1:56 AM, CheesyPaninie said:

I just want to say thanks to Meyoline for holding this contest. Doesn't matter how things go with Wildstar, but I'm just thankful I got to make a last project with that time. Thanks so much for giving me something to do. I had a lot of fun :) 

Aww. Thank you so much for saying that. I really appreciate it <3  And I'm very glad you had fun! ^_^

Just to add as a point of clarification for everyone in the wake of our sad news: this contest will still run to completion (unless, of course, a server end date much sooner than expected is announced, in which case we will quickly make adjustments here). It's been pointed out to me that the protobucks rewards might be pointless now, but we can still give out the plat and accolades of course.

On the whole I just want to say thank you to everyone who has or will participate, to everyone who has helped or supported this in any way - thank you all very much. This community is the best I have had the honor of being part of.

• Like 1

Name of plot where entry is located: Noria Detail

Name of your main character/point of contact (this is also the name you will be credited by if you win, unless otherwise specified): Myya Longtail

If you win, would you prefer contact via PM here on the forums, or DM over Discord? (if Discord, please provide contact name). This is to facilitate getting your prizes to you: Discord. Myya#9017 

Any other notes/comments?: External is in the middle of the plot, and the internal is in the bunker. Note that I've put the interior "exit" more toward the center from where the ladder is, since the bunker doesn't allow for good symmetry. Also, thanks much for running this!

Screenshots of entry (this is entirely optional): Will try to upload in a bit...

Meyoline   
Posted (edited)

Heyo all! Judging has concluded, scores have been tallied, and it is now time to announce the winners! :D

First place: Chryseia Lockless (plot: Akkadia Lockless)
Second place: Alako Sovak (plot: Kula Markara)
Third place: Mesha Straza (plot: Taryn Straza)

Fourth place: Ksenia Pavotz (plot: Ksenia Pavotz)
Fifth place: Myya Longtail (plot: Noria Detail)

Prizes have been sent! Since store purchases can no longer be gifted, I increased the plat prize amounts and included some decors/fay dyes as well. Everyone who participated will recieve something. ^_^

I just wanted to say thank you so much again to everyone who participated in this contest, as well as highly encourage others to visit these plots and check out the builds for yourself. They really are great! Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Meyoline
  • Like 1

**Throws confetti and releases balloons**

Thanks to everyone who participated and thank you Meyoline for hosting such a fun contest!