Sushi Chef

Steam wallet can't buy protobucks +possible fix

THE PROBLEM
I've been trying for 3 weeks to purchase protobucks with my steam wallet. I have purchased some with this method before, so I do not understand why this time is not working

I login in steam
> start wildstar
> in wildstar, i open the shop
> click the buy protobucks icon
> this icon opens the steam overlay
> on this overlay, a browser window opens with the title "buy protobucks"

This window is usually where I would see a selection of protobucks amount to choose from -- except that now it displays an error message (and i can't select anything). The error message reads "Something went wrong on our end. Please try again in a few minutes."
2kh1Go0G_o.jpg

I originally contacted NCsoft support, but was told this problem is caused by the steam overlay, therefore they can't do anything about it and I should talk with steam support instead. So I exchanged messages with the steam team for 3 days, and everything they suggested did not work and am now told to go back to NCsoft support because steam is unable to solve it (lol...)

FIX SUGGESTIONS
While talking with the steam staff, they recommended the following:
(maybe someone will have better luck than i did XD)

When the patcher opens for wildstar, on top click the settings gear icon, then select "repair"

Wait a while and try your purchase again. When you attempt your purchase again, allow at least one minute for each step during the process. (If you reach far enough to begin your purchase, do not close the transaction window until you've received an email confirmation of the purchase)

The Steam Overlay must be functioning correctly for in-game purchasing to work (you can test the functionality of the overlay by using shift+tab in-game)

1. Exit any open game
2. Click on "Steam" in the top left of the menu bar, then select "Settings"
3. Go to the "In-game" Tab
4. Check the "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" checkbox
5. Re-test the issue

Check to make sure the game you are attempting to purchase in is not running as Administrator or with elevated permissions as this can cause the overlay to not work

1. To do so, locate the .exe (typically found in game's folder: ...\Steam\steamapps\common\[name of game]\...)
2. Once you've found the .exe right click it, select 'Properties' and then the 'Compatibility' tab and make sure 'Run this program as an administrator' is unchecked
3. Re-test the issue.

Overlay issues are typically caused by third-party software preventing the overlay from activating or incorrect settings in Steam. A good first step is to disable any antivirus or other overlay/gaming on-screen display software (discord overlay, etc) you may be running and re-test the issue.

You can use the web version of Steam to accomplish what you're unable to do in the client.  (i.e. copy paste the url of the "buy protobucks" browser window)

Reinstall wildstar on steam

STILL NOT WORKING!
I have done ALL of the above and still am unable to make a purchase... It's very frustrating and I'm dead set on using my steam wallet for it lol I guess at this point, my only option left is to try and re-install the steam client altogether and *hope* it will fix it. Which honestly, is not something I am inclined to do, considering I have a lot of games installed and by reinstalling the client, you can lose saved game content... (I've already had to restart my games once, i don't really want to do it twice)

Though I hear you can purchase NCoins with steam wallet and then convert it into protobucks so perhaps that is an option... even though the quantity of protobucks you get with this method is less than if purchased through the in-game shop directly (?)

Anyone else is having this issue? I'm literally out of ideas on how to fix it and everyone's support team seem to be tossing me around like a ball not knowing what to do with the problem... lol

Sunshine   

Do you still have your ticket number for NCSOFT Customer Support still handy? If you can get me that, I can follow up on our end and see if there's anything we can do. There may be a way to work around having to do a fresh install of Steam--have you tried to uninstall all third-party software and other programs that may be bugging the overlay, then following the above steps?

Hi Sunshine!
The only thing I've downloaded since my last successful purchase are wildstar addons and discord (I was signed out of discord when I tried making purchases and its overlay feature is disabled). I'll try uninstalling discord and see what happens. My wildstar ticket was #18776792

Ok, so I uninstalled discord and restarted my computer. I opened steam and went into wildstar to try and make the purchase, but the same error message is showing. I have another game on steam that uses the same method for making purchases, so I decided to check it out and theirs is working properly. So I don't think the steam overlay is the root of the problem (?)

Sunshine   

Thanks Sushi Chef—I'll check with out CS department about your ticket, and see if there's an idea of what could be going on. Though I'm curious about the addons, and maybe one of those are causing an issue since it may not be discord. Can you disable your addons and see if that helps?

Sunshine   

Update for you Sushi Chef -- completely log out of WildStar and make sure that you're not in the game client. Through the Steam App click "Steam" then go to Settings > Web Browser > then click  "Delete Web Brower Cache" and "Delete All Browser Cookies".

Let us know if that works or not.

Thank-you for your quick suggestions! I deleted the web browser cache/cookies in steam, then restarted steam and disabled all of my addons in-game. The error message is still going strong D:

Is there another way to purchase protobucks with steam wallet other than using the in-game button?

Sunshine   
On 5/11/2018 at 11:35 PM, Sushi Chef said:

Thank-you for your quick suggestions! I deleted the web browser cache/cookies in steam, then restarted steam and disabled all of my addons in-game. The error message is still going strong D:

On 5/12/2018 at 12:05 AM, Sushi Chef said:

Is there another way to purchase protobucks with steam wallet other than using the in-game button?

Ugh! I'm sorry the last troubleshooting idea didn't pan out.

Have no fear--there is a workaround. If you remember your account login (you should be able to see this via Steam--go to Character Select and then log out and your account email address will be displayed), you can purchase Protobucks directly from your NCSOFT account page.

We'll still investigate, but at least there's a way for you to get currency, even if it isn't through Steam.