Sign in to follow this  
CRB_Spellchecker

Arboria and its Moons

Posted (edited)

The Planet Arboria

Arboria orbits a single yellow star formerly referred to by astronomers as Arba. In antiquity the star was known simply as Brightheart to the Aurin, and many still refer to it by that name. Following the Dominion’s harvest of the planet, the star’s official name was changed by Chua engineers and scientists to RS-833 (identifying it as a “Resource Site”).

Arboria is one of six planets orbiting Arba. Of the six, Arboria is the only planet capable of sustaining life. Two of the remaining planets, Thu and Kaiom, are little more than sun-baked rocks with a shared elliptical orbit. The remaining planets—Yavah, Dhun, and Arell—are massive gas giants that circle at the far edge of the solar system.

The Arborian Moons

There are four moons orbiting Arboria at various distances and speeds—Forya, Myill, Valra, and Zynan. In Aurin myth, Arboria itself is personified as a matria while the four moons act as her consorts.

The smallest moon, Forya, is the first of Arboria’s consorts and her staunch defender. With his crimson surface, Forya glows brightly at sunset when present above the horizon (an event that occurs every three months). In myth, Forya is a scrappy hunter with a fiery temper, and the Aurin consider his sanguine light to be an auspicious sign when preparing for the hunt.

Myill, referred to as the Watcher’s Moon, is a rocky body with a turquoise hue. The topography of the moon casts shadows on his surface that, from Arboria, resemble a pair of watching eyes. During the course of his orbit, Myill’s “eyes” are steadily lost in Arboria’s shadow. When both eyes are obscured, Myill is considered to be asleep and the vigilance of Aurin watchers intensifies in his absence.

Valra is the largest moon, a bright white body with a particularly slow orbit. The Valra of myth is a female Aurin who soothes the sick and injured with herbs gathered beneath her comforting light. Many such herbs only come into bloom at night, and Valra is considered the patron moon of Aurin herbalists. Aurin healers believe that Valra’s light aids in the healing process.

Zynan’s indigo surface reflects little light, yet the Aurin are always aware of her location in the sky. She is the Tender’s Moon, rarely seen but always present, ensuring the forests are carefully nurtured. Aurin myth reveals that seeds and saplings planted beneath Zynan’s subtle radiance are destined to grow swiftly.

Arborian Moon Signs

A complex system of lunar astrology has been developed by the Aurin, incorporating the four moons, their characters and moods, and their influence on those born beneath their varying lights. Depending on the day of an Aurin’s birth, one or two of the four moons are considered dominant based on how gibbous they appear. Though uncommon, some Aurin are born on days when three moons are full and visible. A night with four gibbous moons is especially auspicious, and only occurs once every 219 years.

The Aurin of Nexus continue to observe such superstitions, and Aurin astrologers have devised complicated simulations and intricate models that keep track of the phases of Arboria’s moons.

Edited by CRB_Spellchecker

Thiefje   
*Smashes the invisible Like button*

One word: AWESOME!!! 

But now... I have questions!

Are the personified characters depicted in Arboria and its moons (the matria and her consorts) regarded as some kind of deities and are they worshipped in some way? If so, how? And are there places of worship?

I'm curious, considering how some of the moons are ascociated with various roles in Aurin society. For example: Myill -> Watchers, Zynan -> Tenders and how Valra is also considered a patron moon for herbalists. 

When it comes to Forya you speak of Aurin warriors, but what is covered by the term 'warrior'?

From what I gathered there seems to have been little conflict between the varying Aurin tribes, at least since the time of Ferin Treespeaker (the first queen) and possibly before that. 

With that in mind it would seem to me there is little need for large standing armies, normally compromised of warriors / soldiers / fighters or whatever term you fancy, save for the Queensguard and local militias acting as guards and police forces.

So who would be implied by the term 'warrior'?

Maybe I'm overcomplicating things here, but Myill is personified as a consort just like the other moons but Aurin watchers, to whom Myill is important, tend to live solitary lives. How does this double role of consort and watcher add up? Or should the personified character and the phsyical characteristics of the moon be considered two seperate things?

The moons appear to be tied to several roles in Aurin society, what about Hunters though? Given how their role in society is both important and a somewhat prestigious one. Is their role tied to any moon(s) or planet?

According to an old post from CRB_HernCo  Aurin consider their awakening day (the day they open their eyes) as the 'true' start of their lives and, I guess, would be considered something we call our birthday.

Mainwhile it would also seem the moons which are dominant at the moment an Aurin is actually born to be important aswell. So in what way do the dominant moons and their lights carry significance? Some examples?

• Like 1

Are the personified characters depicted in Arboria and its moons (the matria and her consorts) regarded as some kind of deities and are they worshipped in some way? If so, how? And are there places of worship?

The characters and attributes given to the moons by the Aurin aren’t considered to be deities, no.

From what I gathered there seems to have been little conflict between the varying Aurin tribes, at least since the time of Ferin Treespeaker (the first queen) and possibly before that.

While the Aurin tribes may get along fairly well, the quick tempers of the Aurin occasionally result in conflict. For the most part, conflict relates to dangerous forest creatures and, in the case of the Dominion, invaders.

With that in mind it would seem to me there is little need for large standing armies, normally compromised of warriors / soldiers / fighters or whatever term you fancy, save for the Queensguard and local militias acting as guards and police forces.

So who would be implied by the term 'warrior'?

Rather than keeping armies or militias, all Aurin are expected to rise in defense of their communities. Some, such as Arwick, are better suited to war than others. The term “warrior” can also apply to hunters (in fact, I may update the document to reflect that, since it’s really what I was [unsuccessfully] implying).

Maybe I'm overcomplicating things here, but Myill is personified as a consort just like the other moons but Aurin watchers, to whom Myill is important, tend to live solitary lives. How does this double role of consort and watcher add up?

Nothing prevents a matria from choosing a watcher as her consort. In practice, a consort who is also a watcher is akin to a matria’s eyes and ears beyond the village, and can also act as her agent towards various ends far from home. Though he may not stay long, a watcher always returns to his village eventually.

The moons appear to be tied to several roles in Aurin society, what about Hunters though? Given how their role in society is both important and a somewhat prestigious one. Is their role tied to any moon(s) or planet?

As I intimated earlier, I’ll likely remove the reference to warriors in preference to hunters.

So in what way do the dominant moons and their lights carry significance? Some examples?

I’ve left this deliberately vague for the moment. One example is the belief that the moons and their respective phases may influence an individual’s personality in various ways (Forya: direct, moody, protective; Myill: perceptive, thoughtful, distant; Valra: caring, empathetic, friendly; Zynan: nurturing, far-sighted, meticulous; etc.). The phases of each moon likely have different effects on the final reading of an individual. Unfortunately, an in-depth overview of Aurin astrology goes far beyond the scope of this document.

Naunet   
Posted (edited)

A complex system of lunar astrology has been developed by the Aurin, incorporating the four moons, their characters and moods, and their influence on those born beneath their varying lights. Depending on the day of an Aurin’s birth, one or two of the four moons are considered dominant based on how gibbous they appear. Though uncommon, some Aurin are born on days when three moons are full and visible. A night with four gibbous moons is especially auspicious, and only occurs once every 219 years.

The Aurin of Nexus continue to observe such superstitions, and Aurin astrologers have devised complicated simulations and intricate models that keep track of the phases of Arboria’s moons.

Could you give us a bit more information on this? Doesn't have to be full-on play by play, but I'd love to see a general order of moons (perhaps so we can roughly correlate them to a calendar year). Characters and moods for each I'm assuming are related to the personalities you described in the four consorts above.

Also: THIS IS AMAZING! And here I go thinking about the effect four moons would have on the ecology and hydrology of the planet. I'm feeling inspired to continue my biome write-ups...

Edited by Naunet
  • Like 1

Thiefje   
Posted (edited)

Thank you for these answers! And I have a few follow up questions if it doesn't derail to much from the original subject.

While the Aurin tribes may get along fairly well, the quick tempers of the Aurin occasionally result in conflict. For the most part, conflict relates to dangerous forest creatures and, in the case of the Dominion, invaders.

Rather than keeping armies or militias, all Aurin are expected to rise in defense of their communities. Some, such as Arwick, are better suited to war than others. The term “warrior” can also apply to hunters (in fact, I may update the document to reflect that, since it’s really what I was [unsuccessfully] implying).

If all Aurin (those able anyway) are expected to rise in defense of their village / community is there some sort of (rudimentary) military or combat training all Aurin are expected to complete at some point?
I can hardly imagine giving untrained civilians any weapons, just for the sake of defending a community, is a good idea. Let alone that they'd last long against an orginised military force, like the Dominion forces accompanying the Planet Reapers, if they completely lack any understanding of basic strategies.
So assuming some sort of training exists, who provides the training?

Additionally, if the Aurin don't have anything along the lines of an army how are the members of the Queensguard selected? Given their duty to protect the queen at all costs you probably can't pick a bunch of random people who will likely panic the moment all hell breaks loose.
Since, from the few times we've seen them (especially in the good old Arkship tutorial's greenhouse area), I got the impression the Queensguard is fairly disciplined and seems to come closest to an Aurin military unit (disregarding the Aurin that joined FCON for a moment).

Nothing prevents a matria from choosing a watcher as her consort. In practice, a consort who is also a watcher is akin to a matria’s eyes and ears beyond the village, and can also act as her agent towards various ends far from home. Though he may not stay long, a watcher always returns to his village eventually.

Oh?
From the "The Woodhaven Watcher" questline in Celestion I was under the impression that a watcher's duty to look after the forest's wellbeing overrides just about everything else. Since the watcher is question, Yalesh Sageroot, refuses to help Woodhaven to fight the Dominion incursions, atleast untill some other issues in the forest are resolved.
With that in mind won't a watcher's duties as a watcher sometimes conflict with assignments from the village's matria when the watcher is simultaneously employed as a matria's agent? And if such a situation arises, what takes priority? Watcher duties or a matria's assignment?
Edited by Thiefje

Myill, referred to as the Watcher’s Moon, is a rocky body with a turquoise hue. The topography of the moon casts shadows on his surface that, from Arboria, resemble a pair of watching eyes. During the course of his orbit, Myill’s “eyes” are steadily lost in Arboria’s shadow. When both eyes are obscured, Myill is considered to be asleep and the vigilance of Aurin watchers intensifies in his absence.

I take it from the description that Myill, at least, is tidally locked to Arboria, like our own moon is with our world or like Mikros is with its sun. Are any of the other moons tidally locked?

Also, you mention Myill's "eyes" being hidden by Arboria's shadow being interpreted as Myill "sleeping" - what about when Myill's own shadow hides its eyes as it enters the new moon phase of its orbit? Does that have a different meaning?

How frequently do lunar or solar eclipses occur with each moon? Our moon isn't eclipsed by Earth's shadow every time it's full and it doesn't eclipse the sun every new moon due to its orbit being a bit tilted relative to Earth's orbit around the sun.

How often do the moons eclipse each other? Are eclipses aligned with Arboria interpreted differently from eclipses that aren't (that is, when a moon crosses the shadow another moon casts from Arba's light but isn't in the same part of the sky as that other moon as seen from Arboria)?

Roda   

Oh golly how you gonna introduce Aurin horoscopes and not elaborate like that?!

• Like 1

TinyOnyx   

Can official lore posts have a pin? It will help to find them faster, instead of browsing the forum for them. :D Thanks

Sunshine   

Can official lore posts have a pin? It will help to find them faster, instead of browsing the forum for them. :D Thanks

Aaaaaaaand, done!