CRB_Caydiem

Ideas: New FABKits!

FABKits are traditionally interesting pre-fab bits you can add to your plot. They can either be decorative and add a few things that are difficult to accomplish otherwise (The Hot Springs see a fair amount of use, for example), add convenience (banks, vendors, runecrafting, etc.), have crazy challenges on ‘em, or just have a few fun effects (The Low-Gravity Pad, anyone?) Some even have secondary interiors, like the Haunted House!

We’re looking to potentially make some more of these snazzy plugs and we’re curious to hear the sorts of things you’d like to see added to the FABKit family. They’re great opportunities for functionality you can’t replicate through décor, so definitely think along those lines.

Now, the usual disclaimers apply: you can ask, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be made (or even that we can, depending on how crazy the request is. ;) ) Still, we’d love to hear what would help elevate your masterful builds even more through the FABKit system.

Post away!

Katya   

1. More FABkits with NPCs (I love the Marauder Cove)

2. More FABkits with secondary interiors

Kaeret   

Protostar-themed challenge fabkits like game show/carnival booths/pizza maker

Taxi cab service/port - add/remove plots to a "favorites" list that you can select from when "taxi-ing" around in housing

Swimmable swimming pool, lake, etc.

Guild Hall - secondary interior type

• Like 4

Roda   

Carousel!

Roller coaster!

Tilt-a-whirl!

GIMME AN AMUSEMENT PARK!

Edited by Roda

Greyn   

Hey,

probably I'm going to ignore the topic a little bit, but it's the only way to get some dev attention.

have crazy challenges on ‘em

Yes, challenges are awesome and an unique WildStar system. BUT, due to the free-2-play transition, you've minimized the fun and especially reward factor of challenges from 10000% to 0,281%. Housing challenges are useless as hell now and in my opinion challenges are overall useless at level 50. And that's a huge huge hugggeeee shame!

What's the problem?

Rewards are actually bad. RUNES RUNES RUNES! Oh and RUNES! Before the awesome change with F2P, almost all challenges had unique and cool rewards. Rewards for it was worth it to go back into low level zones or even doing challenges. Pets and especially decor! Now, it's the same ***** everywhere on Nexus: Runes, Runes, Runes, Runes ... low level items. Why? I don't understand that. That feature was unique, fun and timeless. Now: Useless!

Verizal got it!

There was a long feedback thread about that topic: https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/129816-new-challenge-system-is-unsatisfying/
CRB_Verizal wrote a post about future changes to bring back more unique rewards. Unfortunately no changes with Drop #7.

Challenges are casual content and I know that Caydiem is developing the casual content for WildStar (shiphands, holidays ...). So it would be nice to get any (good) comment about the topic.

Grettings!

• Like 2

EsperXIV   

A dev-initiated post asking for ideas in the housing forum!? Awesome! ;)

I think this is a tough question because, as you mention Cay, the best use of FABs might be accomplishing what decor can't. However, we don't know your design constraints (technical or otherwise) so it's tough for us to speculate based on what we have to work with conceptually. I'll throw out a few ideas though:

1. Some kind of flight. By this I mean a FAB that either puts you in a miniship and lets you fly around, or gives you a jetpack, etc. This would be incredibly beneficial on a few levels: builders could potentially use it to get perspective/create (if you allowed editing while in flight mode); visitors could use it to fly around and see a plot from whole new vantage points (plus potentially, if we could dismount at a click, it could be used to access new heights without staircases uglifying the skylines or the necessity of a gravpad directly under the location).  As far as sci-fi city builds go, this could be a big, big gamechanger. It could also be good practice on the dev side for the inclusion of flying mounts some day. ;)

2. More Pumera Den type FABs that let us 'raise' a family. And with this I strongly urge you folks to start shifting your housing game away from building alone— which will never appeal to all people, especially those who are self-conscious about their creativity— and start to make it a bit more of a 'Sims' experience, which I believe would appeal to a broader audience. The Pumera Den was a good start, but I suggest you make it a little more interesting, like having us gather some materials to feed the pets and maybe have different outcomes if we feed them different things, to create some diversity between different plots. Also go in deep on this idea in other ways... get the garage FAB that lets us choose a half dozen of our favourite mounts to place on showcase pillars, get a zoo FAB for pets, get a clothing store or theater where we can display our favourite costumes, rework the garden FABs so they're not just about growing easily bought food but somehow interact with other aspects of the plot (like you can grow unique plant decor). Make a carpentry FAB that lets players design some basic custom furniture by completing a quest and then applying a dye colour to some basic decor building block shapes. Just do whatever you can to make the housing plot a more versatile and engaging experience for players who don't go crazy with building ~and~ players who do.

3. FABs like the Marauder Cove that give additional/unique NPCs are great, especially because they don't take up Special limit. However, they can also be a little boring sometimes because they tend to be generic across plots. So I recommend making more of these (more sci-fi themes, please!) but try to figure out a way to make them diverse. Take the Refugee Camp basic design and tweak it. Maybe there's a quest but we have two or more ways to complete it, and depending on which way, the outcome is different. Maybe one quest result gives your plot a special sky effect for the day (like a big hologram), while another result gives you a unique music track, and the final one makes everyone who enters the plot glow. Stuff like that. Choose your own adventure questing is a thing I'd like to see more and it could be introduced to great effect on plots, since there are no XP/leveling complications.

4. More FABs that bring in enemies. I'm sure some of you folks at Carbine play Fallout 4— didja see the Deathclaw fighting thing in the recent DLC? I'd like to see something like that in Wildstar, perhaps where you tame pets from the wild and they show up back at home, or perhaps a better version of the boxing ring. In particular, as criticism of the boxing ring, I'd like to see more enemy variance and a chance for players to ~willingly~ amp up the difficulty on these fights. Would also be cool if it came with Fight Music and sound effects, something that would energize a crowd.

5. Arcade FAB. I've seen a bunch of players custom designing arcades on their plots, and it's no surprise... we're gamers, we love games. :P  So while I'm sure it would be difficult (and costly) to produce minigames, I'd like to see Carbine take a shot at something like this. It would also be cool to use a 'high score' system to give us those 80s and 90s vibes. I don't know what it's like in the US but it seems like true arcades are drying up in Canada and it would be great to see them make a comeback in WS!

I'll take a break from this for now, but I think the gist of my requests is to get a lot more creative with FABs and introduce some truly immersive, fun, and potentially gameplay-oriented/changing mechanics to these items. ^_^  I don't think we need FABs that are mainly about looks (since IMO they tend to appear sparse compared to player-made constructs) and I don't like the challenge plots ~at all~. I find the challenges are super dry and, as mentioned, the rewards are usually lame. I'd much rather see lore-based quests or even mini box-in-a-boss encounters that normalize gear (so it's all about learning and skill), are quite hard, but always provide a tiered reward (usually with value for a builder).

Edited by EsperXIV
  • Like 4

I'd like to see FABKits that change the conditions on the whole plot. 

How about a FABKit that imparts the whole plot with the same gravity as the surface of Farside? 

What about one that infests the whole plot exterior with hostiles MObs (think: instant jungle or Squirg outbreak).  I realize that one might not be feasible with the players being able to place solid objects on the plot, but I had to ask. 

What about one that puts the whole plot underwater, minus the landing pad and holocrypt.

You could have one that renders the plot's ground invisible, allowing us to build ships with portholes all around.

I'd love for the landing area to be made a plug that comes with the existing telepad by default.  Let us install biomes or other FABKits to modify the entryway, so we could have a grassy hill or an Eldan platform or a rocky outcrop or even a transport ship with a ramp down.  For a lot of builders, burying, surrounding or hiding that entry point is a frustrating chore that's essential to communicating the concept we want to convey.  Give us a few other options!

• Like 1

Some sort of farmer's market/flea market would be neat. There could be booths with NPCs and the plot owner can deposit a few items to sell to other players. Crafters would be able to sell some of their crafted goods, someone could open up a Rare Items shop, etc. Great for RP, great for the economy, and an alternative to the AH/CX!

• Like 2

GMOBerry   

I want that rotate button to do something and I want to move my fabkits after i placed them. I would also like to be able to access my guild bank using the bank fabkit. 

For funsies: L shaped fabkits that use up all that extra room around our plots.

• Like 5

I appreciate the super-ambitious suggestions and encourage you to reach for the stars on this, but completely new systems (player-created vendors, minigames, etc.) are a bit beyond the scope of the ask for immediate action. ;) You're free to suggest 'em to put them in mind for later goals, of course, but the focus for creations in the near future is a bit more grounded. Here are a few guidelines to help you along:

• Something that would be localized to the 1x1 or 1x2 area (plot-wide effects are not particularly suited to the FABKit system for technical reasons)
  • Something that works with the existing FABKit designated areas
  • Something that works within the existing systems

Again, I totally dig the many concepts you folks have given so far, and please don't stop! A lot of the bigger asks require a great deal of dev time, however, so keep that in mind. :)

Frankly not a fan of the fixed plug positions.  Would love, love, love to have active components (eg, jump pads, banks, crafting stations, portals) as separate placeables.  I really dislike the Strain aesthetic yet I have no choice if I want a handy portal to the entrances of GA and DS.  My plot builds are dictated by where I can put down a low-grav pad and then I have to go and cover them up.

• Like 6

I'd love some way to customize the landing pad. The existing hacks are certainly creative, but they're hard to do and they all have their own drawbacks. Being able to customize the landing pad (like we can customize the walls/doors/roofs/etc. of our houses) would be awesome - choose a hill or a big rock or something like the different faction landing pad decor items instead of the existing metal one.

I'd like some kind of unlock that'll let me place FABkits that require a higher level than the alt I'm on has. Also, a token that'll let me repackage a FABkit so I can stop worrying about where I should put a rare one.

As for the kits themselves, I'd love it if you could make one with something to craft food items on. I thought the BBQ Pit FABkit would do that, but it's purely decorative. Also, I think the Customization Station FABkit has something that looks like a rune crafting station, but that isn't actually functional - I'd like that fixed.

For completely new kits, what about water features that connect? If you place one, it's just a swimmable pond, but if you place more than one adjacent to each other, they connect to form larger bodies of water, and if you add some kind of source/drain plugs (waterfalls or springs and deep pits or waterfalls going over the edge of the plot, respectively) then you'd add currant and get rivers.

Other things I'd love are stables or garages for showing of the mounts you've collected. Something similar for showing off pets would also be awesome.

Also, something to incentivize completing different challenges. I might not have liked the old reward system being RNG-based, but I did like different challenges offering different rewards. Perhaps a daily that requires earning gold/silver in a specific set of challenges?

• Like 4

dinwitt   
  • Something that would be localized to the 1x1 or 1x2 area (plot-wide effects are not particularly suited to the FABKit system for technical reasons)

I'd love to have a fabkit for the raid toys (i.e. grapply hook and jet pack), but I don't know if it would be worth it if you'd only have the fabkit area to play around in.

• Like 1

Mcherios   

I'd like to see more "buff" fabits implemented.

There are several variations I'm thinking about, but for example,

X minute speed buff (maybe even a holo-rings so I can just pick up the buff without stopping/leaving my mount) to get around housing quicker OR make housing minigames.

X minute jump buff (maybe even loftite crystals)

Character modifiers.  (Similar to riot in the void stealth part, if you wanted to pick up a buff you could change into any race without a weapon)

Less realistic but nifty:

Maybe Holdout fabkits?  Actual single player challenges.

Special fabitkits that that "grow" (or attune fully?)  For example, you unlock a base fabkit (lets just say holdout fabkit for example) with 7 floating action bar greyed out options.  You can get special decor (or fabkit 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 or something, whichever works easier) that you can un-grey out each action.  ie beat avatus, drops avatus token, token is imbued into base fabkit and blamo you can have a miniature avatus holdout.  Same can go for mordachai, selene, ohmna etc.  It could also form up different instances, like the kel vorath dungeon one but all in one where you can imbue from all the dungeons and get the mini versions of each in a single fully imbued fabkit.

Edited by Mcherios
  • Like 1

-A Halloween themed 1 plug unit, that opens a weekly portal to the Halloween instance...minus the maze, nobody likes that damned maze, it should be removed and replaced with a sign indicating that the maze is gone

-More dailies

-More Decor vendors

-I also want a FAB kit that open up access to leveling expeditions that provide 2 decent bot players....so that queues actually pop...yes I would rather play with people, but lets face it leveling dungeons and expeditions almost never pop, and when they do somebody will drop and be replaceable.....so it would be nice to be able to access them....with just decent bots, not great bots, but something

-I also want a FAB kit that open up access to leveling expeditions that provide 2 decent bot players....so that queues actually pop...yes I would rather play with people, but lets face it leveling dungeons and expeditions almost never pop, and when they do somebody will drop and be replaceable.....so it would be nice to be able to access them....with just decent bots, not great bots, but something

Unrelated to FABKits, but you can use the Content Finder to enter Expeditions solo - just check "Do Not Find Others." :)

Mcherios   

Already been suggested, but,

Healing Fabit.

Throw down a friendly dummy onto a plot (similar to the dps setup, give me all healing buff options [including a circle on the side simulating gloomclaw]) give the dummy 10k/100m health that resets down to that whenever a certain time period of healing has not occurred.  Or it could be a lattice wall with 1% health you can heal up.

A better version would be a wall taking damage, like a quick lattice wall phase, with different options for damage taken per second etc, but that might be too difficult to make.

• Like 3

crazeOne   

Hey all, I'm fairly new to the housing scene, but I would love if one of the fabkits would be the underground bunker, because I do not want to take down my spaceship to get the bunker.

Also if we could get modules to add underground to the bunker to add additional rooms. Not sure if this is technically feasible. Anyway, love this game and community. Keep it going yall!

• Like 2

Kaeret   

A few more...

Elevator/Lift - possibly able to set how many "stops" it has, working doors, etc Comes in different styles based on race perhaps.

Protostar Re-Painting Facility - allows you to dye Building Block decor in different shades of color/texture (think Customization Station, but for furniture)

Billboard/Notice Board - allows plot owner to leave special notes for visitors, such as rules for a game, areas of special interest, the inspiration behind the plot, etc

Guestbook - allows tracking of visitors, either automatically or when visitor interacts with the book to "sign" it.

Crate of Crates - think storage unit, but for decor. Either as extra crate storage of a kind, or a separate (account-wide) decor-only storage unit.

Guest House/Cottage - think Haunted House FABkit without the Shade's Eve flavoring (or its dreadful interior lighting)

Live Band - the act changes depending on music setting of the plot, ie orchestra, hillbilly band with jug and spoons, rock metal, etc

As for cosmetic ones, my suggestions are based on the types of things many builders build themselves, but that just as many folks either don't have the time to build, or they feel incapable of building it.

Gazebo

Barn

Garage

Dance Hall

Jacuzzi

Swimming Pool (even if not swimmable)

Playground

Graveyard

• Like 8

While I absolutely adore some of the FABkits already in the game, I rarely use them on my plots, mainly because of the following issues:

- The FABkit ground does not adjust to the chosen ground of the plot. This is especially annoying when it comes to 'grassy' FABkits such as the hedge maze one (I could swear they did blend better a couple of drops ago).

- Often the rocks used in the FABkits clash very badly with the ones we have access to in the game, for example all the FABkits using red-ish rocks.

- They are bound to the ground level of the plot, meaning I can't use them 'on the surface' if I decide to either lift my plot altogether or parts of it with the new hills decor. Granted, I could build them into some kind of a cave system, but if I want grassy surface above them, the hills will mirror the FAB-kits' grounds and I end up with ugly dirt patches. I would love to either be able to adjust a FABkit's elevation and/or for the hill decor pieces to mirror the ground as if the FABkit weren't placed there.

Anyway, the FABkits I'd like to see added would mostly be non-challenge ones:

- simple spiral staircase FABkits ending at different elevations and made of different materials so we could incorporate them into our builds,

- more FABkit houses such as the Shade's Eve or the Winterfest one, hopefully at least some of them with entrances higher up or even on the roof,

- a treehouse FABkit of some kind (maybe for the main house slot?).

• Like 5

Kaeret   

And a few more...

Mushroom Jump - More decorative than functional maybe, but a "snipped" scene from Celestion/Wilderrun that includes a number of these mushroom launch pads at varying heights

Hot Air Balloon Ride - Based on the same concept as the skyboat you get to ride to and from the smuggler's ship that is hovering above Thermock Lake in Whitevale, but instead you ride a balloon to and from a floating platform above your plot, for a slow scenic bird's-eye view of the plot.

Daunting Peak - get to the top via combination of climbing mechanics from your own jump and double-jump to using tools such as the beam tethers used in Explorer missions for rappelling, loftite crystals for bouncing boosts, shrink/unshrink me shrooms (like from the wonderland cave) to access nooks and crannies, etc. Maybe each reset of the peak randomly changes its configuration for replay-value.

Settler's Site - a path-related FABkit that allows settler's to use settler resources collected from open world to construct zone-specific settler constructs within the confines of the FABkit zone. For instance, using Farside materials on a 1x2 Settler's Site FABkit might generate the Protostar food vendor, or Wilderrun resources could get you the tower that can be built at the start of that zone, etc.

Cannonball! - forget swimmable pools/lakes (did I just say that?), give us a FABkit-sized swimmable jelly-blob challenge like in Blighthaven.

Edited by Kaeret
  • Like 3

In addition to the many great fabkit ideas other people have already said, I would love to see a fabkit that gives you access to the various zone and faction rep vendors.

This would be a great addition for "city"-type plots, as people could build shop shells around it, and you wouldn't have to create any new decors in order to implement it.

Not sure how feasible it is, but it might be cool to have the vendors "appearing" on the fabkit be unlockable once you reach a certain tier of rep with that faction or zone. I would 100% grind rep, even on alts, if it meant I could do something cool like unlock that rep vendor on a housing fabkit.

• Like 3