Engineer - July Update

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Meerkat

CRB_Meerkat
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hey everybody,

I wanted to give a quick update on the Engineer. These are some of the things we are currently working on or investigating for future updates:

·         Bot AI – In the short term we will continue to resolve bugs as they come up. For the long term we have developed a plan that should greatly improve pet behaviors.

·         Performing audits on all spells in order to address issues that are not obvious but are negatively impacting gameplay.

·         Looking into Revisiting Mortar Strike and finding a place where it could really shine.

·         Cleaning up interaction of spells and AMPs that key off of the 30-70 Volatility zone.

·         General Tank damage output and threat pacing.

o   We’re looking into ways to increase damage output of all tanks and normalizing threat generation.

·         DPS balance across all classes is something we’re actively reviewing and have some major changes in the works.

Generally, the Engineers are in a much better spot now than they were at launch. However - we will be keeping up the work in order to squash bugs, improve bot behaviors, and introduce more quality of life improvements.

Thanks all!

Steven Engle - Lead Combat Designer - Carbine Studios
Wildstar Forums - CRB_Meerkat
Reddit - CRB_Steven
Twitch - Crb_Sengle
Twitter - Steven_Engle

#2 Spythe

Spythe
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Engineer be scared, be very scared. ITS HAPPENING

• Notz likes this

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#3 Elandrian

Elandrian
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know about upcoming changes.  I'll still blame Arty Bot for pulling.

Voodoo
Engineer DPS King
Builds

#4 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Generally, the Engineers are in a much better spot now than they were at launch. However - we will be keeping up the work in order to squash bugs, improve bot behaviors, and introduce more quality of life improvements.

Quality of life improvements like diversified ability mechanics </shameless self plug>, or perhaps new Adventus Heavy Gun weapon models?

Seriously on that last one, there's no reason that the Adventus CW-4 should share a model with the Epochos CW-1.

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#5 IIIII

IIIII
  • Guests
  • LocationBannedia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

The ton of this post doesn't necessarily imply Engi's won't be nerfed a bit, which I do expect to see. As long as other parts of the kite are fixed and buffed accordingly.

Mortar being useful will make a lot of Engis happy.

#6 Seztren

Seztren
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

·         Looking into Revisiting Mortar Strike and finding a place where it could really shine.

Question: Are you focusing more on keeping Mortar strike close to how it is now, while giving it a better niche for damage or utility? Or do you think it needs a complete rework in order to be a viable skill when put up against Electrocute and Bolt Caster, which are usually better all-round abilities?

What sort of ideas do you have for it? Personally I would like to see it reworked into a secondary damage skill or Volatility dump, perhaps a long cooldown burst damage strike that costs a large amount of Volatility, or costs all your Volatility but deals more damage based on how much it consumes? Engineers can sometimes have the problem of having TOO much Volatility and it would be a nice way to offset it.

How do you plan on making it shine when Electrocute is so similar?

Are you focusing on PvE or PvP for these changes? Mortar Strike needs help in both, so please don't neglect one or the other.

• NickTheGreek likes this

Vermana - Dominion - Mechari Female Engineer - Entity (Not by choice.) - KotK Officer - For Science Member - 6/6  || 15/15  ||  7/7 (Pre-Matrix <3)

#7 spankproof

spankproof
  • Members
  • Locationnottingham, england

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

All i want is the self snare gone, After that, we'll talk XD

#8 Ahroo

Ahroo
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Can't wait for updates! Keeping us informed is really great!

Ahroo / Engineer - - Ahrue / Spellslinger

<Asterix> on Caretaker

#9 Seztren

Seztren
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

All i want is the self snare gone, After that, we'll talk XD

Electrocute needs SOMETHING to keep it from being better than Bolt Caster and Mortar in every way. It's an amazing DPS skill that's easy to use, it needs some downside to keep it balanced. Self snare is fine, learn to position yourself better or know when to stop DPSing and move if you want to use Electrocute better.

Vermana - Dominion - Mechari Female Engineer - Entity (Not by choice.) - KotK Officer - For Science Member - 6/6  || 15/15  ||  7/7 (Pre-Matrix <3)

#10 Brewhammer

Brewhammer
  • Members
  • LocationBlockading Your Homeworld

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

It's an amazing DPS skill that's easy to use, it needs some downside to keep it balanced.

EDIT: Nevermind I completely misread what you were trying to say! :)

Brewhammer Balrok / Stoney Balrok Dusty BrancherPhilas Morell / Serisia Morell Brother Mortekai 

#11 rrobe53

rrobe53
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Electrocute needs SOMETHING to keep it from being better than Bolt Caster and Mortar in every way. It's an amazing DPS skill that's easy to use, it needs some downside to keep it balanced. Self snare is fine, learn to position yourself better or know when to stop DPSing and move if you want to use Electrocute better.

That's for PvE though. Self snares in PvP are a huge disadvantage for any class, ranged or melee. Meanwhile, Espers are about to become more mobile, and Spellslingers are incredibly mobile as is. I'd agree with the self snare for just electrocute, but it affects more than just that. Add in the latency makes it so you're not hitting people visibly in the telegraph on your screen, and you're left very aggravated. If they're going to nerf Engineers even further, it'd probably be best to reroll for PvP purposes.

#12 Tyrfang

Tyrfang
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

·         General Tank damage output and threat pacing.

o   We’re looking into ways to increase damage output of all tanks and normalizing threat generation.

·         DPS balance across all classes is something we’re actively reviewing and have some major changes in the works.

Get ready for the nerf bat, folks.

Lower tank threat and Lower DPS - Here we come!

#13 Zettomer

Zettomer
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

If they nerf engineer, they better take SS down a peg with us. Maybe warriors too.

#14 Noraim

Noraim
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

If a PvE damage nerf is in order to level the playing field so be it. But please don't gut the class for PvP. I already rerolled from Medic to Engi for PvP DPS and I swear if I need to reroll again I'm out of here lol.

• NickTheGreek likes this

#15 AndClank

AndClank
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

·         Engineer balance - there was a bug where Engineer's were able to compete with warriors in some categories, this has been fixed.

• Notz, ArEs974 and inberno like this

#16 Seztren

Seztren
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

That's for PvE though. Self snares in PvP are a huge disadvantage for any class, ranged or melee. Meanwhile, Espers are about to become more mobile, and Spellslingers are incredibly mobile as is. I'd agree with the self snare for just electrocute, but it affects more than just that. Add in the latency makes it so you're not hitting people visibly in the telegraph on your screen, and you're left very aggravated. If they're going to nerf Engineers even further, it'd probably be best to reroll for PvP purposes.

I don't PvE very much. I was talking about PvP and PvP alone.

Electrocute is amazing DPS and needs something to keep it balanced. The snare.

If you want to buff Electrocute, bring its Range back to 25 Meters where it was before or its Width back to 3 Meters, one or the other. The snare needs to stay or else people will be kiting with Electrocute all day long, which is just OP.

·         Engineer balance - there was a bug where Engineer's were able to compete with warriors in some categories, this has been fixed.

xD I lol'd. Yeah. Warriors are pretty much superior on all counts. Kinda silly.

#17 Rex_Marksley

Rex_Marksley
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

-snip-
·         Looking into Revisiting Mortar Strike and finding a place where it could really shine. -snip-

Thanks for the update.
No more (5m?) deadspace between the characters feet and the start of the telegraph?

#18 Spaisekraft

Spaisekraft
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I don't PvE very much. I was talking about PvP and PvP alone.

Electrocute is amazing DPS and needs something to keep it balanced. The snare.

If you want to buff Electrocute, bring its Range back to 25 Meters where it was before or its Width back to 3 Meters, one or the other. The snare needs to stay or else people will be kiting with Electrocute all day long, which is just OP.

xD I lol'd. Yeah. Warriors are pretty much superior on all counts. Kinda silly.

Except tanking. Engineers are so, so much better at tanking than warriors are. Although warrior tanks are getting a buff and it sounds like engineer tanks might be getting a nerf. Sigh.. I dropped my warrior tank to level an engineer tank. Carbine hates me.

#19 Strikes

Strikes
  • Members
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

When my group asks me to tank; this is what I do:

1) Stay in DPS Gear/AMP's/Spec

2) Switch my Innate to "Tank"

3) Wreck Face

I can keep threat better doing that; than actually trying/using a Tank Spec and Tank Gear. Maybe "Support" needs to directly effect "Taunt Numbers" or something.... I really don't know. (Primary DPS so I'm out of my comfort zone here)

Want to do something with Mortar Strike? Instead of a burst-spender make it something that we'd put into a rotation and combo well off another ability. If it acted like "Quick Burst" and had a lasting DOT/Debuff Effect then I might actually put it on my bar. (I don't PvP) Engineers really don't have a gap closer either; perhaps trash it and turn it into "Strike Pulse" - A skill that flashes us forward and does AOE damage.

Founder of Vigilant Addiction

Click to Join VA!

Ages 21+ | Mature/Silly Environment | Casual/Core | TS3 | Website | Established in 1999 | NA Based but all Welcome!

#20 pew pew

pew pew
  • Guests
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Call me a pessimist but all I got out of the above was we are probably going to see a damage nerf and that is about it.

All I am asking is if we get nerfed please for the love of god buff our utility.