Spellslinger - July Update

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Tranagram

Tranagram
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hey Spellslingers,

I wanted to update you all on upcoming changes to the Spellslinger, and provide some insight on the direction for the future. But first, an introduction:

The name's Tranagram.  And I'll be taking over as the principal designer of the Spellslinger. This change is a result of Meerkat assuming new responsibilities, and having to pass on some of his current workload. That said, Meerkat remains the principal designer of the Engineer (and Aodz is still the Class Team Lead).

As for my background, prior to joining Aodz and the Class team, I was working with Timetravel and crew on Dungeons and Raids.

Now, the update you've all been waiting for (which will come in a future patch that still has a date TBD)...

• Spell Surge will, once again, be castable while casting
    • We've spent a lot of time working on the back-end of spells to make this happen and we believe it will really help to smooth out Spell Surge’s usage.
  • As a result of the change to Spell Surge, we have also been able to clean up a number of issues with AMP proc events.
    • This will include fixes to AMPS such as The One, Surge Damage, and Healing Aura.

What to expect after the above changes:

• Going forward, we are going to be looking into improving certain aspects of the Support spec.
  • As Meerkat has mentioned previously, all AMPs and Abilities will continue to be improved upon - our primary goal being to make underused AMPs and Abilities more desirable.

That is it for now, I look forward to reading your comments and working with you all to improve upon the Spellslinger’s gameplay experience!

#2 Poobler

Poobler
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi Tranagram!

The Spell Surge change is really exciting.  I'm glad to see you guys taking all our feedback seriously.

Thanks for the post!  Don't be a stranger around here. :)

nice deals for nice people

#3 Mesima

Mesima
  • Members
  • LocationNexus

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yay!

Mesima | <Enigma> | Esper

"By the power of truth I, a mortal, have conquered all creation."

http://www.twitch.tv/mesima

#4 Dante2387

Dante2387
  • Members
  • LocationNarnia

Thanks for the update and gz on taking over SS.

Some questions though if i can be greedy, first about spellsurge change, does that mean it's back to clipping or just a clean up making it less clunky (as in use it during cast and it activates after it?) 

second about flameburst anything about it and way it works with gcd?

Thanks again for the update.

Freya Eir - Level 50 Aurin Spellslinger DPS- Jabbit EU.

#5 Havrish

Havrish
  • Members

Hey Spellslingers,

I wanted to update you all on upcoming changes to the Spellslinger, and provide some insight on the direction for the future. But first, an introduction:

The name's Tranagram.  And I'll be taking over as the principal designer of the Spellslinger. This change is a result of Meerkat assuming new responsibilities, and having to pass on some of his current workload. That said, Meerkat remains the principal designer of the Engineer (and Aodz is still the Class Team Lead).

As for my background, prior to joining Aodz and the Class team, I was working with Timetravel and crew on Dungeons and Raids.

Now, the update you've all been waiting for (which will come in a future patch that still has a date TBD)...

• Spell Surge will, once again, be castable while casting
    • We've spent a lot of time working on the back-end of spells to make this happen and we believe it will really help to smooth out Spell Surge’s usage.
  • As a result of the change to Spell Surge, we have also been able to clean up a number of issues with AMP proc events.
    • This will include fixes to AMPS such as The One, Surge Damage, and Healing Aura.

What to expect after the above changes:

• Going forward, we are going to be looking into improving certain aspects of the Support spec.
  • As Meerkat has mentioned previously, all AMPs and Abilities will continue to be improved upon - our primary goal being to make underused AMPs and Abilities more desirable.

That is it for now, I look forward to reading your comments and working with you all to improve upon the Spellslinger’s gameplay experience!

And every spellslinger in nexus just simultaneously burst into song....

I can't say how happy I am to see spellsurge mechanics will be changed back! Way to make an entrance as the new class lead - welcome!

On a side note, any chance we can get a change to Flameburst to make it usable while casting/channeling another ability - basically the same change that was recently said will be made to medics? Are we the only class now that is unable to use a crit proc in that fashion?

The spellsurge change is a great step, and along with change to the way FB works, we could be right up their with the top dps classes...

#6 Spythe

Spythe
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Solid change, would of liked some adjustments to Flame Burst but can live with this. With that said allowing spell surge to be activated will only slight change the current end game SS rotation, now we won't need a buffer spell to activate spell surge.

And every spellslinger in nexus just simultaneously burst into song....

I can't say how happy I am to see spellsurge mechanics will be changed back! Way to make an entrance as the new class lead - welcome!

On a side note, any chance we can get a change to Flameburst to make it usable while casting/channeling another ability - basically the same change that was recently said will be made to medics? Are we the only class now that is unable to use a crit proc in that fashion?

The spellsurge change is a great step, and along with change to the way FB works, we could be right up their with the top dps classes...

He never said they would be changed back to its previous state, just you can do it while casting now. We still don't know if it will break cast/channel spells... I for one hope not.

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#7 Puldus

Puldus
  • Members
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for that !

Any changes to flameburst so that we can cast it while casting like all the other on crit spells work for medic/engineer ? Would realy appreciate that.

#8 feychey

feychey
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Huh wasn't expecting this. The whole spellsurge thing is pretty weird, and I've been ok with it both ways of casting. If it helps smooth out other amps and abilities then I'm all for it.

As others have already started asking, will this mean that by pressing R, spellsurge will activate immediately (interrupting the current ability) or that it will be placed in a sort of 'queue' where it'll activate after your current ability is done casting?

#9 Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky
  • Members
  • LocationHoliday Inn Bar

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

This is great news!  

Thanks for that !

Any changes to flameburst so that we can cast it while casting like all the other on crit spells work for medic/engineer ? Would realy appreciate that.

and this...man that would be awesome! But I understand all this takes time and I am ok with that. Great job Carbine Team!

#10 Dante2387

Dante2387
  • Members
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Solid change, would of liked some adjustments to Flame Burst but can live with this. With that said allowing spell surge to be activated will only slight change the current end game SS rotation.

He never said they would be changed back to its previous state, just you can do it while casting now. We still don't know if it will break cast/channel spells... I for one hope not.

CRB_sengle on Carth stream just said the plan for it not to clip anymore, but can be activated midcast. That's what i want too, i hated clipping but it felt clunky at times.

#11 Catierina

Catierina
  • Members
  • LocationCuritiba, Brazil

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to the Void, Tranagram! Thanks for the updates (:

"The Cassian in black fled across the desert, and the Spellslinger followed."

- Catierina Alkaeva- Healslinger @Diplomacy - Entity -

#12 Spythe

Spythe
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Huh wasn't expecting this. The whole spellsurge thing is pretty weird, and I've been ok with it both ways of casting. If it helps smooth out other amps and abilities then I'm all for it.

As others have already started asking, will this mean that by pressing R, spellsurge will activate immediately (interrupting the current ability) or that it will be placed in a sort of 'queue' where it'll activate after your current ability is done casting?

That is exactly how it currently operates. Judging from the wording I think it means you can activate and deactivate it during channel and cast WITHOUT breaking channel or cast. Hopefully we get some clarification soon.

CRB_sengle on Carth stream just said the plan for it not to clip anymore, but can be activated midcast. That's what i want too, i hated clipping but it felt clunky at times.

Then that is perfect and exactly what I wanted since the pre release change. It is exactly how the class worked when I originally played a spellslinger but back then spell surge was a draining bar instead of a 1 ability per 25 spell power.

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#13 Destrin

Destrin
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

New guy eh?

Welcome!  I hope to hear about the Charged Shot and Assassinate buffs you guys have planned... lol

Destrin of Subterfuge, a Division of 2Arc Gaming

#14 Ifstar

Ifstar
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

so i can start a cast of quick draw, and during that one second cast i'll be able to toggle spell surge and it will be applied to the next cast of quick draw? 

my innate is going to be more fluid and smooth!? :D 

oh man.

#15 SamuelJackson

SamuelJackson
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I would also like to hear what your plans are for flame burst, as it is the only crit proc skill  not off the GCD. 

It should behave like warriors breaching strike.

Samuel Jackson of Warhound - www.twitch.tv/disnaga  - Healslinger Arena PvP

2200+ 2v2 - Season 1 Pre-Reset

1800+ 3v3 - Season 1 Pre-Reset

#16 Dante2387

Dante2387
  • Members
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Then that is perfect and exactly what I wanted since the pre release change. It is exactly how the class worked when I originally played a spellslinger but back then spell surge was a draining bar instead of a 1 ability per 25 spell power.

11:37 

Crb_sengle: basically, Spell surge should be able to be turned off and on without clipping spells as it should not stop the cast.
11:37 

Crb_sengle: Tranagram has been working hard to clean up all the spells to make this work really well.

this is the exact quote, and what i understood from it is that it won't clip but won't interrupt while still activating. ofc i may have understood it wrong but we'll see. Anything that makes it less clunky is welcome :P.

#17 Galactic007

Galactic007
  • Members
  • LocationPurgatory

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

thankyou for the spellsurge change.

#18 Havrish

Havrish
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Solid change, would of liked some adjustments to Flame Burst but can live with this. With that said allowing spell surge to be activated will only slight change the current end game SS rotation, now we won't need a buffer spell to activate spell surge.

Ah, I guess I assumed. Frankly, the way you are describing it sounds even better and will go a long way to smoothing out spellslinger gameplay.

#19 Tranagram

Tranagram
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

so i can start a cast of quick draw, and during that one second cast i'll be able to toggle spell surge and it will be applied to the next cast of quick draw? 

my innate is going to be more fluid and smooth!? :D 

oh man.

Precisely.

As for Flame Burst, we are currently experimenting with that, and will provide you with a more definitive update at a later point.

#20 Dante2387

Dante2387
  • Members
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Precisely.

As for Flame Burst, we are currently experimenting with that, and will provide you with a more definitive update at a later point.

Thank you, loving what am hearing!.