Warning to Settlers: SERIOUS Public Safety missions bug

Settler bug warning

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 CulannHS

CulannHS
  • Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

After having this happen to me in TWO zones so far, and having heard of numerous others succumbing to the same bug, and getting NO help from Carbine's "support" after submitting a ticket TWICE on it, I thought I'd post a bit of a "public safety" message to those who are Settlers.

There is a bug with the Public Safety missions where if you take the "WANTED" missions and complete them BEFORE the Public Safety missions come up in your Datachron, you will NOT get credit for the Public Safety missions no matter how many times you kill the mob.

This is a very specific bug, and easily to duplicate.  The best example is for Hagus the Collosus in Whitevale.  There, the "WANTED" mission shows up on the bounty board at Thermock Hold, your first quest hub upon entering the zone.  However, the Public Safety mission won't show up in your Datachron until you get to the Gas and Guzzle, which is further into the zone.  Upon receiving the Public Safety mission in your Datachron it will point you BACK to Thermock Hold to take it from the bounty board so that you can complete it.  Problem is, you more than likely already took it while in Thermock and finished it meaning you can no longer get the "WANTED" mission to satisfy the requirements for the Public Safety mission.

But it's not only that simple.  If you take the "WANTED" mission but do not kill the mob BEFORE you get the mission in your Datachron, it will not complete then either. 

The only way to avoid this bug is to take NO bounty board missions until you are assured you have a Public Safety mission for the corresponding mob on the bounty board first.  Meaning, you check your Public Safety missions to see which mobs you are supposed to kill FIRST, THEN take the corresponding mission from the bounty board next.

Failing to do this can result in you not being able to complete a zone and ergo, not being able to claim the Settler completion rewards for the zone at all. 

In my case, this happened to me for BOTH Celestion and Whitevale before I figured out precisely how the problem was occurring.

Additional note for the mods:  This doesn't need to be moved and hidden under the rug like so many other bug reports.  It needs to stay somewhere EVERYONE can see it so that the way to avoid experiencing this bug can be made clear.  In theory, hiding this would cause more people to suffer the same bug, and submit MOIRE tickets to Carbine thereby increasing the workload.

On a final note, it'd be really swell if customer support would actually credit my Warrior on my account for killing Drugaur the Rotted in Grimhold and Hagus the Collosus in Whitevale since I can no longer claim the completion rewards for either zone. 

#2 CulannHS

CulannHS
  • Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

Bumping for awareness' sake.  Be careful folks.

#3 MrMeatShield

MrMeatShield
  • Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

the exact same thing has happened to me in Algoroc with the WANTED mission, its the only settler thing in the entire faction now that i haven't done  and am unable to complete... has really annoyed me, i have written tickets on the subject and nothing

#4 goettel

goettel
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Try not to be a *cupcake* about it when you post, might help.

#5 HarryTasker

HarryTasker
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Saw this post, went into Algoroc, got the Public Safety to pop in my Settler log first, hit the bounty board for the quest, yet the Public Safety is still saying to talk to the Bounty Board. Bugged?

#6 CulannHS

CulannHS
  • Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Possibly....try dropping the bounty board quest and retaking it.  Did Big Graw tonight in Farside's Biodome 4, and after turning the bounty board quest in, I got credit for the Public Safety mission.  I made sure of course, that the Public Safety Mission was in the Datachron FIRST, before taking the bounty board mission.

#7 bribunn

bribunn
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Try not to be a *cupcake* about it when you post, might help.

Pot, meet kettle.

#8 MotherMayeye

MotherMayeye
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Yep, had this happen to me yesterday in Malgrave. Wish they'd fix it.

#9 hapagrrl

hapagrrl
  • Guests
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

This did not seem like a big deal at first but then I forgot you miss out on zone completion rewards.if this happens.:( Thank you for the warning, I wish I knew about this before I started my settler on Galeras 

#10 Lykaon

Lykaon
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

This happened to me in Whitevale. It really chaps my hide. Not only am I a completionist who feels like a complete failure for leaving the zone with that settler quest still in my log, but it also means I missed out on the zone completion reward which is generally a pretty decent reward. Whenever they fix this, the zone completion reward will mean nothing to me.

#11 CulannHS

CulannHS
  • Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Lykaon, that's really my issue with it as well.  The rewards are usually pretty decent, and right now, my Settler is almost 35.  The Celestion reward for completing the zone is worthless to me.  And given I have no control over Carbine's game glitching out, that's really a unfair situation.  My Warrior already left Whitevale, and is almost ready for Wilderrun, which means the Whitevale reward is going to end up the same way.  Again, seriously unfair.

Folks, I have a very small request to make.  Spread the word to every Settler you come across about this bug.  Tell EVERYONE.  When you see folks asking for more for the WANTED: missions, make sure to let them know (And the entire zone as a aside) what t he right way to do them so they get credit for their Settler Public Safety missions. 

Since Carbine is dragging ass on this and won't respond to tickets properly, let's try to avoid letting fellow Settlers get screwed on entire zones like some of us did.

#12 Windslasher

Windslasher
  • Guests
  • LocationAliso Viejo, CA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

We're addressing this ASAP. It is absolutely critical priority. I'll update you again once I determine when the fix can go live. Sorry for the inconvenience.

#13 Toeler

Toeler
  • Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Good old ignoring-beta-feedback-from-6-months-ago.

#14 KingPizza

KingPizza
  • Members
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

We're addressing this ASAP. It is absolutely critical priority. I'll update you again once I determine when the fix can go live. Sorry for the inconvenience.

First, I would like to point out that I'm not really one to complain, but this has been an issue since launch, perhaps even before then. I'm currently maintaining a bug list on these forums that states this exact problem, it's been up for about 2 weeks now, and not a single word of acknowledgment from Carbine, and now just today I'm hearing you're finally going to fix it? Oh, but not only that, it's "absolutely critical priority"?

My problem personally is in Auroria. I've had no issue completing every zone through Wilderrun (where I currently am story wise), but I'm stuck at 90% complete and 2 missions left to unlock. It's been like that since day 2 of head start. I confirmed that one of them is indeed a Public Safety Mission, killing Spira in Hycrest. I don't remember the other one, but it could have been one as well.

#15 Elefunt

Elefunt
  • Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ok Im sorry guys and I don't mean this to sound rude but that's probably how its going to come off. I personally do now view this as a major bug, You are talking about missing out on a zone reward from a settler path bag which normally get replaced in about 2 - 5 levels depending on when you receive and what quests you are doing.

I understand this may sound major to you but please understand they do have more pressing bugs that need more urgent attention, personally I have a bug that eats items out of my mailbox, so far I have lost over 5 plat worth of items, now I would view this as a little more important but that's probably because it is happening to me. They also have things like the massive lag spikes that every server has been getting, or the client memory leak and more.

Now I am not trying to say this bug should be forgotten about just saying in the beginning of a game bugs need to be prioritised which I imagine is what they are doing.

Thanks

#16 CulannHS

CulannHS
  • Members

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Ok Im sorry guys and I don't mean this to sound rude but that's probably how its going to come off. I personally do now view this as a major bug, You are talking about missing out on a zone reward from a settler path bag which normally get replaced in about 2 - 5 levels depending on when you receive and what quests you are doing.

I understand this may sound major to you but please understand they do have more pressing bugs that need more urgent attention, personally I have a bug that eats items out of my mailbox, so far I have lost over 5 plat worth of items, now I would view this as a little more important but that's probably because it is happening to me. They also have things like the massive lag spikes that every server has been getting, or the client memory leak and more.

Now I am not trying to say this bug should be forgotten about just saying in the beginning of a game bugs need to be prioritised which I imagine is what they are doing.

Thanks

You may not, but the Settlers do. 

Insofar as replacing...my Warrior who is my Settler is wearing level 22 pieces of gear, is level 37, and cannot find better from challenges, quest rewards, et al. to replace what she's wearing.  Additionally, some pieces become costume pieces so they hang around for much much longer.

With regards to bugs in general, there's a ton of 'em.  All over.  Triage for this sort of thing is necessary, I'll grant you that, but this bug affects EVERYONE who is a Settler, and who doesn't accidentally manage to do the WANTED: missions properly to sidestep the issue.  And I do mean "accidentally".  The issue is so easy to have happen to any Settler that it's nigh impossible to not have it happen in at least one zone.  The mailbox bug you are experiencing, is not something everyone is encountering.  I have never had anything, not one item, eaten by the mailbox, and I have a level 35 Spellslinger, and a 37 Warrior who actively and regularly use the CX  and AH.

The lag spikes and memory leak...I'm aware all games have a memory leak at release of some form, no doubts.  That's just the way these things go.  I personally have never experienced any trouble from the leaks, although I honestly couldn't tell you why.  Maybe it's my gaming rig?  Dunno really.  For the lag spikes, I admit I've never had any, although that may be because my 'Net connection is a fiberoptic 1 gigabit up / down connection.  Again, dunno really.

I understand where you're coming from, but the Settler path is a very popular path, and the bug in question is incredibly easy to get caught by, especially at Thermock Hold given how the bug works.  It's easy to fall victim to it, and it locks out a reward that for some, may be useful for more than just a few levels.  Overall, it's a net loss for the Settler.  And in thinking about it, is there a Settler reward for completing ALL of the zones?  Will have to check into this as I do not know off of the top of my head.

Windslasher:  Thank you for the update.  Many of us who submitted tickets regarding this feel a bit slighted by the customer service department, and a official acknowledgement from Carbine staff is a welcome sight in at least knowing something is on the table for resolution.

#17 Oldkrow

Oldkrow
  • Members

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'd like to know if the "fix" will actually complete the zones for those of us that have been caught by this bug (with everything completed), or if it will just start working properly for those that have not been to a given zone yet.  Fixing the problem seems like a very minor thing to do, but giving proper credit to the (i'm guessing) many thousands of players that got punked will likely be a major undertaking.  The rewards will mean nothing to most of us that have continued to level, but giving us proper completion would take some of the sting out of it.

#18 Euphoreah

Euphoreah
  • Members
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.  I've just started playing and rolled my first Engi/Settler, and this is pretty important.  You gem.

It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society - Jiddu Krishnamurti

#19 dahmerkitten

dahmerkitten
  • Members

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Still broke. Happened to me earlier in Whitevale. Really wish i seen this before i got there and it messed up. 

#20 Timiniel

Timiniel
  • Members

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

Thanks

You clearly do not speak for everyone. I suggest doing some research into completionist behaviour, it might enlighten you.

This bug is "not serious" and yet it single-handedle made me GIVE UP ON PLAYING MY MAIN CHAR. How is THAT for "not a major bug"?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Settler, bug, warning