Continue, the bot wars do.

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Gaffer

CRB_Gaffer
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Quick update on the current state of the late-June botwar:

Some concrete info:  We've banned/suspended about 7300 accounts in the last 3 days or so between various detection methods and player reports.  Obviously 7300 is a tiny fraction of the overall player base, but it's a noticeable chunk of the current bots.

Our strong goal is to get botters/RMTers knocked out of the game entirely.  The fight goes on, as alluded to in my first post on the subject 12 days ago here:  https://forums.wilds...k-bans-round-1/ .

The main upcoming fix for us is going to be reporting tools integrated with our back end processes letting you easily submit reports and our CS teams to easily field them.  Those should be coming online next week if they make it through the QA process - this basically mirrors what we were able to do for zone spam (which got cut down efficiently based on a similar system).  A few addon developers have worked on the ease-of-reporting part of this in the interim (thanks guys, it's appreciated).

We've also further tuned our automated bot detection processes; we've been careful to catch as few innocents in the web as possible.  We can't go into a ton of details (don't want to give the botters hints on avoiding detection) but you've probably seen some improvements in botters getting knocked out of the game.  It's also not perfect yet, but we've made some good strides.

Many (between 50%-70%, not all data is in yet) of those 7K+ accounts are compromised - regular players who have (usually) re-used account names and passwords from other stuff on the internet (games, email, etc.) and thus are vulnerable to hacking.  PLEASE do use 2-factor authentication if possible.

This implies that as we ban these accounts, they rapidly go into the CS queues for us to put back into the hands of the original owners.  We've been prioritizing these, but it does mean delays in other queues as we work through it.  We've made some tool improvements on the dev side for CS to help out, as well as helping out with a variety of other teams in various ways (from answering tickets to prioritizing automated fixes for things like the riding skill reimbursements).  It's a whole team effort to get things wrangled.

Also this implies that as we ban/suspend accounts, the farmers compromise new accounts to keep the bot army flowing.  Please protect your account - if not with 2FA then with a unique account and password combo (keylogging does occur though; we don't have confirmed reports of it now but it will happen at some point if not already).

On the CS fronts, we've freed up some CS to folks patrol to get reports from folks in zone chat in real time as well - if you see one online, please do feed them names for banning action.

We're attacking this with a full-spectrum approach as a placeholder until we get to the better tools that should help in the short-medium term.  We acknowledge it sucks when you see obvious cheaters, and we're working to eliminate it.  Hopefully you've noticed a difference already, but regardless we'll keep updating as we move forward as well.

Thanks guys -

-jg

Edited by CRB_Gaffer, 01 July 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#2 Rabid Mango

Rabid Mango
  • Guests
  • LocationStage 7

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Great news.  Keep up the good work.

<Bad Enough Dudes>

#3 Arkyron

Arkyron
  • Members
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Excellent to hear! I'm sure that we'll continue to see progress! I've noticed a very visible drop in the chunk of teleporting bots over the last few days on Pago, so your efforts are definitely paying off. =)

Arkyron - Aurin/Stalker

Pago

Team Legacy

#4 CRB_Gaffer

CRB_Gaffer
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Great news.  Keep up the good work.

Will do.  In many ways this is the price of being the new popular game on the block :/  That doesn't make it less of a pain in the butt for users though.

Edited by CRB_Gaffer, 01 July 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#5 Remorseful

Remorseful
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Looking forward to the improved report functions.

I have about 10 /tickets on teleport bots, and because the support queues are obviously being hammered, I get about 10 replies a couple of times per day telling me they are trying to get to my request.

I dont particularly care for a reply, just want you to get the report and ban them :)

I still dont understand why everyone doesnt just use 2form auth :(

#6 Dopamean

Dopamean
  • Guests
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Is using the bot detection addons that people write helpful? Really hard to catch teleport botter names on my own.

WildStar <Nation> Guild & Podcast

W I L D S T A R N A T I O N G U I L D . C O M

Host of Run Back Raiding WoW Podcast | @DopaStatic (Twitter/Twitch/YouTube)

#7 Hiebz0r

Hiebz0r
  • Members
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Really good to hear, keep up the good work, Carbine. ^_^

#8 flaminghomer

flaminghomer
  • Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Please make 2-factor authentication  mandatory. For those few without a smartphone there are options like https://winauth.com/.

Besides that I haven't seen a single bot last evening during my three hours of playtime! So whatever you did, it at least improved the situation temporarily!

#9 DoctorVanGogh

DoctorVanGogh
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Just wanted to say that yesterday was a noticeable improvement in the farming bot situation. Where usually only about 15% of all resource nodes would be up since legions of bots were teleporting around gathering them, yesterday they all were there, and I did not see one single bot during my ~60 minute gathering round.

I don't know if it was the recent ban wave(s), the change to plant hitpoints (boy are those some tough plants now :D), the simple need for even the botters to patch or simply caution of many bot users after a massive patch and it's possibly security changes - might have been a combination of all of the above, but I have to say:

Well done - keep it up, more of this please!

#10 Bhawk1990

Bhawk1990
  • Members
  • LocationHungary

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

These are great news, keep up the great work guys!

Mandel, Level 50 Warrior @ Ascendancy

#11 Renko BeerGuzzler

Renko BeerGuzzler
  • Members
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne, UK

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Great news. As an honest player I was getting despondent - even at this early stages.

Last night was a welcome relief, didn't see one botter in the zones I was in - keep up the good work....

Also, as someone posted above, you're doing a great job in replying to our reports, which is obviously more work for you guys.....Maybe for the future on the reporting function, stick a tick box to ask if we want to be updated, or if we're just happy to report - we (well, I certainly), trust you will get around to the end result, and don't need to take up anymore of your time replying back to me (us) etc.....

May I ask a question, were a majority of these accounts logging in from certain geographical areas of the world *cough*sweatshop*cough* perchance?

Regards,

#12 Cruds

Cruds
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

Finnaly! 

#13 General_1983

General_1983
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

Good work.

I sincerely hope that one cannot say: "My account was hacked" when the bot programmed was used from the same IP adress or the same area for that matter. If an account has been used to bot for days it's quite suspscious that the owner has not reborted it hacked, but only reports if after a ban occurs. As I see it, players willing to cheat is a big threat to the game, as the consequenses for getting caught are too low. 

As a comparison, there was ALOT of players who used the bank error/cheat in ESO, where they duplicated items. Many didn't give a f. as they were at the worst getting banned for a week. The damage was already done then, as people had wealth beyond what others could create in years.

#14 Vicwolf

Vicwolf
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

First page?

Hi Carbine,

Great job so far in striking down the bot meance. The plant health change is probably the best thing so far and whatever avenue you're using for auto-detection seems to have smacked them HARD at the core hackerbase.

Looking forward to the new report function, keep up the good work.

#15 Withers

Withers
  • Members
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

Awesome job so far. I've already seen a big drop in the number of teleporters around.

#16 Rawrnsuch

Rawrnsuch
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Yes, it sucks when you see obvious cheaters, I agree...

Currently my character is running around "cheating" in Southern Grimvault.

Let me give some background:

I formated my computer and made a fresh install once Wildstar prelaunch started.

Windows 8.1: Windows Defender, Windows security on High as well as Firewall with a load of restrictions.

Additionally: Malwarebytes Pro and Avast Antivirus Pro is running.

Password: The one chosen is unique for this game.

I have scanned and rescanned and there has been no trojans, malware, virus or anything of that sort.

Yet, for some reason, my character is currently teleporting around in Southern Grimvault at this very moment without my controll and when I try to log in I just get booted off again.

Geting on my account doesn't seem to work at this point either because it's under maintenance.

Maybe it's not the users but your own account server that has been hacked and that's how they are geting our account info and then you keep us in the dark and blame the users?

So say the least, I am pretty furious right now.

Edit: Account servers are finaly up again. Loged in and changed password to an even longer password. Will await customer support to my email to actions that will be taken.

#17 Grimjaeger

Grimjaeger
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Sounds great Carbine. Doing a timely job on the Bot War. I and other hopefully will keep encouraging other non-forum goers to heavily report Botters. Especially in BG's. Having a botter all night long in your BG's when getting back from work, and losing every game because of it, is not fun. 

#18 Sassaroth

Sassaroth
  • Members
  • LocationLogan Utah

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

You've earned.......

A tip of the hat.

*tipped*

The lazy birds always cry it’s too hard to fly, wanting the winds to carry it. The practiced birds give it a try, and lift to the sky, and covers the lazy bird in.... adornment.

#19 ladydias

ladydias
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

So glad you guys have given us the ability to use authenticators and that you are getting the bots hanled in good order.  I just have two requests.

1)  Please include a link for the official Microsoft Authenticator app for Windows Phone on the security page next to the other two operating systems.  It sits solidly in the number three spot for smartphone ecosystems and is steady growing at a nice clip.  Here's a link to the app and it works like a regular Google Authenticator:  http://www.windowsph...ba-ca22d653759b

2)  Please make it as clear as possible that we should save/screenshot the QR code when adding Wildstar to the authenticator, otherwise we have to go through support to remove or re-add it and you guys are swamped as it is.

I think you are doing a wonderful job and look forward to seeing how you continue to support this fine game.

Yup, I'm an Exile Esper Scientist

Current Game Goal:  Breed the perfect cofagrigus ^_^

#20 WoomenPower

WoomenPower
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

b5cbeaed70ef.jpg

Ok, lets check your words. Right now we have a quantity lots. After two days the quantity has to be less. Around 20% less. 

Dominate like your mom