Photo

Account Compromise and Re-securing your account!

security account compromise hacked

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Telliks

Telliks

Player Relations Lead

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

If you believe your account maybe compromised, below are a few steps you can take to re-secure your account.

• Scan your computer for malicious programs
    Use the virus scanner of your choice (McAfee, Nortons, AVG, etc…) and run a full virus scan and repair. (Some free Virus scanning software exist out there including Microsoft Security Essentials) We recommend that you run regular scans to ensure that your computer is secure and virus/keylogger free.

• Secure your email!
    Login to your email associated with your WildStar account and change your password.

• Change your password immediately!
    Login to your account on www.wildstar-online.com and access your account management page to change and update your associated password.
    If your password has been changed, please use the “Forgot Password” section of our website to have a temporary password mailed to you.
    If you are unable to access the email associated with your account, contact support immediately.

• Add Two-Step Verification (RECOMMENDED):
    Two-Step Verification is a system that requires you to prove your identity when logging into the game, in addition to inputting your normal account name and password. This is done using an app that you install on a mobile device. Whether you’re playing at home or from a public location, this extra layer of security will help keep your account safe by requiring mobile verification in addition to your regular log-in credentials.
    To apply the Authenticator to your account follow the steps outlined here.

• Contact Support and Report Losses:
    You can contact the support team via the support section of the WildStar website and submit a ticket. Make sure to include the Realm and name of character you believe has been compromised.

Did you know? A large portion of Real Money Trading (Gold Selling) & Botting in-game is performed on hacked and compromised accounts.

#2 kharnuk

kharnuk
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

I've contacted customer support they are veryyyyyyyy slowwwwwww

#3 kharnuk

kharnuk
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

So don't expect to get your account back the sane day :(

#4 Hardcoreflametroll

Hardcoreflametroll
  • Guests
  • Location@home (sometimes)

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

• Contact Support and Report Losses:
    You can contact the support team via the support section of the WildStar website and submit a ticket. Make sure to include the Realm and name of character you believe has been compromised.

Did you ever tried to contact the german Support?  Thats not a Support,thats a gang of grannies with too much valium in her venes!

#5 Raged

Raged
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

I wonder... Why the game does not ask me for authorization code if my IP address has changed (like in SWTOR for example)? Only web-site is always in alarmed state.

Where is the logic?

Without Two-Step Verification of course.

#6 Shenjiro

Shenjiro
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

We need other way to do the 2 step verification, I have an old mobile phone and I can't do that, but I wan't some kind of secure method like that.

#7 jamtrax

jamtrax
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

We need other way to do the 2 step verification, I have an old mobile phone and I can't do that, but I wan't some kind of secure method like that.

You could try find a good Android PC Emulator. No idea what's good these days though.

#8 Kane Hart

Kane Hart
  • Guests
  • LocationBarrie, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Did you know a large portion of hacked accounts were not hacked. Did you know a lot them paid for power leveling and during the power leveling they abuse the accounts... Don't be fooled by these idiots. If they bot or get someone to bot for them for money then make them buy another account or at least nuke their character data... I don't want this to turn out to be WoW... Well I got to level 87 with just 1 warning....

#9 Biytor

Biytor
  • Members

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

How about you allow us to rename our account something other then our email address. That would be a giant leap forward.

#10 Oomist

Oomist
  • Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Check https://winauth.com/

You could try find a good Android PC Emulator. No idea what's good these days though.

Don't bother, check the above link. It's native windows application.

#11 BuckLuny

BuckLuny
  • Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

I like that there is a 2 step verification, it's nice. But can we please enable keyboard support? I'm so used to typing my key on my num-pad. And I know it's for security reason but I dont like klicking this much.

#12 Sombritas

Sombritas
  • Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

I've sent a ticket regarding this issue 8 days ago, no response yet. Really very very very dissapointed, not renewing until things change.

Edit: ticket number #333612

#13 ScrapyardBob

ScrapyardBob
  • Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

One thing not mentioned in the original post is don't reuse passwords across multiple sites.

Your bank password -- should be different then any other password.  The same thing goes for any website / service which involves financial transactions (such as the big online retailers).

For less important sites like online community-run forums, which have no financial implications, just generate a complete gibberish password of random numbers / letters and have the web browser remember it.

Minimum password length these days, unless you go with completely random text, should be 12+ characters.

#14 BssMonster888

BssMonster888
  • Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

• Add Two-Step Verification (RECOMMENDED):
  • Two-Step Verification is a system that requires you to prove your identity when logging into the game, in addition to inputting your normal account name and password. This is done using an app that you install on a mobile device. Whether you’re playing at home or from a public location, this extra layer of security will help keep your account safe by requiring mobile verification in addition to your regular log-in credentials.
    To apply the Authenticator to your account follow the steps outlined here.

And for those of us that do not have smartphones???

#15 DreamPuppet

DreamPuppet
  • Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

And for those of us that do not have smartphones???

I concur, why aren't there physical authenticators available like with that other company known for it's MMO?  I'd pay $5 for one like i did for theirs. I don't like smartphones, they're too smart for my own good and i don't like people being able to contact me 24/7, especially my employer (when it's my day off, it's my day off)

#16 Shadowarriorx

Shadowarriorx
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

I concur, why aren't there physical authenticators available like with that other company known for it's MMO?  I'd pay $5 for one like i did for theirs. I don't like smartphones, they're too smart for my own good and i don't like people being able to contact me 24/7, especially my employer (when it's my day off, it's my day off)

Check and read the above posts.  There is a windows authentication that works as a desktop application.  You don't need a smart phone, just an internet connection, which if you are playing an MMO, you should have.

#17 CrusaderXX

CrusaderXX
  • Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

I've been locked out of my account for going on 6 days now. This is becoming unacceptable. I understand that you guys have alot on your plate due to just launching the game, but this is getting rediculous. My request number is #434679. I have followed all the steps I was given have not had an response in 4 days now.

#18 Jakena

Jakena
  • Members
  • LocationEngland, East Midlands

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I've just posted a ticket, as I've not been on my account since Friday, and someone on my guild logged on, knowing I was at work, knew I shouldn't be on to find all my skills have changed, my bags all deleted, and going from having only about 10 gold, to 1 platinum and loads of iron ore in my bag.

I really hope they answer within the 24 hours they say they will. As changing my password, I kicked off whoever was using my account. However I never received an e-mail you normally get when someone tried to log on from a different address, which is worrying as I get this from my own pc, when my ip address has changed!

Is there not a customer services support number you can call to sort this out before my account gets banned through no fault of my own?

#19 Raged

Raged
  • Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

I still wonder about that

I wonder... Why the game does not ask me for authorization code if my IP address has changed (like in SWTOR for example)? Only web-site is always in alarmed state.

Where is the logic?

Without Two-Step Verification of course.

#20 Galifrey

Galifrey
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

It would appear that post hack, your response is:

• Anyone that is getting this communication is receiving a set of gear that we’ve put together for your class and level. This allows us to get you back into the game and playing without waiting days.
• We will not be able to offer you additional restorations once this is completed. We do not like to do this. For more on why, please read below to better understand the 2 stages of an account compromise restoration.
• We will keep your ticket On-Hold so that you can tell when your ticket is being worked on and the set of gear has been granted.
• If you have not added 2 Step Verification, and we provide you with a restoration, we may not be able to offer you additional restorations if your account were to become compromised again. Here is a link for 2 Step Verification

At the moment we have account compromise tickets that are over 7 days old, and are still waiting for restorations. Some players have gear and are missing only money, where others have no gear and no money. Our team has been working hard to recover all players’ accounts to help get you back in the game and able to play in every case. Others have already received an initial restoration and are now asking for additional materials.

Given the daily volume of new account comprises tickets is rising, we have had to adjust our views on how we approach these tickets. The alternative would be a wait time that may go over 7 days before you can get your first restoration. We do not want this, nor do we expect that you want to wait this long.

We have worked closely with our developers to create a set of gear that all characters level 10 or higher will be given. These sets of gear take into consideration your class and that you need help getting back into the game and playing. Unfortunately because of the continued incoming volume and the amount of accounts that remain unsecured, this is the only restorations we will be able to offer you. We will start sending out these gear packages later today to each of your characters that are over level 10. If you do not already have 2 Step Verification on your account, I highly recommend you add it between now and when we begin to offer you the set of items for your characters. As we may not offer this again if your account becomes compromised again - https://support.wild...-Up-and-Rewards

This is not the solution that we want to take (we want everyone to be back to where they were before being accessed), but this is the solution that allows us to take the second step in an account compromise investigation. Hunting down and catching the people that did this to your account. Players do not often think about the amount of time needed to track down the people that accessed and stole your items and gold and deal sift justice.

Something that is also not commonly known, all of those gold sellers, boters and teleport hackers are most likely because of an account that was compromised. The Real Money Traders do not care about these accounts, they only care about having gold in their coffers so they can sell to players in game that support this trade. They benefit from players that do not have 2 Step Verification, so please also encourage your guild mates, friends and family to add 2 Step Verification to their accounts as well.

We hope that you understand that this step is not the solution that anyone on our team wants to take. This is the step we are taking to prevent you from having to wait for days. And the benefit allows us to track down and act with justice against those accounts that benefited from your situation.

So all the tradeskill mats and gold is gone then?

For someone who was unable to add 2 step authentication due to it failing every time, that is pretty poor. Security is worse than useless if it doesn't work, thankfully I found out that winauth works and Carbine should have let us know this for people without smartphones. Relying on people having smartphones for security is anything but smart really.

Anyway, I bought my own gear and carried on so it would seem none of my issues will be resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, account compromise, hacked