Guide to the Esper "Melee Mage" PVP Build

Esper PVP Guide Melee MDPS Build Spec Video

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#201 Selgan

Selgan
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

True, since more hits = more chances to proc whatever AMPs and item Specials.

It wasn't, and that is a clever find.

I doubt it's intended behavior though.

How do you think the new changes to our mobility will effect our chances in arena?

Do you think we will be viable as DPS? or will we be reduced to a very niche team setup?

Specifically asking in 2s primarily and 3s secondary.

#202 Ayestes

Ayestes
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

You could always sprint-jump-psyfrenzy anyway.  I don't have the hand agility to click sprint, forward, and psyfrenzy anyway so it's what I've always done.  

Exile - Pago (PvP) - Fail Gaming | Ayestem - PvP DPS Melee Mage Esper

Ayestes - Spellslinger | Ayestet - Medic  |  Ayestee -  Engineer

#203 Sabbathius

Sabbathius
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

A DPS esper is literally a waste of a slot in any RBG at least a DPS stalker (in RBG's) can blow up squishies with on demand burst. A dps esper in arena falls even lower, you can fight against the machine in this one, so just give into its power.

I don't know that I agree with the view being so bleak.

An Esper can do some magical things in BGs with CC alone. Knockback in Bloodsworn, when done right (on platforms and points) is absolute gold. Disarm, when you nail it across all 5 people on point, is a pretty big deal. It'll be an even bigger deal next patch, when CC Resilience I-III AMPs get reduced from 10% per point down to 5% per point. CC Resilience in full will go from 30% to 15%, and I'm not so sure many people will take it, since 15% off of 4-5 second CC isn't enough to warrant wasting 3 AMP points. Soooo, if you chain your CCs, it'll be quite nice. Even if they have full CC Resilience, it'll still be nicer next patch. And chaining a knockdown and root together really messes up melee classes.

So, in terms of pure DPS, I agree. But once you factor in the CCs and such, especially if you go with a heavy CC-resetting build (Rapid Response AMP + Fixation), it can get nasty if you cleave your CCs though half of the enemy team and chain them. Stalker may drop one guy, especially if he's wounded. An Esper can kick up to 5 people off the bridge in Walatiki, or platform in Bloodsworn, which does WAY more for the team's chances of taking the mask/point than anything any Stalker can do ever.

Arena? Yeah, you probably have a point. BGs? I'd have to go with Esper on that one.

#204 Ayestes

Ayestes
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Esper CC can influence Battlegrounds probably about as much as Warrior and Spellslinger DPS.   It sometimes takes coordination to fully utilize tough.   

#205 Cirayne

Cirayne
  • Guests
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

So I know absolutly nothing about Espers.. but how are the July updates for the class?  I've always been interested in playing it and would like something to do if I need a break from the Stalker :D

-- I'm the biggest beast on the streets since Snuffleupagus --

#206 Ayestes

Ayestes
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

The July updates are excellent.  At least in my opinion. 

#207 Zyoxo

Zyoxo
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

So I know absolutly nothing about Espers.. but how are the July updates for the class?  I've always been interested in playing it and would like something to do if I need a break from the Stalker :D

A decent start, but we're still going to be entirely devoid of any kind of kiting ability.  That's more of a problem with warriors though.

At least we won't be entirely ignorable anymore since we'll actually do decent damage outside of finishers

factionz-pergo

YouTube - Top level esper arena videos

#208 Cirayne

Cirayne
  • Guests
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

A decent start, but we're still going to be entirely devoid of any kind of kiting ability.  That's more of a problem with warriors though.

At least we won't be entirely ignorable anymore since we'll actually do decent damage outside of finishers

Interesting... I have a friend who decided to get the game, so I figured it'd be a good excuse to roll an Esper.

-- I'm the biggest beast on the streets since Snuffleupagus --

#209 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I don't know that I agree with the view being so bleak.

An Esper can do some magical things in BGs with CC alone. Knockback in Bloodsworn, when done right (on platforms and points) is absolute gold. Disarm, when you nail it across all 5 people on point, is a pretty big deal. It'll be an even bigger deal next patch, when CC Resilience I-III AMPs get reduced from 10% per point down to 5% per point. CC Resilience in full will go from 30% to 15%, and I'm not so sure many people will take it, since 15% off of 4-5 second CC isn't enough to warrant wasting 3 AMP points. Soooo, if you chain your CCs, it'll be quite nice. Even if they have full CC Resilience, it'll still be nicer next patch. And chaining a knockdown and root together really messes up melee classes.

So, in terms of pure DPS, I agree. But once you factor in the CCs and such

Arena? Yeah, you probably have a point. BGs? I'd have to go with Esper on that one.

Agreed for RBGs - I run 4 CCs plus snare procs and it provides high utility value for managing situations.

I'll be posting a video overnight of my recently-dinged 1500 Esper cranking out 2.1MM damage (2nd in damage overall), 17-4 KDR (2nd overall), 785k healing, and using CCs to dictate outcomes in an RBG that I queued solo.

Based on my very limited (1 night) of Arena 2v2 experience, Arena is horribly imbalanced, too gear dependent, and rife with people exploiting to win. DPS Esper has a tough road getting to 1800 in 2v2 in the current environment without an 1800 SS or Warrior carry.

Taugrim: 50 Esper | Pergo (US PVP) | Dominion | <Pharos> | 1800+ 2v2, 1791 solo RBG

WildStar Guides: Keybinding/Melee Strafing | Esper "Melee Mage" PVP | YouTube Videos

#210 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

Posted my first level 50 video :)

Narrated Videos

The following video @ 50 showcases gameplay with 1500 gear in a Rated Battleground, where I queued solo, dealt 2.1MM damage, healed for 785k, and went 17-4 for kills-to-deaths. We lost 5-4, but it was a great match:

https://www.youtube....h?v=a-YbtxJYGXE

Here's the description of the video from YouTube:

My level 50 "Melee Mage" DPS Esper in a Walatiki Rated Battleground (RBG), queued solo:
• 2.1MM damage
• 17-4 kill-to-death ratio
• 785K healing

The "Melee Mage" build provides high utility in battlegrounds due to the 4 CC abilities and chain snare capability.

In the video I used 5 pieces of 1500 PVP gear, as PVP stats were still subject to significant diminishing returns (DR), and the rest of my gear consisted of 50 PVE blues. The 1500 gear, especially the weapon, is a huge upgrade from 50 blue gear.

Taugrim: 50 Esper | Pergo (US PVP) | Dominion | <Pharos> | 1800+ 2v2, 1791 solo RBG

WildStar Guides: Keybinding/Melee Strafing | Esper "Melee Mage" PVP | YouTube Videos

#211 vanisha

vanisha
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

You keep me entertained until the ptr changes kick in.

Thanks for that Taugrim :)

Vanou Nounounounou

2.2k+ healing/dps Esper

#212 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Every class has trouble sustaining a gap against Warriors.

That said, we are not "devoid of any kind of kiting ability" - we can root targets, knock them back, knock them down, chain-snare them, and charge away.

#213 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Figured we should talk about the impact of the proposed Esper changes to the "Melee Mage" build.

·         Spectral Form

o   This will become castable while moving

Obviously our Innate SF being castable while moving is a big quality of life improvement for a melee class.

Right now we have to use Dash, Projected Spirit, or move at the measley 15% afforded by our PVP boots if we want to move while self-rooted.

On the PTR, the buff to the Innate is being balanced by reducing the bubble from 300% to 250%. I'll gladly take that tradeoff. The bubble from our Innate today is good, but our mobility is constrained, which means we eat attacks we might have been able to avoid completely.

Being mobile will allow us to avoid damage, and have the bubble absorb what it really needs to absorb.

·         Psychic Frenzy

o   The initial cast GCD will be reduced to .75s, down from 1.25s

o   The Tier 8 bonus will only requires 3 Psi Charge stacks, down from 6

I'm actually just as excited about the PF changes than the Innate change for the "Melee Mage" Esper.

PF on live is 2.25s to fire all 3 blades for a single cast. By reducing the initial cast by half a second, firing all 3 blades will take 1.75s. Obviously, a shorter overall cast time means higher throughput, and that means higher sustained DPS, which means higher sustain from the lifesteal, and we build PPs faster.

I've never complained publicly about PF, but my thought was that for a melee class - with light armor no less - this seemed like a slow spammable in terms of cast time and mediocre DPS, in this game and compared to other games. Usually melee attacks have the higher DPS, because meleeing requires staying in close range, which tends to entail more risk, and melees generally have lower uptime on their attacks as they run in and out of range. I think the shortened cast time is a step in the right direction. A huge step.

I'm also glad to see that the T8 bonus will be meaningful. Today, I always take T8 for PF, because the damage difference between T4 and T8 is significant, and more damage also means more sustain, but the T8 bonus is underwhelming. With the change to make a PP build every 3 full casts, we'll get a nice bump to our finisher throughput. Like I said, if you aren't already investing T8 in PF, you're doing it wrong. But the change will provide better ROI.

Will PF become as viable as TKStrike for sustained DPS? Probably not, especially if there are AMPs that reward stationary play, as that synergizes well with a ranged build but not so much for a melee one.

·         While we are moving away from forcing Espers to be immobile casters, we do not want to completely kill the playstyle for players that enjoy the concept. In the future you can expect to see some AMPs and Ability tiers that will reward players based on the amount of time they spend stationary. 

I can already anticipate that some Espers are going to theorycraft that stationary AMPs might provide meaningful value to Melee Mage Espers.

While there are times when our targets don't move - either the target is stupid, or they're CC'd - movement is critical for good MDPS gameplay, and there would be an opportunity cost to taking stationary AMPs over other ones that synergize better with a melee build.

Stationary AMPs will be incredibly relevant for PVE RDPS, but not for PVP MDPS.

----------------------------------

Lastly, it looks like the CC Resilience AMPs are getting reduced from 30% to 15% across the board, so I will likely use those points plus one from the Dash AMPs to take No Pain No AMP to further boost PP generation.

Overall, I'm excited about the changes. I don't think on paper they will make "Melee Mage" Esper too strong, but they will help to address the DPS gap we see right now between our class and Warrior / Stalker.

#214 Zyoxo

Zyoxo
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Every class has trouble sustaining a gap against Warriors.

That said, we are not "devoid of any kind of kiting ability" - we can root targets, knock them back, knock them down, chain-snare them, and charge away.

Totally are, though.  Stalkers & warriors can both mirror any of our cc or mobility with something that will get them back on to us almost immediately.  It's not "kiting" when someone is off you for 1.5 seconds at a time, at most.   Related to this is the way we hurt for LAS slots and ability points, which is only going to be worse with the massive buff to conc blade T4 - so we can't even use all of our kiting tools.

And due to the way TK strike works, it's likely that we won't be able to sprint kite with it.  Nothings going to improve on that front.  SS get 2 absolutely massive defensive cooldowns that completely negate burst which allows them to actually compete with the unpeelable melee in this game, while we sit there and eat it.

These changes are just lazy band aid fixes aimed primarily at PVE that do little to address some of espers biggest issues in pvp.

Also the PF change isn't a change to the initial cast (which is already 0.75 seconds,) but a change to the gcd generated by the initial cast. So you can use on gcd abilities faster, but it doesn't actually change the ability itself, which fires off during its own gcd already.

factionz-pergo

YouTube - Top level esper arena videos

#215 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Also the PF change isn't a change to the initial cast (which is already 0.75 seconds,) but a change to the gcd generated by the initial cast. So you can use on gcd abilities faster, but it doesn't actually change the ability itself, which fires off during its own gcd already.

Just tested on live, but not on PTR.

Here is the current behavior on live:

- 1st cast takes 0.75s, at the end of which you get the 1st blade swing

- as soon as you start casting, the PF ability icon shows a GCD for the ability of 1.25s

- so you can't swing the 2nd blade until 1.25s, or 0.5 sec after the 1st blade has swung

So current behavior:

0.75 1st blade fires

0.75 - 1.25 GCD for 1st blade

1.25 2nd blade fires

1.25 - 1.75 GCD for 2nd blade

1.75 3rd blade fires

1.75 - 2.25 GCD for 3rd blade

So it depends how the first time slot (0.00 - 0.75) is implemented. Does the 1st blade fire in there, so we can fire the 2nd blade at 0.75, thereby making everything finish by 1.75s?

Can someone on the PTR test?

#216 Ayestes

Ayestes
  • Members

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

0.75 first blade fires

0.75 second blade fires

1.25 third blade fires

1.75 gcd ends

which is pretty much exactly what the notes said, it got rid of the first one's gcd

#217 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

0.75 first blade fires

0.75 second blade fires

1.25 third blade fires

1.75 gcd ends

which is pretty much exactly what the notes said, it got rid of the first one's gcd

Sweet, so we are getting a meaningful improvement to PF :)

#218 kythor

kythor
  • Members

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

He Taugrim just a question about gear. Should I get the pvp Support, Weapon Attachment and Implant? Or I'm better off getting PvE ones?

Thanks!

#219 Taugrim

Taugrim
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

He Taugrim just a question about gear. Should I get the pvp Support, Weapon Attachment and Implant? Or I'm better off getting PvE ones?

Thanks!

If you are a fresh 50, here's what I recommend:

- Epochos Assault Power weapon, with snare Special "Stay or Go"

- Epochos Weapon Attachment, with snare Special "Slow It Down"

Those synergize nicely with No Remorse AMP.

Do not ever use Support gear in this build. We get sustain from damage, which comes primarily from Assault Power.

You want to use ~4 pieces of PVP gear that has good Moxie stats on it, and the boots should be one of those pieces because it has a passive movement speed buff.

#220 Vankey

Vankey
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

If you are a fresh 50, here's what I recommend:

- Epochos Assault Power weapon, with snare Special "Stay or Go"

- Epochos Weapon Attachment, with snare Special "Slow It Down"

Those synergize nicely with No Remorse AMP.

Do not ever use Support gear in this build. We get sustain from damage, which comes primarily from Assault Power.

You want to use ~4 pieces of PVP gear that has good Moxie stats on it, and the boots should be one of those pieces because it has a passive movement speed buff.

I think he meant Support System though. The item you put in the Supper System Slot. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Esper, PVP, Guide, Melee, MDPS, Build, Spec, Video