Photo

[Question / Addon] Any interest in a modern minimal UI?

interface design

• Please log in to reply
728 replies to this topic

#1 vikinghug

vikinghug
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

POPULAR

Project Update
Alright, so... you guys have clearly spoken! it's going to happen! SHAPOW! I'll need your help! 

Communication:
We're going to be using IRC as or main point of "instant" communication. As far as the addons themselves, github will serve as the bridge of communication for bugs, issues and etc...

Join us on IRC:
  • server: irc.freenode.net
  • channel: #vikinghug
See what we're working on: vikinghug.com

The Plan:
Based on everyone's feedback, I'd love to be able to touch every component that is "skinnable" and make it completely modular. This way you can pick and choose your components, without being forced into a full UI that doesn't fit your needs.

I'll be posting concepts and screenshots here, so you'll probably want to check back often, if you're interested. I'd LOVE to hear your feedback as I submit things. This UI really should be a creation for the community, not just for me. You guys ROCK! 

How can you help?
Join us on irc if you can help with one of the following:

Available Positions:
  • Asset Artist: There will be a ton of assets to get out of photoshop and into houston, simply as sprites
  • Technical Artist: Replacing the existing sprites with the new sprites
  • Developer: There will likely need to be a fair amount of work within the LUA that manages sprites / positions etc...
  • Tester: Does this really need a description?
Current Mockups:

nd5R9cK.png

Addon Downloader:

You can now download the full set (or individual addons) without having to use github. Whenever you see that we make a change to a repo, you can use this tool to download the files from any branch you choose.

If you find a bug with the addon downloader, please submit an issue here: AddonDownloader Issues

Download Link

Edited by vikinghug, 22 June 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Check out these sweet tools and Addons!Come say hi: Vikinghug on Bloodsworn (Dominion)

#2 CrashCat

CrashCat
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

That's a pretty mockup!  Though with my crappy old monitor I'd have to scale that up to read any of it.  I would also be totally lost if that's all that was on screen, but someone with a better memory might do alright.   :D

#3 Trobing

Trobing
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

OMG, 100% Yes! If you could apply the theme to the entire UI + nameplates, with some customization, it'd be perfect!

Pago (PvP)

Trobing - Medic

#4 vikinghug

vikinghug
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

That's a pretty mockup!  Though with my crappy old monitor I'd have to scale that up to read any of it.  I would also be totally lost if that's all that was on screen, but someone with a better memory might do alright.   :D

Haha, this isn't all that would be on screen, I wanted to give a "look and feel" preview before I did a complete mockup.

Check out these sweet tools and Addons!Come say hi: Vikinghug on Bloodsworn (Dominion)

#5 Sinnermighty

Sinnermighty
  • Guests
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

I would absolutely love using bits and pieces of this, if it wasn't packaged as a single add-on.

Sinnermighty | Stalker | DPS & OffTank

Blood Legion | Avatus | Dominion

#6 jeas

jeas
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

I can't stress enough how interested in this I would be. 

I'm an addon developer also; I'd be interested to collaborate. PM me if you're interested.

#7 Notz

Notz
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'll download a minimalistic UI the second after it becomes available. And yours seem the kind of UI I want into my game, with enough space to add anything without making it clunky!

#8 Arsonal

Arsonal
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'd be all over that.  Great initial concept.

Make it so!

#9 Dryaan

Dryaan
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

I would absolutely love using bits and pieces of this, if it wasn't packaged as a single add-on.

This.

#10 bakeroftristram

bakeroftristram
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Gorgeous mockup and concept. I'd download it in a heartbeat if you ever plan to make it.

#11 MikeCW

MikeCW
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Good luck. It's a monumental task and I hope you know what you're in store for.

You have two routes:

1. Create new textures for everything, but leave alone the Lua.

2. Create new textures for everything and replace/modify the Lua.

Each is a huge task, but #2 more so.

I take it you're just interested in minimalizing/modernizing the HUD, not everything (e.g. interface menus). The latter would be even more work.

#12 Oat

Oat
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

Please make this happen...

#13 Tahuti

Tahuti
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yes yes yes, so much yes. Please.

#14 Tomed

Tomed
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Beautiful, would totally use something like this.

RareTracker - notifies you when rare mobs are nearby and uses TrackMaster to point you to them

#15 BlackmaJIK

BlackmaJIK
  • Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

I'd take a look at it for sure!  Do it for science!

Blackaye-Chua-Engineer-Corrupted Gaming-Thunderfoot

Blackmajik-Human-Spellslinger-Stormtalon

#16 Eliar

Eliar
  • Members
  • LocationIn Your Head

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:32 AM

Good effort! Very much appreciated, viking!

Been thinking about something similar since open beta (default UI leaves a lot to be desired).

If you want to get some inspiration here.. Alternatively if you'd be interested in some help, let me know.

GUI_001.jpg

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. And bring marshmallows.

Characters • Eliar (Stormtalon, NA)

#17 p2vollan

p2vollan
  • Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

Just curious if there's any interest in a modern minimal ui, before I take on the full task. Thoughts?

Def. would like to see this happen, preferably with some customizing options. I love the minimalist look, but would like some numbers on those bars.

#18 Ico

Ico
  • Guests
  • LocationOxford - UK

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

I could definitely go for a minimalist UI :).  Mock-up looks purdy! 

If another word comes out of your **** mouth, I might just have to eat every chicken on this forum.

If in doubt, Urgency the f**k out - Ancient Medic Motto.

#19 fue

fue
  • Members
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Really nice, would even donate if that Addon/Skinning UI would come out.

Missing the ElvUI so bad.

Atleast the party/raid frames.

XUn5FoI.png

#20 macieksoft

macieksoft
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

YES PLEASE! That looks great, the UI is to cluttered and the frames are to bulky in the default UI. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interface, design