Launch: a Labor of Love

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Gaffer

CRB_Gaffer
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

POPULAR

So here we are - finally about to launch WildStar.  In many ways, it's already launched.  I wanted to take a moment here to reflect at a high level.

I’m really proud to be one of the team here, and I'm proud to launch WildStar.

We started with a vision.  That vision was to make a great MMO – one we’d be proud to say “I worked on that!” for the rest of our days.  We wanted to do this in a few ways:
  • Fun combat has to be the core.  Something simple and different to start, with variety while you level, and supporting deep gameplay at the top end.
  • We wanted to take questing forward - with overlapping layers of content in an area and letting you opt into a playstyle with Paths.
  • Conversely, we wanted multiple levelling options (Battlegrounds at level 6 onwards, Adventures at 15 onwards, Dungeons at 20 onwards) for those who would rather stick a fork in their face than do more questing in another MMO, regardless of how many psychopathic hamsters are running around.
  • In particular we wanted group gameplay to feel fun and tough and fresh again.
But what we TRULY wanted was to launch the most complete MMO at launch ever.  In many ways, the first one in years – with more depth during levelling and at cap than anyone had managed before.
  • We wanted to double down on all that combat and group gameplay up to the insanity level with raiding
  • We added a freeform, anything-goes deep housing system
  • But that was part of an evil plot to that raiding insanity into custom-built epic Warplots by using the same technology set to eleventy-one.

And to execute on that vision, our guys did some great stuff.  Any of the housing dungeons (expeditions) you play?  That all happened from a weekend while all us exec types were off at a show doing press.  The team still here at home organized themselves to come in on the weekend and add them because, dammit, they didn’t want us to cut them. 

Our props team crunched to get ahead of theirschedule so that they could THEN crunch to help out other teams that were behind schedule. 

Every team, when the chips were down, put in the extra effort and sweat and tears to get the basic game in and then take the time to tune, to iterate, to listen to feedback, and to make it the best we know how to make.  A true labor of love.

How’d we do?  Time will tell.  But we’re damn proud of it.

Of course, that’s got to just be the start.  How many MMOs have you seen that launch kinda well and then fade off because users don’t stick around?  If we’re going to play with the big boys, we have to earn the right to be one of the few MMOs that can not just draw gamers in, but can earn those gamers’ loyalty over time.  It’ll be hard; it’s a tough market out there and there are giants launching on either side of us.

That’s part of why we’ve been training for this fight, by doing ginormous monthly updates over the last eight months of beta.  So that now we can see just how much we can improve, how much we can add, how much we can tune each month while we’re busy playing the game alongside our new found WildStar gamers. 

We’ll launch with multiple level 50 areas, with elder advancement, with raids, and we’ll double down on that while advancing the world story with drop after drop coming up.  We’re excited by it!

I’m sure things won’t be perfect in all ways- here’s a list of the issues we’re tracking and working on because those of you affected will (and should) care more about that then what works well (link).

But I’m truly proud of what we’ve done, and want to take a moment to thank the team who helped get us here as well as our fans who worked with us through our betas to make WildStar what it is today.   Thank you SO much.

We’ll work to continue to earn that trust.

-Jeremy

#2 Twisted_Raehne

Twisted_Raehne
  • Members
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thank you so very much for putting in the blood, sweat and tears to make this awesome game for everyone to enjoy!

#3 Zaozin

Zaozin
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

I know that you guys are really proud of the game, and that launches are rough. I just hope you realize that many of your subscribers are still unable to log in/play the game. So far I've payed for 3 days subscription and have been unable to login. Now is the official launch window and most of the servers are already full. It's probably overwhelming for you folks, but its starting to get frustrating that every MMO doesn't anticipate a larger influx of players, the same issues every time.

Well, not to be a downer, congratulations, and please don't stop working on the hotfixes. Good luck!

#4 I lift weights

I lift weights
  • Guests
  • LocationNWT Canada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

<3

Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated

RIP Zyzz, forever mirin

Veni Vidi Vici

#5 TelFiRE

TelFiRE
  • Members
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT, US

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Incredible work, incredible game. Thanks for bringing it to the world!

#6 Brysse

Brysse
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Fantastic! So glad to have been in the beta for this game! Love everything about this game.

Brysse- Aurin Stalker Explorer
Lost Serenity
Na/PVE/Semi-Hardcore

#7 Pascale Nighsong

Pascale Nighsong
  • Members
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Nicely written. And now lets play and kill some Chua.

I do a lot........ of slacking.

Characters on Jabbit: Pascale Nightsong (Co-GM Flaming Orbit), Florus Rockcrusher, Iriëlia Nighsong

#8 Rex_Marksley

Rex_Marksley
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Woohoo I could finally like a "dev" post.

Id say something heartfelt and meaningful but I want to get back to playing the awesome that is Wildstar.

#9 Galactic007

Galactic007
  • Members
  • LocationPurgatory

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

<3 <3 <3 <3

#10 Trauma650

Trauma650
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

DDOS in 3.....2.....1.....

#11 Roda

Roda
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Y'all ain't kidding with the "labor of love" thing.

In my soul hardening journey as a chronic MMO hopper,WildStar seems to have had the most love put into it than any other MMO I've played in years.

It softens my jaded gamer heart, if only a bit, to see a team so genuinely excited about their project.

I really can't wait for this game's future.

Important things from head to tail

#12 SnapTV

SnapTV
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

THANKS GUYS but i have got que when servers will start workig

#13 Yermoh

Yermoh
  • Guests
  • LocationChile

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

Nexus, here we GO!

"The good things in life are free, but the best things used to be yours." 
GO SPACE PIRATES!

Hola

#14 Geistig

Geistig
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Keep up the great work folks, it's pretty obvious you've all put in a lot of work. I'm lovin' it!

#15 Deggon

Deggon
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

I have to say I have been around since the begging (UO/EQ/ect) and to date no game has released with as much content (pve/pvp/arena/1s/2s/raids/ect) and although there was a little hic-up with the head start so far live is looking great and I'm sure Wildstar will take over the smoothest launch title from Rift/Lotro. Having said that I had my doubts about this game...namely the telegraph system, but after playing open beta weekend and getting somewhat use to it, it is one of my favorite things about the game. Thanks for all the hard work all these years putting into the game and here is to many more years to come!

#16 Milln

Milln
  • Members
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

We love you, Carbine.

I'll be here for the foreseeable future.

@DPonWakeup

All I do is make geology puns.

#17 Foxykeep

Foxykeep
  • Guests
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

Best MMORPG launch I did in 15 years of playing MMO. First fully complete MMO with the full pack at launch.

And so much fun to play on top of that :)

Roxing my level 31 engineer currently and can't wait to head back into the game to finish leveling and then enjoy the elder game content !!!

Goooooo CARBINE :)

Foxykeep | Dominion | Cassian Engineer

<The Drunk Tanks> (Avatus)

Come watch me playing!   --   Addons: ProcsHUD

#18 aaronosuke

aaronosuke
  • Members
  • LocationCroydon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

I think the amount of work you guys put in and continue to put into this amazingly well crafted game gets overlooked sometimes but I for one (as I'm sure many, many others do as well) am very gratefull and glad to be able to experience this game with you and wish you all the best for the future.

I'll be on Nexus with you every step of the way :D

#19 RlPER

RlPER
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thank all of you so much for the hard work and dedication you put into this masterpiece. I've been waiting for something like this for years, and all of you hit this nail right on the head, with a rocket powered sledgehammer.

#20 StarDown

StarDown
  • Members

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

I have been playing mmorpg since my days of MUDs in 1992, and this launch letter is the BEST.