Oceanic PVP

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 Raijinn

Raijinn
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hey Widow server players,

We wanted to give you a heads up that we are considering dropping the Oceanic label from any PVP realm for launch. We know that it's always better to play PVP against many other players and the server populations haven't been at a healthy level on Widow during Open Beta. The daily Peak Concurrent Users (PCU) barely get into the low 100's. (no other realm has a peak under four digits). The PVE Realm is healthy, but Widow is not.

Populations for Widow would have to significantly change over the weekend or else we are going to lose the label or stay closed at launch. 

Twitter: @Raijinn

#2 TopHat

TopHat
  • Members
  • LocationThe Antipodes

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

One of the problems with Oceanic labels is that North American players tend to think the server is only for Oceanics. The labels are meant as a rallying point for Oceanic players and shouldn't be deterring players form other localities. The servers are, after all, located in the same Dallas data centre.

I know that in the case of Myrcalus a lot of the NA players are surprised to learn it's a labelled Oceanic realm. I think there may be a bug in character creation that isn't highlighting realm choice, or people are just going with the default. The numbers for this realm may be skewed by that.

If the labels are going to work they need to convey that the realm is for BOTH Oceanic and North American players. Realms of this type tend to have healthy populations with round the clock activity. As one peak ends another is beginning. I know a lot of late night US players and shift workers prefer rolling on Oceanic realms for this reason.

Perhaps the label should be revised to ensure it's conveying that the realm isn't exclusively Oceanic? All are welcome.

• Tronc, Lakh, Galactic007 and 2 others like this

Knowledge is Power! :blink: 

<Database>

Oceanic Raiding

#3 Albion

Albion
  • Members
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

We wanted to give you a heads up that we are considering dropping the Oceanic label from any PVP realm for launch. We know that it's always better to play PVP against many other players and the server populations haven't been at a healthy level on Widow during Open Beta. The daily Peak Concurrent Users (PCU) barely get into the low 100's. (no other realm has a peak under four digits). The PVE Realm is healthy, but Widow is not.

Populations for Widow would have to significantly change over the weekend or else we are going to lose the label or stay closed at launch. 

I'm usually not one to argue or care but I think this is absolutely ridiculous.

You do realize if you go to realm forums there are my views, topics and replies under Widow than Myrcalus? Ever considered guilds may have been on other servers before the Oceanic labelled ones were released? Or that they might be still playing on the other servers because the whole guild is there and they're all leveled up? Migrating a guild to a new oceanic labelled server is a ridiculous amount of effort. I don't think people are too interested in doing that. Of course they will roll there for launch because it's a fresh new start and it's live.

Myrcalus (Oceanic-NA)

• 14 topics
  • 40 replies

f_icon_read.png Widow (Oceanic-NA PvP)

• 23 topics
  • 210 replies

• Moyga, Phyzix, Kuldirongaze and 5 others like this

Lunacy
Oceanic | PvPvE | Dominion
Server: Myrcalus

#4 bleevo

bleevo
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

This is dumb, most Oceanic guilds are on other servers because ppl dont feel like re rolling beta characters but intend to move for launch, had you added the label at the beginning of the beta youd be seeing different usage patterns. This stance is very short sighted...........................................................

• Kruezritter, Kie, Lakh and 2 others like this

#5 TopHat

TopHat
  • Members
  • LocationThe Antipodes

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ever considered guilds may have been on other servers before the Oceanic labelled ones were released? Or that they might be still playing on the other servers because the whole guild is there and they're all leveled up?

This is an excellent point. I know in our case we currently have guild members spread across multiple realms because some don't have the time or inclination to level up new beta toons on the brand new realms.

I asked support to transfer my characters but they said it wasn't a service they provided. Perhaps if they did your numbers would be considerably more accurate. You can't expect everyone to just abandon all of their Beta characters and relocate to a new realm for such a short open Beta.

<Database>

Oceanic Raiding

#6 Hugor

Hugor
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

I don't think they should even be tagged "Oceanic" as that is a deterrent for other player. Just remove tags for Oceanic 'focused' realms, and let the oceanic community pick their own (as in every other game probably). So, they'll be heavily focused there, but with more players aswell.

#7 Kruezritter

Kruezritter
  • Members
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Not happy about this at all - It's open beta - a lot of people haven't been playing so that they can preserve the experience till the game comes out. I don't think you guys can make an accurate call on whether then numbers are going to be low on launch at this particular moment. But if you were going to, have a look at the guild recruitment threads on Widow, they are through the roof! 

WWW.AUSMP.COM 

~ "Bury me upside down, so the world can kiss my ass"

#8 Hakuga

Hakuga
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

In line with the above points posted, there's zero incentive for Oceanic players to reroll this close to launch when there is NO ping difference in doing so.

Crazy that this wasn't given more thought.

• Lakh likes this

#9 Albion

Albion
  • Members
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

A good 90% of my guild re-rolled on Widow and are currently playing there at the moment. A few of us rushed to 30 within the first few hours/days of the Widow server opening. We hit 30 and what else are we supposed to do on a new server where everyone else is leveling? Sure I can cross realm , but who with my guild who are now low level rolling on Widow? You give us 10 days to populate a new Oceanic PvP Server? I guarantee you if there was an Oceanic PvP labelled server at the start of this when the other servers were released this would not be a problem at all.

Lunacy
Oceanic | PvPvE | Dominion
Server: Myrcalus

#10 Dreamarkitty

Dreamarkitty
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Even though I am not particularly into PVP, I agree this is very short sighted basing it on beta numbers. Numbers on it currently, do not and will not reflect the same as it will be in live.

Many people don't want to/can't re-roll for the open beta and then have to yet again reroll and level for live, it burns people out pretty quickly. Most will probably only want to do so when live hits, so having the Oceanic tag on a server put in at this point, means it doesn't have as accurate a number as it would have if a server was labelled before the pre-order beta period.

Maybe the best way to ensure it gets plenty of NA users as well is to change the 'Oceanic' tag to 'Oceanic and NA', to imply dual usage, instead of implying only Oceanic.

• TopHat, itsabell and LoCbuggerhc like this

DATABASE - Oceanic Raiding Guild (Myrcalus)(PvE)(Dominion)
COOKING DATABASE - Dishes and their locations on the Schematic window.
(Last updated 18 June.)

#11 Kie

Kie
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I personally love playing on the Widow server but I have spent time during the beta on other server because that is where I have had pre-existing characters. On launch I plan to play predominately on Widow, the only reason I am not doing that at the moment is because it was introduced late into the game.

#12 Neralyte

Neralyte
  • Members
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

The only reason some of us even bothered rerolling onto Widow this late in the beta is just so our guild can have a bit of presence for any new comers etc. A lot of our members still play on Pergo because there is absolutely no incentive to start anew when headstart begins in a couple weeks.

Not getting angry at Carbine for this decision. If the numbers aren't there I can understand that it's just not worth it (both for devs and players). But If we end up with a single flagged Oceanic realm and find ourselves overloading it then there will be all kinds of angry players out in force. My suggestion would be to continue to have the 2 server setup and after the first month of service do a review, if Widow is still looking sick and there's plenty of room on Myrcalus then maybe suggest a merge of the realms. But don't shoot yourselves in the foot before you have the correct data.

#13 Bickles

Bickles
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

The excuse i don't want to re roll beta characters so what they are gonna get wiped who cares, everyone should have jumped on there rolled a class they hadn't tried to show Carbine we had an active oceanic community, what do you think this does for them giving us servers closer to home, that idea just gone flying out the window

#14 Hugor

Hugor
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

I just hope this whole issue won't end up with the realm continuing to exist, but having population issues down the road. I don't know how large the oceanic player base is, but considering the split between PvP and PvE realms and the inevitable players who just go their own way, i hope you don't have an underpopulated realm down the line, begging Carbine for merges or transfers.

The oceanic denomination eventually moves players away from it, due to fears of no players in their time zone, or the possibility of low populations... wouldn't it be best to just unofficially tag another populated realm as oceanic, and have more safety in regards of future population?

We have the same issue in europe with french, english and german realms... you at least have no eventual language barriers.

Anyway, hope this all sorts itself for the best... i just hope you guys don't get a bad gaming experience due to this realm mix ups.

#15 Kiean

Kiean
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

I think if Carbine made this known at the start of open beta many Oceanic players would have flocked to this server to show that it was worth having it labelled. As this is coming with 3 days  left, I think its implausible to consider this action without firstly informing the community that this was what was to be considered over the open beta.

As has been raised most people were not willing to grind to a medium level again on characters that were going to be wiped. But saying that if the oceanic community knew that during beta  the population levels would be tested they would have happily  made the effort to prove a labelled server viable.

Anyways cutting a long story short,  If you wanted an accurate idea about population on a Oceanic server  you should have stated that outright or char wiped prior to open beta,  not come to what I would consider irrational conclusions about it when people  wish to re-roll on a new server to have another character wiped come head start. 

just my opinion

• Kuldirongaze likes this

#16 Sollaar

Sollaar
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Instead of cutting the server off completely, why not market it better? Why not advertise it as a NA server with Oceanic players on it, best of both worlds correct?

#17 TopHat

TopHat
  • Members
  • LocationThe Antipodes

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Maybe the best way to ensure it gets plenty of NA users as well is to change the 'Oceanic' tag to 'Oceanic and NA', to imply dual usage, instead of implying only Oceanic.

North America & Oceania

Would be my suggestion :)

• Tronc, ItsBoxZ and itsabell like this

<Database>

Oceanic Raiding

#18 bleevo

bleevo
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

The excuse i don't want to re roll beta characters so what they are gonna get wiped who cares, everyone should have jumped on there rolled a class they hadn't tried to show Carbine we had an active oceanic community, what do you think this does for them giving us servers closer to home, that idea just gone flying out the window

This wouldnt have worked they are talking about concurrent active users IE connected not toons made.

#19 itsabell

itsabell
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Even though I am not particularly into PVP, I agree this is very short sighted basing it on beta numbers. Numbers on it currently, do not and will not reflect the same as it will be in live.

Many people don't want to/can't re-roll for the open beta and then have to yet again reroll and level for live, it burns people out pretty quickly. Most will probably only want to do so when live hits, so having the Oceanic tag on a server put in at this point, means it doesn't have as accurate a number as it would have if a server was labelled before the pre-order beta period.

I really like this idea! It makes the general populace realize that the server is not just exclusive to oceanics, which should drive up the population a bit and also to allow oceanic PvPers to congregrate. Having a server with users around at all times will make for a robust economy and pvp experience. If we remove the Oceanic tag and come out with Widow and Pergo as the PVP servers, the oceanic PvP community will be confused and split amongst two servers once again.

#20 Mehknic

Mehknic
  • Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Adding my voice to the ones above.  We're looking at the server as a medium-sized community, but there was absolutely no point in forcing everyone to reroll just for open beta when we all had characters elsewhere.  Keep this thing open!