Client Optimization

Fps optimization i5 gtx 770 770

• Please log in to reply
1938 replies to this topic

#821 Bladestrome

Bladestrome
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Then there is something wrong with your system, seriously. I have not seen my CPU usage go over 20% and i get none of the framerate spiking you are speaking of. I am almost always at 30 FPS, sometimes going as high as 50 FPS, rarely going as low as 23 fps.

The game is FAR from CPU capped, meaning they have a lot of work to do on the coding to take advantage of the CPU better, this is clearly seen by opening your task manager tab. If you are getting 60% usage with framerate spikes you are in the minority, as most people are also reporting low CPU usage like myself.

Yup I did not say it was CPU capped, i can see my cores running, but its acting like it is.

The 'im alright jack' does not really help people who dont have the performance you get.  many are having issues, AMD is suspected, they have aknowledged as much.

#822 Scotty99

Scotty99
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Well why would you put the blame on your GPU when you are seeing high CPU usage, when the majority are actually seeing the opposite?

Im not getting "good" fps, its rather low for an MMO but it feels smooth, none of the framerate hitching you describe. In fact most people that post in this thread only mention they are getting low FPS, not that they are getting spiky/laggy/choppy performance, that is why i say you are having issues wuth you system.

#823 Vaporsix

Vaporsix
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

A way to turn off Bloom would be awesome....

2gx4ea9.jpg

• Fishsticks likes this

#824 lexible

lexible
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

So I've recently discovered I get the same FPS whether my GPU is running at 300mhz or 1000mhz.  Doing this cripples other games but makes no difference to Wildstar, I know people say this game is 'CPU bound' but this is a bit ridic.  I have a pretty good CPU, btw. (i7 3820 OC'ed on Water)

#825 Necandus

Necandus
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

First my specs, I apologize for the spam and extra information but I am not a very tech oriented person and am not sure what information may be helpful.

My computer: Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z68AP-D3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8110MB RAM
Page File: 2491MB used, 13724MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1GB)
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6739)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_23041787&REV_00
Display Memory: 711 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
Shared Memory: 3798 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: W2361
Monitor Id: GSM56FB
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

I would really like to play this game and give it a fair shot. Currently, even on the lowest settings with all the suggested other settings to fix (draw distance/shadows/etc) I am still only getting about 20-25 fps in the starting area for the Dominion. I find this very confusing because while this computer is 2 years old it has run other games like Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn at 50-70 fps. I know Wildstar has a reputation for being poorly optimized and kind of random when it comes to people's PC performance. My question is, is my computer clearly incapable of running the game any better, should I mess with the settings further or simply wait for the optimization to improve through patches? (hopefully).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Not sure why the text is highlighted weird, sorry.

#826 awilki01

awilki01
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

I noticed Crossfire working now on my two GPUs!  Performance has doubled for me - 70ish FPS on average in Illium (a guess).  I'm even seeing the 100s now!  I'm seeing my GPUs at about 80% usage each and the CPU is even spiking up to 70% now.  All of this on the highest graphic settings @ 1920 x 1080.

But, I'm now crashing to desktop alot!  But, even when disabling crossfire and trying the DirectX 9 version (abysmal performance with DirectX 9), I still crash to desktop.  It's something else.  But, the performance (while I can play) is phenomenal now - for me!

i5 3570k @ 4.4 Ghz

2 x AMD 7970

16 GB RAM

Saw same performance between the Catalyst 14.4 and 14.6 beta drivers.  I updated to 14.6 beta to see if that would help with my crash to desktop issue - which it did not.

There was a guy on reddit claiming that CF would work a month ago, but it didn't, hope this is not a hoax since I've been waiting for it.

I sometimes get a bad memory access error, which says that some memory was out of reach or something. Then I carsh to the desktop.

It's not a hoax.  I'll post a video on Youtube showing the framerate and GPU usage later.

#827 awilki01

awilki01
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Here's the video showing my improved performance with AMD Crossfire working...

http://youtu.be/JPPvevXLfJ8

#828 lexible

lexible
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Here's the video showing my improved performance with AMD Crossfire working...

http://youtu.be/JPPvevXLfJ8

What Crossfire settings are you using?  There is no Wildstar profile currently, so... is it just default settings?

#829 awilki01

awilki01
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

What Crossfire settings are you using?  There is no Wildstar profile currently, so... is it just default settings?

Yeah, I'm just using default settings.  I'm not setting up any application specific settings...  Make SURE you are running in full screen mode.  The Wildstar client defaulted to windowed full screen for me.

#830 ZigR

ZigR
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Worst optimized game ever.

The graphic is nothing better than the other game in current market but consume PC resource so much.

( I want to refund if I can)

#831 Jorn

Jorn
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

I do notice this game has a ton of shaders maybe even when you lower game settings shaders never change.

#832 CRB_Buiden

CRB_Buiden
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

I'll inquire about bloom tomorrow.  Also we have a slider/console variable on the way for environmental effects.

Lead Software Engineer -- @CRB_Buiden

#833 styrm

styrm
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

Anyone heard anything about when nvidia will release optimal setting in the g-force experience thingy? It worked wonders in wow so:)

And also..has anyone tried to OC thier I7 4770K cpu? and seen any improvement in wildstar? I run that cpu on stock values and i dont like oc'ing but if it realy helps...

Not that I have major perforamnce problems tbo, but still....

#834 Mogitu

Mogitu
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

The graphic is nothing better than the other game in current market but consume PC resource so much.

I would advice a checkup on your eyes, asap.

#835 Sholvah

Sholvah
  • Members
  • LocationSpain

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

Quick overview of my specs, first:

i5 2400@3.3 (no OC)
8 GB RAM@1333
GTX 770 2GB OC edition from Asus with latest official DX11 optimized drivers (not very overclocked but a bit, just as it comes from Asus, I don't need to OC it more since it's powerful enough for what I play)
Windows 7 64 bit. 
Using 2x WD Caviar Blacks on raid 0 where the game is installed (the raid peaks at around 225 MB/s reading speeds)

Most relevant ingame settings I customized are view distance, which I have on the mid (588 I think), and shadows on medium, the rest is the highest possible, playing at 1920 by 1080, vertical FoV at 65 (since it can affect performance, it's relevant to mention it).

So well, I can see the performance is better than it was on the betas, at least for me. It's still not there yet, as most people point out, FPS are very spiky at times. Questing at the moment in Whitevale is fine, around 50-60 FPS in combat.

But yeah, doing 5 man dungeons FPS tend to fluctuate a lot, they don't go too low but certainly they don't stay at 60 FPS or something like that. Special effects from skills might be the cause, since dungeons don't usually have huge open spaces like a normal big zone has, so view distance shouldn't be affecting me inside a dungeon that much, at least the one I did (Stormtalon's).

Then we have Thayd, performance there is all over the place and I feel the game is loading stuff almost everytime, and specially when moving from one part to another within the city. Might be related to HD usage, or that the CPU can't handle all the NPC and players present at the same time. Since my setup is 3 years old, it's not that bad, since i get anything between 30 and 40 something FPS in Thayd which for a major city in an MMO is pretty ok, but the asset loading issue makes it a bit choppy for a couple seconds when moving around.

On 10 man PvP battlegrounds performance seems pretty irregular aswell, it depends on how many players there're on screen. Again, special effects might be causing issues, not too bad tho, it's playable but could improve.

Overall, from my point of view and having experienced how the game ran 3-4 months ago in beta, it's better, but it's still underperforming I feel.

Granted, this same machine (except the GPU, I had a 560 non TI 3 years ago) ran SWTOR in 2011 and that game had some issues as well, which most were fixed later. Wildstar is nowhere as bad performance wise, at least for me. I remember 9 FPS in SWTOR's open PvP planet and <30 FPS in some warzones because they were pretty unoptimized at launch and our HD's were reading assets the whole time. Good days, I guess :P

Furthermore, I think server load might be affecting performance at some peak hours, but I haven't bothered to properly test this yet.

So that's about it when it comes how the game runs for me, I'm holding up a PC upgrade which I wanted to do this summer, since most games I play still run pretty fine with my current setup but yeah, I usually do a CPU-mobo upgrade after 3-4 years, and the time is around the corner again.

#836 Crackseed

Crackseed
  • Guests
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

I believe that there is still optimization needed in the client but it's certainly improved. I want to point out another thing to check while we're self testing our own PCs.

In my case it looks like the culprit is something I did not ever anticipate - at the suggestion of another gamer who was having similar problems, I ran a Core Temp program. My CPU is overheating, pushing up past 90 degrees C to like 95-96 at times. While I can obviously put some more coolant paste on it and overhaul the cooling fan, this is probably the real devil that's been hampering my WildStar performance [and explains some of my past troubles in WoW too]

So while it's likely this isn't really a problem for most people here, if you haven't double checked or ever checked your CPU temp, do give that a peek as well just to see. It will make a huge difference with a heavy CPU game like this.

#837 Cotheer

Cotheer
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

So, i just bought a R9 290 card and framerate did improve, Thayd is...playable with FPS ranging from 30-70+ but mostly 40+.

Everything on max except FXAA, which I turned off completely.

What i did notice is that VRAM usage jumped to ~1.5GB which is kinda unusual because while on my old card (6950 2GB model) VRAM usage was just under 0.9GB.

All i can say, is there is still a lot of work to be done, only two CPU cores barely pass the 50% usage, the other two are just chilling.

Edit:

Disregard the above, it's in fact 6950 1GB model, so no wonder the usage lol

#838 Rhob

Rhob
  • Members
  • LocationSpain

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

What I don't really get is that I get a whooping ~5 fps difference between Ultra high and Ultra low (both with minimum drawing distance), Radeon 7850 OC and AMD FX 4130 OCd to 4,3 Ghz (yes, I'm already thinking about a FX 8xxx series).

#839 RevyLagoon

RevyLagoon
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well, loaded the game up today and boom there was a overall 25 fps increase across the board for me which was a breath of fresh air. Still not where i'd like it to be but now at least my capital city is playable thank god. Keep up the work carbine I'm sure we'll get there. 

#840 Shiroe

Shiroe
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Is it just me or is SweetFX not working anymore since the last update?

The Storm is coming!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fps, optimization, i5, gtx 770, 770