Fps optimization i5 gtx 770 770

• Please log in to reply
1942 replies to this topic

#1 SeanCraig

SeanCraig
  • Banned

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I’d like to take the time to give a brief update on the state of our optimization efforts for Wildstar.

First, good news for those of you with SLI and Crossfire graphics cards.  The code changes have been made to support these cards are done and are being tested internally.  Those of you with these cards should see a significant improvement in frame rate.

We’re also optimizing our new UI.  The new UI (UI 2.0) is much better looking than the previous version, but there are significant opportunities for performance improvements that we’re pursuing.  In particular, the raid frame and nameplate add-ons are being improved.   There were also major changes to chat log, target frame, and the health shield bar. 

We continue to increase CPU performance by moving more and more code off onto separate threads.  We’ve also been making improvements to PVP and Raid content - areas with lots of players casting spells. 

We’re also looking at specific areas in the game which have degraded performance.  Sometimes these are due to bad collision objects, bad geometry, excessive particles, or the occasional content bug.  We’re eliminating these as fast as we can find and diagnose them.

Our optimization efforts will not stop with launch.  There are a number of changes we’re planning on making which have the potential for major improvements but that can’t be done in the launch timeframe.

In the meantime, there are a number of graphics settings which can be used to coax better performance out of the game.  We’re planning on adding the Render Target Scale back in to the graphics options, but until we do, you change the value by typing

/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("lod.renderTargetScale", 0.5)

This will "pixelate" the screen a little; 1.0 is full screen.  I wouldn't recommend going above 1.0 :)

For PVP or Raiders, you might also try changing

/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("spell.visualSuppression", 0.75) 

This will suppress visual effects if there are too many cast spells on the screen.  Setting it to 0 will supress nothing, 1.0 will suppress all spell casts but their own.

Keep in mind that these settings will persist on log out.

Thank you for your support!

Sean Craig

Technical Director

Carbine Studios

For the latest news response on this subject from Sean Craig, please see this post

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Render Target Scale is already in the game, never seen it go away :/

#3 Yushi

Yushi
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Render Target Scale is already in the game, never seen it go away :/

You use to be able to bring up much higher before.

#4 Hoppy

Hoppy
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I know, you dont need to do any console stuff to bring it down like he suggests

• anushkaro and Johnukcig123 like this

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Director of Operations

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Ooops! Hoppy is right, looks like Bitwise and the UI elves put that option back in. Ignore that portion of the forum post, please :)

#teamCrowbar

<-- Ops Guy

~C~

#6 G4MR

G4MR
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("lod.renderTargetScale", 0.5) (exact same frames on all settings)
/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("spell.visualSuppression", 0.75)

does nothing for me on my gtx 750, changing resolutions does nothing for me either

I get the best frames in Northern Wilds which stay at around 30-45, the rest of the map drops me to 25.

This area gives me the best performance in the game http://i.imgur.com/uRVXHir.jpg sitting at around 40-45 fps ULTRA LOW

Edit: Please let me lower horizon view distance to see if that helps, i think default minimum is at 1024.

• Veca85 likes this

#7 goldnugget

goldnugget
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

POPULAR

when are you going to add the ability to scale back environmental particle effects? this is a large reason for frame rate drops.  this one setting can double or triple fps for people. Do you even have any plans for this?  this is the "miracle patch" everyone is waiting for.

• Fragged, TalonVector, Blimington and 12 others like this

#8 bbnn

bbnn
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

this should be stickied, tired of seeing the same topics complaining about performance...

• Talynia, MollyCoddle, Mamatereza and 3 others like this
Oceanic
Dominion - Myrcalus

#9 huggable_baneling

huggable_baneling
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

^yup, pls sticky this, especially if you can just constantly update this thread

• Talynia and Mamatereza like this

#10 Daedalus

Daedalus
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Why is there no full screen setting any more..every one of the settings say somthing about windowed..

#11 Talynia

Talynia
  • Members
  • LocationIn yo' kitchen stealing yo' cookies and bacon!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Sticky this please, otherwise it just looks like another optimization 'complaint' thread.  :ph34r:

• Sycogenesis and Mamatereza like this

Cassian Esper Scientist

<WhT> is recruiting on Stormtalon 

"Note to all Hardcore, Softcore, Softserve, WhippyCream, and Casual Players. Stop trying to create distinctions for yourselves and enjoy the game." - Tankanidis

#12 Foooo

Foooo
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

When is Mantle support being added?

• Derisat likes this

Foo - No Quarter

#13 Hendrycks12

Hendrycks12
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

So happy about this update! I'm just wondering if any of these improvements will be added during beta? 

#14 Sycogenesis

Sycogenesis
  • Guests
  • LocationMD

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=nXQciqwm6p8 fps video test inside illum specs are in the description devs hope it helps in any way shape or form

http://www.twitch.tv/sycogenesis "Member of the Baltimore Extra life group"

#15 TalonVector

TalonVector
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Not soon enough for me to buy the game carbine, I may check in from time to time to read what others comments r on the performance issues b4 I am wiling to purchase the game, this has been goin on for far too long, again good luck with getting this stuff fixed but Im already paying to play on incomplete mmo, and just dont want to have another 1 on that list.

So until I read many comments on good performance, u all have not gained me as a costomer, despite your post u just made.

#16 intrinsc

intrinsc
  • Members
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Remember, guys, that as your GPU makers start diving into the launched product they will also start optimizing drivers and profiles for the game.

• Likkie likes this

#17 Greymantle4

Greymantle4
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

If you can get my average FPS above 40 before open beta ends you have a customer here. If not I will wait a few months and take a look again.

• Epicon79, Killko and Mamatereza like this

#18 Perb

Perb
  • Guests
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Render target scale is an amazing option for weaker GPUs, but what about weaker CPUs? The one option that gave me the most fps gain is view distance. Is there any chance the slider can go lower than 256?

#19 UndeadBizkit

UndeadBizkit
  • Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Sitting here getting around 30 to 40 fps in most zones (everything maxed out) but does drop to below 24 frames in hub areas.

nvidia gtx 780

intel i7 4770k

16gb ddr ram

The big problem i think is the cpu core distribution, i have one core that gets to 100% load while the other 7 cores idle at around 20% to 50% probably not even due to Wildstar.

Now i am not a software developer so i couldn't say how hard this is to do but why is that? Is it so hard to optimize for multiple cores?

Also it would be nice to have an indicator to see what currently bottlenecks the fps (CPU/GPU) Landmark does that.

#20 Zybak

Zybak
  • Guests
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

CPU optimization was where I was starting to get worried. Glad to see that you guys are actually going to be able to use multicore processors effectively *hopefully*

• Pastar, Talynia, Withers and 4 others like this

Join the other 75,000 people and subscribe to my YouTube channel        Twitch        Twitter        Facebook

<ENIGMA> Fighting the good fight against the Redcoats *Eugenic*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fps, optimization, i5, gtx 770, 770