Photo

Does PVE, Economy, etc. suffer on PVP servers?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FreedomJesus

FreedomJesus
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'm committed to rolling on a PVP server... but I wanted to get a sense of how PVE is affected by all this. Is the PVE community tiny, will grouping up and running dungeons/quests etc. a lot more difficult? Is the economy much different on a PVP server? Please share your expierence

• I do like to do both, I'm an avid Dota player and was a PVP junky back in the days of Ultima Online... but I also don't want to invest time in a pvp server if it means PVE content will be more difficult to participate in.

#2 Livnthedream

Livnthedream
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yes, economies tend to be different because its "harder" to farm out in the world. Prices tend to be higher as supply is lower. This gets exacerbated by imbalanced servers.

#3 Outt

Outt
  • Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

PvE-wise, it's really only different during the leveling phase right after release, when there's a bunch of folks from each faction in the same quest zone.  Raids/Dungeons/Etc are still exactly the same and just as much participation as a PvE server, but those of us that roll on a PvP server do it mostly for the random ganking and open world PvP that can happen when out doing quests/dailies/etc.  It just adds another element to the game, and can be a lot of fun,

#4 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Guests
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I've never played on a PvE server so I wouldn't know. You know, because I'm not a giant pansy. ;)

• Lethality, Medieval and Barvi like this

Mahanaxar the Mohawked Mordesh Medic

Officer of <Darkhand> (Pago-PvP) - http://www.the-darkhand.com

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#5 Chomag

Chomag
  • Members
  • LocationBucharest. Romania.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Yes, economies tend to be different because its "harder" to farm out in the world. Prices tend to be higher as supply is lower. This gets exacerbated by imbalanced servers.

No, it's not harder. Sure, you may be ganked but other than a few minutes it's not gonna take from your farming time. Unless ofcourse you run into one of those people who camp you for no reason over and over.

Edited by BusterCasey, 30 April 2014 - 12:44 PM.
Language

Mechari Stalker

Have I ever told you about Forum Insanity? Forum insanity is being proven undeniably wrong yet continuing to post in hopes that your opinions would somehow persuade the readers that you're right.

#6 Black Mink

Black Mink
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well, I can't say how much this will affect Wildstar, but PvP servers have always been very detrimental to PvE in my experience.

The reason is because people who go to play on a PvP server, do so with the mindset that they want to kill other players. This leads to a very messed up class population. Tanks and healers become very rare because 95% of people want to be damage dealers for PvP purposes. Those few who are willing to tank or heal are often terrible at it because they 1. Dont get enough practice, 2. Don't really want to in the first place, or 3. They are geared and specced for PvP play.

The result is a very weak PvE game from your server's population. Cross server dungeon finders help a LOT with this issue, but that doesn't solve all of your PvE needs.

Personally, I have been there and done that. I would rather have a more reliable PvE population and just do battleground for my PvP needs.

• Edymnion and Hushabye like this

#7 Medieval

Medieval
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Well, I can't say how much this will affect Wildstar, but PvP servers have always been very detrimental to PvE in my experience.

The reason is because people who go to play on a PvP server, do so with the mindset that they want to kill other players. This leads to a very messed up class population. Tanks and healers become very rare because 95% of people want to be damage dealers for PvP purposes. Those few who are willing to tank or heal are often terrible at it because they 1. Dont get enough practice, 2. Don't really want to in the first place, or 3. They are geared and specced for PvP play.

The result is a very weak PvE game from your server's population. Cross server dungeon finders help a LOT with this issue, but that doesn't solve all of your PvE needs.

Personally, I have been there and done that. I would rather have a more reliable PvE population and just do battleground for my PvP needs.

Are you serious or just trolling? The most hardcore raiding guilds usually come from PvP servers, Why is this? Because hardcore guilds know that the most aware and potentially best players will be PvPing along with raiding if they so desire. You tend to get more casual players on PvE servers and while yes you also can get more raiders, they tend to not be as strong as a pvper turned raider who has a strong sense of rotation and raid awareness.

Medieval | AVID | Spellslanger
Join Team Avid in an upcoming or current title
| WoW | WildStar | Pantheon | EQNext |

#8 Aethrysa

Aethrysa
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

The top raiding servers in WoW (when I was playing) were always PvP servers. No idea if that will hold true for Wildstar, though I wouldn't doubt it.

Holly ♥ 50 Warrior ♥ Avatus ♥ Dominion

#9 Medieval

Medieval
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

The top raiding servers in WoW (when I was playing) were always PvP servers. No idea if that will hold true for Wildstar, though I wouldn't doubt it.

Still true to this day. I'd argue Illidan and Twisted Nether are the strongest raiding server in wow and they are pvp.

Medieval | AVID | Spellslanger
Join Team Avid in an upcoming or current title
| WoW | WildStar | Pantheon | EQNext |

#10 Lori

Lori
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

The top raiding servers in WoW (when I was playing) were always PvP servers.

Still true. About 35 of the 50 most active servers for raiding in WoW are PvP servers.

#11 Black Mink

Black Mink
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Are you serious or just trolling? 

DEAD serious. The worst Dungeon and Raiding experiences I have ever had have been on PvP servers or in PvP centric games. You can claim otherwise all you want, but you can't change what I have seen and experienced first hand. Since you mention WOW, I will even say that WOW was one of the biggest offenders. I eventually rage quit my server over this stuff. Got sick of not being able to do PvE stuff because tanks and healers were crazy hard to come by. Finally tried a PvE server and I couldn't believe it. Not only were there a LOT more tanks and healers around, they actually knew what they were doing.

Maybe I just happened to get a bad server, but it is what it is, and WOW wasn't the only game I experienced this kind of thing in. This is an honest answer to the OP's question.

• Hushabye likes this

#12 HBlix

HBlix
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

All the most progressed servers in wow were always pvp servers. This bias in progression toward pvp servers had the unintended consequence that people rerolled/transferred to them for the sole purpose of finding a pve guild. Over time, one faction became overpopulated and ended up ruining the world pvp aspect of the server. Illidan (my server and home to some of the most progressed guilds, most of which were horde) had a relatively balanced horde/ally pop in vanilla, a healthy one in bc, but by wrath, the alliance were an endangered species. Illidan basically became a PvE server for the last 3 expansions because the odds you'd actually encounter an enemy was essentially zero.

#13 Wolff Laarcen

Wolff Laarcen
  • Guests
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

EVERYONE suffers on PvP servers.  Isn't suffering the entire point of PvP?

"With the loss of himself, he loses the knowledge of loss."

#14 Royko

Royko
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Counterpoint:  This is sometimes balanced out by high population.

Medic Shadow Company Warbringer

#15 Rumm

Rumm
  • Members
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yup, in fact as of right now, 8 of the top 10 most progressed servers in WoW are PvP. The top 5 are all PvP. In Europe - the top 14 servers in terms of PvE progression are all PvP ruleset servers. 

The best players are attracted to the most competitive servers. Now in WoW it kind of got out of hand in terms of server balance, but I'm going to make the prediction that most of the first guilds to clear GA will be on PvP servers. 

Rumm

Avatus | Dominion Esper

<Enigma>

#16 Ruzaki

Ruzaki
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Are you serious or just trolling? The most hardcore raiding guilds usually come from PvP servers, Why is this? Because hardcore guilds know that the most aware and potentially best players will be PvPing along with raiding if they so desire. You tend to get more casual players on PvE servers and while yes you also can get more raiders, they tend to not be as strong as a pvper turned raider who has a strong sense of rotation and raid awareness.

yet you are in a guild that any anything but hardcore... sure you raid all the time but yor guild lacks solid players.Not to mention your GM will hold back the entire guild just to suit him. Remember i was part of avid i have seen how much fail is in that guild.

Also your notion of pvp servers as true back before pvp gear was so imbalanced in MMOs

#17 HellspawnDDM

HellspawnDDM
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

No, it's not harder. Sure, you may be ganked but other than a few minutes it's not gonna take from your farming time. Unless ofcourse you run into one of those people who camp you for no reason over and over.

When I gank over and over and over, its for a reason. Because Exiles like the Alliance in WoW are my enemie.

#18 Ruzaki

Ruzaki
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Yup, in fact as of right now, 8 of the top 10 most progressed servers in WoW are PvP. The top 5 are all PvP. In Europe - the top 14 servers in terms of PvE progression are all PvP ruleset servers. 

The best players are attracted to the most competitive servers. Now in WoW it kind of got out of hand in terms of server balance, but I'm going to make the prediction that most of the first guilds to clear GA will be on PvP servers. 

if you look they are also the oldest guilds around too many formed befor resiliance was part of wow. Those servers are also the most populated and the best players go to where the players are regardless of ruleset.

not aying the same may not end up being true for wildstar but just keep things in mind.

#19 Ruzaki

Ruzaki
  • Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

When I gank over and over and over, its for a reason. Because Exiles like the Alliance in WoW are my enemie.

or the fact you suck like a new hoover and have to gank and camp cause a legit fight is not something you can win.