Seasonal content

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I will say that we're trying to avoid a lot of the overt iconography from the holidays. Gourds? Sure. Carved gourds with lights in them? Maybe not.

As an obsessed Halloween fanatic (I'm a haunter, I run a for profit haunted house every year, basically every day is Halloween for me, I only get to let it out in October though), I would like to request the jack-o-lanterns at least.

Jack-o-Lanterns, skeletons, whole nine yards.  I plan on having my Mordesh run a haunted house in game, and all the Halloween props you can make will be put to great use.  I already plan on using the Haunted Holocrypt sword (or as the voting is going right now, the Rest in Piecemaker) as part of his costume year round, and if I could make the Hallowed Helm from WoW (or something similar to it) into a costume item for him as well, I would be a happy, happy camper.

60607.jpg

No, seriously, if that had been viable for transmog, half my toons would have been wearing it 24/7/365.

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#22 Dularu

Dularu
  • Members
  • LocationAtlantis, Dome-4

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Birthday gifts please. UO had a really cool system where on your birthday you would get to choose one of six(ish) items that you could ONLY get on a birthday. Only one I clearly remember was a wand that shot fireworks.

Oh, and a big cake decor item that disappears after 24 hours. That would be rad.

#23 TheDetour

TheDetour
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hello!

I have the privilege of planning out seasonal events for WildStar. Lethality's links tell you a good bit of high concept of three of our holidays. We're definitely doing more than dailies, too (and yes, there are dailies) -- we want you to have some interesting things to do during the holidays! We're definitely keeping all of our systems in mind when making these events.

Curious, isn't it, that the shiphand team that brought you Space Madness and Gauntlet have been tasked with making holiday content...

:D

We're definitely trying to avoid the "slap a Santa hat on a guy, make some snow, spawn a tree, and call it good" level of holiday content creation. Each holiday we create in WildStar should feel very at home within our universe. We're not trying to shoehorn real-world holidays into our lore. Instead, our holidays take something that is very reminiscent of the holiday season in broad strokes and make the story and the details uniquely WildStar in nature. Shade's Eve is spooky and shares a general feel of scaring folks, but the reasons behind it are completely rooted in Cassus' history. Winter's holiday is indeed a time of rushed consumerism (much like our modern holiday season), but with an intensely Protostar flavor.

We hope that you like what we come up with and enjoy the holidays of Nexus when they arrive!

This is very disappointing to hear.  I don't feel that seasonal content has improved any MMO I've played and in some cases (especially World of Warcraft... WAR to a lesser extent) really took you out of the world and made you realize that you were actually playing a game.  Seasonal decorations for player housing is something that can be avoided (and I have no say - if people want "Christmas lights" in December on their house, that's their house and their business) by players who don't wish to participate, but I'm not in favor of changing capital cities and other locales for seasons based on times of year that are based in our world (WildStar shouldn't have a holiday in December just because we do).

It is your game Carbine, and you certainly have the license to try holidays... and maybe they won't suck.

But they haven't added anything measurable to any MMO yet and I don't feel they'd be necessary or helpful in this one (never once during beta have I thought - this game is missing something.... ah, holidays!; that is very damning to the feature in my opinion).  

Very disappointed.  I was hoping that Carbine would be above this.

#24 TexArcana

TexArcana
  • Members
  • LocationDeep in the Heart of Nexus

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

I happily counteract his disappointment with my unmitigated enthusiasm! 

Love seasonal content. Love in-game holidays. Love the changes of scenery and cool things to collect and nifty characters and lore tie-ins and ... and ... and ...

Yeah. Gimme all the things!

Sheriff Texarcana

#25 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Eh, matter of opinion, I personally love holidays in MMO's to break up the monotony of everything looking the same every single day.  I would be greatly disappointed if Carbine *DIDN'T* have them.

Give me all the holidays.  Give me limited time "get it now or wait until next year!" holiday housing items, costumes, crafting patterns, the whole nine yards!

One cool thing that WoW did that I'd love to see in WS was the Christmas event having Santa (ahem, "Father Winter") mail special crafting patterns out to people.  That way tailors could make santa suits, leatherworkers could make santa boots, etc.

I'd love to see all of the various WS crafting professions get patterns that have to be put together to make really cool holiday costumes.

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#26 Caydiem

Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

This is very disappointing to hear.  I don't feel that seasonal content has improved any MMO I've played and in some cases (especially World of Warcraft... WAR to a lesser extent) really took you out of the world and made you realize that you were actually playing a game.  Seasonal decorations for player housing is something that can be avoided (and I have no say - if people want "Christmas lights" in December on their house, that's their house and their business) by players who don't wish to participate, but I'm not in favor of changing capital cities and other locales for seasons based on times of year that are based in our world (WildStar shouldn't have a holiday in December just because we do).

It is your game Carbine, and you certainly have the license to try holidays... and maybe they won't suck.

But they haven't added anything measurable to any MMO yet and I don't feel they'd be necessary or helpful in this one (never once during beta have I thought - this game is missing something.... ah, holidays!; that is very damning to the feature in my opinion).  

If I may present a (slightly biased) counterpoint and explanation...

Limited-time events in games are interesting because they change the state of the world for a while, giving players access to content that is only around for a brief time -- including some nifty rewards. This helps further spice up what may have become routine and keeps people around to check out what might change! Holidays are often used as a vehicle for this because they are, by their very nature, repeatable annually. As a result, all of the initial art and design work you've done for the holiday doesn't go to waste, because it will cycle back around. The same is untrue of a one-time event, where much of what you've done often gets discarded. In addition, by keeping them going annually, now players have something to look forward to coming back around. Maybe they really enjoyed the content, or missed a reward that they wanted to grab the previous year.

So now that we understand the vehicle of the limited-time content, why holidays around real-world holidays? It depends on the holiday, actually -- right now we're shooting for one per season. In American culture (I know it's different abroad, particularly for Halloween), Halloween and Christmas are two of the most prominent holidays in terms of decoration and mood. Outside of the game, people are more likely to be in the spirit of the holiday. Thus it's great to harness the broad strokes of that general holiday -- the spookiness of Halloween, for example -- without straight-up making the holiday itself in the game. It works far better than making a holiday that is very discordant with the real-world happenings.

In addition to all that, in certain times of year (Winter, Spring, Summer) there are weeks scheduled around the real-world holidays wherein many people have extra vacation time to indulge in their entertainment pastimes, like a li'l MMO they might play. ;) Lining up the in-game holidays -- regardless of how relevant they are to the real holidays -- to be roughly around the same time leads to a good deal more novelty and interest.

Now, all that said, our goal with seasonal content is to change up the world a bit, provide some fun limited-time content you can look forward to cycling back once a year, and help make the world of Nexus more alive. That does not mean cramming Santa into Nexus' lore somehow, but instead to hit the high concept notes of a seasonal event with WildStar-flavored lore.

Holidays aren't for everyone, and I completely get that. But they're also content that's new and accessible to as many people as we can manage, and they tend to be pretty popular in my experience. I hope you'll give our take on the concept a try. :)

#27 8ob

8ob
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

The fact that a developer of a game, during beta, near launch rush, has taken time out of his day to explain  to a bunch of players talking about a feature that they won't even see for awhile, and what they plan to do with said feature...Not to mention how one person expressed distaste for such events, and he comes in and offers and very well written and neutral observation as to why they might be good...

I must say Carbine....you are...simply blowing my mind...I'm pretty sure I will simply be buying credd and using it myself just so i can give you more money...This ladies and gentlemen..is how you run a company. Bravo Carbine...bravo.

Looking for a group of people who want to do it all? Infinite-Eclipse.com NA/Exiles/Pago/Semi-hardcore(end game content without the time commitment)

#28 Ratstomper

Ratstomper
  • Guests
  • LocationDeep in the Ozark Mountains

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Glad to hear it. I really like holidays in MMOs. Makes me feel all festive. The more holidays the better!   :D

Rowsdower Pergo Server

Gryff - Exile Spellslinger

#29 HellspawnDDM

HellspawnDDM
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

We know Pappy and friends have at least 3 holidays planned - Shade's Eve (Halloween) - Foundation Day/Starfall (4th of July) and the Protostar Gala Winterfest Extravaganza (Christmas)!

Awesome this makes me very happy :)

#30 Aksunamu

Aksunamu
  • Guests
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

I love holidays in MMO too, I hope Wildstar have a lot of them xD

Aurin Esper / Mordesh Warrior / Aurin Stalker

#31 HellspawnDDM

HellspawnDDM
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

If I may present a (slightly biased) counterpoint and explanation...

Limited-time events in games are interesting because they change the state of the world for a while, giving players access to content that is only around for a brief time -- including some nifty rewards. This helps further spice up what may have become routine and keeps people around to check out what might change! Holidays are often used as a vehicle for this because they are, by their very nature, repeatable annually. As a result, all of the initial art and design work you've done for the holiday doesn't go to waste, because it will cycle back around. The same is untrue of a one-time event, where much of what you've done often gets discarded. In addition, by keeping them going annually, now players have something to look forward to coming back around. Maybe they really enjoyed the content, or missed a reward that they wanted to grab the previous year.

So now that we understand the vehicle of the limited-time content, why holidays around real-world holidays? It depends on the holiday, actually -- right now we're shooting for one per season. In American culture (I know it's different abroad, particularly for Halloween), Halloween and Christmas are two of the most prominent holidays in terms of decoration and mood. Outside of the game, people are more likely to be in the spirit of the holiday. Thus it's great to harness the broad strokes of that general holiday -- the spookiness of Halloween, for example -- without straight-up making the holiday itself in the game. It works far better than making a holiday that is very discordant with the real-world happenings.

In addition to all that, in certain times of year (Winter, Spring, Summer) there are weeks scheduled around the real-world holidays wherein many people have extra vacation time to indulge in their entertainment pastimes, like a li'l MMO they might play. ;) Lining up the in-game holidays -- regardless of how relevant they are to the real holidays -- to be roughly around the same time leads to a good deal more novelty and interest.

Now, all that said, our goal with seasonal content is to change up the world a bit, provide some fun limited-time content you can look forward to cycling back once a year, and help make the world of Nexus more alive. That does not mean cramming Santa into Nexus' lore somehow, but instead to hit the high concept notes of a seasonal event with WildStar-flavored lore.

Holidays aren't for everyone, and I completely get that. But they're also content that's new and accessible to as many people as we can manage, and they tend to be pretty popular in my experience. I hope you'll give our take on the concept a try. :)

Well said Caydiem, I love holiday events.

#32 Ratstomper

Ratstomper
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

No offense, but... 

Booooo!

Rowsdower Pergo Server

#33 Dungeon47

Dungeon47
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Personally, I really liked WoW's holidays and would love to see imported Halloween and Christmas, etc. That said, I can understand Carbine's desire to keep things consistent with their lore. Anyway--HOLIDAYS!

#34 Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

I might be in the minority here, but I like how they incorporated holidays into GW2.  It wasn't really necessarily "the holiday", but something along the spirits of that holiday.  Some great content that wasn't over the top and had some unique gear based on which holiday content you did.  I'm all for this if Carbine can capture some of that same spirit.

#35 Darkulous

Darkulous
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

I can almost guarantee Christmas and Halloween decorations for homes. 

I was going say I just want a Santa Hat for my dude, but then I saw this ^ and was like "christmas lights!" 

#36 Chuaurin

Chuaurin
  • Members
  • LocationBehind that tree!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Is it wrong to hope instead of "Santa hats" we get "Phineous T. Rotostar Head Toppers" which look like the top of his head? It would be disturbingly hilarious. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Firefighter Wardell

Xila: Aurin Stalker/Explorer Yola: Aurin Esper/Scientist Reezza: Chua Engineer/Scientist Dott: Chua Medic/Explorer ~Evindra~

#37 Darkulous

Darkulous
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hey what about random World Events?  Have the Devs mentioned anything of possibly having those?  I know some people don't like them for "party pooper" reasons but I figured the WS community wouldn't sweat it.

Of course, a good old fashion Zombie event is always fun.  

#38 Ratstomper

Ratstomper
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hey what about random World Events?  Have the Devs mentioned anything of possibly having those?  I know some people don't like them for "party pooper" reasons but I figured the WS community wouldn't sweat it.

Of course, a good old fashion Zombie event is always fun.  

One of my favorite MMO memories was one Halloween in EQ back in the day where the undead showed up in zones all across the world for people to fight. Massive skeletons and stuff everywhere. Lowbie zones, highbie zones: nowhere was safe...except the capital cities where skeleton and scarecrow NPCs handed out free cookies. 

Man, good times. Gave a nice break from the norm for a night. 

Rowsdower Pergo Server

#39 Justicegood

Justicegood
  • Members
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

the 4 things i like about seasonal events are 

1. Achievements

2. Costumes and cool armors, helmets and nice looking gear (doesn't have to be powerful, just nice looking)

3. Rare items like consumables, pets, or dyes, or toys.

4. Maybe something for my house, season doodads to place in my house.

I am a collector, power gamer, and an achievement hunter to a degree and i like to have things that are hard to come by. They don't have to be powerful or game breaking, but they should be fun, or provide witty buffs or costumes or color changes or size things. They could also be tradable (not that i would try to sell seasonal things to other players but )

Sorry if i have an annoying world of warcraft vibe to me. I am trying to detoxicfy from wow :)

"A good heart wins many friends, and plenty of wealth"

"If you want the good, you must put up with the bad"

"Happiness is elusive, but peace is always inside everybody"

#40 Ivorath

Ivorath
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Is it wrong to hope instead of "Santa hats" we get "Phineous T. Rotostar Head Toppers" which look like the top of his head? It would be disturbingly hilarious. 

The whole december holiday being one big Protostar marketing scheme... :D

That would be a guilty pleasure for me.