Photo

Seasonal content

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 PeppeLePeu

PeppeLePeu
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

So this may have been approached but i am really hoping Carbine jumps on seasonal content and just makes it fantastic. For me it really makes the seasons / holidays a fun time in game and out as it provides a great distraction from the normal grind and brings guilds and friends together to do the unique seasonal challenges. Im just hoping carbine steps up their game and does it. 

And by seasonal content i dont mean ffxiv's lame attempt at seasonal content with a couple bomb-o-lantern decorations and a lame collect quest but rather taking a page out of arena nets book and delivering great things... i have yet to have as much fun as i have had in gw2 in regards to seasonal content with everything from their ghost vs human pvp match, or the christmas runs and other things like that. ATM gw2 brings my entire guild back regardless of what game we are in every season just to have fun in their over the top pluthera of fun things and thats rather sad as we should be wanting to stay in our current game and love the seasonal joy there... 

#2 Chomag

Chomag
  • Members
  • LocationBucharest. Romania.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

And the flood gates of pointless seasonal daily quests have OPENED!

Mechari Stalker

Have I ever told you about Forum Insanity? Forum insanity is being proven undeniably wrong yet continuing to post in hopes that your opinions would somehow persuade the readers that you're right.

#3 Lethality

Lethality
  • Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

We know Pappy and friends have at least 3 holidays planned - Shade's Eve (Halloween) - Foundation Day/Starfall (4th of July) and the Protostar Gala Winterfest Extravaganza (Christmas)!

Unhappy with this post? Ignore me here.

#4 PeppeLePeu

PeppeLePeu
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

And the flood gates of pointless seasonal daily quests have OPENED!

All dailies are pointless for the most part but seasonal content is great as its something different from the usual 3 or 4 cycled daily quests... 

Also if you had ever really played arena nets seasonal content you would know that its more then just the dailies, there are seasonal dungeon / boss fights, a seasonal pvp zone / event, and great decorations and festivities, as well as unique costume peices that at times can work amazingly  outside the season with different looks... 

#5 Aethrysa

Aethrysa
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'd also like to see some fun seasonal content a la WoW/GW2 at some point. I was actually thinking about that just the other day.

Holly ♥ 50 Warrior ♥ Avatus ♥ Dominion

#6 Chuaurin

Chuaurin
  • Members
  • LocationBehind that tree!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Just the words "Protostar Gala Winterfest Extravaganza" makes me smile. I love seasonal events, especially if they give me a fun costume. But, more so if there are a lot of silly and pointless activities.

I loved the decorations in FFXIV, but my favorite seasonal activity was the summer event in FFXI where you could fish for goldfish. I don't know why. I can still hear the music playing broken only by the boom of fireworks in the background....
"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Firefighter Wardell

Xila: Aurin Stalker/Explorer Yola: Aurin Esper/Scientist Reezza: Chua Engineer/Scientist Dott: Chua Medic/Explorer ~Evindra~

#7 Talynia

Talynia
  • Members
  • LocationIn yo' kitchen stealing yo' cookies and bacon!

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Considering how hilarious some of the quests are in Wildstar I can't wait to see how they incorporate some events into the Nexus Lore.

Cassian Esper Scientist

<WhT> is recruiting on Stormtalon 

"Note to all Hardcore, Softcore, Softserve, WhippyCream, and Casual Players. Stop trying to create distinctions for yourselves and enjoy the game." - Tankanidis

#8 PeppeLePeu

PeppeLePeu
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Considering how hilarious some of the quests are in Wildstar I can't wait to see how they incorporate some events into the Nexus Lore.

seriously. this game like gw2 can really just have fun with them since it doesnt need to keep itself serious

#9 Caydiem

Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hello!

I have the privilege of planning out seasonal events for WildStar. Lethality's links tell you a good bit of high concept of three of our holidays. We're definitely doing more than dailies, too (and yes, there are dailies) -- we want you to have some interesting things to do during the holidays! We're definitely keeping all of our systems in mind when making these events.

Curious, isn't it, that the shiphand team that brought you Space Madness and Gauntlet have been tasked with making holiday content...

:D

We're definitely trying to avoid the "slap a Santa hat on a guy, make some snow, spawn a tree, and call it good" level of holiday content creation. Each holiday we create in WildStar should feel very at home within our universe. We're not trying to shoehorn real-world holidays into our lore. Instead, our holidays take something that is very reminiscent of the holiday season in broad strokes and make the story and the details uniquely WildStar in nature. Shade's Eve is spooky and shares a general feel of scaring folks, but the reasons behind it are completely rooted in Cassus' history. Winter's holiday is indeed a time of rushed consumerism (much like our modern holiday season), but with an intensely Protostar flavor.

We hope that you like what we come up with and enjoy the holidays of Nexus when they arrive!

#10 Kyoskai

Kyoskai
  • Members
  • LocationOlympia, Washington

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hello!

I have the privilege of planning out seasonal events for WildStar. Lethality's links tell you a good bit of high concept of three of our holidays. We're definitely doing more than dailies, too (and yes, there are dailies) -- we want you to have some interesting things to do during the holidays! We're definitely keeping all of our systems in mind when making these events.

Curious, isn't it, that the shiphand team that brought you Space Madness and Gauntlet have been tasked with making holiday content...

:D

We're definitely trying to avoid the "slap a Santa hat on a guy, make some snow, spawn a tree, and call it good" level of holiday content creation. Each holiday we create in WildStar should feel very at home within our universe. We're not trying to shoehorn real-world holidays into our lore. Instead, our holidays take something that is very reminiscent of the holiday season in broad strokes and make the story and the details uniquely WildStar in nature. Shade's Eve is spooky and shares a general feel of scaring folks, but the reasons behind it are completely rooted in Cassus' history. Winter's holiday is indeed a time of rushed consumerism (much like our modern holiday season), but with an intensely Protostar flavor.

We hope that you like what we come up with and enjoy the holidays of Nexus when they arrive!

Gimme. o3o

#11 Lethality

Lethality
  • Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yay Cayidem! :)

FYI, I would literally throw money at my screen to obtain full-on holiday house kits… from Christmas lights to Jack-O-Lanterns and everything in between! If those things are integrated into crafting, reputation, and even world and boss drops… woot!

#12 BlueDragon17

BlueDragon17
  • Members
  • LocationEarth - at least for now

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hello!

This is all well and good, and such, but I've searched for Lethality and his listed posts have nothing to do with holidays.   Could you perhaps be referring to some internal information that you've not yet released that you thought was?

HMMM  Never mind.  I see that Lethality has a post about this above mine in this topic.  Odd that it doesn't show up in search.

#13 Lethality

Lethality
  • Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

This is all well and good, and such, but I've searched for Lethality and his listed posts have nothing to do with holidays.   Could you perhaps be referring to some internal information that you've not yet released that you thought was?

It's just me :) Scroll up a few posts on this page, and you'll see 3 links to the currently known holidays!

#14 jingerninja

jingerninja
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Winter's holiday is indeed a time of rushed consumerism (much like our modern holiday season), but with an intensely Protostar flavor.

I think my love of all things Protostar in this game (like the Cubig farm in Auroria) is equaled only by my love of the Caretaker's comments when I use the Transmat Terminals.

Nanovirus | Mechari Medic -- Bloodsworn

#15 Shah Soulstar

Shah Soulstar
  • Guests
  • LocationClose to one year, waiting for updates

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

I can almost guarantee Christmas and Halloween decorations for homes. 

"The true war is not Dominion vs Exiles, but Space Hamsters vs Space Bunnies. The other races just support one of the causes." - Tetch

#16 Caydiem

Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

I will say that we're trying to avoid a lot of the overt iconography from the holidays. Gourds? Sure. Carved gourds with lights in them? Maybe not. Something for people to gather around and decorate in their homes? Sure. A tree you hang ornaments on? Might dodge that one.

Rest assured we'll make things feel very festive, using similar palettes and the like, but we want to make sure we're making a holiday that's very fitting within the world we've built, rather than trying to explain why a Protostar clone is wearing a fur-lined red hat.

#17 jingerninja

jingerninja
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm pretty sure with a Christmas-esque amount of commercial consumerism on the line Protostar would just find a way to beam advertisements for Must-Have Winterfest purchases directly into your brain.

"The Protostar blankity blank. You could not buy it, but your whole family...would hate you." *Protostar theme music*

Nanovirus | Mechari Medic -- Bloodsworn

#18 ScowlingCassian

ScowlingCassian
  • Guests
  • LocationUSA: MN

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I am REALLY excited to see holidays in WildStar, especially those related to the world. Like Foundation Day or Starfall, or even Shade's Eve. I'm glad to hear there will be more than just some dailies (though they are fun too, they just aren't that immersive) as it would be excited to feel like they are a part of the world around you, that your character is "experiencing" these Holidays as they come up.

Would especially love to see Holiday themed mounts and costumes!

#19 Ramei

Ramei
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hey, OP could you convince those repsonable for SWTOR to add reasl seasonal content? One thing that disappointed me about that game.  First year all "Life Day" had was limited time items in the cash shop. Second year they added throwing snowballs at other players (not in a kill the other player PVP sense) which would randomly result in a drop you could eventually use to purcahsed a "sled" speedster. It was funny for awhile to see guildies throwing snowballs at each other and at the boss monsters in 8-16 players OPs, but only the first time.

Original Guild Wars had more holiday stuff than GW2, though most of it was just special drops. Canthan New Year (Chinese New Year), Anniversary (April 22nd) , Dragon Festtival (June) Halloween, Wintersday (Christmas/New Year) were the big events. With special drops on Lucky Treats Week (St Patricks Day),  Sweet Treats Week (Easter), Pirate Week (Talk Like A Pirate Day), Breast Cancer Awarness Month (pink dye), Special Treats Week (American Thanksgiving). And of course there was Wintersday in July. April Fools they used to do silly things to player characters but they stopped doing that (as well as new masks on other holidays) when they started workiing on GW2.  Poor GW1, I've even stopped dropping in for Holidays since they don't update them each year anymore.

(Forum photo: Her name is Dotty, She helps me play games by walking past the monitor just as I'm in a boss fight :lol: )

#20 NovaBlair

NovaBlair
  • Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Ohhh... I like the idea of seasonal decorations for housing. It's such an obvious thing but it's been so long since I've played an MMO with proper housing it hadn't occurred to me. And better yet the home owners association won't fine you if you leave them up year round :P