Photo

Why do i have to REINSTALL the client after moving it to another drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sindariel

Sindariel
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

Usually, in other MMOs, you can freely move the game client between drives and folders without having to reinstall it. Just copy & paste -> start from new location -> done. But not in Wildstar, it seems.

Last week, i decided to move Wildstar from my HDD to the system drive on my SSD for a better game performance. Everything worked fine and the client was starting from its new location without problems and the performance increase was amazing.

But when i downloaded the new patch yesterday, i wondered myself why the launcher was accessing my HDD the whole time.

After checking out the folders, i had to find out that the launcher actually wasn't updating the client on my SSD. Instead, it was updating the client on it's old location on my HDD (Yes, i made sure i was starting the launcher from it's new location. I double-checked that).

In the next step, i renamed the old game folder on my HDD and started the launcher from my SSD again and... the launcher started to redownload and reinstall the whole game client in its old location again.

<_<

So, i went to the "Programs & Features" tab in windows, uninstalled Wildstar and tried to reinstall the client from my SSD.

However, i couldn't proceed with the installation because i had "insufficient disk space" and the button was greyed out (Even though, the client data files were already in place. But the launcher obviously doesn't care about this at this point).

In the end, i had to delete the client from my SSD to make room for the installation routine and then copy the client back to the SSD again.

All this hassle just because the launcher doesn't auto-update its own location like it's common in other MMOs.

This is TOTALLY inconvenient and i hope this will be adressed in the future.

#2 Vestinious

Vestinious
  • Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

I would think in the future (that is launch) the launcher will allow for changes to the place the files are moved to.

Looking at the files I beleive the problem is that the major file is in the patch folder (that is the huge 16gb one) and as its a locked .archive folder and so cant to edited its retains its orginal install location.

My guess is if it was possible to edit the files in the patch folder you could change it to allow for movement but as it is its locked up.

#3 slayerboy

slayerboy
  • Members
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

It's because it's tied into the Windows registry (don't get me started...).

1. rename that folder you moved

2. re-run the launcher

3. pause the launcher and exit

4. copy contents of renamed folder to the new folder the launcher just created

5. re-run launcher

Your results may vary, but I've seen that this works for moving to different computers.

Steam / Reddit / Goodreads : slayerboy | Twitter / Spotify : slayrboy | Last.FM : slayerboy12577

Proud to be a member of the Unrepentant Gaming community since 2011!

#4 Mogwai

Mogwai
  • Guests
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

Why is Wildstar messing with my Windows registry? They should do it like WoW - you have a directory and there are all files the game has. Not a single one outside. So you can move the game anywhere you like and start it. I thought Carbine has ex-Blizzard guys. Did you forget about how you do it right?

What chua gonna do when they come for you?

#5 Turbutton

Turbutton
  • Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

I just tried that literally a million times....also there is no pause

#6 iainb

iainb
  • Members
  • LocationNoVA

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

I copied my Wildstar installation folder to an external drive and attached it to an entirely different computer. The launcher fired right up and I was playing within minutes.

The second computer is on a horribly slow wifi connection, so it didn't download much of anything and certainly did not download the entire game again. That would have taken hours and hours.

Kissan

Warrior | Scientist | Exile | Avantus

#7 Lloyd Shade

Lloyd Shade
  • Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

WildStar creates a registry folder with uninstall instructions to your computer and use this information as the game installation path. It's bad programming, but it's not the end of the world to change:

***If you are unfamiliar with Windows Registry, you may try the following approach:

1. Copy (not cut) the WildStar folder to the new hard drive location.

2. Rename the newly created WildStar folder (for instance, "WildStar2").

3. Go to Control Panel, then open Programs and features.

4. Find WildStar and select uninstall.

5. Rerun WildStar installer to redownload the game and select the new hard drive location for the installation.

6. Wait a few seconds to let the download start and then close the installer.

7. Go to the new hard drive location. You should now see a WildStar folder and your renamed WildStar folder (WildStar2 from the example above).

8. Delete the WildStar folder.

9. Rename your renamed WildStar folder to "WildStar".

10. Open WildStar's patcher. Your game should be fully patched.

***If you are familiar with Windows Registry:

To change WildStar to another hard drive, you need to change two Windows registry keys:

1. Copy WildStar folder to the new location and take note of the new path.

2. Open "regedit" in administrator mode.

3. Go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WildStar]

4. Change the begining information (example C:\Program Files (x86)), to the new hard drive information of the two following items: "DisplayIcon" & "UninstallString"

I suggest you back up your WildStar registry folder before doing any modification so you can roll back if you scew up.

I personally used both methods successfully on Windows 7 and 8.

-Lloyd Shade

#8 Gnutron

Gnutron
  • Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Lloyd Shade, that info saved me from downloading the entire client again for my wife's machine. Worked perfectly on Windows 7.