Further information, to chew on (and if this is not working as described, please let me know so we can look into it):
The relationship between PvP Offense and PvP Defense is multiplicative, such that:
PvPNetMitigation = PvPDefensePercent * (1 - PvPOffensePercent)
(value clamped between 0 and 1)
This PvP Mitigation works cooperatively with armor value to decrease total incoming damage. This interaction is also multiplicative. Such that:
NetDamage = IncomingDamage * (1-MitigationPercent) * (1-PvPNetMitigation)
Where MitigationPercent would be the percent of damage mitigated by target armor/resists.
The problem comes in where you only wear 3 pieces to get 63% PvP Offense and Defense, and then the rest you can put in PvE pieces. Having a 63% soft cap is cool and all, but don't make it so that way it takes 3 pieces of PvP gear to get to that cap. At this point it's going to be about putting in 3 pieces to hit soft cap, then wearing Raid gear in every other slot with ridiculous imbuement procs, ridiculously powerful stat increases, and the extra armor to counter mitigation lost from a lack of PvP defense.
Also, PvP offense does nothing after I get a higher number than their PvP defense. So if an Esper decided to rock 60% PvP Defense wearing 3 pieces of PvP gear, and I rocked 76% PvP Offense wearing full PvP gear, I wouldn't do any extra damage to them, which means there is absolutely zero incentive for a healer to wear ANY PvP defense whatsoever.
Bardic, think about this. Since PvP Offense does not grant extra damage, and is only there to negate extra mitigation on PvP Defense, and every class/spec in full PvP gear would/should have the SAME amount of PvP O/D as each other, then what is the point for a healer to wear PvP Defense in the first place?
1. PvP Offense is useless for PURE healers
2. PvP Defense provides extra mitigation if the person attacking them has less PvP Offense as they have PvP Defense. (Increased Imbuements, HP, and Armor mitigation on Legendary/Artifact Armor negates this difference.)
3. In full PvP gear in a perfect world, everyone has pretty much the same Offense and Defense. (A DPS taking 3% PvP Offense, and a Healer taking 3% PvP defense amps + the same tier of PvP gear.)
4. If a healer decided to wear ZERO PvP gear, against a player in FULL PvP gear they would take the same or less amount of damage than if they were wearing FULL PvP gear as well.
5. All a DPS needs to do is have enough PvP runes and/or 2-3 pieces of PvP gear to easily achieve soft cap. Then put Legendary/Artifact gear with vastly superior stats, imbuements, and runeslots to make up for the 13% PvP Offense loss. (I'm sure you're very aware of some of the ridiculous imbuements that are in the game on Legendary/Artifact armor.) Also, if the target they are on is a healer with zero PvP defense, then they actually don't take a loss while gaining all the benefits.
6. This patch actually prioritized PvE gear over PvP more so than it was in the previous patches.