Draken Deities

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kholrabi

Kholrabi
  • Members
  • LocationRooted

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

In the Dominion tutorial area, a priest mentions that the Draken have their own gods, but I have yet to stumble upon much lore about them. Does anyone (perhaps someone fromt he winter beta who has made it a bit farther) know where to find details on the Draken religion?

#2 Spider Bro Jenkins

Spider Bro Jenkins
  • Members
  • LocationIn Zexel's cold embrace.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

BAM! http://www.wildstar-...ore-compilation

You can also hear about it from NPCs in Deradune especially. But if any Draken NPC in any zone has dialogue, you might be able to hear them mentioning something about it.

• Aera likes this

This week's Convergence is 4 Hammers.  :P

#3 Kholrabi

Kholrabi
  • Members
  • LocationRooted

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Thanks! I have played through Deradune, but I was rushing to finish the zone before the beta weekend ended and didn't get to read all of the NPC dialogue and lore as thoroughly as I would have liked.

• Spider Bro Jenkins likes this

#4 Spider Bro Jenkins

Spider Bro Jenkins
  • Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Thanks! I have played through Deradune, but I was rushing to finish the zone before the beta weekend ended and didn't get to read all of the NPC dialogue and lore as thoroughly as I would have liked.

No problem. I usually alternate between actually playing the game and reading all the lore.

#5 Sonntam

Sonntam
  • Members
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Still, it's awfully unsatisfactionary. 

Hell, we do not even know if the Old Gods have gender. We also keep hearing only about two of them: Ravok and Shezka. 

I am really surprised there are no easily available journal entries on the Old Gods. Especially as a roleplayer I feel quite lost in the religious aspect of Draken society.

#6 Arachnaas

Arachnaas
  • Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

That was a really nice rundown to fill in some of the lore blanks I had from leveling in deradune. I did not realize that the cassians had given the Draken so much autonomy, and the idea that they can be a part of Empire politics is very refreshing. 

I will hold my head a little higher from now on. 

#7 Spider Bro Jenkins

Spider Bro Jenkins
  • Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Still, it's awfully unsatisfactionary. 

Hell, we do not even know if the Old Gods have gender. We also keep hearing only about two of them: Ravok and Shezka. 

I am really surprised there are no easily available journal entries on the Old Gods. Especially as a roleplayer I feel quite lost in the religious aspect of Draken society.

Shezka is female and Ravok might be male. I remember hearing about at least one more god (might even be more!) Aside from that, they also practice ancestor worship which I find really interesting. A quest line in Celestion also leads me to believe they also respect their elders. Some Draken also take part in Cassian religion as well. This is all I know off the top of my head. 

That was a really nice rundown to fill in some of the lore blanks I had from leveling in deradune. I did not realize that the cassians had given the Draken so much autonomy, and the idea that they can be a part of Empire politics is very refreshing. 

I will hold my head a little higher from now on. 

I think any race that becomes full citizens of the Dominion enjoy a lot of freedom. The Chua also have freedom of religion and could probably also be a part of Empire politics as well. I would like to note that I get the feeling not all races can become full citizens. Can't remember if I got this from lore or whether it was a few choice NPC conversations.

#8 CRB_HernCo

CRB_HernCo
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

While the Draken are technically loyal citizens of the Dominion, it should be noted that they consider themselves culturally sworn to serve the emperor (whomever that may be) rather than the Dominion itself. This is because of the way they were brought into the empire - Azrion the Conqueror (son of Dominus) beat their greatest warrior - High Clanlord Zhur - in single combat.

Pending the development of a Galactic Archive for this (at the moment there are other things more current to the story that are higher priority) here are the five Old Gods of the Blood Covenants for your enjoyment:

-Shezka, goddess of strength. Her symbols include bones, skulls, and swords.

-Ravok, god courage. His symbols include a fang or a fist.

-Hazak, god of loyalty. Symbols include blood drop or Draken horns. 
-Fazaar is the god of spirit. His symbols include an open flame or the blazing red sun of Mikros.

-Werza is the goddess of wisdom. Her symbols include a serpent and a raptor (as in "bird of prey," not as in Jurassic Park).

If you're into roleplaying, some common oaths related to these gods include:

·         Moons of Mikros!

·         Hazak's Blood!

·         Horns of Hazak!

·         Ravok's Rage!

·         By the flames of Fazaar!

·         Shezka's blade!

·         By furious Ravok!

·         Serpents of Werza!

And yes, Draken oaths are totally influenced by the oaths popular with a particularly Strange doctor we like.

One last note: there's a dark side to Draken cosmology and religion (maybe a *darker* side) which will hopefully appear in the game at some point in the future. But that's all I'm sayin' about that.

#9 Ivorath

Ivorath
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

~snip~

Thanks so much, HernCo, this helps out a lot of us roleplayers.

I can't wait to see this darker side. :D

#10 Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher
  • Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Times like these I wish we could give a "like" to Carbine Staff.  Thank you very much for that interesting bit of info, HernCo, and am very glad we are getting official confirmation and information on these topics.

• Roda likes this

#11 Seztren

Seztren
  • Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hern, thanks so much for all the Lore drops. I'm still hoping for some neat snippets about Mechari culture and how the Vigilant Church service runs. ;P

Vermana - Dominion - Mechari Female Engineer - Entity (Not by choice.) - KotK Officer - For Science Member - 6/6  || 15/15  ||  7/7 (Pre-Matrix <3)

#12 ruff1298

ruff1298
  • Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Epic Lore Drop

YES! Thank you.

#13 CRB_HernCo

CRB_HernCo
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Happy to be of service!

Any particular questions about the Mechari or the Vigilant Church?

#14 Shutty

Shutty
  • Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

While the Draken are technically loyal citizens of the Dominion, it should be noted that they consider themselves culturally sworn to serve the emperor (whomever that may be) rather than the Dominion itself. This is because of the way they were brought into the empire - Azrion the Conqueror (son of Dominus) beat their greatest warrior - High Clanlord Zhur - in single combat.

Pending the development of a Galactic Archive for this (at the moment there are other things more current to the story that are higher priority) here are the five Old Gods of the Blood Covenants for your enjoyment:

-Shezka, goddess of strength. Her symbols include bones, skulls, and swords.

-Ravok, god courage. His symbols include a fang or a fist.

-Hazak, god of loyalty. Symbols include blood drop or Draken horns. 
-Fazaar is the god of spirit. His symbols include an open flame or the blazing red sun of Mikros.

-Werza is the goddess of wisdom. Her symbols include a serpent and a raptor (as in "bird of prey," not as in Jurassic Park).

If you're into roleplaying, some common oaths related to these gods include:

·         Moons of Mikros!

·         Hazak's Blood!

·         Horns of Hazak!

·         Ravok's Rage!

·         By the flames of Fazaar!

·         Shezka's blade!

·         By furious Ravok!

·         Serpents of Werza!

And yes, Draken oaths are totally influenced by the oaths popular with a particularly Strange doctor we like.

One last note: there's a dark side to Draken cosmology and religion (maybe a *darker* side) which will hopefully appear in the game at some point in the future. But that's all I'm sayin' about that.

As a huge comic book fan, THIS is why I love WildStar!!!!

#15 Sonntam

Sonntam
  • Members
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Thank you a lot!!! I really can't express how grateful and happy I am about this lore post.

This is exactly the kind of information I needed for launch as a Draken roleplayer! Thank you again.  :wub:

#16 ThatDreadieDude

ThatDreadieDude
  • Members
  • LocationDatascape

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

This is really interesting :] I really hope that the Draken get a really good lore story, as foreshadowing a "Darker" group of Draken will try to summon their old gods and we probably have to go kill it :P

#17 Neurophenomenology

Neurophenomenology
  • Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

Happy to be of service!

I have a question about the Vigilant Church theme song... Was that created by Jeff Kurtenacker or is it from somewhere else?

Link for the track here : https://www.youtube....d&v=nAJkrdEAvLI

p.s. I know it has nothing to do with this thread... But I would really like to know! Because this is the most profound song in the whole game!!!

#18 Sonntam

Sonntam
  • Members
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Happy to be of service!

Yes! Mechari do not need to eat to replenish energy. Do they need to take in any energy sources like electricity, Primal Life/Logic or anything of the sorts? Or are they just eternally powered up and need neither rest nor nourishment?

Also, would it be against the law not to support the Vigilant Church and publicly renounce your faith as a Cassian?

#19 CRB_HernCo

CRB_HernCo
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Neuro - can I call you Neuro? - that music is by Mr. Jeff Kurtenacker, who is one of the best and nicest and most generous people I know *and* insanely talented besides. Check out his Soundcloud page if you don't believe me. He also did music for my previous game, Pirates of the Burning Sea. https://soundcloud.com/inhisgroove

I'll need to dig deeper into some lore docs which aren't where I am at the moment to answer the other questions definitively, but *tentatively*:

Sonntam, the Mechari do take in energy sources like any other form of life - they just happen to be artificial and mechanical. I can't remember off the top of my head if we'd settled on that being raw energy, ordinary food (Mr. Data can eat, remember, although he doesn't necessarily draw the same nutrients as humans) or some sort of Robocop baby food kind of thing... probably not the baby food, actually. 

For Cassians, supporting the Vigilant Church is pretty much assumed, though there's not necessarily an attendance officer ensuring you're at service every week or day or what have you. Publicly denouncing your faith in front of church leaders or important nobles of the Cassian or Luminai variety would probably not be a good idea. There's more leeway for the other Dominion races, but publicly defaming (rather than just renouncing) the church would certainly be a bad idea for any citizen. And preaching anything contrary to the basic tenet of Vigilant faith - that the Eldan ascended to godhood - would also be frowned upon and be grounds for arrest.

#20 Xostro

Xostro
  • Members
  • LocationLincoln Nebraska

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Neuro - can I call you Neuro? - that music is by Mr. Jeff Kurtenacker, who is one of the best and nicest and most generous people I know *and* insanely talented besides. Check out his Soundcloud page if you don't believe me. He also did music for my previous game, Pirates of the Burning Sea. https://soundcloud.com/inhisgroove

I'll need to dig deeper into some lore docs which aren't where I am at the moment to answer the other questions definitively, but *tentatively*:

Sonntam, the Mechari do take in energy sources like any other form of life - they just happen to be artificial and mechanical. I can't remember off the top of my head if we'd settled on that being raw energy, ordinary food (Mr. Data can eat, remember, although he doesn't necessarily draw the same nutrients as humans) or some sort of Robocop baby food kind of thing... probably not the baby food, actually. 

For Cassians, supporting the Vigilant Church is pretty much assumed, though there's not necessarily an attendance officer ensuring you're at service every week or day or what have you. Publicly denouncing your faith in front of church leaders or important nobles of the Cassian or Luminai variety would probably not be a good idea. There's more leeway for the other Dominion races, but publicly defaming (rather than just renouncing) the church would certainly be a bad idea for any citizen. And preaching anything contrary to the basic tenet of Vigilant faith - that the Eldan ascended to godhood - would also be frowned upon and be grounds for arrest.

Can you clear up the Dominion isn't evil concept? I've known they've done some things but they aren't evil and have very virtuous tenets. And the Exiles have done some pretty monstrous stuff as well.

The whole who's good and evil thing can really matter when people select a faction and lead to faction imbalance and I would love and very much appreciate a response to this.