medic raid role job

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Killgore

Killgore
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Based on current Elder game raid play, what is the Medic's role in raids right now?  Are they stuck as a full-time tank/melee healer due to their short range? Can they be a straight up DPS? Can they be hybrid DPS/healers/support, using abilities like Dual-Shock and Shield Surge to do all roles simultaneously as a jack-of-all-trades?

Obviously on paper, Medics could do all of these things, but I'm asking given the current power levels and skill-sets other classes bring to a raid environment, what does a Medic do to justify a spot in a 20/40-man raid?

#2 dmg885

dmg885
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Ive not done end game raiding. However i see alot of these kind of questions floating around. This is not wow people the same rules do not apply. This game is designed to allow a class to be either of its designed roles. Im not sure if hybrids would work although i could see that you might have 1 or 2 of the abilitys on your bar be for the opposite role.

#3 Killgore

Killgore
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Ive not done end game raiding. However i see alot of these kind of questions floating around. This is not wow people the same rules do not apply. This game is designed to allow a class to be either of its designed roles. Im not sure if hybrids would work although i could see that you might have 1 or 2 of the abilitys on your bar be for the opposite role.

If you've not done end game raiding, why are you posting at all?  An uneducated opinion is the definition of useless.

• Polycasta likes this

#4 dmg885

dmg885
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Because you asking for the answer to a question that even a small amount of reading and or playing in the beta would show you doesnt make sense. The mobility part of this game makes it very different from wow. Which is clearly where you mind set and question came from. Since this game takes a very different play style and skill set you cant compare the two. Simply put you could be any class and earn a raid spot. Its more a question of learning to play said class well. Every class here can be played well enough to be included in a raid. Although in thinking about it id still guess that like everyother game out there good tanks and healers are always in need.

#5 Brackets

Brackets
  • Members
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Ive not done end game raiding. However i see alot of these kind of questions floating around. This is not wow people the same rules do not apply. This game is designed to allow a class to be either of its designed roles. 

I don't think you've played WoW much in the last 6 years, because all classes can do just fine performing ANY of their roles.

Hit the ALL button

http://www.twitch.tv/brackets300

#6 IIIII

IIIII
  • Guests
  • LocationBannedia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hybrid Medics suck tbh you're better off going one way or the other. Medics have been pushing charts lately but they just received monumental nerfs alongside some other classes. It remains to be seen how well they will perform in raiding now but I don't think it'll be very good from the DPS side of things.

#7 Avishai

Avishai
  • Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

And on top of that, if medic will start to suck after patch, I hope and have faith that devs will rebalance stuff again. And again. And then again if needed. The only thing I hope for is that it will be relatively quick process. 

#8 Zyro

Zyro
  • Guests
  • LocationI come from a land down under.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

To my knowledge (I play a level 20 medic, but my brother has a level 50 one), Medics have good use of dots and sustained damage (the medic's potential burst is underwhelming in comparison to say, a stalker), which means dps is viable with the use of skills like discharge and nullifier.
I haven't seen him play as a healer, but he says that medic's also have great sustainability with healing as well. I would imagine due to the girth of some of the abilities, they would be valued healers in 40 man raids, because it would be easier to reach many people in one skill.

"BIG HAIR"
"Patrick, I think you mean air"
"Oh"

#9 Waveforce

Waveforce
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

If you've not done end game raiding, why are you posting at all?  An uneducated opinion is the definition of useless.

Look at this lunatic jumping down the throat of someone trying to help them. Reality is not many people HAVE done end game raiding and launch is still 2 months away so whatever answer you were to get now will almost surely change by then. I think this was an uneducated post.

#10 ace80k

ace80k
  • Members
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Look at this lunatic jumping down the throat of someone trying to help them. Reality is not many people HAVE done end game raiding and launch is still 2 months away so whatever answer you were to get now will almost surely change by then. I think this was an uneducated post.

Actually, I think the OP brings up a very valid point. Considering the medic's short telegraph range, you have to wonder how viable the class will be, especially in close range AoE intensive fights. Saying every class/role will be able to perform equally well is 100% an uneducated answer if you ask me. Good raiding guilds are all about min/maxing (extra emphasis on GOOD). Competitive raiding guilds will only bring classes that are the best at what they do. Traditionally, guilds bring classes with builds that are best suited for whatever encounter they're about to face. If the challenge isn't too terribly difficult, then yes, any class/role combination (within limits) will most likely do ok. But in order to be successful, sacrifices have to be made. Classes and particular builds will be analyzed and chosen based on their merit. So, saying every class/role combination will do equally well in a raid environment is an "uneducated" statement. I guess if you're in a more casual guild where "fun" and freedom of choice is a concern, then that generic response could be ok.

#11 Caduce

Caduce
  • Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Actually, I think the OP brings up a very valid point. Considering the medic's short telegraph range, you have to wonder how viable the class will be, especially in close range AoE intensive fights. Saying every class/role will be able to perform equally well is 100% an uneducated answer if you ask me. Good raiding guilds are all about min/maxing (extra emphasis on GOOD). Competitive raiding guilds will only bring classes that are the best at what they do. Traditionally, guilds bring classes with builds that are best suited for whatever encounter they're about to face. If the challenge isn't too terribly difficult, then yes, any class/role combination (within limits) will most likely do ok. But in order to be successful, sacrifices have to be made. Classes and particular builds will be analyzed and chosen based on their merit. So, saying every class/role combination will do equally well in a raid environment is an "uneducated" statement. I guess if you're in a more casual guild where "fun" and freedom of choice is a concern, then that generic response could be ok.

I think the OP does as well, but I think Waveforce brings up a good point as well.  The OP is asking a question that not even the devs can answer since the devs don't know what the state of the Medic class will be at launch, since they're still in the balance stage, and when one person answers there was no reason for the snarky trollish reply he gave.

If he only wanted educated people's answers, a) he should have mentioned that since many will assume this is just theorycraft (since that's exactly what it is) and B) he should have simply just been nicer about his answer

• Waveforce, Yazra, Zyro and 1 other like this

#12 Sheikaih

Sheikaih
  • Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Extricate people during intense telegraph dodging sequences.

#13 Humak

Humak
  • Members
  • LocationManhattan, KS

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Let me try to get this topic back on track with a perspective from someone that has raided extensively in GA on a medic healer.  I've been raiding GA since shortly after the level cap was raised.  I have healed everything from X-89(1st/2nd boss) through Phageborn Convergence(5th boss).  Filling just about every role along the way.

Shield Healing

Medics bring something unique to the raid, shield healing.  This alone will keep them as a most have for certain fights, (large hits that requiring people to be topped off).  In addition to the ability to heal shields with shield surge T4 the medic gives the players healed by shield surge a 12.5 % incoming damage reduction buff for 16 seconds (25% reduction to shield damage which takes 50% of the damage to the player).  Shield healing offers some interesting and unique challenges, healing the shields of an individual that is going to regen them naturally is a waste of cores and focus, this might take some time for some medics to master.

Single Target Healing (tank healing)

Medic’s ability to heal shields comes at a price, their ability to heal HP on a single target is the worst of the healers.  

Although on all non-engineer tanks this can easily be made up for by using shield surge with the reboot amp when the tanks shields are depleted. 

Medics, tank healing do hold a distinct advantage over other healers when it comes to fights with high raid damage taken though.  As all of the medic's tank heals also heal themselves, or at least my tank healing LAS does (t8 emission, t3 dual shock, t7 flash, t4 shield surge).  For fights like Phage Maw this is quite helpful.

Raid healing

Medics have the ability to be amazing raid healers.  With t4 Flash and t8 mending probes their burst healing potential when the raid / party is clumped is the highest possible.  Combine that with shield surge and hypercharge amp for shield healing and a medic can easily compete with any other healer for best raid healer. 

The medic though lacks smart heals, this might be by intent as the medic is an in your face healer that should be able to aim their heals better than some Esper 40m away, but the medic currently has 0 heals that target "injured allies" so it can be all too common for a full health party-member to receive a heal over an injured one.

Raid Buffs

Prior to the last patch this was the one area that medics stood vastly ahead of the rest of the healers.  I'd still say they provide the best buffs but we've been nerfed a bit.  I run the empowering aura amp on my medic simply because the radius is small ~12m and raids often get spread out so the more crit you can have spread around the better.  I also generally run Empowering probes t4 and prot probes t1.  Even with the nerfs from the last patch the medic still brings the best dps buffs to the raid.

Telegraph Range

It's small, medics have the shortest range for their heals, but we get medium armor and this allows us to take a little more damage and be a little closer to the action. 

If you raid heal as a medic sometimes you end up running after players in an attempt to heal them.  While painfully annoying this can be solved by moving to clumped up raid dps groups whenever possible.  Clumping of the raid is something that is going to be a must whenever possible in 20/40 man as it keeps all healers more efficient.  While Espers and Spell Slingers might have longer ranged heals, their telegraphs are still fairly narrow so if the raid is spread out they may only hit 2/3 players with a skill from far away.

Gearing

Gearing in general for healers is pretty boring.  Stack insight over pretty much everything and add a little crit for fun.  My medic has ~1600+ insight and ~2550+ support power.

Focus regen is completely handled by getting 12/12 focus regen set (or 4/12 focus and 12+/20 life giver)

In Conclusion

I’m looking forward to playing a medic healer come release, they are fairly capable to step into any role.  They offer a unique ability in shield healing, and a unique healer play style in ‘melee ranged healing’, all while bringing potent buffs to the raid.  So what more could you ask for?

Other Items

As for DPS medics place in raids I'll have BonquiquiMD write something about that after this weekends raid and we see where medic DPS is currently at.

Enigma will be raiding this beta weekend from 8-12am EST Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  

Feel free to watch our streams if you are interested in seeing medics in raid, Shunn (Warrior-DPS), Carth(Esper-DPS), Humak(Medic-Healer)

Want actual numbers?  Logs for our runs can be found @ http://www.wildstarlogs.com/guilds/9

• ObviouslyLost, Reflective, Zyro and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medic, raid, role, job