Elder Gems - What's coming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
282 replies to this topic

#1 DapperDonatelli

DapperDonatelli
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hey everyone, 

First, an apology that it took so long to get a reply out. The honest truth is that we've been hard at work on the latest patch, and wanted to make sure it was all set before we started talking about upcoming changes.

That being said, the Elder Gem system you are seeing in-game today is only half of the intended final system. Elder Gem vendor purchases related to the power of your character were always supposed to be the secondary place to buy various gear/drops/items, with the primary method being through game content. The Elder Gem Vendor is in essence a "backup", a place to buy things should the RNG gods not favor you after weeks of trying to get a certain item off a boss or a quest.

Unfortunately, the full system is not going to make it into the game before launch, but we're aiming to include it in the first major drop post-launch. We usually try to hold back from discussing future content, because it changes so rapidly during development, but I'm going to break some rules here and offer up a rare glimpse of our post launch plans to calm fears that the Elder Gem vendor will be the only way to earn various post-level cap rewards. A serious disclaimer, though: The following systems will not make it into the game at launch, but we're aiming to include it in the first major patch after launch. The additions are all subject-to-change during development and may not go live exactly as described below.

The intended system as follows:

• The weekly Elder Gem limit you see today is specifically intended for Elder Gems that are earned though Elder Points.
    • For those unaware, all XP at level 50 is converted to "Elder Points", which can be earned through any piece of content that would normally provide XP at level 50. Filling your Elder Points bar will grant you an Elder Gem, up to a certain weekly limit. Once you reach that cap your XP is turned into money.
  • Post-launch, we will be introducing various methods to earn Elder Gems beyond the weekly cap. This will include a variety of Weekly Quest options (letting you choose which type of content you wish to play in return for Elder Gems), Daily Quests, Boom Boxes and more.
  • Additional Amp points and Ability Tier points will be earned through drops found throughout the game, with the Elder Gem vendor only being used as a "fallback" should your luck fail you.
    • There is a clear upper limit to the amount of additional AMP/Ability Tier points you can earn at level 50 and is something we'll constantly revisit as new content gets released post-launch.
    • These new AMP and Ability Tier point consumable items will be sellable on the Auction House, allowing you to trade the points as needed with other players, unlike the items you buy from the Elder Gem vendor which are not tradeable.

Again, I don't want to dive too deeply into our post-launch plans, since we only have a limited amount of time left to focus on the launch game, but I did want to reassure everyone that there is a wider plan for how to earn elder game rewards that goes beyond saving up a year's worth of currencies. When we get close to the time where the above systems will be going into the game, we'll make sure to get them up on the public test realm so we can get your feedback before we push them live.

Thanks so much for your feedback and discussions about this understandably hot topic. Honestly, it's that kind of passion that gets us amped up to make Wildstar.

Mike Donatelli

Product Director

Carbine Studios - Wildstar

Mike Donatelli

Product Director

Carbine Studios

”A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

#2 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Members
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I was beginning to think we'd never get a response when that mega-thread was shut down. Thanks for taking the time!

Having the Elder Gem Vendor being a "fallback" option is great! I'm so glad that AMP and Ability points can and will be gained by other means, which is kind of what I thought would be a good idea. Making them consumable items that can be sold on the secondary market is an interesting idea. They'll likely be costly but it grants more access to casual players who build up the cash for them!

Also I had no idea Elder Points gained beyond the weekly limit converted to cash. Fun! :D

Mahanaxar the Mohawked Mordesh Medic

Officer of <Darkhand> (Pago-PvP) - http://www.the-darkhand.com

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#3 Ayestes

Ayestes
  • Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

This sounds great to me.  Sad it won't be in for launch, but I honestly think I can deal with it knowing it'll be there soon.  

Exile - Pago (PvP) - Fail Gaming | Ayestem - PvP DPS Melee Mage Esper

Ayestes - Spellslinger | Ayestet - Medic  |  Ayestee -  Engineer

#4 Freakiie

Freakiie
  • Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

What are boomboxes?

#5 Winfernal

Winfernal
  • Members
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

I knew it wasn't going to stay like this. I knew it, it was ridicilous to even think that it was their final plan. Thanks for for the post.

but I did want to reassure everyone that there is a wider plan for how to earn elder game rewards that goes beyond saving up a year's worth of currencies.

#6 Mamatereza

Mamatereza
  • Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

More Superb news from the Devs! Sounds like a great system indeed! I just cant wait for this!

Exile Esper @ Jabbit

#7 Sikare

Sikare
  • Guests
  • LocationEverywhere

POPULAR

This is good. That's all I wanted, for gems to be a "back up plan" for progression. Make sure the Amp/AP drop from pvp too, please!!!!
"Espers don't do damage, they make you THINK they do damage."<p>- A Genius

#8 Lethality

Lethality
  • Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Thanks for the update sir... as expected the fear-mongering in the other thread was unfounded.

Sad to hear it won't be in the game in time for launch, but that shouldn't affect a majority of players.

Godpseed to launch!

Unhappy with this post? Ignore me here.

#9 Nadili

Nadili
  • Guests

I knew it wasn't going to stay like this. I knew it, it was ridicilous to even think that it was their final plan. Thanks for for the post.

I don't think it was ever going to be 43 weeks it's just not launch ready so spilling the beans can make any development team shoot themselves in the foot by overpromising. 

<Conviction>

Lead-Nadili

http://www.congaming.com

#10 Sikare

Sikare
  • Guests
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

It wasn't fear mongering, it was a real concern for what information we had. Good changes though! I hope they drop a bit frequent so we don't end up having to just buy all of them.

#11 Regen

Regen
  • Guests
  • LocationGTA, Ontario

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Phew.

#12 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Members
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

What I'm most interested to find out is where and how these points will drop.

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#13 Valistaria

Valistaria
  • Members
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Good news, and thumbs up!

Vali - Ascendancy EU - 50 Medic - <Flatline>

Stream : http://twitch.tv/esbila Website : http://flatline-guild.eu

#14 Shoogli

Shoogli
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

[...] Additional Amp points and Ability Tier points will be earned through drops found throughout the game, with the Elder Gem vendor only being used as a "fallback" should your luck fail you. [...]

This is great news, thank you Mike, thanks a lot for not only taking the time to explain more on the system, but also unveiling a little bit of the future !

This is really exciting now, and knowing the vendor is a fall back method instead of the primary method sheds much more light into the why horizontal and vertical progression items were mixed there.

:lol:

#15 Madds

Madds
  • Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

What I'm most interested to find out is where and how these points will drop.

Seeing as this system will be implemented post launch I think we'll have to wait abit for a definitive answer on that :)

#16 Edell

Edell
  • Members
  • LocationParis

Good stuffs to look forward to !

(\_/)
|^o^|

----
--

#17 Xanna

Xanna
  • Members
  • LocationThe space between your ears

So basically, if I understand correctly, the amp points and ap points purchasable from the EG vendors are merely a backup way to acquire them? And if those consumables that grant said points can be found from boss/world drops? It also seems that you can buy, or acquire from a drop, and sell those consumables on the auction house?

This has been a hot topic lately and I, along with others, are thankful for the response and the insight into the system and potential plans for it in the future.

#18 Sikare

Sikare
  • Guests
  • LocationEverywhere

Yeah, me too. And drop rates. I hope this doesn't end up being a "drop 10000 platinum in the Auction house, or just use gems, still," because that'd be really boring and defeat the purpose of even addressing the issue. I get we want more CREDD sales, but please make it reasonable!

#19 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Members
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

This is great news, thank you Mike, thanks a lot for not only taking the time to explain more on the system, but also unveiling a little bit of the future !

This is really exciting now, and knowing the vendor is a fall back method instead of the primary method sheds much more light into the why horizontal and vertical progression items were mixed there.

:lol:

Yeah, now that he drew back the curtain a bit things make a lot more sense.

#20 Vicodium

Vicodium
  • Members
  • LocationCave of Monsters

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

So basically, if I understand correctly, the amp points and ap points purchasable from the EG vendors are merely a backup way to acquire them? And if those consumables that grant said points can be found from boss/world drops? It also seems that you can buy, or acquire from a drop, and sell those consumables on the auction house?

Pretty much, yeah. The EG vendor is basically a back-up in case you have terrible luck, or have extra gems to spend.

Broke - Female - Draken - Stalker - Tank - Explorer
Wakka Wakka.