First, an apology that it took so long to get a reply out. The honest truth is that we've been hard at work on the latest patch, and wanted to make sure it was all set before we started talking about upcoming changes.
That being said, the Elder Gem system you are seeing in-game today is only half of the intended final system. Elder Gem vendor purchases related to the power of your character were always supposed to be the secondary place to buy various gear/drops/items, with the primary method being through game content. The Elder Gem Vendor is in essence a "backup", a place to buy things should the RNG gods not favor you after weeks of trying to get a certain item off a boss or a quest.
Unfortunately, the full system is not going to make it into the game before launch, but we're aiming to include it in the first major drop post-launch. We usually try to hold back from discussing future content, because it changes so rapidly during development, but I'm going to break some rules here and offer up a rare glimpse of our post launch plans to calm fears that the Elder Gem vendor will be the only way to earn various post-level cap rewards. A serious disclaimer, though: The following systems will not make it into the game at launch, but we're aiming to include it in the first major patch after launch. The additions are all subject-to-change during development and may not go live exactly as described below.
The intended system as follows:
- The weekly Elder Gem limit you see today is specifically intended for Elder Gems that are earned though Elder Points.
- For those unaware, all XP at level 50 is converted to "Elder Points", which can be earned through any piece of content that would normally provide XP at level 50. Filling your Elder Points bar will grant you an Elder Gem, up to a certain weekly limit. Once you reach that cap your XP is turned into money.
- Post-launch, we will be introducing various methods to earn Elder Gems beyond the weekly cap. This will include a variety of Weekly Quest options (letting you choose which type of content you wish to play in return for Elder Gems), Daily Quests, Boom Boxes and more.
- Additional Amp points and Ability Tier points will be earned through drops found throughout the game, with the Elder Gem vendor only being used as a "fallback" should your luck fail you.
- There is a clear upper limit to the amount of additional AMP/Ability Tier points you can earn at level 50 and is something we'll constantly revisit as new content gets released post-launch.
- These new AMP and Ability Tier point consumable items will be sellable on the Auction House, allowing you to trade the points as needed with other players, unlike the items you buy from the Elder Gem vendor which are not tradeable.
Again, I don't want to dive too deeply into our post-launch plans, since we only have a limited amount of time left to focus on the launch game, but I did want to reassure everyone that there is a wider plan for how to earn elder game rewards that goes beyond saving up a year's worth of currencies. When we get close to the time where the above systems will be going into the game, we'll make sure to get them up on the public test realm so we can get your feedback before we push them live.
Thanks so much for your feedback and discussions about this understandably hot topic. Honestly, it's that kind of passion that gets us amped up to make Wildstar.
Carbine Studios - Wildstar