Photo

New Breakout Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 bisqquit

bisqquit
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Definitely a fan of removing the 'F' spam, was just annoyance more than anything.

However, as someone who doesn't bind forwards or backwards (I hold both mouse buttons to move forward and backpedal isn't in my repertoire) will I be punished a random 50% of the time with a full stun duration? Really hope this isn't the case. And please no suggestions of learning how to play WASD. It feels horrible to me and I'm sure many others use the double mouse button move plus countless others who remove backpedal as well.

#2 Kalmander

Kalmander
  • Guests
  • LocationCosta Rica, Central America.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

I like the change. Maybe they could change it to a random ability that you have to press? I have the same problem because I do not use turn "left" or "right" (unless strafe left, and strafe right also count as left and right). Good change nonetheless.

Stun Breakout Gameplay has been changed based on feedback. This change is intended to remove the button spamming, while also making keyboard macros less viable.

• Players no longer have to rapidly press the interact button to get out of Stuns.
  • Now a random movement button (Forward, Backward, Left or Right) is selected.
  • Holding down the corresponding button will allow you to get out of the stun faster.

#3 Xanna

Xanna
  • Members
  • LocationThe space between your ears

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

I am a huge fan of this change because I am not a huge fun of button mash. Some encounters I would die before I could even break out and I was mashing that f key with such vigor.

From what I read about how to break out it's going to be tied into one of your 4 directional buttons, WSAD in the general settings. These buttons are tied into your dash and can have their keybinds changed. So I would then assume that your button to break out would then be tied to the new keybind. If you changed the forward from W to X for example, you would hit x if the action required the forward button to break out. If that is going to be the case then for those who just use the mouse buttons to move do you have different buttons tied into dash besides the double tap of wsad? I don't know how you have it set up, but if you make use of the dash function then wouldn't those keybinds be used for the breakout gameplay as well?

This is all just my interpretation of their post. I could very well be wrong with my assumptions, but look forward to trying it all out next beta weekend :)

#4 FranBunnyFFXII

FranBunnyFFXII
  • Members
  • Location鎌倉市, 日本.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

I highly disagree but also kinda agree with this change. I liked the Tapping to break out of stuns, although the removal of macros is a plus.

"Rules only apply to those whom the authorities wish to apply them too. With enough influence and preference you can get away with anything, or nothing."
~Anonymous
Using a Razer Naga/Logitech G600/MMORPG mouse? Check out this Guide | Want to make your Right Mouse button a Toggle? Try this Addon.

#5 Winfernal

Winfernal
  • Members
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

I approve of this. The "F" button spam for breakout was just an annoyance.

• n0lij likes this

#6 Merriweather

Merriweather
  • Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

To me it sounds like you will be able to break out using your two mouse buttons...but why not bind forward movement to a side mouse button?  Makes things less carpal tunnely.

Mistletoe-esper healer-Pergo

#7 bisqquit

bisqquit
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

I am a huge fan of this change because I am not a huge fun of button mash. Some encounters I would die before I could even break out and I was mashing that f key with such vigor.

From what I read about how to break out it's going to be tied into one of your 4 directional buttons, WSAD in the general settings. These buttons are tied into your dash and can have their keybinds changed. So I would then assume that your button to break out would then be tied to the new keybind. If you changed the forward from W to X for example, you would hit x if the action required the forward button to break out. If that is going to be the case then for those who just use the mouse buttons to move do you have different buttons tied into dash besides the double tap of wsad? I don't know how you have it set up, but if you make use of the dash function then wouldn't those keybinds be used for the breakout gameplay as well?

This is all just my interpretation of their post. I could very well be wrong with my assumptions, but look forward to trying it all out next beta weekend :)

I use Q and E to strafe with W bound to dash. That way I can dash the way I'm moving or just press W to dodge backwards. I'm sure there is an easy solution to this but until I get into beta its a bit of a worry.

#8 Cedr

Cedr
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Patch Highlights

Stun Breakout Gameplay has been changed based on feedback. This change is intended to remove the button spamming, while also making keyboard macros less viable.

• Players no longer have to rapidly press the interact button to get out of Stuns.
  • Now a random movement button (Forward, Backward, Left or Right) is selected.
  • Holding down the corresponding button will allow you to get out of the stun faster.

I’m for removing the rapid tap, but I’m against the random movement button.

First, I’m a Mouse Driver; I’ve played with strafing left and right, but I suck at it and being I’ve yet to PvP I’ve seen no reason to gimp my DPS by continuing to play with it. This means that the left and right keys are not natural to me and I don’t even have them on my G13.

Second, reacting and finding the same key each time I was stunned was a pain in the butt for me. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to break out of a stun now that it’s a random movement key.

I know that there is going to be some young buck that will say that reacting and finding the correct key will be no problem, but I’m not a young buck anymore and I think I’m going to be eating a lot more Red with this random movement key Stun Breakout, than I would be with a press ‘f’ key Stun Breakout.

Sigh!

I swear I looked before I posted this.

#9 bisqquit

bisqquit
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

To me it sounds like you will be able to break out using your two mouse buttons...but why not bind forward movement to a side mouse button?  Makes things less carpal tunnely.

Side buttons are all my abilities plus map, mount n auto run.

#10 ShiokLah

ShiokLah
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Or they can make it less spammy by reducing the number of time you have to press F to breakout.

#11 Nadili

Nadili
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Yeah I always bind strafe to A and D with mouse turning guess I will have to figure out something.

<Conviction>

Lead-Nadili

http://www.congaming.com

#12 bisqquit

bisqquit
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Or they can make it less spammy by reducing the number of time you have to press F to breakout.

I'd rather they just removed the whole thing altogether. A stun is a stun.

• Nimiar, Shnoo and Caduce like this

#13 polkunus

polkunus
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I liked the F spam because you had some control over how long you stay disabled, it made it engaging, but obviously it was vulnerable to unfair macro spam.

You would just hold a button down now, the discrepancy of how long someone stays disabled is small from player to player. Its a bit stale. I was hoping for two or more directionals

#14 Goth

Goth
  • Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

I thank you, my overtaxed fingers thank you.

#15 polkunus

polkunus
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Its four keys, do you still look at your keyboard?

The point of the mechanic is that its supposed to reward you for your reaction time. The better a player's reaction time, the faster they'll break out of a cc

#16 Jim Dotcom

Jim Dotcom
  • Guests
  • LocationScotland (Currently Sweden)

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

You can set 2nd choices for keybinds right?  Just use up,down,left,right arrow keys and use them for this.

#17 8ob

8ob
  • Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

gonna disagree. of course I have never been fond of getting rid of backpeddle...

The random button selection means no ability to have a single macro to forget about it. It also means there is reaction time skill to get that button pressed as quickly as possible. the hold means no more macro to spam it or attach to a wheel. essentially it tries to level the playing field. As far as rebinding your movement and getting rid of backpeddle...meh I always thought of that as silly... But you could simply have backpeddle off to the side in case a stun pops up unexpectantly...not like you will be pressing anything else during stun...

Looking for a group of people who want to do it all? Infinite-Eclipse.com NA/Exiles/Pago/Semi-hardcore(end game content without the time commitment)

#18 Krytus

Krytus
  • Members
  • LocationMexico CIty

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Well, for me this a very welcomed change, I really like the idea need to see the implementation. I get your point and many people will agree with you because this is much more dependent on the binding you use and not every ones uses the move forward button for example.

But I think this is a step in the right direction because removes the advantage that all macro mouse owners had (including me). Maybe if they add an option to configure which keys the system can use would be enough for all players to adapt to this mechanic; for example you set that ASDF are the keys that the system can use for the random key, so every time you get stunned the system ask you to push one of those four even if they are not assigned to movement.

• Montee and Docfranz like this

SenAl (Stalker) - Torpid (Medic) - Krytus(?) - Tolaan(Warrior) - Alessaa(Esper)

PvX - Crafter - Altoholic

#19 bisqquit

bisqquit
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

gonna disagree. of course I have never been fond of getting rid of backpeddle...

The random button selection means no ability to have a single macro to forget about it. It also means there is reaction time skill to get that button pressed as quickly as possible. the hold means no more macro to spam it or attach to a wheel. essentially it tries to level the playing field. As far as rebinding your movement and getting rid of backpeddle...meh I always thought of that as silly... But you could simply have backpeddle off to the side in case a stun pops up unexpectantly...not like you will be pressing anything else during stun...

Dismissing the removal of backpedal as 'silly' is just ignorant to basic gameplay mechanics. Also the issue with rebinding the movement keys somewhere else is travel time. I physically have to look down, move my hand to the rebound area, press the correct key - stun wears off - look back down and move my hand back to my movement keys. Huge disadvantage.

#20 8ob

8ob
  • Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yea, it may not be as "much" of a skill difference, but it's still there and less prone to be able to macro the skill out of it.

Looking for a group of people who want to do it all? Infinite-Eclipse.com NA/Exiles/Pago/Semi-hardcore(end game content without the time commitment)