Photo

Deadeye Brightland and Sadie Brightland Storyline (Spoilers)

Deadeye Brightland Sadie Storyline

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Crimtendo

Crimtendo
  • Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

POPULAR

This article explains the problems with Deadeye and Sadie's storyline so well.. 

Spoilers in article

http://gamegeex.blog...adie-brightland

Deadeye and Sadie Brightland have potential to be amazing characters.

...But instead they are boring and one dimensional characters.

I hope Carbine changes the story for them... I was wondering if anyone else felt this way..

• Nunchi, Xostro, Roda and 9 others like this

#2 Aethrysa

Aethrysa
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

I agree.

Spoiler

• Roda, Cyglaive, ZiddersRoofurry and 5 others like this

Holly ♥ 50 Warrior ♥ Avatus ♥ Dominion

#3 t209

t209
  • Members
  • LocationRangoon

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Agreed, But the only development is that Sadie was a Justice/Policewoman.

(*Umm, how do I make a spoiler tag.)

#4 Nadili

Nadili
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Respectfully I disagree and feel it adds more to Deadeye in it's current form.  Besides as we all know storylines can be twisted in the MMO world especially with a new IP anything is possible.

<Conviction>

Lead-Nadili

http://www.congaming.com

#5 Aethrysa

Aethrysa
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Agreed, But the only development is that Sadie was a Justice/Policewoman.

(*Umm, how do I make a spoiler tag.)

[spoiler] your text [/spoiler ]

Without the space.

#6 DaGaZ73

DaGaZ73
  • Members
  • Location3rd Rock from the Sun.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

While I would have to agree with the writer of this article it would be impractical for Carbine to make the changes this late in the BETA. This would've been great to bring to their attention months ago during Closed BETA. While it is sad that Carbine threw away their chance at creating a strong main female character with the game Launching in June and Carbine still having to address other issues it is very unlikely that they would be able to change the story line now.

#7 t209

t209
  • Members
  • LocationRangoon

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

While I would have to agree with the writer of this article it would be impractical for Carbine to make the changes this late in the BETA. This would've been great to bring to their attention months ago during Closed BETA. While it is sad that Carbine threw away their chance at creating a strong main female character with the game Launching in June and Carbine still having to address other issues it is very unlikely that they would be able to change the story line now.

Well, that kinda suck.

Spoiler

#8 Aethrysa

Aethrysa
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Well, that kinda suck.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• S-Flo likes this

#9 t209

t209
  • Members
  • LocationRangoon

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Spoiler

Yep, that's the only way to solve the plotline.

Spoiler

#10 Vyver

Vyver
  • Members
  • Locationbetter than everyone

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

it was brought up pretty much the moment people saw it even back in winter beta

frankly, all they would really have to do is have the ship blow up without her on it, since...the cutscene doesn't even include her in the first place, just random citizens

throw in some extra dialog where sadie convinces deadeye to wait and let the rest of the refugees leave first (because you can literally see thayd from the northern wilds) and then just have her disappear until the writers figure out what to do with her

I'd rather have an open-ended absence than a pointless death

• Roda, El_Guapo, Dr. Fuzzums and 4 others like this

sadie brightland dies

#11 Dr. Fuzzums

Dr. Fuzzums
  • Guests
  • Locationwhere ever the wind blows

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

frankly, all they would really have to do is have the ship blow up without her on it, since...the cutscene doesn't even include her in the first place, just random citizens

throw in some extra dialog where sadie convinces deadeye to wait and let the rest of the refugees leave first (because you can literally see thayd from the northern wilds) and then just have her disappear until the writers figure out what to do with her

You do have a point after we healed her on the ship I saw that it was not going to end well for her and dead eye . Especially due to her having no lines written or otherwise. I love the lore in this game but one of the problems is the fleshing out of the characters and throwing away opportunities to do so. But the game hasn't launched yet and this IS beta the finished product could fix alot of the plot holes and issues. 

I WILL KILL IT FOR SCIENCE!!!!

#12 Crimtendo

Crimtendo
  • Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

I hope this happens!! and Deadeye still has reason for revenge, so no quests are needed to change...just dialogue..

If they need to kill her off (because of possible future stories already written).. at least do it later on... when we can get attached to her..like game of thrones..

• Meltup likes this

#13 t209

t209
  • Members
  • LocationRangoon

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

I hope this happens!! and Deadeye still has reason for revenge, so no quests are needed to change...just dialogue..

If they need to kill her off (because of possible future stories already written).. at least do it later on... when we can get attached to her..like game of thrones..

But I am feeling that it was intentional since one of the comic in Whitevale has a student of Brightland vowing revenge against him for generation. Maybe the only descendent was an inbred invalid, sterile drunk, or lost his/her family, which I felt Carbine is making a storyline of which family line will shoot the last shot. My headcanon stated that it will be a Cassian engineer who lost his family in Hycrest Plague or an Exile raid (Longarms vs Pistol with same tragic story).

#14 Crimtendo

Crimtendo
  • Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

But I am feeling that it was intentional since one of the comic in Whitevale has a student of Brightland vowing revenge against him for generation. Maybe the only descendent was an inbred invalid, sterile drunk, or lost his/her family, which I felt Carbine is making a storyline of which family line will shoot the last shot. My headcanon stated that it will be a Cassian engineer who lost his family in Hycrest Plague or an Exile raid (Longarms vs Pistol with same tragic story).

What?? lol

#15 Zettomer

Zettomer
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

For some reason the board double posted after I made an edit? No idea why. Ignore this.

#16 Zettomer

Zettomer
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

POPULAR

Leave it exactly as it is. Complete with the slightly less than believable reaction by Deadeye. Very campy, almost fake.... It's PERFECT as it is. Now, now, don't wet your britches, I'm not finished yet. Hear me out....

Further along, in the Elder game, it is revealed that Sadie's death had been a primary objective for the Dominion for some time, a highly wanted women. Perhaps she offed some Dominion hotshot while working as an enforcer? As it turns out, her death was faked as a means of getting the Dominion off her ass while she was pregnant, vulnerable/with a newborn child. Deadeye's rather off reaction being due to cowboys generally being bad actors. Now no longer pursued, she's free to recover and get ready to assume her new job as an Exile assassin, lying in the shadows, hiding undercover, dead for all anyone knows, hitting the Dominion when they least expect it.

So how does the big reveal come about? Simple. Make it not an Exile, but a Dominion storyline quest. What? Yeah, that's right. This interweaves the stories of both factions in an incredibly deep and introspective manner, while encouraging players to play both factions to get "the full story". It also references events that the player had probably forgotten about til now, creating a great level of surprise and depth. So what's the quest about? In the time span it took you to reach level 50 and hit that point in the quest, she's recovered from her pregnancy, her daughter safe. Obviously, she's not exactly happy about the Dominion trying to kill her child and now? Now, she's pissed and out to return the favor, by personally putting a bullet through the skull of Dominion noble, Malvolio Portius.

Your job, as the player, is to prevent the assassination, the quest's final phase being an epic boss battle against Sadie and her mad skills, which of course, concludes with the ship/outpost/asteroid the quest takes place on blowing up spectacularly, you and Malvolio barely escaping, with Sadie disappearing, leaving whether she survives the event a mystery...for now. Perhaps Mal gets injured, a somewhat disfiguring scar added to his face maybe, as a way of updating the characters as the story goes on of course. This of course, leads to a quest later on in the game's development where Malvolio, hell bent on revenge, goes after her husband, Deadeye, deploying a crack team of ICI agents to get revenge! Maybe Sadie comes out of no where and, with a team of Exile players, tries to rescue her husband? So many great possibilities with awesome rivalry potential!

The result is a huge series of quests detailing the feud of revenge and spite between the Brightland family and Portius, along with the rest of the Dominion nobility. Everything is explained, everyone is satisfied, cutscenes and voice acting that already exist don't have to be completely redone. It also provides a big, sudden, crazy reveal for the players and of course, gives us an excuse to fight alongside/against all these absolutely amazing non player personalities that Carbine has delivered to us. In between quest releases, it'll even foster all sorts of cool Lore debates in the meantime. Did Sadie survive? What's Portius' big evil plan? Etc.

Just a thought here, as it basically solves....you know.... everything.

• hellhound_omega, Avarax, Talynia and 8 others like this

#17 Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Okay that is pretty neat possible take.  However, there is one glaring flaw.  In order for her to fake her death at that moment, wouldn't they have had to known that evacuation ship was going to be attacked?  Wouldn't that mean the sacrificed the ships crew and the other civilians at that moment?  Or are you say that Sadie wouldn't be on that ship in the first place, and when it blew up they just rolled with it?

• Cassiopeia Dominatus likes this

#18 Darkness84

Darkness84
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

I think they should just redo the voice acting with more emotion and

have a shiphand adventure with deadeye tracking down the soldiers

responsible and kill them. It will give solo players a personal connection

with deadeye as a ally.

#19 Zettomer

Zettomer
  • Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Okay that is pretty neat possible take.  However, there is one glaring flaw.  In order for her to fake her death at that moment, wouldn't they have had to known that evacuation ship was going to be attacked?  Wouldn't that mean the sacrificed the ships crew and the other civilians at that moment?  Or are you say that Sadie wouldn't be on that ship in the first place, and when it blew up they just rolled with it?

Well they got attacked multiple times. Seeing as how they didn't run into the overwhelming firepower of say, a fleet ambush, they were instead boarded, it's safe to say these are enemies pursuing them and that somehow, know their location. This implies a spy on board, which also leads to the opportunity of a Deadeye quest for the Exiles as you try to track down the spy. In such a scenario, faking Sadie's death would have to be played out inside and out, so while it was made to look like she'd boarded the shuttle, she and likely it's crew actually disembarked (say through a hatch in the bottom of the ship or via other means) before it ever took off, thus never even being aboard in the first place when the shuttle, which could of been AI piloted even, exploded.

#20 Ivorath

Ivorath
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

As I recall, Deadeye has to be talked out of just staying and killing every Dommie until they finally kill him. Seemed genuine enough of a reaction to me.

I think they should just redo the voice acting with more emotion and

have a shiphand adventure with deadeye tracking down the soldiers

responsible and kill them. It will give solo players a personal connection

with deadeye as a ally.

The soldiers responsible for killing her are the same ones you pretty much trap in the starting zone. There's really not much more to it than that.

I also don't think her death was pointless. Not every character death has to have a twist. Not every 'named' life lost needs to be some big plot point. I prefer to think of such deaths as poignant reminders of the conflict and it's costs.

• Talynia and CowboyKing like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deadeye, Brightland, Sadie, Storyline