Photo

Flying Mounts. Yes? No? How could it work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1754 replies to this topic

#1 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

POPULAR

I would just like to go on record as saying that yes, I want flying mounts in Wildstar.  Make it so you have to be max level to use them, but have them there.

The reasons I often hear that we shouldn't have them usually boil down to two things:

1) But that kills world PvP!

2) It breaks the immersion!

My responses to these two opposing viewpoints are:

1) WoWCensus shows that only 1/3 of all WoW players are on PvP realms.  Sure, WoW isn't Wildstar, but the general trend should hold true.  PvP'ers are a minority, and not even a large minority.  I'm all for things to help make PvP play more fun, but not at the expense of the majority of players, the PvE'ers.

2) If flying is only available at max level, then I don't care about "immersion".  I already got all of the immersion and story while I was leveling up.  I'm max level now, I don't want to trudge through lowbie zones on foot being attacked by random lowbie monsters just because the thing I actually want to do is on the other side of said lowbie zone.  If I wanted to wander through lowbie zones, I would, but I don't.  I want to go gather that particular resource, or go do these specific dailies.  Anything that artificially slows me down getting to that is just wasting my time, and I don't like being forced to do content I don't want to do just to be able to get to what I do want to do.  Its like saying you can't enter a raid each week until you've done at least 3 battlegrounds first.  Just let me skip content I've already done and get straight to what I actually want to do.

Now I'm not saying flying should be 100% safe to the point you could just hover in the air and go make a sandwich, but the point is that yes, I want a fast and convenient way to bypass content that I have already done or have no interest in doing right then.

Plus, just from an in-game perspective, I should think that people who traveled across the stars in space ships, that have transporters and access to all this super advanced alien technology should be capable of something as simple as piloting a ship.  I mean, we know they have ships, they're in all the cutscenes.  Big ships, little ships, fast ships, cargo ships, NPCs with their own small craft to take us up to their big ship adventures, but apparently us bigshot heroes of Nexus don't get to have one?

Heck, make it so that the flying mounts have weapons so we can have aerial dogfights.  Flying kills world PvP?  Fine, make it so you can get on your own flying mount and go chase after somebody and shoot them down.  Remove that argument from the discussion entirely.

• Lethality, Naunet, Xenocrates and 24 others like this

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#2 manolaren

manolaren
  • Members
  • LocationGreece

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

POPULAR

Nty, i hope they never get them in game. Never!

• Jynetik, Azzurri, Numz92 and 55 others like this

#3 Holdredge

Holdredge
  • Members
  • Locationft.benning

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

POPULAR

no because it will kill explorer. all thats need to be said :)

• Sojiro84, Jynetik, Amayasu and 34 others like this

#4 Chaos Sepher

Chaos Sepher
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

As I recall, I believe the game is already designed to handle flying mounts, but plans on introducing them later if anything.  Personally I would be all for it for whenever they give them to us.

#5 Flinder

Flinder
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

I don't have strong opinions about this topic, though I'm generally against flying mounts. There have already been a zillion threads on this topic and they've all gone the same way and I'm content to let this one do it all over again without my interference.

But I just wanted to say that the specific non-flying problems you mention are, like, totally a non-issue. Your 50 will be in no way inconvenienced or discommoded by razortails as you hoverboard through Deradune. 

Well, unless you stand still near one long enough to get hit by a banana.

• Jaeryth likes this

You must gather your party before venturing forth

#6 Lori

Lori
  • Members

POPULAR

The reasons I often hear that we shouldn't have them usually boil down to two things:

1) But that kills world PvP!

2) It breaks the immersion!

It also significantly limits the type of open world content you can create when players can just mount up, 'hop over' any obstacles, land, kill/collect then mount and zip off again.  The world is suddenly not dangerous any more.  It feels small and disjointed.

The WoW devs clearly regret adding flying mounts to their game, and I hope Carbine heed their mistake.

edit:

Also your info on WoW players on PvP realms is not correct:

http://wow.realmpop.com/eu.html  <- 51% EU level 90 characters on PvP realms

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html <- 40% NA level 90 characters on PvP realms

• Jynetik, Tinfix, Noellie and 34 others like this

#7 lughnasadh

lughnasadh
  • Guests

+1 for flying mounts.

• chaiylah, Revan460 and Salmaniak like this

#8 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

It also significantly limits the type of open world content you can create when players can just mount up, 'hop over' any obstacles, land, kill/collect then mount and zip off again.  The world is suddenly not dangerous any more.  It feels small and disjointed.

The WoW devs clearly regret adding flying mounts to their game, and I hope Carbine heed their mistake.

I disagree.

At level cap, there is nothing that should be a challenge to you in lowbie zones, and its easy enough to put any max level content in areas where flying isn't permitted.

• Dana S. Chase and chaiylah like this

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#9 lughnasadh

lughnasadh
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

The devs might but many of the players don't. There's a poopstorm brewing on the forums about waiting till the patch after their expansion releases before mounts can be used.

Challenge can be added to flying areas to make it as dangerous as being on a ground mount.

• Xlugon Pyro likes this

#10 Rikudou

Rikudou
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

POPULAR

Deja vu thread? I don't want flying mounts, they ruin more than bringing good things to the table. WildStar is a beautiful game, so enjoy it on your ground mount!

• Jynetik, Tinfix, Noellie and 32 others like this
RIKUDOUGAMING
Rikudou YouTube / Twitter / Rikudou Gaming Facebook
Aurin Stalker - Chua Medic

#11 TheDonDude

TheDonDude
  • Members

POPULAR

I prefer no flying mounts, but if there are some, I hope they are severely limited: i.e. only allowed in certain zones designed around flying mounts.

It makes the world seem too insignificant if you can bypass all of it, even at max level.

• Jynetik, Corwen, Drebble and 14 others like this

#12 Exsolo

Exsolo
  • Members
  • LocationWisconsin

So I'm trudging along and OOO :)  I see a node run over and....  WooooSHH!!!  flying mount guy drops out of the sky and starts hacking away at my node...  WTF!?! :angry:   Do you know how many times this happend to us when flying mounts showed up in wow?!?   So boo hoo QQ my vote is -1

• Tinfix, Nysuss, Rikudou and 4 others like this

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance.

#13 manolaren

manolaren
  • Members
  • LocationGreece

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Why this game must be exactly like WoW?

WoW has Flying Mounts, LFR, Flex & HC Raids while Wildstar don't.

Lets leave this game be a bit different...

#14 Lori

Lori
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

POPULAR

The devs might but many of the players don't.

Yes, it's a prime example of players not knowing what's good for them.  As I said in another thread, an MMO designed by forum poll would be horrible.

• Jynetik, JViper24, Nysuss and 18 others like this

#15 Aadmer

Aadmer
  • Members
  • LocationSomewhere in Nexus

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Nope to flying mounts.  Maybe on expansion 3 possibly.  If you want flying mounts there are lots of games for you to go play. Hell was even one years ago that you could be a dragon and fly.

Better yet, if they do implement flying mounts, make it hurt.  cost so much you really need to think about it. 1 billion plat and no housing plot.  That works for me.

• GummiBear and Dana S. Chase like this

#16 Wyzo

Wyzo
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Pulling flying out after level cap and potentially for the entire WoD xpac is the only reason I ever found out about Wildstar. I love flying.

I aim to misbehave.

#17 Calibix

Calibix
  • Guests
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

POPULAR

NO NO NO.

Go back to WoW if you want flying mounts.  This game isn't for the majority, its for the minority.  Flying mounts will ruin owpvp, just like any form of fast travel does.  Wildstar has just enough travel for convenience without ruining how good of zones they've made, and easy moding it.

• Ethunyiel, Nysuss, Rikudou and 8 others like this

Calibix | AVID | Warrior | Killing is my business... and business is good.
Join Team Avid in an upcoming or current title
| WoW | WildStar | Pantheon | EQNext |

#18 Zamorra

Zamorra
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....rhhhhhhh  to flying mounts  rhhhhhhh

• Lori, Torito, Dana S. Chase and 1 other like this

#19 Elene

Elene
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Deja vu thread? I don't want flying mounts, they ruin more than bringing good things to the table. WildStar is a beautiful game, so enjoy it on your ground mount!

Agree 100%. The game is too beautiful right now to just fly over everything.

• Lori, Rikudou, Dungeon47 and 5 others like this

"A home is always worth fighting for."

Eva's Deviantart | Eva's Art Stream | Commissions closed!

#20 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

NO NO NO.

Go back to WoW if you want flying mounts.  This game isn't for the majority, its for the minority.  Flying mounts will ruin owpvp, just like any form of fast travel does.  Wildstar has just enough travel for convenience without ruining how good of zones they've made, and easy moding it.

I care not for your world PvP.

• Spider Bro Jenkins and chaiylah like this