Photo

Housing plot missing trees and leveled flat?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Strongfort

Strongfort
  • Members

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

How come the housing plot was leveled flat now? Where there used to be some rocks and cacti and trees, it's all barren and much more boring. I miss the terrain that was once on my land.

I've also noticed that I'm unable to place items on many plots unless it's very much towards the center of the area.

Overall I feel that the exterior of the house area has taken a big hit in customization.

#2 Archadian

Archadian
  • Members

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

How come the housing plot was leveled flat now? Where there used to be some rocks and cacti and trees, it's all barren and much more boring. I miss the terrain that was once on my land.

I've also noticed that I'm unable to place items on many plots unless it's very much towards the center of the area.

Overall I feel that the exterior of the house area has taken a big hit in customization.

It's really a bummer how limited the space is that you can place objects outside. Looks like you cannot place objects on any of the plugs (except the main plug where your house sits). Additionally, the outer rim of the plot is huge. I'd like to be able to place things everywhere on the plot, even up to the edge. I don't think that would break anything, and could only make it even more customization and even better.

I had grand dreams for a plot-wide jumping puzzle, but I'm bummed to see that it might not be possible.

Any news on if this is working as intended?

#3 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

As far as I know, that is working as intended. I believe the reasoning behind the "invisible barriers" has to with their desire to restrict the possibility of players circumventing Challenge mechanics through strategic placement of decor. Beyond that "little" thing, I too would like a bit more elbow room. There are those of us that have asked for such, including being able to place decor directly on plugs (which a Dev simply responded to with an "okay"), so I remain hopeful that there are changes incoming that will radically effect the current restrictions.

*fingers crossed*

#4 Drebble

Drebble
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

As far as I know, that is working as intended. I believe the reasoning behind the "invisible barriers" has to with their desire to restrict the possibility of players circumventing Challenge mechanics through strategic placement of decor.

Plugs could be tagged as "challenge" or "deco allowed". For example I would like to have stacks of crates and various techno junk around my crafting station, as well as plenty of drinks and snacks and a few extra monitors and robot arms. That would in no way interfere with the jumping puzzle in the plug next to it.    

#5 Archadian

Archadian
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Plugs could be tagged as "challenge" or "deco allowed". For example I would like to have stacks of crates and various techno junk around my crafting station, as well as plenty of drinks and snacks and a few extra monitors and robot arms. That would in no way interfere with the jumping puzzle in the plug next to it.    

And honestly- since you'll probably quickly master the jumping puzzles and stuff, I think if a player creates a solution to help them get to the top, that's actually pretty sweet. So you didn't do the jumping puzzle, if you devote time and resources to make a work-around, I think that creative circumvention should be encouraged. It's not like you're going to break the game by doing so, the jumping puzzle really isn't that hard in the first place.

It would be a bummer if the system limited itself just to avoid that...

#6 Lemurian

Lemurian
  • Members
  • LocationME

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

They said before the wipe they will be allowing deco placement on plugs that are decorative. Well, when someone asked jp said "ok" (and nothing else) so we're assuming its in the works.

As of now, you can at least place deco around your house and on Vacant lots (they changed the name from Dirt patch but I forgot what it is now).

"Unfortunately, Lemurian has it right." -BusterCasey

Worst Forum Lurker Ever

#7 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

As of now, you can at least place deco around your house and on Vacant lots (they changed the name from Dirt patch but I forgot what it is now).

Not sure if that is working all properly though. I decided to replace a Cubig feeder plug with a Vacant Lot, only to discover I couldn't place anything onto it, not even trees. I /bugged it in game, but for now it doesn't seem to work as one would assume.

#8 Lamenth

Lamenth
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

We kinda hinted at this already, but I might as well make it clear ;)

The rocks and trees scattered around the outside of the property were removed in anticipation of a big change that I recently finished that you all should be seeing soon!

Soon player's will be able to place decor anywhere on their property. The only with the exceptions to this will be placement around the Housing Teleport Pad, and on Activity Plugs. A shield will come up around those areas to clearly indicate where decor can't be placed. Also, keeping with current functionality, replacing or removing a plug will cause all decor placed on that area to be automatically sent to the player's Crate.

#9 BlueDragon17

BlueDragon17
  • Members
  • LocationEarth - at least for now

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Cheering and jumping up and down here. 

#10 Archadian

Archadian
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

The rocks and trees scattered around the outside of the property were removed in anticipation of a big change that I recently finished that you all should be seeing soon!

Soon player's will be able to place decor anywhere on their property. The only with the exceptions to this will be placement around the Housing Teleport Pad, and on Activity Plugs. A shield will come up around those areas to clearly indicate where decor can't be placed. Also, keeping with current functionality, replacing or removing a plug will cause all decor placed on that area to be automatically sent to the player's Crate.

Best. Thing. Ever.

#11 LlamaButtons

LlamaButtons
  • Members
  • LocationNorth West - USA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see this go live.

#12 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Very welcome news (and details!), thanks Lamenth. :)

#13 Lindelea

Lindelea
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

<...>

Soon player's will be able to place decor anywhere on their property. <...>

Awesome news, it's nice to know that you, guys, are working on the housing system to make it more enjoyable for players.

Do you have any ETA when we'll be able to test it? ^^

[codex] Exile: Lindely (Esper/Settler)  <Codex Website> - Apply now!

#14 Drebble

Drebble
  • Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

Great news! The only drawback with FABKits was that they couldn't be personalized. This change opens up so much cool stuff!

Stay awesome!

#15 FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster
  • Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

YES THANK YOU!!!

#16 Wyzo

Wyzo
  • Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Man, you guys don't kid around. The Devs ARE listening.

:)

I aim to misbehave.

#17 Strongfort

Strongfort
  • Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Thank you for the response. We're all glad to hear this news.

#18 Blu_Haze

Blu_Haze
  • Members
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

Lamenth you just made my day. That's amazing news for anyone that's a fan of player housing. Thank you so much.

#19 VRo

VRo
  • Members
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

woo Lamenth! I won't have to make the grass objects insanely large to mask the unmatching stuff outside the limits of my housing plug anymore! can't wait to add flora all over the place!!

the only thing to make housing any more perfect would be biomes that affect the ENTIRE housing plot rather than just the small plug area -- though I suppose that could be worked around by more environmental objects like piles of sand, pads of snow, etc. to cover the existing ground with. I don't remember seeing these when I was working on my house and crafting housing stuff (only grasses come to mind)

Evindra ~ Mikros ~ Orias! Oreos!

#20 Nashor

Nashor
  • Members
  • LocationAlgoroc

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:02 AM

the only thing to make housing any more perfect would be biomes that affect the ENTIRE housing plot rather than just the small plug area -- though I suppose that could be worked around by more environmental objects like piles of sand, pads of snow, etc. to cover the existing ground with. I don't remember seeing these when I was working on my house and crafting housing stuff (only grasses come to mind)

I think they have talked about your suggestion - and it is something they "might?" add post-launch. Would really love to see buying a Biome FABkit for your house that would affect the whole ground though!

Let's become Neighbours! Find me as Flint Oakwood, or Sarabella Lightweave

Here's my Deviantart! Make sure to have a look! I also do in-game commissions for in-game gold!