fps optimization lag unoptimized fix

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Archos

Archos
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hey everyone!

After several hours of tweaking settings, and following many strategies online to try and gain an advantage over the beast that is this un-optimized beta client I decided to try something different. Below I will list the three approaches that I took as suggested by other users online, as well as the trick that finally allowed me to gain control over my FPS. I am hoping that this can act as a compendium for users to save them searching tirelessly online, wading through outdated information.

Approach 1: DirectX9

The first suggestion that was proposed by many users was to force Wildstar to run in DirectX9, as it appears that DirectX10 and 11 have had some serious issues with optimization. The process in order to do this is quite simple.

• Right-click the shortcut icon on your Desktop
  • Select Properties
  • You'll notice under the Shortcut tab, that there is a box called Target
  • In this box it should list the location of your Wildstar installation. We need to slightly modify this line in order to force DirectX9 mode.
  • At the very end of your target, enter a space, followed by the text -dx9 
  • For example, my target box is as follows: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\WildStar\Wildstar.exe" -dx9

Approach 2: Windows XP Compatibility

The next approach that I found was to change the compatibility of the game, which forces the client to download a 32-bit version.

• Right-click your Desktop shortcut
  • Select Properties
  • This time, switch the the Compatibility tab
  • Check off the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" button, and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
  • The next time you launch the game, the patcher should download the 32-bit client.
  • NOTE: Other users have suggested that this fix doesn't actually change anything, but it's worth a shot!

Approach 3: In-Game Settings

This approach is one you may have already attempted yourself, but it's worth placing it here for users who it may not have occurred to, or that are overwhelmed and confused by the in-game video settings

• Target Scale: The first option to try on the video screen is the Render Target Scale slider. This has something to do with anti-aliasing, so it is worth noting that turning this slider will get you some FPS gain, but not without the cost of a fairly grotesquely pixellated experience.
  • Vertical Sync: Ensure that this option is turned off. You may experience some frame tearing, but a bit of frame tearing won't be an issue if you can't play at more than 10fps.
  • Quality: Don't be stubborn. We all know that this is a beautiful game, but until optimization occurs your machine may not be able to perform at the level of quality that you expect. Try turning everything to Low or Off if possible, and then work your way up. Be creative!
  • Texture Filtering: If you're confused by what each of these means, and are experiencing lag, then switch to Bilinear. Thing of it this way:
    • Anisotropic - Best Quality, Most FPS loss
    • Trilinear - Medium Quality, Medium FPS loss
    • Bilinear - Lowest Quality, Least FPS loss

Approach 4: Nvidia Control Panel

This is the one that really fixed it for me. I'm playing the game on an Nvidia NVS 4200m (laptop) gpu, which is actually really weak for gaming. It occurred to me after messing with in-game settings, that certain settings such as texture filtering and AA did not really have an OFF option. I decided to take it upon myself to enter the Nvidia Control Panel to see what kind of fix I could come up with.
NOTE: This solution only works for PCs/Laptops with Nvidia gpus. If you have an AMD GPU and have figured out how to fix this using that, please post here, so that others may see!

• In the Start menu, type "Nvidia," and the NVIDIA Control Panel should appear for you to click on.
  • Select Manage 3D Settings in the task column on the left side of the window.
  • From here, select the Program Settings tab.
  • Wildstar will not appear on the list of programs which you can customize, so you will have to press the Add button.
  • Navigate to your install directory for Wildstar, and select the Wildstar.exe.
    • If you have NVIDIA Optimus functionality on your gpu, ensure that you select your non-integrated gpu from the dropdown menu.
  • Here are the settings that I chose that seemed to help: HERE

Approach 5: Update Graphics Drivers

If all else fails, try updating your graphics card drivers!

Using approaches 1, 2 and 4, I was able to get my FPS up to 30 fps on my laptop. I really hope that this post can help others to enjoy their beta weekends. If you have any suggestions, please post them here and I will try them and add them to the post! Best of luck, and I hope to see you all in Nexus!  :D

Archos

EDIT: P.S. Please remember that the game is still in beta. Optimization is a hell of a task, and we have to have faith that NCSoft and Carbine will do their best to ensure everyone can play smoothly. Stay positive, and try to have fun with it. If you have to play the game in a horribly ugly state, focus on learning the mechanics rather than taking in the sights this weekend, or take a break and come back for the next beta weekend!

Edited by Archos, 21 March 2014 - 06:07 PM.

Having issues with FPS? Why not check out my optimization guide [HERE]

Like streams? Love Wildstar? Then you should help support me and check out my stream here: [twitch.tv/fuzzypixel]

#2 Anton

Anton
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Excellent Work!  The game runs a ton better for my wife on her laptop!

Thank you!

#3 Archos

Archos
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

No problem! I am so glad to hear that this helped you!  :lol:

Archos

Like streams? Love Wildstar? Then you should help support me and check out my stream here: [twitch.tv/fuzzypixel]

#4 Draetlin

Draetlin
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Tried all the suggestions and got my laptop fps up to 33 now, was running in the 16-18 range most of the time

#5 Archos

Archos
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

I am so glad to hear that, Draetlin! :)  Thanks for the feedback!

Archos

#6 Ollam

Ollam
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Did step 1 & 2 then logged in to do step 3 and oh wait ! 1&2 already fixed the problem !

You rock dude ! Thanks so much for making my weekend better !  :D

#7 Archos

Archos
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Anytime! Thanks so much for your feedback! Hope to see you online  :D

Archos

#8 Magbark

Magbark
  • Members

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

Thank you so much, did steps 1 and 2 and now i have 60+ fps (was trying to play with 8-13fps before doing this, lol).

#9 Tronic!

Tronic!
  • Members

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:43 AM

I tried all 4 and saw little difference.

i53210m 2.5GHz

6GB DDR3

GTX 660M

Wildstar looks surprisingly good even at minimum settings though. It's mostly a matter of optimization it seems.

#10 Anton

Anton
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

I tried all 4 and saw little difference.

i53210m 2.5GHz
6GB DDR3
GTX 660M

Wildstar looks surprisingly good even at minimum settings though. It's mostly a matter of optimization it seems.

It seems the Mobile graphics processors are having the most trouble. This seems to be what they need to focus on for launch.

#11 DaveL

DaveL
  • Members
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

• Target Scale: The first option to try on the video screen is the Render Target Scale slider. This has something to do with anti-aliasing, so it is worth noting that turning this slider will get you some FPS gain, but not without the cost of a fairly grotesquely pixellated experience.

Umm i raise objection on this.

No, it does not have anything with AA, but rather in fact it does double your resolution than you currently have and fits to your screen resolution.

So while having it set to 2 and using 1080 res, you technically see double of this but fitted to your screen. Most commonly suggested is leave it to 1.

Do you love Cold Science of Supremacy music? Find remixes of it on my Youtube channel!

-Representative of Czech players fom Wildstarfan.cz website.                    |||||||                                                 HEY LOOK THE BRIEF HISTORY OF WILDSTAR FORUMS!

-Actually playing:   Exile Human Engieer - Settler  - Guild Extoris, Server: Eko - Exile          |||||                         Chua Engineer - Lightspire - C.H.U.A.

#12 Sixsin

Sixsin
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

It seems the Mobile graphics processors are having the most trouble. This seems to be what they need to focus on for launch.

Desktop is pretty bad as well. I have a pretty decent system that should run on ultra at ~80fps and I'm getting half that (as low as 30 in towns).

i7 920@3.8 

Radeon 7970 

16GB DDR3

like a bullet through a flock of doves

#13 Slithers

Slithers
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Would be nice to get some official word on this.

A while back the devs said that tech specs for beta are obviously much higher than the release. But I have to assume the spec requirements on the pre-order page are those for release and not just beta?

If that's is the case and we won't see min. reqs being dropped before launch then I guess I'll have to cancel pre-order.

Despite being able to play WoW with decent detail (high but not maxed) on 80fps and smooth even in raids, my machine falls below minimum specs in the gfx card area (Macbook Pro 2011 running windows). I typically get 18-25fps with some drops to <10 (target scale 0.75) when questing outside, hate to think what it would be in groups or raids. And yes I've tried all of the above.

I will remain optimistic throughout the beta though, even though I'm below min reqs. I seem to be getting similar fps to some who are well above it so if they do improve it hopefully will also improve for me.

I can't imagine they would want to get to release with minimum requirements significantly higher than WoWs. And if they do, they may as well not bother thinking about casual players' experiences because I doubt many 'casual' players will have the specs to play :)

#14 Anton

Anton
  • Members

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Desktop is pretty bad as well. I have a pretty decent system that should run on ultra at ~80fps and I'm getting half that (as low as 30 in towns).

i7 920@3.8 

Radeon 7970 

16GB DDR3

That's very close to what I have and I'm running at 65-70 FPS. If this isn't the case for you, make sure render target is set to 1.  it should not be that low.  unless there's something we don't know about your system.

Didn't see your other post, it probably has something to do with you playing with Windows on mac, but I wouldn't know I'm not that tech savvy.  It's possible that Carbine didn't account for that though.  

Maybe the release version will take all these issues and squash them, but that's a big maybe.

#15 bountyXbandit

bountyXbandit
  • Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

First and foremost, thanks for your post Archos! I pre-ordered the game and only had a day to spend with it, but from what I played, I loved it! Looking forward to exploring the world of Nexus. Just wanted to share my experience.

I was a bit leery about how my system would run Wildstar. I am dual-booting Windows 7 through Bootcamp on a late 2009 iMac. Here's my specs: 

Intel i7 Quad-Core 2.8Ghz

8GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB)

I natively run at 1440p, which I tried doing in-game. Not working unless I decreased everything to ugly and at that point, still got very low fps. (Weirdly, I could run ESO near high settings on 1440p with a solid 30 to 35 fps. I was kind of shocked at how that ran. Could be because of the Mac client.) 

1080p was pretty much a slideshow and I wasn't getting the best of performance until I fiddled around with some settings. I could turn off shadows, turn down render scale to .75 and texture quality to help fps. I also found turning down the draw distance to be pretty helpful. Also, I noticed the title screens, loading screens and cut scenes running much smoother than in-game, which is to be expected. I know they are less taxing and what have you, but just an observation. If the rest of the game could run like that, it would be awesome!

Experimenting further, I then bumped the resolution down to 720p (which usually has severe, negative effects on most games I've tried this on), which enabled me to turn up some settings and run at a higher fps. Only bad thing is, the interface gets huge, which I didn't mess with the scaling, but I am sure you could fix that to some degree.  

Side note: I am going to be building a gaming pc this year, but am waiting until the fall. In the meantime, I have to make this iMac work. I have some expandability in my RAM. I could max it out at 16GB, but would it be worth it? I feel like it may not give that much more of a boost. (My gpu is probably the biggest bottleneck here.) Thoughts?

Regardless, I love this game. I believe in this game and am excited about leveling, finding a guild and exploring in an MMO for once! (Explorer path is rad!)  I am also looking forward to any further kind of optimization to help overall enjoyment. 

#16 SithAfrikaan

SithAfrikaan
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

Giving this a bump because that DX9 setting is going to save lives!

#17 DuPantalon

DuPantalon
  • Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm running Wildstar on my 2013 Macbook Pro retina (Dual Boot), Intel® Core™ i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz, GeForce GT 750M, 2GB and 16 GB ram. I was expecting this game to run well under lower settings, and have decent fps. However even after using all the suggestions given on this forum things have not improved, and my fps remain <30. I'm wondering if optimization will improve the game so that it will be playable at an enjoyable level. Furthermore I'm wondering if there is anything, aside from the above mentioned tips, that might improve the gameplay for the time being. 

Kind regards,

DuPantalon

#18 bountyXbandit

bountyXbandit
  • Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm running Wildstar on my 2013 Macbook Pro retina (Dual Boot), Intel® Core™ i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz, GeForce GT 750M, 2GB and 16 GB ram. I was expecting this game to run well under lower settings, and have decent fps. However even after using all the suggestions given on this forum things have not improved, and my fps remain <30. I'm wondering if optimization will improve the game so that it will be playable at an enjoyable level. Furthermore I'm wondering if there is anything, aside from the above mentioned tips, that might improve the gameplay for the time being. 

Kind regards,

DuPantalon

Hello there DuPantalon,

I too am dual-booting from a Mac. My specs are listed above. Having been through another beta weekend from my last post, some things have changed a little. They removed the render target scale option which significantly improved my performance when it was available. Without that option, I wasn't getting the results I once was. However, I am reading now that you can pull it up through console command. Anyways, what I am saying is, that option should help you a bit. You are going to struggle significantly if you are running above 1080p. Your compy and gpu have to push that much more pixels through for retina, even at low settings. I would highly suggest bumping down to 1080p if you haven't already tried so. From there, play around with some more resolutions. Try 720p and note the kind of performance increase. Sure you are going to lose some image quality and get more jaggies, but you may also be able to turn settings up in lower resolutions to even out the wash while gaining significant smoothness in fps. Also, I discovered that turning the render target scale option down to .5, but running in 1440p looks and runs pretty decently. The higher resolution counters the jagged ugliness otherwise evident at .5 in lower resolutions, and doesn't compromise performance. Hence, this is why I am hoping they keep that option available or at least accessible. 

Don't lose heart yet. The game still isn't completely optimized. There are times when it's running and looking fine on my aged system, but cities and high pop areas with a lot going on at once stutter and slur horribly. A lot of people are getting these results, even with leaps and bounds specs above mine. At this point, we will have to see. Optimization is not an overnight process, but I am hopeful. I still believe in this game and am still having fun. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help as best as I can. 

Cheers,

bountyXbandit

#19 bountyXbandit

bountyXbandit
  • Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

DuPantalon,

Here's a post from Codevine concerning bringing back Render Target Scale. I discovered this today, so didn't get to try out the execution of this, but that's the option that should help you (and I) out. 

https://forums.wilds...er target scale

Here's a quick look at the quote:

You can add the option to the User.ini: "lod.renderTargetScale=0.5". You can also dynamically change the setting ingame by just typing the folowing command into chat: /eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("lod.renderTargetScale", 0.5)

You can change the number 0.5 to any value you like, even 0.25 (I think this is the lowest you can go).

#20 DuPantalon

DuPantalon
  • Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response, I'll have a look into it. I did reduce my resolution, while this did increase fps, it sadly didn't change the fps lagg (sudden drops in fps). But I'll toy around with it a bit more, perhaps this weekend will indeed be beter. bountyXbandit thanks for the tip ill try it out this weekend, I hope it is indeed the golden to our problem. Thanks again and have fun out there (even with low fps).

Kind regards,

DuPantalon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fps, optimization, lag, unoptimized, fix