small but cool tip collection

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Caithleen

Caithleen
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

POPULAR

Just a quick copy-over from beta-forums. Updating soon (with help form TheDutchess i hope!)

Requirements for listing : The tip is short and catchy (1-2 lines) & in regard to something you "wish you had known earlier" and targets the game experience as a whole, not some special number crunching.

Good examples : See listing below

Bad examples : "With Talent XYZ and a Gun of ABC you can do 12 dps more!"

Contributors name is in []

Feel free to contribute your own!

New Player / Tutorial / Arkship

• When you are ready to leave the arkship you can change which starting area on nexus you are transported to. (Select no, go to other shuttle terminal)

UI/Configuration

• ALT-F1 : FPS and Ping
  • On your innate skill and the recall skill you have little arrows that give you options like changing stance or porting to your home (if you have one).
  • Instead of using the button in the questtracker to use a quest item, you can simply press T.
  • When you click on a questtitle in the tracker you get arrows pointing you in the right direction.
  • There is a TINY icon with which you can disable dodging. No more falling out of trees! [MacHaggis&Scythe]
  • Yellow hexagons are quest objective areas and orange hex are path mission areas! So easy to read once you get used to it! [Mahanaxar]
  • Taxi stations show up as white circles on the map. [jetpuff]*
  • There is a button you can assign to perform directional dodging. No need to double tap a direction. [Ironstones]*

General

• When you are in a questhub or city lookout for built settler stations, they can give you some awesome buffs or even offer more taxi routes.
  • When there are multiple settler terminals, you can get buffs from all of them. I don't know why I assumed I could only have 1 buff. [MacHaggis]
  • The sprint key also works on your hoverboard [MacHaggis]
  • While questing, lookaout for special settler-taxi stations, those usually travel short distance to your current quest areas.
  • Shift+Scroll Wheel while hovering over a stacked inventory item will split stack. [Kataryna]
  • The Hoverboard is the only mount (so far) that allows double-jump. [Zap-Robo]*
  • Banks do exist but they don't currently show up on the maps. Look for them in the capital cities near the auction house. [Qhue]*
  • You can type in /dye to dye your clothes instead of run to town every time! (but who are you paying when you dye your clothes in the middle of no-where? hmm..) [jetpuff]*
  • Taxi stations show up as white circles on the mini map when they need to be discovered (You can discover them by right click a taxi station) [jetpuff]*
  • To preview the telegraph for an ability, simply mouseover the ability icon for a moment. Very useful to gauge the instant cast abilities. [toazd]*

Questing

• Challenges with "Kill X of creature Y" refers to packs, not creatures. (a group of 2-3 that stand and aggro together are a "pack"-caith) [heraldTyphus]
  • You can get special weapons from named monsters for which if you complete the imbuement quest it will give the weapon a special effect (caith: in other words : your weapons can have "mini kill quests" on them to make them better!) [toazd]*

Classes

• Engineer : When your bot is spawned, the ability becomes the activator for the bots special skill

Crafting/Gathering

• That you can right click on nodes to harvest them instead of attacking them.... [Lograthsun]*
  • But you can also attack them, at least the plants and lower level nodes.

Paths

• Soldier : Look for SWAT Weapon terminals in the questarea early, those special weapons can help quite a bit with the kill quests.
  • As an explorer, be sure to explore parts of the map while you are close to them. Don't start exploring when you're about to leave the zone. [MacHaggis]
  • Scientist : Scanbot wont stealth with you, fellow stalkers, keep that in mind for PvP areas.

Instances / Groupplay

• If you want to run a Dungeon from the Group Finder, you have to discover the dungeon entrance in person first [Zap-Robo]*

Beta

• Dont post screenshots with your watermark as long as nda isnt lifted. (There are trolls here, for sure!)
  • Do not read every "Hey I am a stress tester thread" on the forums during stress test phases or you may risk a heart attack... [Legedric]*

If you enjoyed the tipps, a "Like this" would be nice!

• Gatoman101, ffuldhimm, TheDutchess and 40 others like this

#2 aishwarya

aishwarya
  • Members
  • LocationTrinidad and Tobago

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

• You can get special weapons from named monsters for which if you complete the imbuement quest it will give the weapon a special effect (caith: in other words : your weapons can have "mini kill quests" on them to make them better!) [toazd]*

can someone explain this a bit more please

Malum Factum

#3 Reznor

Reznor
  • Members

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Some Weapons have the possibility to get better IF you do a certain task, so example:

You get X Weapon for a random drop

X Weapon have a Imbuement Quest - Do Y and the weapon will get better stats

You do Y Quest and the weapon gets better.

#4 Malenka

Malenka
  • Members

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I only played one weekend beta, but it took me the whole weekend to work out where the return button is. Maybe they have made it bigger on the new UI but it was pretty small and insignificant in my opinion. Or maybe I am just blind. I seem to remember it was to the right of the Action bar.

• elBruzko likes this

#5 ShiokLah

ShiokLah
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

I only played one weekend beta, but it took me the whole weekend to work out where the return button is. Maybe they have made it bigger on the new UI but it was pretty small and insignificant in my opinion. Or maybe I am just blind. I seem to remember it was to the right of the Action bar.

If I get what you mean...submitting finish quest... there is a key bind C for communicator that you can popup to submit (some) finish quest.

#6 NicoDavi

NicoDavi
  • Members
  • LocationMississippi .... for now.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Explorer Tips:

- Scavenger hunts have both physical items you can click on, and items you have to Dig up by standing in the right spot. Pay attention to the meter on the Path UI widget. It will be full and a green 'Dig' button will light up when you're in the right spot!

- Be careful when you're using Loftite to get around. If you leave the area of it's influence, gravity will catch up with you. Hard.

- Watch for a small raised stone circle with cracked ground in the middle! These are explorer only 'points of interest' that will spawn random buffs or open up into otherwise inaccessible areas!

- Just like with regular quests, Explorer quests can be clicked on to lead you in the right direction.

- See an area you think you might be able to jump to, or that looks like a really good spot for a great view of the area? Chances are there's something for you to do there.

- If you see an area that has scenery similar to the rest of the zone, but can't figure out how to reach it, look around carefully for an Explorer icon. There's usually a hidden bridge or jump puzzle.

• Viverrine, Mediant and EntropyZero like this

Quote from ghostbyte -

my girlfriend's 6 [year] old came up when I was playing the other day and asked what I was doing. I replied with "cutting down trees with my laser chainsaw" he looked at me with a big smile, said "awesome" and walked out. later that night he was in the back yard pretending to do the same, was so worth survival[ist  just for] that.

#7 Blezzle

Blezzle
  • Members
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

When you come across a mob that stuns you and follows up with a telegraph, it is best to stun them after you become unstunned. Trying to dodge it gives you a higher chance of being hit, and does not give you the moment of opportunity that the stun guarantees you.

Also never use your stuns on CD. Stuns, especially in dungeons need to be used at very specific times. You will be much more sucessfull when you break the mold of mob doing a telegraph, must stun it now.

• Viverrine likes this

/r/Wildstar Moderator - AvengedX - Stay Classy Dominion.

#8 Cypresswolf

Cypresswolf
  • Members

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Explorer Tips:

- Be careful when you're using Loftite to get around. If you leave the area of it's influence, gravity will catch up with you. Hard.

Wonderful, I was worried I wouldn't get the chance to die from accidentally walking off an elevator. So now I guess I just pack the elevator with me. (WoW reference)>< lol

#9 TheDutchess

TheDutchess
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

Edit:

As it turns out, this was picked up outside the forum, probably shortly after the original+update posts were made. A few of the things that were added later aren't on this website, but it's probably a lot more up to date than this thread. I'd recommend people to visit http://wildstar.mmor...ar-tips-tricks/ .

Original update post:

The following is a list of items mentioned in the previous thread (on the old forum) that hadn't made its way to the original post yet. I've also added in the things mentioned here before this post, so it should be a quick update for Caithleen to incorporate it into the original post.

On a sidenote, considering how many people 'liked' the post on the old forum, i'd say this really deserves a sticky.

UI/Configuration

• Finding all chatter in /advice overwhelming?  You can disable the channel in your chat frame by clicking the little spanner icon, then pressing the button next to Advice.  You can turn it back on using the same trick. [JHutchison]*
  • Need to stand on a very precise spot to plant a flag or perfect your next jump?  You can make your character walk by toggling walk/run.  The default key binding is the period [.] key on the number pad. [JHutchison]*
  • If you have problems with the UI, try /reloadui before camping and returning back to the game. [Medusa]*
  • Marking the option "Hold to Continue Casting" under Abilities Options in the Options' Combat tab will prevent abilities like Discharge and Runic Healing from clipping. [Balgoss]*
  • In the top-left corner of your UI is a button called 'search interfaces'; this allows you to access useful things like your reputation, mail and level up unlocks (past and future). [Yenzen]*
  • There is a key bind C for communicator that you can popup to submit (some) finish quest. [NicoDavi]*
  • Ctrl-LMB removes stuff from your action bar. [TheDutchess]*
  • For people wiht 64x bit os'es there is a 64x bit client in the program files 86x wildstar. It will make your game run much better if you have a 64x bit os. [BadDogEDN]*

General

• Recall - works similar to a Hearth Stone in WoW - you need to bind it to one of the portals located in large hub points to be able to use it first, once you've bound it you can teleport back there without running, when you move to a new area you can move the bind point. [Nescient]*
  • Don't know about the Dominion side, but for the Exiles: As soon as you get to Thayd you can buy a 10-slot bag for cheap (some silver) from the Lopp vendor at Academy Corner. [MacHaggis]*
  • If you find yourself stuck inside a drill, trapped beneath a crate, or free-falling indefinitely, use the command /stuck. [ruff1298]*
  • Bank slots need bags...dont sell off your extra bags until you use them for bank slots. [irishdude]*
  • If you're in a zone with a river, a fast way to travel on foot is to swim downstream. [Yenzen]*
  • Be careful when you're using Loftite to get around. If you leave the area of it's influence, gravity will catch up with you. Hard. [NicoDavi]*
  • When you come across a mob that stuns you and follows up with a telegraph, it is best to stun them after you become unstunned. Trying to dodge it gives you a higher chance of being hit, and does not give you the moment of opportunity that the stun guarantees you. [Blezzle]*
  • Also never use your stuns on CD. Stuns, especially in dungeons need to be used at very specific times. You will be much more sucessfull when you break the mold of mob doing a telegraph, must stun it now. [Blezzle]*
  • If you don't have a classes "spammer" ability (i.e. flak cannon or pulse blast for Engineer), you can right click on a mob to cast an auto attack. [Quietmode]*
  • Hoverboard is only mount that works on water. [DaveL]*
  • You can use shift to display telegraphs for abilities (honestly i haven't been able to figure out if/how this works myself, but i do know it's on the list).
  • You can ctrl-rightclick items to preview their looks.
  • Use the command /mounts to get to your mount-collection.
  • Each mob has a symbol on its nameplate that tells you what type of mob they are (caster, melee, cc heavy, healer etc). [Yleina]*

• Use /r to reply (works for account whispers, but probably for anything else as well). Ctrl-r is the default reply key for normal whispers. [TheDutchess]* [FairladyZ]*

• While talking to a vendor, right-clicking items in your inventory instantly sells them (careful with this). Right-clicking items in the buy tab instantly buys that item too. [avo888]*

• You can easily identify story quest markers (in world) because the quest icon has a blue shape around it. [Yleina]*

• Ctrl + Right Click lets you preview equipable armor. This does not work for higher weight classes, even though you can wear them as costumes. [FeralPrincess]*

Questing

• Challenges: You don't have to panic when you do not understand immediately what you have to do, you can restart a challenge for a short period after the duration, or, over the menu (first buttom from the left - Top Left - challenges). [Medusa]*
  •  Challenges: You can restart challenges even if you achieved the gold medal. (after the cooldown on the challenge is over) [Medusa]*
  • Challenges: Sometimes when playing the game tells you that you unlocked a challenge. Instead of going yeeeeeeeeeeees? and waiting for it to pop but it won't, check it out in the challenge menu. This is also a good thing to check at max (beta) level for things to do as I missed tons of challenges. [Tieve]*
  • Challenges: When you're doing a challenge and you don't know where you can find more of X monster, look at the map. Purple hexagons indicate the zone you can find those monsters or anything else related to your challenge! [ImFluffy]*
  • If you click the little number next to the quests name in your questtracker it will open your questlog on said quest. [Qistnix]*
  • Tasks are side quests and will not progress any story lines or chains. Do named quest lines if you don't want to miss story. [Yleina]*

Classes

• Tanks: tanking classes have stances. You'll want to be in dps stance for dps and in tanking stance for tanking. [rumbaughster]*

Crafting/Gathering

• If you cancel mid-craft you lose all your mats. [Mahanaxar]*
  • Tailoring does actually use things from a gathering profession - relic hunter. [Deceiver]*

Paths

• You can activate your datacron ability (path ability) through the g key. [RazorrX]*
  • If you're an explorer, in Gambler's Ruin on the Exile side, there are 2 missions. If you leave the first area through the teleporter, you will be unable to complete the first one called "OPERATION: Hit the Lights." Also, once you take the ship down to Nexus you can never return to Gambler's Ruin, once again losing the ability to ever complete these Explorer missions. [FoMante]* (note: this most likely goes for the other pathquests in the starting area as well).
  • Settler: Active settler stations are highlighted with a sky beam. [Yenzen]*
  • Explorer: Scavenger hunts have both physical items you can click on, and items you have to Dig up by standing in the right spot. Pay attention to the meter on the Path UI widget. It will be full and a green 'Dig' button will light up when you're in the right spot! [NicoDavi]*
  • Explorer: Watch for a small raised stone circle with cracked ground in the middle! These are explorer only 'points of interest' that will spawn random buffs or open up into otherwise inaccessible areas! [NicoDavi]*
  • Explorer: Just like with regular quests, Explorer quests can be clicked on to lead you in the right direction. [NicoDavi]*
  • Explorer: See an area you think you might be able to jump to, or that looks like a really good spot for a great view of the area? Chances are there's something for you to do there. [NicoDavi]*
  • Explorer: If you see an area that has scenery similar to the rest of the zone, but can't figure out how to reach it, look around carefully for an Explorer icon. There's usually a hidden bridge or jump puzzle. [NicoDavi]*
  • For Explorer Scavanger Hunts, you can use the dig button before the bar is completely filled and still find the item. [FeralPrincess]*

• Stalker:Scientists  Your scan bot will now auto dismiss when you stealth.  This clears up the pvp problem but creates a pve problem instead.  You will have to summon your bot every time you want to scan something. Class and path are both great but they require patience to work in combination.

Side Note: Your scan bot will stay if you summon it while you are in stealth...but only until you attack in a way that makes you reappear and then stealth once more. Then it will, again, dismiss. [Mirthy]*

Instances / Groupplay

• The group finder has a button to teleport you to the instance, while in an instance party. This is quite useful in case you end up outside by accident. [Nepumuk]*
  • If you plan to visit the early dungeons / adventures, try already some levels before to acquire some support gear (Lev 15 first adventure), because they are pretty hard if you go in with the DPS gear (either as a tank or healer). [Medusa]*
  • When you mentor down you can't use potions above the level you are mentored to. [Malisent]*
  • On the last boss in SC you can avoid getting blinded by looking away from the middle (on the wall) when 'Overcharging' message appears. [Lindelea]*
  • You can gather a group and walk into a dungeon/adventure 3 levels before you can use the dungeon queue'r (I.e. Stormtalons lair at 17, Skullcano at 32, SotS at 47). [Quietmode]*

• Caithleen, Raved and Roxbeef like this

#10 Quietmode

Quietmode
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

• If you don't have a classes "spammer" ability (i.e. flak cannon or pulse blast for Engineer), you can right click on a mob to cast an auto attack.
  • You can gather a group and walk into a dungeon/adventure 3 levels before you can use the dungeon queue'r (I.e. Stormtalons lair at 17, Skullcano at 32, SotS at 47)

<Voodoo>
~ Engineer Tank ~ Esper Healer ~
Twitch

#11 Qistnix

Qistnix
  • Members

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

If you click the little number next to the quests name in your questtracker it will open your questlog on said quest.

#12 Chambertin

Chambertin
  • Members
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Paths

• Explorer: Although there are other aspects to this path it is fundamentally a jumping puzzle class. Don't pick unless you really, really like them.
  • Settler: This class will probably put you on foot a lot. Because we need to pick up a lot of things its hard to just mount and roll through an area. (possibly just me though, I can't help but collect them all)
  • Scientist: You still have to do some jumping puzzles to get Datacubes
  • Soldier: This path is very fun, but very repetitive (possibly in a good way). Watch your telegraphs & movement, or clear the area around holdouts. 

I absolutely regret choosing Explorer and would hate to have someone else feel the same. It is 80% jumping and 10% interesting hidden away content. As I haven't played a console game or platformer since Mario 64 it was a nightmare and I wasted A LOT of time in the initial levels until I gave up. Even when I came back to the early puzzles I still failed often. Yes this is a skillcheck and I suck of my own fault, but it was a very unknown skillcheck at the time.

Don't pick Explorer unless you are very up to date in your platforming skills, or want to get back into the top class of platformers.

Everything else was fun, but as noted there are a couple QoL aspects that I would have liked to know if I didn't have a chance to play the game.first.

• catsmeow likes this

#13 DaveL

DaveL
  • Members
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

Hoverboard is only mount that works on water.

• ShiokLah likes this

Do you love Cold Science of Supremacy music? Find remixes of it on my Youtube channel!

-Representative of Czech players fom Wildstarfan.cz website.                    |||||||                                                 HEY LOOK THE BRIEF HISTORY OF WILDSTAR FORUMS!

-Actually playing:   Exile Human Engieer - Settler  - Guild Extoris, Server: Eko - Exile          |||||                         Chua Engineer - Lightspire - C.H.U.A.

#14 TheDutchess

TheDutchess
  • Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

updated my update-post with the stuff until here.

Note: did NOT add the post made by Chamberlin, as my personal feeling is that this is more preference and personal opinion based than a "wish i'd known earlier" fact. Will leave it up to Caithleen to decide whether she'd like to include this in her original post.

#15 TheDutchess

TheDutchess
  • Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Here's a 'wish i'd known earlier' of my own, that i finally figured out yesterday:

*ctrl-LMB removes stuff from your action bar.

(edited this into my update post)

• FluffyM likes this

#16 BadDogEDN

BadDogEDN
  • Members
  • Location'Murica

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

For people wiht 64x bit os'es there is a 64x bit client in the program files 86x wildstar. It will make your game run much better if you have a 64x bit os. (just found this out this weekend huge difference for me)

• Rowdog likes this

___          
 __|___|__               - Edowado -

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Trust Me I'm an Engineer"    

#17 RazorrX

RazorrX
  • Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

that G is action for Path tasks.  I started out as an Exporer and could not figure out how to place the scanner/flag in the starter area, I finally thought that there HAD to be some kind of key in or something I was missing, so went and looked at keybinds.

Later in advice channel someone was complaining about how they could not place a flag, no button, etc. I told them to try "G" and it worked, so at least I was not the only one who did not know. :)

#18 TheDutchess

TheDutchess
  • Members

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

It seems somehow i missed a few things from the forum before the wipe, as i just noticed that i'd written down a few things on my own little notepad that aren't in here. Hope i didn't miss out on anything too important that i didn't write down. Obviously i don't know who'd posted these things originally, so i'm sorry for not being able to give them credit.

*you can activate your datacron ability (path ability) through the g key (i'll give credit to RazorrX for this now, as his post actually made me realize that stuff was missing).

*you can use shift to display telegraphs for abilities (honestly i haven't been able to figure out if/how this works myself, but i do know it's on the list).

*you can ctrl-rightclick items to preview their looks.

*use the command /mounts to get to your mount-collection.

(updated my post with these and the things mentioned above).

#19 Chambertin

Chambertin
  • Members
  • LocationJapan

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Adding or not is your opinion

You can keep my opinion out of the post, but I think people would like to know that Explorer is Mario 64 on steroids.

If you don't pick a class with a solid forward movement ability then you will be hurting as you level the path.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who didn't realize just how deep platforming cuts into the Explorer path.

#20 Yleina

Yleina
  • Members
  • LocationNorthern Canada. In the snow... and ice.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

*Tasks are side quests and will not progress any story lines or chains. Do named quest lines if you don't want to miss story.

* Each mob has a symbol on its nameplate that tells you what type of mob they are (caster, melee, cc heavy, healer etc).