Photo

Need some inspiration? Housing Theme Ideas!

Housing Themes Ideas

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationIn a garden...

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

Disclaimer/Warning: Text intensive, not for the faint of heart! Brave souls....read onward....

You've successfully made it into the game. You have trudged through the beginner zones, battled countless mobs, and have finally arrived at the level 14 milestone. Huzzah!

Your reward? A housing plot to call your very own! (among other things)

Now that you have a housing plot....what in the world are you going to do with it? Not everyone has the luxury of vast amounts of platinum to spend willy-nilly, constantly changing the lighting, roof style or even the base structure on a whim!

Maybe you are Mr/Mrs Moneybags or maybe you aren't. Either way you are likely in it for the "long haul" and willing to invest time and thought into your personal domicile. That said, there are many considerations to keep in mind when planning your home, even before you lay that first "brick".

Do you choose your style of home based solely on your race? Many Aurin will likely go with the Aurin-style home, simply to maintain a closeness to nature, as the Aurin-style home exhibits the more organic/curvy/nature-inspired features.

Or do you take into consideration your class/path choices? An Aurin engineer may feel right at home in a typical Exile-style home, being less concerned about nature and more about where they are going to put their work station or how many nifty gadgets they can fit on their new counter-top area. Perhaps an Aurin settler is more inclined to go with a Granok-style house, as they might appreciate the craftsmanship of a home built from stone.

Once you decide on a basic house style, then comes the really big question. What theme or purpose will your house have?

Is it just a place for you to put your feet up? A simple residence.

Or is it a place meant for "public use"? A typical tavern.

Or is to be both?

Or maybe you have absolutely no idea what you should/could do with your newfound powers as a land owner in Nexus?

Decisions, decisions.....

Aha! Here's the main focus of this article....

Below is a listing of suggested themes you could consider using for your home. Each suggestion comes with a brief description/concept and often includes a short list of types of decor that might work with it, along with ideas for rooms and makeshift/custom creations. Suggestions made my other posters in this thread will be added to this list as I have time to edit it, and of course will be attributed to them.

Where applicable, my personal experience (i.e. homes I've seen with defined themes) will be referenced. The names of the owners of these homes have been left out to maintain their privacy (as it's not my right to share those specifics), though they are free to chime in here if they so wish.

Firstly though, some general considerations:

Item Requirements! True enough, there are certain items that are locked by level restrictions, reputation levels or cost vast amounts of cash/renown. While it may inhibit your progress until such time as you meet these requirements, you should not let it stop you from working towards your ultimate goal.

Lighting! This is an important, often overlooked, feature that you would be wise to tinker with, as there are a variety of settings that can greatly enhance whatever mood/atmosphere you are aiming for in your house. From fog, to dark, to neon, there's bound to be an option that will best suit your needs.

Item Placement Restrictions: Currently we are somewhat limited on where we can place items on the exterior of our housing plot. Be assured though that we've already heard from the-powers-that-be that these restrictions are to be loosened. In the meantime, do the best you can with the restrictions that are in place and keep your fingers crossed that the coming changes arrive sooner than later.

Multi-Purpose Homes: Alot of the ideas shared below can be mixed, matched or expanded upon, as you like. You might want a private upstairs, but have a type of bed-and-breakfast setup down below. Or perhaps you wish for a local tavern scene, all nice and cozy to the casual visitor, but have a secret gambling room or torture chamber tucked away somewhere. So don't feel restricted to choosing/styling your home after just a single theme, if you feel like you cannot choose or just want to keep things interesting/unique.

Now on to the good stuff!

General/Personal Residence:

Spoiler

Haunted/Gothic House:

Spoiler

Carnival/Fun House:

Spoiler

Medical/Science Facility:

Spoiler

Bar/Tavern/Club/Inn:

Spoiler

Frat House/Internet(Cyber) Cafe:

Spoiler

Farmer's/Flea/Open Market:

Spoiler

Farm House/Zoo/Pet Shop:

Spoiler

Art Gallery/Museum:

Spoiler

Motorcycle/Mount/Auto Shop:

Spoiler

Grocery Store/Restaurant:

Spoiler

University/School/Place of Learning:

Spoiler

Police Precinct/Department/Jailhouse: (contributed by Nickleyo)

Spoiler

This is just a small sampling of some of the things you could do with your housing plot. You are really only limited by your imagination (and possibly a bit with current placement restrictions, in the sense of being hindered from fleshing out your property as well as you may like to, but that's another story!).

Feel free to openly brainstorm here for ideas if you have a particular theme in mind and would like some help in fleshing it out or wish to elaborate on some ideas that would work for the themes already listed, or would like to contribute new themes for others' consideration.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully it has inspired you to run wild with housing. It's all in good fun!

• Irullan, Vaylara and KibbIes like this

#2 Irullan

Irullan
  • Members
  • Locationearth that was

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for getting this back up Kaeret!! I totally built off your art studio idea for my pad  ;). If you are looking for even more inspiration, check out Badeaner's badass Draken strip-club lair. He does some pretty creative stuff with basic pieces!

#3 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationIn a garden...

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

No problem, Irullan. :) I was worried I might miss the "grand re-opening" before I head off to a dinner function this evening, but woohoo! We are back in business!

Thanks for the link to Badeaner's place. I've been in there in person and all I can say is "wow". :D Would love to see some pics of your art studio!

• Irullan likes this

#4 Poeas

Poeas
  • Members
  • LocationAlgoroc

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Great to see you reposted your inspiration post~! Here's my house in case anyone wants an idea of how a bar should look like!

• Bella likes this

Let's become Neighbours! Find me as Aren Rose, Wilson Rose, Jaymes Rose or Poeas Lighthammer

_______________EU's 1st place winner in Jack Shade's House of Haunts Contest!_______________

Here's my Deviantart and my Tumblr! Make sure to have a look! I also do in-game commissions for in-game gold!

#5 Bella

Bella
  • Guests
  • LocationNewport News, VA

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Great to see you reposted your inspiration post~! Here's my house in case anyone wants an idea of how a bar should look like!

Nekkend! LOL, loved the pictures, house looks wonderful!

#6 Poeas

Poeas
  • Members
  • LocationAlgoroc

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Farmer's/Flea/Open Market:

I've had a neighbor take on this particular theme with great gusto (they've since changed to something else). Due to the current item count limitations, he had to keep his indoor decor to a minimum, but he certainly filled out his yard with plenty of items/booths of all types. This type of setup is a great way for visitors to preview items out in the "real world" without having them already on hand.

Only just noted that - lol, wonder who that neighbour is - If I only kept screenshots >.>

But yeah, changing themes weekly was fun - doubt I will be able to do that during the weekends - will try tho! At the moment I gotta re-take screenshots to clean of that dust from my guide xD - might even take a few videos!

Let's become Neighbours! Find me as Aren Rose, Wilson Rose, Jaymes Rose or Poeas Lighthammer

_______________EU's 1st place winner in Jack Shade's House of Haunts Contest!_______________

Here's my Deviantart and my Tumblr! Make sure to have a look! I also do in-game commissions for in-game gold!

#7 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationIn a garden...

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Only just noted that - lol, wonder who that neighbour is - If I only kept screenshots >.>

But yeah, changing themes weekly was fun - doubt I will be able to do that during the weekends - will try tho! At the moment I gotta re-take screenshots to clean of that dust from my guide xD - might even take a few videos!

Haha, you are as blind as a bat. ;)

I still need to dig through my housing screenies, as I am almost positive I took some of your marketplace. If I find them, I'll link them here.

EDIT: Nope! Sorry Nash, I didn't find any screenshots of your marketplace. Looks like you will have re-create it some time. ;)

Edited by Kaeret, 20 March 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#8 Haredo

Haredo
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

I would like a bathroom totally Hello Kitty,a massive, pink couch,a big antique gold cross,and a bedroom done in pinks and blacks.Maybe a chest freezer in the basement to keep my neighbors in.

#9 Poeas

Poeas
  • Members
  • LocationAlgoroc

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Just a random housing theme idea I'd like to throw in: Backyard BBQ! Who wouldn't like some springtime grilled meat anyways!

#10 Tryst

Tryst
  • Members

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

I haven't played with housing yet, but if I roll Chua I would lean towards the happy rainbow setting outside making it look cute and safe and then inside the house would be a house of horrors.

#11 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

I cannot wait to build a haunted house.  The instant I saw haunted house style plots, I knew what I was going to have to do.

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#12 Telden

Telden
  • Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

I was thinking.. Start with the pre-order rocket house, and decorate the interior like a diner.  Then call it "Johnny Rockets".  ^_^

*dodges all the thrown tomatoes*

• Poeas likes this

The glass is half full      - the optimist

The glass is half empty - the pessimist

The glass is twice the size it needs to be - the Engineer

#13 Edymnion

Edymnion
  • Members
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I was thinking.. Start with the pre-order rocket house, and decorate the interior like a diner.  Then call it "Johnny Rockets".  ^_^

*dodges all the thrown tomatoes*

Ugh, perhaps you would do best to keep your rocket in your pocket, young man. :P

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.  It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning.  It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.

#14 Emiriel

Emiriel
  • Members

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

These are great! Personally I'm going for a house that fits for my character's personality. I wish I had guts to make a house full of jumping puzzles and crazy things everywhere!

#15 Kaeret

Kaeret
  • Members
  • LocationIn a garden...

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

I wish I had guts to make a house full of jumping puzzles

Tried that myself a few times, but I am a terrible jumper, so it usually only ended up frustrating me, more than anything else (and I was the one making it!). XD

Others have managed to pull off some great looking ones though (I say looking because I never actually was able to complete any of them :P).

If I did go for something "interactive" along those lines, I think I would opt for a maze kind of puzzle instead. I came across a really amazing one (just through the random visiting tool) and while it took me a while to get through it, I enjoyed every minute of it and the "reward" was getting to see the inside of their home, which was given just as much attention as the exterior, so well worth it.

#16 Vinladen

Vinladen
  • Members
  • LocationGrindin dem Phagelabs

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Threw this in the wrong thread earlier.

http://imgur.com/Nzdmp0e

A skull sculpt of sorts made from picnic tables. It's since been destroyed (the entire plot has). My latest creation is a deck on top of the spacious Chua house. Was coming along ok til the servers went down. Perhaps I'll get to toy with it more this weekend.

Vinladen-50 Chua Engi-Nexus for now.

Neighbor me up.

#17 styrm

styrm
  • Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

I'm gonna make myself an art gallery/museum.

No bathrooms, no kitchen, no bedroom and such! Idont wanna "play house" nor RP, so I dont need extensive personal rooms. But i might make doors with signs on them...kitchen..wc etc..but ofc they are only decorative and nothing behind the door.

But I will probably make an office, as the ONLY personal room. In that office I want a desk...maybe cabinets, a laaarge chair, a large fireplace etc. Think the office of sherlock holmes from the relatively new movie i cant rem name of.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Housing, Themes, Ideas