Photo

DevConnect: Faction Barrier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#341 Dadryel

Dadryel
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

I will just way one thing. I enjoy that open world feeling when i can gank other and can be ganked by oposite fraction. Its just the way it should be...and the way the game was made if i am not mistaking :) That makes game alive..and more fun to play :) The thing i would consider is Cross dungeon system.So if i do dungeons it doesent matter if i do it with my domies or exiles :) Ty.

Edited by Dadryel, 30 March 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#342 H3rboss

H3rboss
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

I will just way one thing. I enjoy that open world feeling when i can gank other and can be ganked by oposite fraction. Its just the way it should be...and the way the game was made if i am not mistaking :) That makes game alive..and more fun to play :) The thing i would consider is Cross dungeon system.So if i do dungeons it doesent matter if i do it with my domies or exiles :) Ty.

Personally I say flagging yourself for PVP should allow anyone to attack you unless they are in the same group. Allows for even more open world pvp possibilities.

People be like "I can't believe this game I enjoy and play completely for free, offers RL cash options to make things easier. Bastards!"

#343 Celestiannah

Celestiannah
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hello, Dev Team Members and Supporting Staff!  Thanks for opening this up to discussion for everyone.  Here are my two copper coins!

• What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

Personally, the only 2 reasons I see for Wildstar to have a faction barrier right now are RP/Lore/Story reasons, and PvP reasons.  With the Strain being a common enemy for which logically Exiles and Dominion should set aside their differences to gang upon and defeat to save the known universe, the Lore/Story reasons can be set aside.  As far as RP, since most RPers I know use an addon to work around the language barrier to RP friendly cross-faction in the open world, and the faction barrier never stopped racist/hater RP from races within the same faction to begin with.  As far as PvP...instanced PvP is already team versus team, rather than faction based, isn't it?  Open world PvP can be based on guild versus guild or circle or raid team, to foster world PVP far more readily.

• What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier? And why?

For everyone who is unsatisfied and wants changed, there is always the part of the group that resents change.  Since having that faction barrier inevitably leads to a greater population on one side versus the other, the less populated side tends to be more close-knit.  The pool of PvPers queues faster, thus accrues experience individually and working together as groups more quickly, and more battles means gearing faster, and so there tends to be that more "hard-core" group of PvPers on the less populated faction - for those who truly enjoy the rush of PVP, it's a perfect niche!  Who of these kinds of players would want to give that up?

• If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?
  • How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

The faction barrier would so be gone!  Even if it's only a perceived issue, the population of active players (and financially supportive ones) seems to be dwindling for Wildstar.  Finding people for anything that requires more than a tank, a healer, and a motley crew of DPS seems to be a real pain outside of prime evening time slots, so if you're an odd duck who plays during the AM on weekdays, Wildstar can be quite the lonely place.  Just like consolidating realms causes a large influx of players to become suddenly available for one another, so too would dropping the faction barriers.

But what about all the Lore and RP that says Exiles and Dominion characters should hate each other?  Well, all the RPers I know use an addon to RP cross faction, and the faction barrier never stopped the characterization of racist-hater within a faction, why should it hold people back from expessing themselves creatively how they see fit?

As far as PvP, rather than one great big faction versus another one for open world PvP, I'd replace Exiles v. Dominion with the option to join a PvP group rather like we now join circles.  Instead of being a purely social/name tag thing, PvP Circles would enable the players to flag up while Representing that PvP group, and those players would then be ripe target for anyone flagged who is representing another PvP group.  This idea allows a single character to be in more than one PvP group at a time, if they so choose, and if you know anything about us games, WE LIKE OUR OPTIONS!  A 5 minute limit on switching teams would prevent shameless abuse of switching sides, but also allow someone repping the wrong group by mistake to fix that error after a short waiting period the same way Wildstar now allows me to fix being flagged for PvP if I turn the flag off and wait in the graveyard for a while. (WHATISTHISIDONTEVENPVP)  Anyone for open world battle of 3, 4, and more different groups?  Epic risks deserve epic rewards, so random places throughout the world would suddenly be popping up small areas to occupy and capture the way events and world bosses happen, granting the winning team big point rewards for dominating the area for a while!  A once-daily limit to the rewards from each capture for individual characters would discourage territorial abuse by one PvP group, but not the feel good bragging rights of hogging a spot to themselves for a little while, at least.  Go team!

Happy developing!

#344 RHDS

RHDS
  • Members

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

I would like to firstly see how Steam release will impact the population, probably there won't be a need for removing the faction barrier. Steam release did wonders for TERA for example.

Edited by RHDS, 31 March 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#345 Foul Wind

Foul Wind
  • Members
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

I would like to firstly see how Steam release will impact the population, probably there won't be a need for removing the faction barrier. Steam release did wonders for TERA for example.

i dont think this will work the way you think it will.  the population is lopsided and is only getting worse.  most people will flock to exiles due to population.  

• Bytek likes this

Foul Wind - Esper Dominion - Biggy Shorty - Warrior Dominion - Klickety Klankz - Engineer Dominion - Hot Garbage - Stalker Dominion - Filth Pig - Medic Dominion - Slim Trigger - Spellslinger Dominion

Telly Kinesis - Esper Exile - Death Breath - Warrior Exile - Phaze Slayer - Stalker Exile - Shock Lock - Medic Exile - Dead Shots - Spellslinger Exile

Entity Server, 6/6 Genetic Archives, 9/9 (15/15) Datascape, 1/2 Y-83 Normal, 1/2 Y-83 Prime, 4/7 Red Moon Terror

#346 Bytek

Bytek
  • Members
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

i dont think this will work the way you think it will.  the population is lopsided and is only getting worse.  most people will flock to exiles due to population.

Agreed. There has been no real changes that would cause anything different to happen. For various reasons, people flock to Exile. It happened on beta, at release, and at free 2 play when there was a huge influx of players. I think dropping the faction barrier is a wise move no matter what the population is because it solves potential future population problems and only benefits the community. There's no reason not to drop it now that we have confirmation that the lore will not change.

Edited by Bytek, 31 March 2016 - 09:32 AM.

Disclaimer: Lore may be discussed in this thread. Possibilities based on lore are being suggested. These suggested possibilities should not be taken as declaration. Only actual declarations should be taken as declarations.*   "Have I gone mad? "   "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”

#347 Captainspire

Captainspire
  • Members
  • LocationIn the void

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

§  What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

My only experience with a cross faction barrier has been from the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.  From the experience I got from that, it promoted more than segregated the factions.  For me, it seemed to encourage me to make more characters.  I never planned to have all eight characters, but having them all allowed me to enjoy the game. 

-          The trade network allowed cross faction markets to use and sell items more freely.  This generated a larger in-game market were people would spend real money (you guys like money right?), buy unlocks and extras, sell them for in game currency.  Any faction could buy them, virtually doubling the open market.

-          Mailbox items:  Often I have a consumable that my advanced character doesn’t need but would be nice if my newer character did.  Also, sending a little extra cash or a newly found item, the advance character doesn’t need but a lower level one would need is also nice.

-          Crafting:  Putting aside how some crafting is broken (I think the technologist?)  Being able to craft something for my characters makes me want to harvest and hunt all the more.  Having an exile weapons maker and a dominion light armor crafter doesn’t help when my other dominion characters are medium and heavy.   

-          Banks:  Having an account shared bank is really handy.  You want to make more money? (You guys DO like money right?)  Sell expansions to account shared banks for more storage.

-          Areas where factions could help each other in a dungeon.  I’ve seen CoGS missions and this is a fantastic opportunity for lore base (I hope) cross faction participation.  

-          Have more missions where you –have- to pair up with a cross faction player. 

§  What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier? And why?

All the character’s stories are the same.  There is no pve difference in lore, story, or interaction in the universe that would make a mordesh play any different than a Chua.  Other than the skill and path, there is no difference in working with an opposite faction player to playing with one from your faction.  The difficulty is to know where to draw the line, where to allow open cross faction support and where to draw the line to a definitive no.  If more issues are created, rather than additional perks created, it’s just not worth the time.

§  If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

There are many players deeply committed to the Faction wall for Lore, character, and roleplay reasons.  Yep, people do roleplay.  My vision is to have a better community, develop the story line on a planet the two factions are locked into combat over.  Having an open faction barrier would generate interests in other avenues of the game such as story, pvp, pve, purchases, and further game enhancements.  It may feel like it for players, who for “reasons” will not cooperate with the other faction, may feel this is unfair, I would promote it as an eventual outcome of two factions, one who can’t go anywhere else, to the other who won’t go anywhere else.  In the end I would hope this would draw more players in, not limit the choice of "Which faction to choose," and leave the door open for a neutral or third faction that the community talks about from time to time.

§  How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

Removing or keeping faction barriers should not remove the PVP flags in any way.  Yes, when a Dominion invites their Exile “friend” to where ever, they are both still open to getting shot down by the opposing faction.  You roll them dice and you takes your chances.  Having a special flag, “May” be needed in co-op dungeons or missions, but to prevent rage fits from one person forgetting to change, in those situations, make it so the realm puts exile and dominion players as friendly.  The moment they leave those areas, it’s open game.  

#348 Numpkins

Numpkins
  • Members

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

Here is my very short take on the question of faction barrier from someone who has only been playing for six days and only level 37. Drop the faction barrier. This is a very fun and engaging game. However, I have spent hours in que trying to get into a group. Example: spent 2 hours queuing for level 10-30, got in group; group fell apart; another 3 hours in que before I gave up. What I did experience, was awesome new players need to see this. If you want to retain new players give us a chance to see the instanced content. The work and love you folks have put into this game is evident. As far as the lore goes. The game and by extension keeping players around, is more important. So yes remove the barrier for all instanced content. Add an open world PVP zone akin to alterac mountain or add in anything here i.e. ESO's Cyridil, gw2's WvW let the factions matter there. But expeditions, adventures, dungeons , raids and PVP battlegrounds should not depend on faction. Many people have told me to wait until level 50 then it will
Be easier to get into a group. This isn't fair to new players. Just my new player perspective.
  • Atomicpanda likes this

#349 CRB_Sunshine

CRB_Sunshine

Community Manager

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hey All -

We want to thank you for participating in this DevConnect! It's now time for me to close this topic and compile all of your thoughts for the team. In the meantime, keep bringing us your thoughts and ideas, and keep your eyes on the forums and all social spaces for an update on the next DevConnect topic.

Thanks!

#350 Pappy

Pappy

Game Director

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hey everyone!

I wanted to follow up with all of you now that the first official WildStar DevConnect is finished!

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you who participated in the discussion about the faction barrier in WildStar. I knew our community was passionate, but I was really blown away by all of the great and insightful comments that were shared by everyone who was involved in the discussion. 

As I said in my initial post, we have been discussing this for quite a while here at Carbine. Based on the feedback that we got from all of you in the community, here is what we now plan to do:

1. We will be dropping the Content Finder faction barrier.
  2. We will be allowing players of both factions to communicate openly with each other. There will no longer be a faction filter in chat.
  3. The faction barrier for open world grouping, housing, social systems, and guilds (which includes Arena teams and Warparties) will stay in place for now.

We will be sharing more information about exactly when these changes will be taking place in the coming weeks, along with further details about what this looks like from a design perspective.

Once again, I wanted to thank everyone for being a part of DevConnect! And stay tuned for more coming up in the future!

Pappy