Photo

DevConnect: Faction Barrier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#321 Marshal Blueslinger

Marshal Blueslinger
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

Love the idea of bringing down the faction barrier...im sure it would make alot more people play the game and the different factions.

As an old "40k player" im used to hearing people talk about Lore and having to re write everything to make it make sense......Solution.....Write in a new "Hidden Threat" that will unite both sides, you dont have to say what it is just give clues to what it may be...could even be a new race? ....an Interstellar catastrophe that's going to splat Nexus...the ideas are mind boggling what it could be.

If it makes more people come to the game and increase our player base the YES do it.

Kinds (as always)

Marshal

#322 Katriell

Katriell
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

The idea that faction barriers are the only way to have faction conflict is complete and absolute nonsense.

The idea that changing or removing faction barriers represents a prioritization of gameplay over lore is partial and conditional nonsense.

Consider Ryzom.  It's a niche little MMO that you've almost certainly never heard of, but it's been going for about twelve years.  It breaks several "rules" of MMO game design and successfully subverts numerous expectations.  The relevant example: its factions.  There are two main factions, four racial alignments ("civilizations", which aren't even restricted to biological members of the race), and two auxiliary factions supported by game mechanics (or 1.5, since one of them doesn't have its mechanics in yet but has players and events).

In Ryzom every character starts essentially neutral to all factions and civilizations.  It's marginally easier for, say, a character of Race A to join Race A's civilization and Race A's preferred faction, but only marginally.  This probably wouldn't work in WildStar because the Exile races and Dominion races come to Nexus with the Exile or the Dominion respectively.

There are no chat restrictions between factions except for each faction and civilization having a dedicated chat channel accessible only by their current members.  Does this enable peaceful cross-faction RP?  Yes.  Does this eliminate conflict?  Not at all!  As some in this thread have suggested, it actually promotes conflict.  Even players who never actually RP tend to adopt an RP-lite standpoint and significant faction loyalty when they have opportunities to debate factions with players from the opposite.

Ryzom's lore is enriched and nuanced, not compromised, by its approach to its factions, which also remain front-and-center thematically and in players' minds.

Imagine RP characters in WildStar being able to address grievances, about acts committed in the war by the opposing faction, directly to members of the opposing faction that they encounter.  Imagine the bitterness, the insults, the escalations in response to unrepentant replies...  The conflict would become more personal and, for that, more entrenched in many characters.  There would also be cases where the character to whom such grievances are addressed would be appalled to hear what their faction did, and would question or even abandon their faction loyalty.  Guess what?  That's realistic.  Both of those paths and everything in between: realistic.

Furthermore, Nexus is not just a warzone, it's also a colony world.  There are, no doubt, a lot of people living on Nexus (and starting to raise children on Nexus) who just want to get by and don't particularly care about the war beyond how it affects them--from how it limits their economic options to how it puts them at risk of having their farm sabotaged.  It would make sense for a bottom-up pressure to build toward slackening of some restrictions and de-escalation of some aspects of how the war is waged.

Personally, I do want the lore to be affected by a reduction of faction barriers.  I want the lore to dive into the gnarls of ideology vs. necessity.  I want it to nod to the common settler's fatigue and frustration with the war and the other common settler's choice to direct their anger at the opposite faction and the third common settler who gets angry at their own faction for "drawing out" hostilities; how, collectively, these viewpoints exert different pressures on politics and perhaps military strategy.  I want contingents in both factions to be increasingly concerned about how the war might be damaging Nexus itself, how many Eldan assets are being lost to everyone, how much collateral damage is being suffered, and how the war seems to be at an impasse.  I want the story of the war to progress and develop instead of staying static forever.

#323 Keltz

Keltz
  • Members

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

I would drop the faction barrier. I get why it's there to a degree. But, when considering the factions you don't really need them to keep a sense of conflict in the game. Look at real life. There are different groups operating amongst each other yet in conflict with each other all the time. We have exteemist groups all over yet they might be doing their 9 to 5 job right along next to you. You may have some people who we would consider less savory working with you at your job and never really know it. Look at serial killers as an extreme example. They often function in society and others had noooooo idea. This idea can be used between the exiles and the dominion. They can function in one society and yet have very different views and perspectives. It would maintain the lore and different stories for game play. The dominion could think of those "dirty exiles" as lesser beings and the exiles could think of the dominion as "tyrannical scum" but it could still be one functioning society. They both can even maintain their spereate encampments seeing as the "put up with each other" one needs the other and both hate it. My opinion is all aspects of the game can be maintained. Ya can break out out the typical mmo view of pick a side. It would create a better play ecosystem brining together a larger player base. It will allow people to play how they Want to play. Grow the idea and it would keep all the groups happy from PvP,PvE, and RP

Heck, if your dominion in an exile city the NPC vendors can try to swindle you at higher prices then if you were in your own city. Not sure what kinda resources that would take to make. But you could put a little RNG in there. Maybe ya get a vendor that doesn't hate you so much and ya get a fair deal. On the other hand maybe he hates your dominion or exile but and will try to take advantage of you and up the prices
Break the mold!

What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier? And why?

I wouldn't, unless you have an 8 million people player base your limiting yourself. All objectives can easily be met without it through lore. And at the end of the day it's about making a game people want to log in and play and with out other people to play an mmo with your setting yourself up for failure

If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

I'd break that barrier down. Step out of the box. Look at real life. People are fighting all the time yet it's one society. I'd run with the idea.

How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

Sure flags can be used. People should always have the ability to PvP where ever they like. Obviously if you enter a BG or War plot your in. But allow people to fight where ever they wish. PvP is good and many folks like it but it ain't my thing but I get it

Anyways that's my two cents.

Axis

Edited by Keltz, 28 March 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#324 RHDS

RHDS
  • Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

I would like factions to stay, because:

• lore reasons - with factions it's just more intriguing,
  • open world PvP possibilities - I believe those could be especially fun in the new Arcterra zone since it's full of dynamic events and world bosses to fight for. 
  • replayability value, for people who have only played to 50 with just one faction, it gives more replayability value to level up again in the opposite faction with brand new story, quests, zones

I've read the other posts that have expressed how much easier it would be to find guilds, dungeon queues, raid queues, PvP queues, etc.

I do agree with that, BUT what about a compromise?

The right way I see to make both sides happy would be to release an expansion which would introduce a new capital city like Dalaran in WoW where both factions would be able to hang out together, with that also a common threat that would make both factions to team up to defeat. At this point it would be alright from all sides to introduce cross faction queues, etc.

This way we wouldn't lose on the base lore and if game's population improves, both factions could split up again in future with a new beef or something between them.

Understandably, an expansion for WildStar in it's current state is highly unlikely, but I believe this would be a proper way to do it.

Edited by RHDS, 29 March 2016 - 10:42 AM.

• Buzzsaw likes this

#325 An Hero

An Hero
  • Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

• What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier?  And why?

It makes me apprehensive.  On one hand, I understand the necessity. The game will probably be unsustainable with the current divide.  The lesser played faction will see the same thing that happened to Warhound happen to it, albeit at a much more drawn out pace.  On the other hand, I'm heavily invested in the current dynamic of Exiles vs. Dominion.  I enjoy seeing the factions at each others throats and it makes for a fun setting.

• What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier?  And why?

In a perfect world, I would much rather them keep the barrier than do away with it, but we don't play in the perfect World of WildStar.  Queues can be abysmal, raids can be unfilled, and guilds can fall apart.  

• If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

Discarding the 'perfect statement' hypothetical, I would

1. Remove faction barriers in instanced, PvE content - There are no racial traits or abilities that differentiate Draken from Granok, Mordesh from Mechari, only the ability to roll certain classes.  In a PvE environment, this amounts to an aesthetic choice.  Therefore, there is no reason--barring 'lore', but PvE instances were always shaky on it to begin with--to have the two factions separated.

2. Remove alien chat

3. Race/Faction changes tested/implemented

4. Cross Faction Housing filtering - Housing is a widely requested feature.  However, I know for a fact that I wouldn't have Dommies on my plot, so enable a setting to only allow your faction on your plot.

5. Keep tabs on player feedback​

• ​​How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

The idea is to remove the faction barriers completely from mechanics, save PvP.  Have a player select a faction, race, class, level as they would now.  Along the way, during instanced areas such as adventures, expeditions, and dungeons, explain to the player that cross-faction queueing is available/enabled/defaulted.  However, in PvP, they're solely representing their faction.  Dominion vs Dominion and Exile vs Exile have proven successful, but intermingling the two would blur the lines to near nothingness.  In my opinion, factions should only matter in PvP, where it's strictly Dominion race teams and Exile race teams.

Final Thoughts

I don't like the idea of having the faction barriers go down, but I understand it.  My only qualm with it is the lore justification, which there should be none.  The wall should come down mechanically, yet, in my opinion, be built even higher in narrative.  I'm confident the devs will make the right choice and Make Nexus Great Again.

• Spider Bro Jenkins likes this

#326 H3rboss

H3rboss
  • Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

• open world PvP possibilities - I believe those could be especially fun in the new Arcterra zone since it's full of dynamic events and world bosses to fight for. 
  • replayability value, for people who have only played to 50 with just one faction, it gives more replayability value to level up again in the opposite faction with brand new story, quests, zones

I've read the other posts that have expressed how much easier it would be to find guilds, dungeon queues, raid queues, PvP queues, etc.

The right way I see to make both sides happy would be to release an expansion which would introduce a new capital city like Dalaran in WoW where both factions would be able to hang out together, with that also a common threat that would make both factions to team up to defeat. At this point it would be alright from all sides to introduce cross faction queues, etc.

This way we wouldn't lose on the base lore and if game's population improves, both factions could split up again in future with a new beef or something between them.

Understandably, an expansion for WildStar in it's current state is highly unlikely, but I believe this would be a proper way to do it.

And once again people are confusing "dropping the faction BARRIERS" with "dropping the FACTIONS". Nobody is asking to drop/remove the factions. In your 3rd example above I do want to run up a Dominion character but I'm not going to bother at this point because any time I put into it will be wasted IMO as I wont be able to play it with my guildies due to the faction barriers.

I hope Carbine is actually taking note of people that are confusing the issue.

• Spider Bro Jenkins and Katriell like this

People be like "I can't believe this game I enjoy and play completely for free, offers RL cash options to make things easier. Bastards!"

#327 CRB_Pyaray

CRB_Pyaray

Lead Network & DB Engineer

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Let me try and help the confusion.

The discussion is about dropping the barriers, not the factions.  Barriers meaning the things that keep you from being able to play together, chat, grouping, etc..  Factions will still exist, an Exile cannot run into a Dominion town without the guards... ahem, "taking care of it."  ;)  Factions will still exist, the discussion is just about the barriers that keep players from playing together.  Lore should be basically unaffected.

#328 Naunet

Naunet
  • Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

The discussion is about dropping the barriers, not the factions.  Barriers meaning the things that keep you from being able to play together, chat, grouping, etc..  Factions will still exist, an Exile cannot run into a Dominion town without the guards... ahem, "taking care of it."   ;)  Factions will still exist, the discussion is just about the barriers that keep players from playing together.  Lore should be basically unaffected.

This is what I figured!

Use Rift as your model, IMO.

"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunderstorm; and these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

#329 H3rboss

H3rboss
  • Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

The discussion is about dropping the barriers, not the factions.  Barriers meaning the things that keep you from being able to play together, chat, grouping, etc..  Factions will still exist, an Exile cannot run into a Dominion town without the guards... ahem, "taking care of it."   ;)  Factions will still exist, the discussion is just about the barriers that keep players from playing together.  Lore should be basically unaffected.

Thanks for officially clearing it up for people!

People be like "I can't believe this game I enjoy and play completely for free, offers RL cash options to make things easier. Bastards!"

#330 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

I was heading to the forums to add my two cents, but what synaesthetic has written here so perfectly encapsulates my own points all I can do is quote and repeat it.

Hi there, Pappy.

I'm Corinn, and I'm the player behind the various Duskwinds: Aeriyn, Meiri and Senna, on the Entity-NA server. I'm not really a presence on the forums--in my experience, spending too much time on an MMO's official forums is a quick route to frustration and despair. The vast majority of these message boards are awash in negativity. However, while I avoid habitually posting on the forums, the idea of this DevConnect thing has me itching to make a response, especially considering the topic at hand and how I feel about it.

•  

My advice? Drop it.

No, don't drop it. Throw it. Very, very, hard. Very, very far away.

Like it's a plutonium sphere that just went critical.

Race-locked factions are very, very old and very tired game design. This was cutting edge stuff in 2003, 2004 with World of Warcraft and its freakish anomaly of a gigantic player base; it could support hard-segregated factions. Wildstar has nowhere even remotely close to the population required to sustain two exclusive factions. Yes, I get the whole lore argument, but writers write stories, and writers can change the course of their plots. I know because I am a writer myself, and I have radically altered stories in the past, changing the entire fundamental nature of the tale, because I realized my original plan just wasn't going to work.

Factions are not working for Wildstar.

The population imbalance would be hilariously absurd if it wasn't so troubling for the quality of life of the players themselves. Exiles outnumber Dominion by a massive margin. This is always the "endgame" for faction-based MMOs; one faction ends up dominating over the other by leaps and bounds. There aren't many ways to stop this from happening, especially with a niche title like WS.

Other posters have outlined why the hard "good guy, bad guy" faction split isn't a good idea. There are many considerations here. One that's already been brought up is the fact that most players aren't going to want to play the bad guys. They're going to see what the Dominion did/does in lore and they're not going to want to play that. Most people don't want to be the villains! The villains LOSE! The heroes are the ones who win, and I don't care how much your promotional material tries to make the two factions out to be morally ambiguous, it's blatantly obvious in-game that the Dominion is absolutely stone-cold evil.

Yes, the Exiles pull off some shady maneuvers, especially anything related to the Black Hoods. There are also a few instances where the player is tasked with murdering helpless Dominion citizens and/or troops, but all of it feels forced and not very natural, like you just threw it in to give the Exiles some token moral-ambiguity points. Plus, as an alleged roleplayer, even when you consider one of my character's Dominion-loathing backstory, I still can't see Aeriyn just murdering helpless Cassians in cold blood. It just feels like a lazy way to add grayness to the scruffy-but-heroic Han Solo archetypes that the Exiles are made up of.

Not every player cares about lore as much as I do (and I'm not even a real RPer, but just like coming up with backstories for my characters). That leaves a lot of people for whom aesthetics are a major concern. I know this'll produce a lot of groans, but like it or not, Dominion players, any faction that has a "cute" (and I mean cute in the sex-appeal sense rather than the neutral "Disney cute" sense) race is going to overwhelmingly out-populate the faction full of "ugly" races. This is completely indisputable and will always happen and has always happened in mainstream MMOs.

I don't care how much you might hate aurins, a huge part of why the faction imbalance exists in the first place is because the Dominion doesn't have their own version of aurins. When Blizzard added blood elves to World of Warcraft, the Horde saw an enormous influx of new players (and not just because they could be paladins, either). I'm not going to lie, I didn't want anything to do with the Horde until TBC added blood elves. I admit freely and without reservation that I will not play a game (or a faction within a game) that does not allow me to play as a cute female character. Period. End of story. There are literally millions of gamers, girls and boys and everything else under the gender sun, who feel exactly the same way. Why else would the most popular races in every single MMO ever be the ones with the prettiest/cutest/sexiest/handsomest player models?

Outside of aesthetic and story considerations, there are many logistical reasons to avoid segregating your playerbase. With a smaller population, it's going to be a lot easier for content to be consumed when all of the players can freely group up together and tackle the challenges as a team. There's absolutely no reason why the game should prevent players from completing quests and instanced content together purely based on the aesthetic or story path they find the most appealing. There's no reason whatsoever that raids should be faction-segregated. None.

Now some of you might be thinking, "What about PvP?"

I'll get to that in a minute.

•  

The only legitimate logistical argument for maintaining the hard-segregated faction barrier is Player versus Player content. Which, as I might point out, is effectively dead as a doornail in this game. There is no PvP. Not really. There are a few diehards, maybe a few hundred total, who try to keep the dream alive, but as far as the majority of the population is concerned, Wildstar has no PvP. I desperately wish it wasn't so, because I love WS PvP. It's so much fun when a good game gets happening, but right now there are so few people interested that either you end up being steamrolled by a premade or on a premade steamrolling everyone else. The rare evenly-matched games are sadly few and far between.

Oh, sure, people will queue for Battlegrounds after hitting the level cap, because it makes some plat and it's an easy/quick way to get AMP and ability unlocks (at least it's much faster than grinding reputation, anyway). Once they get their unlocks, though, they'll never queue again unless they get too broke runing out some new gear they picked up in Genetic Archives. Queues are long. It's always Halls of the Bloodsworn or Walatiki Temple. Daggerstone Pass never happens. Warplots, one of the coolest PvP ideas in recent memory, are a faint shadow of their intended majesty kept on life support by the thinnest of threads by that very same group of diehard PvPers.

"But Aeri, without factions how could we ever revive Wildstar PvP?!"

I have a thought on that, coming up next.

•  

The faction barrier has one functional purpose: delineating "teams" for player versus player combat. Forcing players into a wholly separate, isolated faction by virtue of their aesthetic choice of avatar is old, outmoded, limited and archaic. However, for that single purpose, for competitive gameplay, one must still be a part of opposing teams.

So we make them.

Remove the faction divide between the Dominion and the Exiles as a whole, allowing all players to converse, group, maintain communities (circles and guilds) and complete Player versus Environment content together. In order to both preserve and strengthen PvP in Wildstar, add lore-appropriate OPT-IN FACTIONS that exist solely for the purpose of PvP. These could be created as in-universe factions (in the real-world sense) within an uneasy truce between the Exiles and the Dominion; shadowy ultranationalist groups that wish to turn back the clock and rekindle open war between the two governments. The lore could be handled in such a way that all of this is very secretive, clandestine, and that "on the surface," any member of these factions would be openly supportive of peaceful coexistence between the Exiles and Dominion, while also working behind the scenes to undermine that very same peace.

Wildstar's lore is plenty rich and offers us many opportunities to build opt-in PvP factions. On the Dominion side, one might witness the rise of a sinister group of Crusaders, an arch-conservative sect of the Vigilant Church that views the annihilation of the Exiles as their divine duty. On the Exile side, an extreme splinter group of aurin--those who opposed Queen Myala's decision to abandon Arboria, perhaps--may decide to clandestinely plot to sabotage the cease-fire, accepting the aid of other members of the Exile races opposed to peace, as Avengers seeking retribution for a world destroyed.

•  

This part at least is fairly simple. With an opt-in PvP faction system, it's easy enough to keep the same toggled flag as WS uses currently. Whether you're a Crusader or an Avenger, you just go ahead, flag up and let the killing begin. For those who haven't opted in yet, they wouldn't be able to "flag up" or queue for instanced PvP until they completed the faction quest and became a member of their sides' respective faction.

Offer the quest early on, around the level where the first Battlegrounds become accessible, and offer a reward of a basic set of PvP gear. The Faction Quests could even have their own storyline, like the ongoing World, Regional and Zone Story quest chains. Each quest line could offer rewards such as new PvP gear, costumes, titles, decor and the like as the player completes various PvP objectives, ranging from killing players in the open world to completing a number of successful Battleground, Warplot or Arena matches. PvP Challenges could also be used here to gain achievements, higher scores and greater rewards, just as we already do with WS's PvE content.

---

Woo, that was a little more long-winded than I expected. As you can see, I have a rather strong opinion about the faction divide and I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about ways to get rid of it without "jumping the shark," so to speak, in regards to either game mechanics or game lore and story. There are many ways to end the state of open warfare between the Exiles and Dominion in-universe; both sides are surrounded by deadly enemies ranging from the Osun, the Dreg, the Ikthians, the Redmoon Marauders and the Strain-infected minions of the Entity... and that's just what we already know about!

In short, yes, the faction wall must come tumbling down if we want to see Wildstar grow as a game. There are few other MMOs with hard-segregated factions on the market today, and even those that do exist have such porous walls between those factions that they might as well not even exist. WS has a lot going for it and in my opinion it's so far ahead of every other game on the market right now it's not even funny. Breaking down this arbitrary barrier in PvE will help WS succeed and careful addition of new systems could do so in such a way that PvP is only strengthened.

#331 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

Frankly, I find this a shame: it's my opinion that trying to keep the moral ambiguity between the factions has been detrimental overall to both. It's led to a Dominion that's not as clearly reprehensible as it ought to be, and forced extremely awkward actions into Exile quests that both ring false and break immersion.

#332 Doctor Galex

Doctor Galex
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Okay.

I do hope that the Dominion gets a narrative look over (here's a discussion of faction philosophy I made), and that players are given the option to go neutral (like I suggested in this post), but I can accept this.

Edited by Doctor Galex, 29 March 2016 - 08:27 PM.

• Katriell likes this

#333 HappyArkevox

HappyArkevox
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:59 AM

Can't say I'm not disappointed with this but I hope Carbine comes up with some more flexibility in the future between the two sides. At least make communication easier. I don't think I'll be keeping up with Wildstar in the near future.

#334 Jayvi

Jayvi
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

I like it, lets all be friends! Well except chua, nobody likes chua...

To see players running away from Armageddon Rain meteors

fills you with Determination

(10 stacks)

#335 Saccharin

Saccharin
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Sounds better.

This is what I figured!

Use Rift as your model, IMO.

No, never do what Trion did.

When Trion did that they panicked, and granted carbine are in a similar situation, but Trion didn't care about their lore and when they did revamps of the classic zones they actually tried to remove as much of the faction content as they could. Trion had no integrity and added stuff in the cash shop that just destroyed lore.

If you behave like Trion you may as well call it a day.

#336 ladyKAE

ladyKAE
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

Glad to hear it!

• Bytek likes this

#337 Foul Wind

Foul Wind
  • Members
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

reminds me of a john cougar mellencamp song

When the walls
Come tumblin' down
When the walls
Come crumblin', crumblin'
When the walls
Come tumblin', tumblin'
Down
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Foul Wind - Esper Dominion - Biggy Shorty - Warrior Dominion - Klickety Klankz - Engineer Dominion - Hot Garbage - Stalker Dominion - Filth Pig - Medic Dominion - Slim Trigger - Spellslinger Dominion

Telly Kinesis - Esper Exile - Death Breath - Warrior Exile - Phaze Slayer - Stalker Exile - Shock Lock - Medic Exile - Dead Shots - Spellslinger Exile

Entity Server, 6/6 Genetic Archives, 9/9 (15/15) Datascape, 1/2 Y-83 Normal, 1/2 Y-83 Prime, 4/7 Red Moon Terror

#338 Bytek

Bytek
  • Members
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

The discussion is about dropping the barriers, not the factions. Barriers meaning the things that keep you from being able to play together, chat, grouping, etc.. Factions will still exist, an Exile cannot run into a Dominion town without the guards... ahem, "taking care of it." ;) Factions will still exist, the discussion is just about the barriers that keep players from playing together. Lore should be basically unaffected.

Thank you!!!

Based on this clarification, it seems to me that there is no real opposition to the idea of dropping the faction barrier as it was geared toward keeping the lore in tact.

Can't say I'm not disappointed with this but I hope Carbine comes up with some more flexibility in the future between the two sides. At least make communication easier. I don't think I'll be keeping up with Wildstar in the near future.

"Barriers meaning the things that keep you from being able to play together"

Carbine is saying what you seem to be wanting.  They are considering the possibility of allowing both sides to play together without affecting the lore.

Edited by Bytek, 30 March 2016 - 12:13 PM.

• Nazryn likes this

Disclaimer: Lore may be discussed in this thread. Possibilities based on lore are being suggested. These suggested possibilities should not be taken as declaration. Only actual declarations should be taken as declarations.*   "Have I gone mad? "   "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”

#339 xxviibe

xxviibe
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

U misunderstand. They arent gonna drop the factions, factions will still exist. They are just asking us to drop the stuff that keeps us from playing together. 

#340 Naunet

Naunet
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

No, never do what Trion did.

When Trion did that they panicked, and granted carbine are in a similar situation, but Trion didn't care about their lore and when they did revamps of the classic zones they actually tried to remove as much of the faction content as they could. Trion had no integrity and added stuff in the cash shop that just destroyed lore.

If you behave like Trion you may as well call it a day.

There is nothing wrong with letting factions group, join guilds, run instance, enter dimensions, and talk to each other. Why are you bringing in zone revamps and cash shop stuff when that has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunderstorm; and these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."