Photo

DevConnect: Faction Barrier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#201 Pandalulz

Pandalulz
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:48 PM

Ildur in post #25 pretty much summed up my thoughts on every question.  

• Naunet likes this

#202 Nazryn

Nazryn
  • Members
  • LocationLA (the state, not City)

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Interesting thread Pappy! Thanks for starting it and probing the community for our ideas. 

• What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

Don't. The faction conflict accounts for the major long term conflict that both underlies and drives the story. Many (most?) of the quests and tasks in the game are either explicitly or indirectly tied to that conflict; be it directly taking out the other factions forces, securing alliances and building diplomatic relations with 3rd parties to strengthen your own factions position against the other, or in competition with the other faction. It's an integral part of the story and PvE and PvP gameplay. The only thing I would add, is take the chat barrier away; it serves no substantive purpose lore or gameplay wise.

• What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier? And why?

Keep it. The majority of the discussion (on the forums at least) is both convoluted and confused about what the actual goal is. People don't mind the faction barrier proper, they just want more people to do instanced content with. This can be achieved with out touching the faction barrier at large, and just tweaking things for some instanced content. 

• If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

I would leave the faction barrier as is, but shift instanced content (Dungeons, Adventures, Expeditions, etc) to be entirely through 3rd party factions, with players acting as "contractors" for that 3rd party. Most of this content is already set up like this, including most adventures which are done on behalf of the neutral C.o.G.S., and Shiphands / Expeditions which are done through the Ekose free traders / C.o.G.S. With instanced content put under the purview of "You're a mercenary / contractor for neutral faction X working with a team of members from both factions", there's no lore or gameplay issue with having mixed faction queues / groups just for the instanced content. This doesn't tarnish the faction conflict; and achieves the main goal discussions of the faction system have beat around on the forums. I would include housing as well; as it's run by protostar (a neutral faction) there's no good reason to keep it separate, and you should be allowed to invite people to your plot regardless of faction. 

• How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

I would leave PvP largely as is; but might consider including a secondary flag. the primary flag would allow PvP between you and flagged members of the other faction. The secondary would open you to Free for All PvP with similarly flagged members of your own faction as well as flagged members of the opposing faction.

• Concluding remarks

Often times, forum discussions become entirely lost from the original premise or ideas they were built on. More often than not, even initially they are poorly constructed around an idea that is not well served by the ideas presented. There is no need to remove the faction barrier to achieve what most people believe they will gain from doing so, though it would have (IMO) largely negative effects on the games conflict and gameplay from a narrative standpoint. The best bang for your buck would be allowing (not making it mandatory) x-faction queues for instanced content and housing, removing the chat barrier, and leaving the faction barrier proper in place. Again, thanks for involving the community Pappy, this really is a rarity in AAA MMO's. You da real MVP!

Edited by Nazryn, 17 March 2016 - 01:06 PM.

• Bianchia likes this

#203 ManyFacedFool

ManyFacedFool
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

I personally wouldn't mind dropping the faction barriers. As a roleplayer, I've always acknowledged that gameplay and story aren't always the same, and can even sometimes be very contradictory,

Just don't like, screw over the Dominion any more than you already have. And, if housing is open to both factions it'd be nice to be able to set your plot to same-faction only.

• Technocrat, PlasmaJohn, Cantatus and 2 others like this

You can trust me. I'm Cassian.

#204 Project Deadpool

Project Deadpool
  • Members
  • LocationKansas

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Having been an online gamer for as long as I have been, it's been a long standing fact that game developers forced faction barriors on players as a means to keep up the rivalry of 'them vs us'.
It became so strong that it left the game itself where people were actually forcing their friends to their faction or shaming them for playing an opposing faction.  This bred an inherent toxicity in the community that took a long, long time to overcome.
Personally, the faction barriors have always seemed problematic.  When RPing, it actually breaks immersive moments rather than furthering it.  People are themselves unique and not always strict to their factions general beliefs.  We get this in our lives as well as in our movies and media ('Enemy Mine' comes specifically to mind).
One of the earliest problems that came when there was no strict faction barrior was harassment and griefing.  However, you get this within a faction as well and a simple 'ignore' feature always presented the best solution.  And as much of the communities RP happens on Skyplots, giving players the ability to moderate their own plot much in the same way as chatrooms of old would help in that regard as well.  Set Plot-owners as Head Moderators with Roommates being Middle level moderator and Neighbors being the lowest level moderator.  You could even set an option for Plot Owners to turn on and off the ability to allow opposing faction players from entering, thus keeping the players preference to make it across that line or not.

Now, despite all this...
I would just really like to play Project Deadpool with some Dominion characters and reversely, let the Exiles know the might and awesome that is Khor Edgelord.

#205 Naunet

Naunet
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

Defile, CB, NW, Blighthaven... All of these have faction specific areas with different hubs. How does faction barrier not play a role there? lol.

Let's just ignore Arcterra because it fits the narrative.

Also the all of the starting quests, because narrative.

I fail to see how being able to run instances, talk with, mail to, and visit the houses of other factions would affect any of that.

Only the Defile has any dailies to do with fighting the opposing faction, though, and it's a really cheap shot of killing your enemies when they're already down.

How do you figure faction based open world PvP and mixed faction guilds would work?

Exactly as they do in Rift.

Also in Rift, if you are flagged for PvP, you can only join groups with people of your own faction.

Edited by Naunet, 17 March 2016 - 01:54 PM.

• PlasmaJohn and HETISFRANK like this
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunderstorm; and these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

#206 Pappy

Pappy
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

Wow! The responses to this thread have been outstanding!

It's great to see all of the interesting perspectives to this question. I've been actively following the thread since last night, and have loved seeing how people feel about maintaining the balance between lore and gameplay - two issues very near and dear to my heart. ;)

Keep the responses coming! 

Pappy

Edited by Pappy, 17 March 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#207 Razhork

Razhork
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

It's great to see all of the interesting perspectives to this question. I've been actively following the thread since last night, and have loved seinge how people feel about maintaining the balance between lore and gameplay - two issues very near and dear to my heart. ;)

Pappy

Something I want to re-iterate; 

No matter the outcome, I just wanna say that there's no need to remove or water down either faction. The war between the Dominion and Exile can still exist in a capacity. 

I think a lot of people in this thread who shows concern for dropping faction barrier are more so concerned that the Dominion and Exile will be completely discontinued afterwards. If we're looking at the long term, there is still a Wildstar universe beyond the conclusion of Nexus. There is plenty of areas in which the faction vs faction can be central point and driving factor. That time is not entirely right now whilst we're focusing on the Entity as a enemy. The faction war will always be diminished when this is our primary focus on the planet. 

Edited by Razhork, 17 March 2016 - 04:34 PM.

• Azuryon88, Ildur, Cantatus and 1 other like this

Raz hork  ZhurAscendancy / Jabbit EU

Warrior DPS - the 35% rampage reset was not a lie - Illuminati II TT gone = Wildstar gone 

#208 Rambler13

Rambler13
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'm okay with factions. That said, there are some things that could improve it.

1. Make Dominion more appealing: Too much focus on the advertising has been on the Exiles, creating a lop-sided population of more Exiles then Dommies. Consider selling new players on playing as Dommies as well as Exiles. Try selling the Mechari as the bad ass opposite of the cute Aurin.

2. Cross-faction queueing: As others have said, this could help reduce queue times greatly.

3. Neutral Capital city: Consider creating a new capital city that is open to players of both factions.
  • HETISFRANK likes this

#209 Spider Bro Jenkins

Spider Bro Jenkins
  • Members
  • LocationIn Zexel's cold embrace.

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

It depends on what you mean by faction barrier. I don't mind the idea of factions existing but I don't like how this game handled Exiles vs Dominion. It's very  clear one side is heavily favored over another. I doubt you guys are going to go back and rewrite pretty everything from Whitevale and below to make Dominion more appealing to other players, so the next best thing is take down the barrier so the world doesn't feel so empty.

If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

I'm fine with capitals and various bases being off limits to the opposite faction. We shouldn't need an addon to understand one another. We should be able to queue together for instances with the option to only queue with our own faction. We should be able to raid together as well. I also want cross faction Housing, Guilds, and Circles. All this should be opt-in and not forced on players.

Questing is a tricky area because some quests are very faction specific, but I doubt Carbine is going to do a thorough sweep to only enable cross faction questing for relevant quests so I say enable both factions to quest together. We already work together for World Bosses anyway.

How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

Should stay the same as it is right now with healer issue fixed (hopefully it works). I'm also digging the "free-for-all" option others have mentioned. 

Honestly, this whole thing is reminding of beta where some players whined about cross realm instance queues. There's an option to only find players in your realm so no one was forcing you to, but they still wanted it taken out. Currently, I hear no one complaining ever about cross realm queuing so I imagine the same thing will happen with cross faction once things get settled.

Even though factions exist, this feels more like a PvE game then PvP. I could understand the faction barrier remaining if it was more PvP focused. As of right now, factions don't mean much outside of aesthetic choices anyway.

• PlasmaJohn likes this

This week's Convergence is 4 Hammers.  :P

#210 Cercie

Cercie
  • Members
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Just to re-iterate, I feel you can keep factions without having factions be a barrier to content. I love the idea of creating a neutral capital city where players can go as well as having faction capital cities. Personally, I like the idea of grouping, chatting with, mailing, sharing AH with, and generally being active cross-faction for all PVE content. Keep PVP content faction specific. We don't have to like one another to work together - certainly the real world has shown this to be true. And there can be plenty of backstabbing and such that lets us know the factions are not "all is forgiven and forgotten." 

Thank you, Pappy for starting the DevConnect series. I absolutely love this idea :D (not specifically the faction thing, just the idea of focused topics that Carbine wants to know community opinion on). 

• Naunet, PlasmaJohn, Azuryon88 and 1 other like this

Are you an Exile looking for a friendly group of gamers to travel through Nexus with? Check out The Crimson Cross.

#211 Cantatus

Cantatus
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

Something I was to re-iterate; 

No matter the outcome, I just wanna say that there's no need to remove or water down either faction. The war between the Dominion and Exile can still exist in a capacity. 

I think a lot of people in this thread who shows concern for dropping faction barrier are more so concerned that the Dominion and Exile will be completely discontinued afterwards. If we're looking at the long term, there is still a Wildstar universe beyond the conclusion of Nexus. There is plenty of areas in which the faction vs faction can be central point and driving factor. That time is not entirely right now whilst we're focusing on the Entity as a enemy. The faction war will always be diminished when this is our primary focus on the planet. 

Agreed.  Allowing Exiles and Dominion to group together doesn't hurt the story anymore than me not having my Chua speak in third-person constantly.  I feel there is a certain amount of leeway when it comes to story elements versus gameplay elements, and I think most players are intelligent enough to compartmentalize the two.  You can still understand and appreciate the story while taking advantage of cross-faction gameplay mechanics - particularly since this already commonly exists within the game.  Look at World Bosses.  Any time I've ever done them, it's been the Exile and Dominion forming a "WB Train" or farming spiders together in Ellevar.  That doesn't destroy my understanding of the game's lore, and I doubt it does for anyone else.

People are too used to the WoW design of having two hard-line separate factions and seem to think you have to choose one or the other.  Either the factions don't play together or the entire story of the game is obliterated.  They ignore many other MMOs that have been able to balance the two.  And, in the case of Wildstar, the question that most needs to be considered is:  Do you protect the integrity of the story or do you work towards a model that allows for the perception of a larger playerbase due to shorter queues and more people to play with?

Also, to be frank, I think a softer approach is the easiest and most realistic for Carbine to be able to accomplish.  There are many suggestions which, while I don't think they are bad, would take a ton of time and work.  Personally, I'd much rather Carbine spend as little time on this so they can work on adding more content to the game and focusing on more pressing issues.  I also think it's essential to have this in place prior to the Steam launch, and anything that would take a complex restructuring of Nexus would make it miss that window by a large margin.

I'll be blunt:  I love Wildstar's story.  I love the dynamics in the game, the themes.  I think the races are interesting and appreciate their diversity.  But, I love Wildstar more, and I think splitting the playerbase in two is not conducive to Wildstar's success.  While I'd love for the population to be WoW's size and capable of supporting two factions, I'm willing for sacrifices to be made if it ensures Wildstar has a healthy future ahead of it.  I'd rather have my Mechari play with Aurins than not be able to play the game at all.

• Naunet, Kaeret, Azuryon88 and 5 others like this

#212 bob rose

bob rose
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

To all who hae said to not drop the barrier: understand this is an existing issue in Wildstar currently, and is allowing the game to be dividied and it shouldn't. The only affected parts of dropping the barrier would be strictly, pve instanced content which means, really only dungeons and raids. Everything else can remain intact. And to make it cheap for folks at carbine: don't even have to change quest lines, dialogue or lore, just put it in there, the community will understand. Just let us group, queue up and talk together, between both factions, to do raid content or dungeons, and make recruiment, raiding and evyerthing else along the way more enjoyable. 

• H3rboss likes this

#213 xxviibe

xxviibe
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Just to re-iterate, I feel you can keep factions without having factions be a barrier to content. I love the idea of creating a neutral capital city where players can go as well as having faction capital cities. Personally, I like the idea of grouping, chatting with, mailing, sharing AH with, and generally being active cross-faction for all PVE content. Keep PVP content faction specific. We don't have to like one another to work together - certainly the real world has shown this to be true. And there can be plenty of backstabbing and such that lets us know the factions are not "all is forgiven and forgotten." 

Thank you, Pappy for starting the DevConnect series. I absolutely love this idea :D (not specifically the faction thing, just the idea of focused topics that Carbine wants to know community opinion on). 

It would actually help out pvp the most. I dont care if I have exiles on my team we just need the queues to be healthier.

#214 Marston

Marston
  • Members
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

What are your thoughts on dropping the faction barrier? And why?

What are your thoughts on keeping the faction barrier? And why?

I would say, from a gameplay perspective faction barriers halve the playerbase. Because of that, I would remove them. From a lore perspective - especially in Wildstar - it doesn't really make sense, since the whole lore is build around the conflict of these two factions. Now of course, by now in the story, we have the new big bad in form of The Entity. Going forward, I would definitly try to change the lore so that we slowly get to the point where both factions accept that they have to work together in order to survive this place.

If you were a developer for a day, what would your vision for what faction barriers be?

How should PvP flags factor into faction barriers, if at all?

I would do a few changes to get rid of the faction barrier. Instead of changing many of the quests with faction war etc. I would simply change the narrative at the beginning of the game, so it seems as if someone (the player) tells someone the story of his adventure from when he first arrived on Nexus. This could be done with an additional cutscene after you log your character in for the first time. Now, this "story" would basically end when the two factions finally decide to cooperate. Why are there still hostile Exile/Dominion forces? Because those are some real hardliners who simply won't accept to work with the other faction. So, while quests don't have to be changed, from a lore point of view, both factions are actually allied and the hostile NPCs are simply "outlaws" from this new alliance. This "Outlaw" thing could also be the reason why PvP still exists. While players may decide from a lore point of view, that the other faction should be killed (so serving as one of those "Outlaws"), your own faction may decide not to attack you because you are still one of them. From a gameplay point of view this would result in Exile players not being able to fight Exile Players but only Dominion Players. PvP for Battleground/Warplots could also work like this:

Either it would simply be a sort of sparring/training from a lore point of view or the enmy force would be considered outlaws (maybe with a buff that changes the appearence of all enemies within a BG/Warplot to either Exile or Dominion at the start of the game, so it still makes sense in the lore). 

All in all, I think the lore only needs a few adjustments to actually introduce this. But I think from a gameplay perspective it would make more sense to remove the faction barrier.

Edited by Marston, 17 March 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#215 Seztren

Seztren
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

It's great to see all of the interesting perspectives to this question. I've been actively following the thread since last night, and have loved seeing how people feel about maintaining the balance between lore and gameplay - two issues very near and dear to my heart. ;)

Pappy

If you guys really want to remove it but keep the lore in the game, do what I suggested earlier as a compromise. It's pretty much the ONLY way to allow cooperation without retconning all of Wildstar's Lore, which would be a horrible idea.

My suggestion:

-Only allow cross-faction cooperation in Instanced Dungeons and Raids.

-At the end of the Instance after the final boss is completed, the instance is locked, players are sealed in the boss room, locked in combat, and players cannot leave normally (receive deserter debuff if they just log out, or receive a reward upon completion, or both) and receive some form of timed debuff so Stalkers can't just hide and be dicks.

-Players are contacted by one of their faction leaders and told to murder all the opposing faction players in their party for the glory of the Dominion/Exiles! PvP flags are forced on. You got what you needed out of those rebel scum/imperial dogs, now give them a quick death.

Pros: Would be hilarious. Would support the Lore of the game. Would be just plain fun killing the other DPS/Tanking the party/trying to heal. Would feel very "Wildstar" in its comedic nature but serious undertones. Has never been done in an MMO before(?)

Cons: Might get annoying in groups of 4 Dom 1 Exile and vice versa (unless you're a good PvP player and just 1v4 them all.) Non-PvP players wouldn't care and would probably be annoying whiners. Could induce some rage. People could find ways to troll (but they always do so whatever.)

• HETISFRANK likes this

Vermana - Dominion - Mechari Female - Entity (Not by choice.) - KotK Officer

#216 Xathonn

Xathonn
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

All removing the wall should mean is that you can queue for stuff and do content cross faction. We don't need stuff like opposite faction races on the other faction or to even go into the other factions city

• Bytek, Kara_ and H3rboss like this

#217 Savio

Savio
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

keep-calm-and-drop-em-3.jpg

• Technocrat and Project Deadpool like this

#218 Kelzam Duskthorn

Kelzam Duskthorn
  • Members
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

There's way too many people in this thread acting like talk of easing the faction barriers would absolutely, 100% mean having them removed from the entire game. That's not the case here. I'll reiterate what I stated in my post: the open game world already has a shared tagging/progress system, so it needs not be touched - why are people harping on this issue? I feel like it should be obvious that they aren't going to rewrite the game and that this is an accessibility fix, if it were to happen. The objective of such a change would be to open wider access to group content by decreasing queue times or allowing players to find groups, fill raid slots and play the game. The idea isn't to walk up to the Dominion outside Galeras and ask them to "talk about it", or have Exiles freely roaming Illium.

Edited by Kelzam Duskthorn, 17 March 2016 - 05:31 PM.

• Naunet and Azuryon88 like this

Housing Trophy Wall:

ThaydFest I: Most Unique // Lifestyles 2: Best Exterior // WildStar Core Wintefest 2014 // Crimson Cross (RIP) Winterfest 2014 Best Overall // ThaydFest II Best Overall

About Me: 6/6 GA, 9/9 DS <Drow> (RIP); WildStar-Core.com (RIP) Content WriterTwitter: @kelzamgaming; Tumblr: kelzamduskthorn; Twitch: KelzamGaming; Housing Plug Parks: tinyurl.com/wsplugparks

#219 Hallowisp

Hallowisp
  • Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Personally, I think The Secret World has the best faction model I've ever seen.

Basically, all three factions can chat, quest together, trade, inspect, etc. without restriction. They can all visit all areas of the game, except for the special home base for each faction. The only place where faction becomes an issue is during the faction specific quest-line and in the designated PvP areas.

I really wish WildStar were more like this. As others have said, it seems like poor planning to halve the player population with some arbitrary system. We're already divided by region and PvE/PvP. Why divide us again? I have two good friends who play this game, and I've never been able to interact with them, because they like Dominion and I like Exile.

If people still want the factions to "mean something," then let them mean something in designated PvP zones and starter zones.

As a bare minimum, I would like to see cross-faction chat and housing. Beyond that, I'd love to see cross-faction questing, since later in the game we're all playing alongside each other anyway. If we had all three of those things, this would legitimately be my perfect game.

• PlasmaJohn and Azuryon88 like this

#220 Doctor Galex

Doctor Galex
  • Members
  • LocationIllium

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I WROTE A THING. It was written in a manic rush so YMMV.

----------

Contact with Cassus has been difficult and slow for the Dominion, but possible. Transmissions of tactical information, imperial decrees, and Artemis Zin holovids made the long journey through the void of space, and the Emperor could rest in confidence that the Dominion’s grasp over the galaxy was secure.

When the Strain was discovered, there was concern, of course. Glimpses of it reached Cassus via holovid, but the true extent of its nature was heavily downplayed.

…Then transmissions from Cassus stopped completely. The ICI worked to hide this fact from the populace, but rumors soon began to spread anyway when Protostar shipments to the planet began to trickle to a stop (a phenomenon felt equally by the Exiles.).

Then the ships began to appear in orbit. Massive black arkships, decked in the symbols of the Seventh Scion, Chaul. All weapons aimed at the planet’s surface. A single message was broadcast to every datachron on the planet.

“BY ORDER OF THE EMPEROR, THE PLANET NEXUS HAS BEEN DEEMED IRREVOCABLY CONTAMINATED. PREPARE FOR ERADICATION”.

…This, naturally, came as a surprise to Illium

Unbeknownst to even Axis Pheydra, forces had been working on Cassus against the Emperor’s power. Members of House Chaul… the Ghost House, wiped from the history books, had been subtly incorporating themselves into Cassus’s surrogate government, waiting for an opportunity to strike. Information on the Strain (leaked by a rogue member of the Royal Collegium) was their golden opportunity.

Nexus, they claimed, had been abandoned by the Eldan due to this sinful corruption, and now the Emperor and all of the brave citizens that had ventured to the throneworld were irrevocably lost, and a threat to the Dominion’s stability. Soon, the phage would spread across the galaxy and infect all known worlds! …Unless it was destroyed at its source.

House Chaul wept no tears over the loss of Nexus. Cassus was always the real prize, and the destruction of the Emperor, the Church, the Strain, and the Exiles in a single swoop would be worth the collateral damage. The Dominion had unwittingly bared its throat to its enemies, who were poised to strike the lethal blow.

The so called Ghost Legion’s initial assaults were tactical, targeting military installations across Nexus. The Dominion were hit the hardest, unused to defending themselves against the overwhelming force leveraged by their unexpected foes. Salvation, it seemed, would have to come from an unexpected (and loathsome) source… The Exiles.

The Exiles were used to fighting the Dominion, and the difference between Emperor Myrcalus and House Chaul was a moot point to them; Dommies, after all, were dommies. They suffered at the hands of the Ghost Legion’s initial tactical strikes, but their infrastructure was well hidden, their city nigh-impenetrable, and their grit… really gritty. They had pulled through worse, and were confident in their ability to survive this new onslaught.

But not even the Exiles could survive on an exploded planet. Once the Ghost Legion unleashed their full power against the planet, Nexus would be doomed.

It was the Caretaker that brought the two sides together. The Eldan Construct had long been working behind the scenes with members of both factions, in the hopes of leveraging their combined forces against the Strain. Much to his frustration, however, the organics were much too angry and stupid to set aside their differences.

…The threat of total planetary annihilation was too much to ignore, however. Not only would doing so completely destroy him and all of the research he was designed to protect, but it would also inevitably fail to kill the Genesis Prime, unleashing it on an unsuspecting universe with no way of stopping it. This would be, in short, an unacceptable outcome. Despite their deep rooted hatred of one another, the two factions were inclined to agree.

It was a combined force that drove back the Ghost Legion; Exile Ingenuity, Dominion Might, and a smattering of Eldan Planetary Defense systems. In the end though, Nexus was saved.

Victory was bittersweet, however… both the Exiles and the Dominion were severely weakened, the False Emperor remained in control of Cassus, and his forces soon began a ground campaign against the planet. Illium was cut off from the larger Dominion power structure, and its citizens found themselves in the curious position of being… Exiled.

Thus began the strangest of alliances. It was never exactly friendly (the hostilities went too deep for that), and was constantly under threat from forces both internal and external… but it was the only chance at survival Nexus had.

A follow up of this, with MORE STUFF.

In the new model, the tutorial zones would remain roughly the same, establishing the Exile-Dominion conflict. The four starter zones would also be roughly the same, but would place an increased emphasis on the threat of House Chaul. The Dead Luminai storyline in Deradune would be expanded, and lore regarding the rogue scion would be placed in Ellevar. Exiles would find evidence of a rogue Dominion faction in Algoroc and Celestion.

The cross faction transition process would take place at level 14, as part of revamped versions of Galeras and Hycrest, where House Chaul reveals itself at full force. The finale takes place in an Expedition, where your character saves Nexus and establishes the alliance between the factions.

Depending on your place on the story, the follow up quest would go differently. If you’re on a new character, both factions will demand to know what led House Chaul to make their attack (leading into Alpha Complex). If you’ve completed the story step “Straining to be Heard”, the faction leaders will implicate the Strain as a potential reason. If you’ve completed Omnicore-1, the Strain will be the OBVIOUS REASON. Regardless, hints would be placed indicating that info on the Strain was being leaked to House Chaul.

Not all members of each faction are willing to cooperate. In particular, Durek Stonebreaker and Kezrek Warbringer are unwilling to end the conflict and go renegade, creating two splinter factions (Durek’s Destroyers and Clan Warbringer) that occasionally clash with their parent factions, but aren't entirely unsupported either. These splinter factions would represent the remnants of the classic Exile/Dominion Conflict. Players could declare an affiliation with one of these factions while flagging, and gain increased rewards. Players could also choose to declare allegiance to the Marauders for even greater booty, at the risk of being targettable by anyone. (No one likes Marauders, not even other Marauders).

Sgt. Kara and Toric Antevelian take control of their faction’s respective "friendly" militaries; the ones that don't want to rip out everyone else's throats.

Instances of enemy Dominions or Exiles are replaced with either House Chaul forces, or members of one of the various splinter factions (Durek's Destroyer's, Clan Warbringer, Thorns of Arboria, etc).

NPCs of the various factions would definitely not be friendly. Not at first. As time goes on, a few individual cases of it would emerge, but it would be a tense, awkward transition. Optional quests to distrupt or discredit members of the opposite faction would still exist, although they wouldn't go as far as murder (unless they were PVP quests given out by one of the splinter factions). NPCs of the opposite faction's races would have a limited presence in each others' cities, but wouldn't really be welcomed. It's possible for this to change over time, or for a third "neutral" hub to eventually open up somewhere, but that's beyond the scope of this change. 

• For PVEers, the barrier would effectively just be gone. You could guild, circle, queue, and quest with anyone, regardless of faction.
  • For PVPers, there would still be a lore justification for PVP. Perhaps even a stronger one than we have now. You could choose to retain your effective faction, or just go lone wolf and fight anyone you'd like.
  • For RPers, there would be a lore justification for the merger that hopefully doesn't invalidate the faction conflict. Tensions still exist, and there are opportnities for conflict RP to continue. Think of it as being like the conflict between the Charr and the Humans in GW2: there are still prominent rogue factions that want to continue the conflict (and do, in RP), but whether or not you choose to is a choice. Does your character choose to focus on the larger threats (The Strain and House Chaul), or are they unable to let go of their old grudges? 

ANYWAY. I hope this bit of fan fiction served to get the creative juices flowing. I'm looking forward to see what's ACTUALLY done!

Edited by Doctor Galex, 17 March 2016 - 07:43 PM.

• Naunet and Peppercorn like this