Hey Everyone -
We've written a news post about improving the game experience, reducing lag, and improving queues by introducing new realms. Read all about our planned changes and leave us your thoughts below.
Thanks again for all of your patience, we truly appreciate it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Realms, Realm Transfers, and Mergers
- When will the temporary realms be merged back?
- We will merge the realms back together into Megaservers as soon as possible, but we need to fix our Megaserver technology to be able to support more players. As stated in the announcement, this split is a temporary measure to alleviate latency and queues.
- Will realm transfers be available? Will they be free?
- Yes, and yes – but there are limitations. You can move any number of characters you want as many times as you want, but each character can only be moved once every 7 days. Also, players can only transfer from sister realm to sister realm – e.g. Entity to Entity-2 or Jabbit to Jabbit-2.
- What is the plan for character names on the newly created realms if they will be merged back into the original ones?
- Character names that are already taken will be unavailable, and therefore will be unaffected when we merge the Realms back together.
- How will player names work?
- All character and guild names will be shared between the Realms. Thus a character named Chua Lover present on Entity would have the name reserved on Entity-2.
- If I transfer to a temporary realm, can I play with my friends from the source realm?
- Although we plan to merge these realms later, they are separate realms for now and so you would not be able to play with players from the other realm, except in cross-realm content, specifically those matched via the content finder.
- Where will the new realms be physically located?
- The machines running these new realms will be in the same datacenters we use today in Dallas, TX and Frankfurt, Germany.
- Any ETA on how long the temporary realms will need to be up?
- Until everything is stabilized, and we’re confident that the merger will not present more issues.
- Will realm first achievements be available on the expansion realms? Will they merge back into the source realms?
- All current realm first achievements will be available on the expansion realms. If a realm first achievement is earned on an expansion realm, it will be retained when that realm merges, even if that realm first has already been earned on the source realm. It's okay to have multiple holders of a realm first achievement; the realm first achievement for defeating Avatus in the original Datascape is held by 40 players.
- Will the Auction House / Commodities Exchange be linked between source and expansion realms?
- While the realms remain separated, so will their economies. Once the realms merge, their AH and CX will merge as well.
- Does the 7 day cooldown still apply when I have moved my characters between Realms?
- Yes, upon moving your character into an expansion realm, you will be unable to move it back to a source realm for 7 days. All normal realm transfer rules apply – please see this KB article for more information.
- How long does it takes for my characters to be effectively moved?
- It can take between 15 minutes and 24 hours.
- I am receiving the error message “My character is busy” when I am trying to initiate a Realm transfer?
- We have a very good Realm Transfer FAQ that can be accessed here.
Characters and Creation
- Will I still be able to talk to my friends on the other realms, or do I have to transfer?
- There is cross realm chatting in the game and whispering between account friends. That works across realms.
- Is this temporary, or a long term solution?
- This is temporary solutions that helping to alleviate the issue of realm lag and increased queue times while we work on a permanent/long term solution.
- Will characters be copied over to the 2nd realm?
- No characters will be copied over at this time, and the new realms will be a clean slate for a period of time. Players will however be able to freely transfer their characters for a short time.
- Will there be a lock on Entity to prevent players from making new characters there?
- Not at all.
- If I make characters on both servers and they merge, will I be able to keep all of my characters?
- If you make more characters than your account is allowed between both realms (i.e. two characters on Entity, and two characters on Entity 2), when the servers are merged together you’ll have all of them and you’ll be able to play them. However, should you ever delete those characters, unless you changed your account to Signature status or bought extra Character slots, those character slots will no longer be available.
- What about region locking?
- Players can log into NA or EU at will, although your character data will be separate. Account items waiting to be claimed may be claimed in either region, but once in your account inventory they are bound to that region. Cosmic Rewards are applied to every character on your account, so those will automatically be waiting for you on any character you create in either region. Signature status applies to your account in both regions.
Edited by CRB_Sunshine, 02 October 2015 - 06:49 PM.