Photo

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hey everyone!

One of the improvements we did to the world was in improving what Discoveries give you and adding some fun things for players to chase. This is an overview of what we did:

• Drastically increased the rate of discovery spawns in the world
  • Unified the buffs given so the Primal Matrices feel powerful and worthwhile
  • Added cosmetic items to the possible discoveries:
    • Nine different costumes, one per level band up to 50 (and then two costumes at 50)
    • A unique pet per zone starting at the level 6-14 zones

Some of you have already been out there farming discoveries, and that's great! I'm looking for information and feedback on what we're giving out. If you could pitch in feedback based on the following questions (or anything else you can think of) that would be great!

General

• How does the spawn rate feel? Too fast? Too slow? Can you find one eventually if you're looking for one?
  • Are there any zones you feel have too few (or too many) potential spawn spots?

Buffs

• Do the buffs feel like they make a difference (particularly when leveling)?
  • Is there any buff you feel is particularly powerful or weak?

Loot

• What do you think of the path-themed bags that give you runecrafting supplies, etc.?
  • How is the rate of costume finding when hunting them down?
  • Are there any issues with the new costumes or pets?
  • How quickly did you find pets? (They're supposed to be quite rare and seem to be a bit too common right now.)

Thanks in advance for your feedback and in helping test this revamped feature!

#2 Kelzam Duskthorn

Kelzam Duskthorn
  • Members
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

General:

-Spawn rate felt good in Whitevale and Galeras.  Farside felt slow on the respawn, but I was only on the surface, and couldn't find anything in the two Biodomes (been long enough I can't recall if I ever saw any in the Biodomes anyway?)

-Malgrave felt like it had way too few.  I was out there at around 2 AM for about an hour last night and only found two Discoveries. I think part of it is just how large the zone is, even not considering R-12. The Defile felt a bit low, as well.  I haven't spent long in West or Southern Grimvault but I'm going to guess it's the same case up there.

Buffs:

-They definitely felt powerful on my low level character when I got off the Arkship.

-Didn't notice any that felt like it was over or under-tuned.

Loot:

-I got runecrafting supplies a lot more than anything else while farming them, which seems to make sense since you can't have more than one of the Matrices. I'm neutral on them as rune stuff like signs and fragments are already so easy to get. The one exception was getting a Fusion rune one time.

-On the PTR it feels okay.  I got the Hazmat Suit pieces after about 5-7 discoveries, each. That was farming by myself, though. I'm concerned for the live server environment. I think when this goes live and a lot of players are hunting for these, there's a good chance the spawn rate of costumes could become an issue as many high level people are racing to open Discoveries for the pets and costumes.  The spawn worries in larger, high level zones would probably compound this issue. I think spawn rates and number of spots should be really generous in larger zones (especially Elder Game daily zones).

-No issues with the costumes or pets, themselves)

-I farmed for quite a while and have yet to farm a pet, so from my perspective they seem quite rare.

Other Feedback:

-The cave under Nibben's Fields that one of the Discovery teleports in Galeras takes you to has an incomplete model.  Screenshots for reference:

Spoiler

Edited by Kelzam Duskthorn, 14 August 2015 - 03:13 PM.

• Khandi likes this

Housing Contests: ThaydFest I: Most Unique // Lifestyles 2: Best Exterior // WildStar Core Wintefest 2014 // Crimson Cross (RIP) Winterfest 2014 Best Overall // ThaydFest II Best Overall

About Me: 6/6 GA, 9/9 DS <Drow> (RIP); 7/7 RMT <The Flying Pandas>; WildStar-Core.com (RIP) Content WriterTwitter: @kelzamgaming; Tumblr: kelzamgaming; Twitch: KelzamGames;
Check out my guides and content at QueueTimes.com! Fresh Level 50 Player Guide: tinyurl.com/wsfresh50guide

#3 Mayor DasMoose

Mayor DasMoose
  • Members
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Kel pretty much covered it. You know it reflects what I've said pretty spot on.

I mentioned in the past the caves and event discoveries feel a bit... useless for higher ups. My only concern there is it feels a bit wasted when running by it. But depending on the low level population come f2p, that might now be a concern at all. Time will tell!

P.S. Thanks for the forehead goggles!

Small Edit: I have begun farming Wilderrun. I apologize in advance for any screaming you might hear all the way from there from me running around this zone!

Edited by Mayor DasMoose, 14 August 2015 - 04:11 PM.

• beattlebilly and Khandi like this
This forum post is brought to you by the Re-Elect Mayor DasMoose committee. Remember, a vote for DasMoose is a vote for the secret military police not to break in to your house at night and put a black bag over your head, taking you to a secret prison where you'll never be seen again!

#4 Brutzkrieg

Brutzkrieg
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

Let's keep track of what costumes and pets come from where.

#5 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Let's keep track of what costumes and pets come from where.

I'll link ya to Moose's developing imgur album, since he's been keepin' track. ;)

#6 Daxter Jax

Daxter Jax
  • Members
  • LocationFL

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

I agree with Kelzam's points above.

I had no trouble finding spawns in Galeras, but mostly only found buffs and runecrafting bags. It took well over an hour before I found a costume piece (but then I found 3 in about 10 minutes, all were boots  :P) The pet spawned a lot, considering it's supposed to be rare. I found about 3 or 4 and saw several more that others had found waiting to be claimed. It would be nice if they were BoE, but it's still neat that they'll stay spawned until someone comes to claim it.

The surface of Farside had a decent amount of spawns, but most of the ones I found were near the giant asteroid and the area where you chase down and capture that bad guy for Spiro. Mostly buffs and one pet -- but I only spent about an hour hunting there.

Last night I tried Wilderrun and after almost an hour found about 2 or 3 Discoveries. It's a HUGE zone and there's lots of mountains or obstacles blocking your path, so it wasn't easy getting to the ones I did find. Is it possible to break down the spawns into each subzone and have a set number spawn in each? This might help out with the issues Kelzam mentioned for Malgrave too.

Also, this has become my new favorite mini-game.

UPDATE: (~40 mins in Crimson Badlands) the spawn rate here feels good, but they're mostly in the Dommie areas. Most seem clustered right around the Megatech Shield Generator/Venombite Pass/Bloodstone Canyon area. I found 2 spawn points on the Savage Coast, one WAY off the map to the west (on a tiny island near some elites), and only one in Aggregor's Gulch. I found nothing further north than that after several laps around the map. I found maybe 15-20 total, all buffs, 1 broken scanbot and 1 soldier's rucksack.

Edited by Daxter Jax, 14 August 2015 - 08:12 PM.

Daxter Jax (Entity, Exiles)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/eldanmonster

#7 Greyn

Greyn
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:21 AM

Hey,

first of all: I really realllllyyy reallllllyyyy like the improvement of this system! I´ve always said discoveries are a cool feature but carbine hasn´t done enough with them!
So I´m really looking forward to these changes.

I´ve always liked the discoveries which start an event. It would be nice to see some more of them with better rewards. Until now the rewards for events were ... very boring!

Same for these "rabbit hole" discoveries!

Greetings!

#8 SamuraiKav

SamuraiKav
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

I spent about 30 minutes in Blighhaven running around everywhere and found none.  I did question Moose and Caydium on twitter about the ones I found that I thought might be sunken locations but don't believe that's the case after discussions.

Twitter: @Samuraikav  

Formerly of WildStar-Core.com

Officer for Alea Iacta Est (aie-guild.org)

#9 Shoogli

Shoogli
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:23 AM

General

• How does the spawn rate feel? Too fast? Too slow? 

Spawn rate seems ok so far, except some zones feel devoid or lacking, more on this below.

• Can you find one eventually if you're looking for one?

Yes on the zones that have "enough" spawn nodes, AND, when you get to know them it is on average 4-5 minutes to find one (BUT that's when you're the only one scourring the zone like it is now on PTR)

• Are there any zones you feel have too few (or too many) potential spawn spots?

Celestion : seems stingy, except around the swordmaiden plateau (with jumping geysers around) which is fine.

Algoroc : is fine.

Deradune : is fine.

Galeras : is fine.

Whitevale : is fine.

Farside : seems fine but there should be some on the plateaus above (to prmote exploration) since gravity makes it easy to jump there, and also maybe put a few around the big asteroids in the middle.

Malgrave : is fine on the south-east part, stingy everywhere else.

Wilderrun : not tried there enough, didn't find any, or maybe just one, seems stingy.

South-Grimvault : is a bit below average, but I didn't try enough.

North (western) Grimvault : is ok around Cryomere, but stingy in the other parts.

Blighthaven : didn't find any. Found a few today... Not many yet.

Defile : is okay around the sonic plazze and the spider kingdom, didn't find any around the black focus.

Northern Waste : didn't find any.

Crismson island : is fine

Buffs

Can't say, I rarely used them.

Ditto.

Loot

• What do you think of the path-themed bags that give you runecrafting supplies, etc.?

I'm lvl 50 so can't tell how I would have felt if I had found them at lvl.

It seems fine, rare enough so that when you finally find one you go : "YAY !!!"  :lol:

Not seen any so far.

• How quickly did you find pets? (They're supposed to be quite rare and seem to be a bit too common right now.)

I've spent hours in all the zones I listed above and only found two (Deradune Crocodile & Whitevale Pumera), and another I got (Galeras Buzzbing) was because Moose found it and told me to teleport asap to get it too. But this was over the course of 3 days with an average of skateboarding for 5-6 hours doing only that : looking for the discovery nodes.

EDIT : 

• Additional feedback

Whenever the discovery was a cave or a lab and I was supposed to kill X mobs, I always ended up with one remaining mob to kill while there was none left in the entire place. So no way to get the reward in those places to see if it would sometimes be switched for a costume piece of the sets, for example. 

The caves/labs with other goals do work and can be completed though (Loftyte grab, Protostar savior, etc...), it's only the "kill X" that can't be completed.

Edited by Shoogli, 16 August 2015 - 06:26 PM.

-Shoogli  ^_^

(is on DeviantArt now... Just sayin' !)

(Spoof art, featuring Carbine staff  :lol: )

#10 Mayor DasMoose

Mayor DasMoose
  • Members
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for linking my album, Caydiem! Appreciate that, and hope it helps folks. And a huge thank you to both Shoogli and Brutzkrieg for helping me on that, as well!

Today I shall continue my hunt through Wilderrun..... if I don't return, tell my family to just wait longer.

Serious note though. With the larger zones such as Malgrave / Grimvault(s), or the less than optimal hunting zones such as Wilderrun.... it wouldn't be that upseting if spawn times were increased just a tad! *eye twitch*

Not that I'm slowly losing my mind to a black void of madness or anything! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAheh

• Shoogli likes this
This forum post is brought to you by the Re-Elect Mayor DasMoose committee. Remember, a vote for DasMoose is a vote for the secret military police not to break in to your house at night and put a black bag over your head, taking you to a secret prison where you'll never be seen again!

#11 Nioehn

Nioehn
  • Members
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

I spent a couple hours total searching for discoveries in a handful of zones. I found perhaps 2 in Whitevale, 2 in Malgrave, 1 in all of the greater Grimvault area, not a thing found in Blighthaven. Auroria had 2. I found no costumes or pets, 1 discovery in Malgrave had a chest containing runecrafting items, which seemed odd and helpful at the same time. Lots of buff things, no events/caves. I took one of the buffs but never used it. Typically I enjoy treasure hunting sort of content, not so much currently. Maybe it's just that lots of us are out searching, but I did not see another player during the hunt. That said, this is initial impression. I don't think I've spent enough time, so off to give it another go in Dominion areas.

Edited by Nioehn, 15 August 2015 - 11:32 AM.

Keru Whispersong - Aurin DPS Stalker - Entity

<What Does the Lopp Say>

@@Keruxyz

#12 Thiefje

Thiefje
  • Members
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

General

• How does the spawn rate feel? Too fast? Too slow? Can you find one eventually if you're looking for one?

Overall okay, some don't seem to spawn as frequently as others though.

But that could be coincidence since ohers looking around for them as well.

Uhh... yes.... from the areas I've visited they are as follows:

- Galeras is choke full of discoveries, could easily find several discoveries in minutes, especially in the south-west, central and eastern sections of the map, much less so in the North where the Dominion base is.

- Crimson Badlands, fine. Got both a pet (Sand Dune Scrab) and a costume piece pretty quickly there.

- Algoroc, fine, ran into some costume piece and pet pretty quikcly.

- Deradune, fine (didn't spend a lot of time there though).

- Celestion, on the low side, and for the ones  I did find most were stat enhancers or events (drop pod attacks) and one cave that had a vendor in it  :o, but there was nothing special which she sold though.

- Wilderrun, a few spots I could find and visit quite often, but it's seriously insufficient, 95% stat enhancers, 1 pet and some small events. One of the discoveries also turned into a teleporter once that was bugged (have submitted a report with the /bug thingy).

- Malgrave, found a meagre amount of locations compared to how big Malgrave is, just like Wilderrun, mostly stat enhancers, a few drop attacks and finally 1 costume piece (from the Trademan's outfit). Some discovery locations also seemed to spawn a lot more often then others.

Buffs

Didn't level

Not really.

Loot

Kinda neutral on this, but it can't do any harm I suppose.

Depends a lot on the area, when there's a good amount of discoveries it's okay, but the ones seriously lacking them (such as Malgrave and Wilderrun), that's when madness does start to kick in and finding costume pieces becomes close to impossible.

Nope, but hard to tell if they can be so difficult to find.  :P

When I returned for a visit to the Crimson Badlands the first discovery I opened had a Scrab pet in it, that might have been a one-hit wonder though.

Bumped into a pet in Algoroc after some searching, seemed after a reasonable time though, guess it depends on how rare you consider rare to be (2 hours search, 6 hours search, 2 days, a week, eternity).

The only other I found was in Wilderrun after a maddening search that took hours, it's also the only costume/pet loot item I've found there after searching that area.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and in helping test this revamped feature!

One last thing actually, at the moment there only seems to be a relatively small number of people testing this, if this goes to live with the current drop rates and hundreds of others also start their pet/costume search this will probably turn into a nightmare.

Edited by Thiefje, 15 August 2015 - 11:56 AM.

Characters || Varash Lightningstorm - Esper || Kaiynn Twilighthunter - Stalker || Kyllar Dusklight - Spellslinger || Myosh Dusklight - Engineer ||

Server || Jabbit EU ||           Communities || Mystwood Forest || Spaceport M92 ||           Faction || Exiles ||

#13 Greyn

Greyn
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

I walked around Blighthaven and Grimvault for 30 minutes today and found ... 1 Discovery with a buff station...

#14 VRo

VRo
  • Members
  • LocationMalgrave

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

How does the spawn rate feel?
Low level (northern wilds > algoroc > galeras) feels all right. I've found a pet, two costumes, and a few caves with kill x enemies. With only one other person in each map (that I knew of) spawn rate seemed good, but with the influx of f2p players, it may seem a bit frustrating battling for them

Do the buffs feel like they make a difference (particularly when leveling)?
Yes, I always grab buffs on live and I grabbed them on PTR too. I'm not sure what all you tweaked with them but they at least felt as strong as usual and procced pretty often

What do you think of the path-themed bags that give you runecrafting supplies, etc.?
I felt a little disappointed when that was all that dropped

How is the rate of costume finding when hunting them down?
Took me about 40 mins to an hour to find costume pieces, but after the first one I found another one a few minutes later. Didn't feel like it was taking too long. In fact, I expected it to take much longer Very happy with the time it takes to find costumes

Are there any issues with the new costumes or pets?
None that I'm aware of

How quickly did you find pets? (They're supposed to be quite rare and seem to be a bit too common right now.)
A pet was actually the first thing I found. It seemed to be leftover from a discovery someone else found. It was a bird in algoroc. That's the only pet I found from northern wilds to galeras, though!

Extra feedback:

The caves where you kill x mobs seemed to be bugged in that they always claimed I had 1 remaining mob to kill. I submitted some bug reports each time this happened. I do like that there is a treasure chest in each of these instances that I did, though! Not sure if those have always been there but I never found the chests on live. (the floating chests) It feels more rewarding to do these now thanks to that. I'm not sure if any other reward is granted after completing these due to the "1 remaining" bug as mentioned.

The runecrafting bags and stuff might feel less disappointing (I feel a bit like I feel when I get a crafting bag from a challenge on live - disappointed!) if you also included a small satchel of omnibits or something with these, just make them more rare.

Oh, and thanks for putting the head goggles back in the game! YAY! I LOVE the fact costumes come from discoveries again! You know the goggles-over-eyes that maintenance workers are wearing on the live arkship? The welding goggles or whatever they have on their face? Please put those goggles in a discovery too ;) I already found Colonist's Goggles, and I'd love to add EVEN MORE goggles to my collection! hehe~

Healing world bosses for fun since 2015 -- Esper / Medic / Spellslinger
Evindra ~ Mikros ~ Orias! Oreos!
Infected Scab: can someone show me where the portal is to wildside?

#15 Thiefje

Thiefje
  • Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

Oh, and thanks for putting the head goggles back in the game! YAY! I LOVE the fact costumes come from discoveries again! You know the goggles-over-eyes that maintenance workers are wearing on the live arkship? The welding goggles or whatever they have on their face? Please put those goggles in a discovery too ;) I already found Colonist's Goggles, and I'd love to add EVEN MORE goggles to my collection! hehe~

You mean these I suppose? http://i58.tinypic.com/2n8bu9t.png

If so, those are the goggles from the Tradesman costume (which consists of all the clothing pieces in the preview), it's obtained from discoveries in Malgrave.

Edited by Thiefje, 15 August 2015 - 09:02 PM.

• VRo likes this

Characters || Varash Lightningstorm - Esper || Kaiynn Twilighthunter - Stalker || Kyllar Dusklight - Spellslinger || Myosh Dusklight - Engineer ||

Server || Jabbit EU ||           Communities || Mystwood Forest || Spaceport M92 ||           Faction || Exiles ||

#16 Brutzkrieg

Brutzkrieg
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

You mean these I suppose? http://i58.tinypic.com/2n8bu9t.png

If so, those are the goggles from the Tradesman costume (which consists of all the clothing pieces in the preview), it's obtained from discoveries in Malgrave.

MOTHER OF PEARL I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT CHEST PIECE.

I need me a barkeep-friendly chestpiece sooo bad!

#17 Thiefje

Thiefje
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

MOTHER OF PEARL I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT CHEST PIECE.

I need me a barkeep-friendly chestpiece sooo bad!

Well like I mentioned, it's a preview of the Tradesman costume, all pieces of which are obtained from discoveries in Malgrave so you'll just have to go and look there :P

The name of the chest piece is Trademan's Apron

Edited by Thiefje, 16 August 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#18 FrankT800

FrankT800
  • Members
  • LocationPhantom Zone

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

General

A: The spawn rate does seem consistant with them though I think when they go live it may be needed to be increased since I fear a lot of people will be hunting these a long with general members of the public.

A: That depends, the mobs near the discoveries aren't usually too many i.e. 2 or 3 at the best however, I am coming across discoveries where you get transported to a zone and you have to exterminate everything which is quite difficult to do when theres one left to kill and it's literally no where to be found. (Though I've only been Discovery Hunting in Galeras so I can't really say for the other zones I'm hunting Head Goggles!)

Buffs

A: considering I don't generally use these often I am finding them more often than naught.

Loot

A: I find these to be more common than the common cold that and buff stations

A: I have not been as lucky as the others and usually when I do find a costume piece it's usually the same piece I got last. I want the Head Goggles so bad right now, but my concerns when drop 6 goes live most costume pieces from discoveries will be astronimically expensive in the AH.

A: Not that I have found so far, although saying that I've only found 1 Pet and 1 Costume Piece (Colonist Steel Toe Boots)

A: As previously mentioned I've only been able to find one pet I mostly come across Buff Stations and Path related discoveries.

Hope this helps! :)

Now if you'll exscuse me, back to hunting those blasted Head Goggles! >.<

Edited by FrankT800, 16 August 2015 - 07:55 AM.

The Frankie Family - Frankie Turbo   // Level 50 // Aurin // Esper        // Scientist

Frank Turbo    // Level 36 // Aurin // Spellslinger // Soldier

Franky Turbo  // Level 24 // Human // Warrior      // Settler

#19 sinclair-wildstar

sinclair-wildstar
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

General

• How does the spawn rate feel? Too fast? Too slow? Can you find one eventually if you're looking for one? - For the most part, yes. In about an hour(?) of running around in Galeras I found somewhere in the range of 30, I think? EDIT: I just got done exploring both Domes and the surface of Farside and, oddly enough, didn't see any.
  • Are there any zones you feel have too few (or too many) potential spawn spots? - Couldn't say just yet.

Loot

• What do you think of the path-themed bags that give you runecrafting supplies, etc.? - Not exactly "useful" on the lvl 50 I was using to search for things, but during leveling I can see those coming in handy
  • How is the rate of costume finding when hunting them down? - Not good. Out of the 30 (rough estimate) discovery sites I found they only yielded two costume pieces. Which is extra aggravating given that they're the only reason I was actually farming them. Given that I already have to search the landscape for these things and (potentially) fight my way to them the whole RNG aspect just seems like unnecessary added difficulty. And that's here on the PTR. Factoring in Kezlam's worries and I think it's only going to be worse on the Live servers.
  • How quickly did you find pets? - Okay, this is the first I'm even hearing of pets from the discoveries so I'm guessing you've got the drop rate right about where you want it for that.

Edited by sinclair-wildstar, 16 August 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#20 the infamous Brad

the infamous Brad
  • Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

I made a new character, spent around 2-3 hours in Deradune from Bloodfire Village up to and a bit past, oh, what's it's name, the level 10 quest hub where Mondo is, including the entire shore on the west side, with an explorer, so dropping my own flags to open more discoveries. And I saw at least one other explorer running around the same area. In that whole time I only saw three discoveries: two primal pattern buffs and one piece of green equipment. So the drop rate definitely feels stingy to me.

One of the things that I hope you've considered is that people are going to want these costumes and that pet. And the last thing on earth you want is level 50's in level 120 gear spending hours cruising around a starter zone; nobody will be able to complete any challenges, and may not be able to complete missions. It'd be another thing if, like Guild Wars 2, moving into an area auto-mentored you down to its level, but with people 40 levels above the zone level spending hours farming it, this could get really bad, really quickly. So I hope you set the drop rate high enough that people are statistically likely to get the whole costume and the pet by the time they outlevel the zone.

Edited by the infamous Brad, 16 August 2015 - 06:33 PM.

• Mayor DasMoose likes this