New Class Lead

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#1 Moja

Moja
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey everyone!

I’m Moja, and I’ll be taking over as the class lead for the Warrior moving forward.

A little bit about me… Up ‘til now at Carbine I’ve worked on a variety of features for Wildstar, including housing plugs and expeditions, Warplot bosses, and a number of dungeons and bosses, including portions of the new 20-man Datascape conversion and Ultimate Protogames.

I wanted to share a few design goals for improving the Warrior and give you an idea of what the future holds:

• Competitive choices for abilities and AMPs: Players should have to make tough decisions when crafting builds. Ideally, every ability, ability tier, and AMP will be useful and awesome.
  • Supporting a variety of playstyles and player choice: Going with the above, our goal is to give you interesting choices and allow you to build a variety of ways for each role. For example, Rampage is an awesome skill, but it shouldn’t always be the best DPS choice for every situation.
  • Creating interesting rotations and gameplay: In the past, Warriors have been stuck with a 2-3 button core DPS rotation, which can get pretty boring after a while. We would like to give experienced players more options when it comes to pushing out those extra bits of damage from more complex rotations, while still keeping the class approachable for newer players.
  • Balance: Our goal is to keep classes competitive in all roles. We want the player to pick the class for the fun playstyle and not because of an obvious imbalance.
  • Being active on the forums: We want to keep an open dialogue with you guys, and I will be a direct point of contact for feedback and any issues you may have on the forums. This means the other class devs and I will do our best to actively monitor the forums for hot-button issues or bugs.

Note: This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. We won’t be able to make all these changes overnight, and the class will continue to evolve over the foreseeable future. I just wanted to share the general direction you can expect.

Now with all that said, I wanted to get some feedback from you!

1. What do you like most about the warrior, and why?
  2. What do you like least about the warrior, and why?
  3. If you could improve one thing about the warrior, what would it be?
  4. Are there any outstanding bugs or issues with the warrior that seem to have slipped through the cracks? Please try to provide as much detail as possible.
  5. Do you have any questions for me? :)

I’m looking forward to working with all of you to make the warrior awesome! Fire away!

#2 Lemurian

Lemurian
  • Guests
  • LocationME

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

You kind of sideways addressed this, but I'd like to state it as my own explicit desire.

If there are going to be Hybrid Amp trees, then please do your best to at least make Hybrid builds that won't be simply laughed out of town. They'd need to bring something to the table that neither pure build can, be that enhanced Utility or just added sustainability or the ability to step into either pure role on the fly.

(theoretically this is my desire for all classes, but since you're here as an offer of a sort of fresh start, I'm saying my piece)

• DoctorCorvex likes this

"Unfortunately, Lemurian has it right." -BusterCasey

Worst Forum Lurker Ever

#3 Ghenesis

Ghenesis
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

1. What do you like most about the warrior, and why?  Warriors are a good, solid, in-your-face DPS class and role. They always have been a more generic and simplistic class to play.
  2. What do you like least about the warrior, and why? Warriors are a more simplistic class to play and Wildstar is introducing a new and "innovative" way to go about a warrior. It's more prominent in the Drop 4 where we are forced to use tremor and/or savage strikes to reset our rampages. I feel as if this new change is not a bad one and would even be favorable if they moves themselves were more able to be flawlessly put into an practical rotation. 
  3. If you could improve one thing about the warrior, what would it be?  As of now on Wildstar's live servers warriors are actually very balanced in my own opinion. I say this knowing full well that warriors are almost always topping DPS charts in all kinds of raids be it 20 or 40 man. I also know that warriors in battlegrounds and/or arenas are also stacked because of our ability to cleave. However first of all, I don't see why a warrior wouldn't be able to top dps charts in PvE because of their ability to take more damage and allowing for more uptime. That same circumstance applies in PvP where if a warrior were to push a group of 8-10 people in a practice battleground walatiki match, they can jump in rampage and innate then rampage and breaching strikes without having to worry about cc with our cc breaks. However specifically speaking, a lone warrior in PvP is essentially useless. A warrior is useless without support however this is my own opinion.
  4. Are there any outstanding bugs or issues with the warrior that seem to have slipped through the cracks? Please try to provide as much detail as possible.  The only thing that has "slipped through the cracks" is in PTR where warriors are forced to use unpractical abilities such as tremor and savage strikes in order to re-proc rampage ( You also say you don't want rampage being a warriors primary damaging ability however the PTR builds that warriors run include both abilities, tremor and savage strikes, which reset rampage leading warriors to believe that we'll be holding down rampage until we run out of kinetic energy.)
  5. Do you have any questions for me? :)  No questions, yet. However I hope you can learn the feelings of how warriors are for both sides of our able roles in PvE as tanks and DPS, and our roles in PvP as DPS and maybe even tanks :D

Brought to you by GATLIKE GANGSTARS, where if we help others and lose we get called noobs and if we stomp others we get called elitists....

#4 Aera

Aera
  • Members
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like good news to me!

Welcome to the spotlight, Moja! :)

"What do you list most about the warrior, and why?: I like the hulky toughness/resilience, the feeling that you can leap on into a pack and hulk mode on them without feeling weak and squishy. I like the feel of heavy, hard hitting abilities - rampage does this well. Instant satisfaction rage.

"What do you like least about the warrior, and why?: My warrior is not level 50 yet, as it's not my main, but so far what I like the least is the lack of long-term self-sustenance. I do not like the minimal healing that they have. This makes it so that they don't do so well in long battles or soloing things not meant to be soloed. Yes, we have shield regen, but once that health goes down, there's not much to do to help it get back up. While leveling, I often have to sit and eat between each mob, where on my alts I can just heal up. I do fully understand that warriors are not healers, and should not be able to heal that much - I just want them to be able to have a couple more healing options, but not OP ones.

"If you could improve one thing about the warrior, what would it be?: You already commented on this. It's really the same situation for all classes. I would love to see different "main" abilities. Warriors need rampage no matter the spec or purpose, and this isn't very attractive. Having more abilities that fit the same general purpose, such as primary spender. This would require more abilities available instead of changing existing ones to fit the bill. More abilities on the list = happier.

P.S. - Check your reddit, Moja

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant. ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

#5 MagmaScythe

MagmaScythe
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Congrats on the new position!

In terms of the class's abilities, I'm very excited for the PTR changes as they will bring more depth for dps warriors, but there are a few abilities that could see some change. Currently Whirlwind is very lackluster in terms of AoE and loses out overall to Rampage when both are T8. I always thought it would be cool if Whirlwind could be changed into a KE builder ability like relentless that buffed Tremor's damage or possibly ripsaw. Next Tremor still has this very strange delayed animation that messes up the flow of our abilities. A lot of warriors have been asking for something to be done about that for awhile, and with it being a viable choice for dps with drop 4 changes, adjusting this would make many people happy. Also, Tremor's telegraph is weird. I always thought it would make more sense for it to be centered around the warrior like Whirlwind.

Can't wait to see where you take the class in the future.

#6 Razhork

Razhork
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

4. Are there any outstanding bugs or issues with the warrior that seem to have slipped through the cracks? Please try to provide as much detail as possible.

1. I like the utility and damage we bring to raids. It feels like we have a important role outside of just dealing damage. Also our mobility with leap/bum rush makes for a lot of fun personally. 

2. It's no lie we're a bit of the laughing stock with our very easy rotation and high damage. I don't have many complaints about the warrior class really, I really love the class and somehow always find myself having tons of fun. Perhaps more of a problem with itemization, but I wish we had something enticing that'd get us to stack something other than AP. It's very bland in that sense. I always had sorta hoped with Power Hitter (aka 35% Crit Serv) would prove to be a factor that'd get players to stack crit serv or something along those lines. 

3. Whirlwind needs to be a viable AOE ability. KE loss is pretty bad on the ability. Sentinel doesn't work well in raid environment in the way that it's hard to hit proper target with 

4. None that I can think of at the top of my head. 

5. Well perhaps not a question, but I hope you'll listen to our feedback and not take it for granted  :D

Raz hork  ZhurAscendancy / Jabbit EU

Warrior DPS - the 35% rampage reset was not a lie - Illuminati II TT gone = Wildstar gone 

#7 Rhodrick

Rhodrick
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Firstly, Congratulations on the new position, Moja.

As far as the Warrior is concerned, I'm super excited for the class and whatever direction it will take.  I've never been a big PTR person, but as Warriors stand on live...Things seem solid with a lack of certain exciting extras.

To answer a few of your questions, Rampage seems to be top of that list.  The ability itself is awesome with it's animation.  Makes you feel powerful and the Deeps it brings is overwhelming.  That fact makes it too prevalent in the game.  If your not Rampaging you losing potential DPS, so builds are all about refreshing that proc and weaving other abilities underneath Rampage....Rampage all the time, Rampage. It gets a little Dull after a while.

As far as your goals, I see a glint of certain play-styles in the warrior that are overshadowed by the main ones.  As my guild started raiding I was the only warrior, So I carved a niche for myself as a rather dull swiss army knife.  I was power-linking for raid dps, smack-down for debuff, Defensive Grid,  Armor Shred and Overwhelming Presence for Utility, and Interrupts...lots of Interrupts.  So I've felt those other roles, but none of them seemed viable and were entirely forgotten once we got an esper and another warrior in the guild. 

In short, good luck as class lead. I'm going to have to start digging through the class forums again to see where the warrior goes.  Either way, I'm excited to see what you come up with

Cheers

~Lord Rhodrick

P.S.Some suggestions I would make would be to separate single target and AoE abilities.  If Rampage were to hit just 1-2 targets that dps would be primarily for bosses and prime monsters, which could be switched out for Whirlwind for AoE mobs and packs.  Also, this might be too specific, but Ripsaw could be a great debuff skill which shreds armor or shields or something.  I don't Pvp much but if a Saw'd enemy lost 50% shield mitigation it could be a game changer...just a thought.

Lord Rhodrick

Destructive Nature - Entity

#8 Steakbeard

Steakbeard
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hey everyone!

I’m Moja, and I’ll be taking over as the class lead for the Warrior moving forward.

A little bit about me… Up ‘til now at Carbine I’ve worked on a variety of features for Wildstar, including housing plugs and expeditions, Warplot bosses, and a number of dungeons and bosses, including portions of the new 20-man Datascape conversion and Ultimate Protogames.

I wanted to share a few design goals for improving the Warrior and give you an idea of what the future holds:

• Competitive choices for abilities and AMPs: Players should have to make tough decisions when crafting builds. Ideally, every ability, ability tier, and AMP will be useful and awesome.
  • Supporting a variety of playstyles and player choice: Going with the above, our goal is to give you interesting choices and allow you to build a variety of ways for each role. For example, Rampage is an awesome skill, but it shouldn’t always be the best DPS choice for every situation.
  • Creating interesting rotations and gameplay: In the past, Warriors have been stuck with a 2-3 button core DPS rotation, which can get pretty boring after a while. We would like to give experienced players more options when it comes to pushing out those extra bits of damage from more complex rotations, while still keeping the class approachable for newer players.
  • Balance: Our goal is to keep classes competitive in all roles. We want the player to pick the class for the fun playstyle and not because of an obvious imbalance.
  • Being active on the forums: We want to keep an open dialogue with you guys, and I will be a direct point of contact for feedback and any issues you may have on the forums. This means the other class devs and I will do our best to actively monitor the forums for hot-button issues or bugs.

Note: This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. We won’t be able to make all these changes overnight, and the class will continue to evolve over the foreseeable future. I just wanted to share the general direction you can expect.

Now with all that said, I wanted to get some feedback from you!

I’m looking forward to working with all of you to make the warrior awesome! Fire away!

Any chance you could wheel your chair over to the Stalker Class Rep and see if he's still alive? We haven't seen him in a long time and we're worried about him. You know, if he's fallen down a well or something, you might be able to send a dog in or such.

"Whenever life gets you down Mrs Brown, and things seem hard or tough, and people are stupid, obnoxious or daft, and you feel that you've had quite enoooougghh! Just SMASH MAIM KILL BURN SLAUGHTER, BWAHAHAHA, DESTROY THE PUNY, THEY ARE WEAK AND DESERVE A QUICK END ! Get off me, I've not finished, ow, ow, I will end you! " GurkGurk McGurkilyGurktonGurk - Draken Stalker - failed karaoke night performance. - Nihilism.Enjin.Com

#9 TooMuchFace

TooMuchFace
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

I honestly feel we're too good at pretty much everything. Our single target dps is solid, our multitarget dps is excellent, and we can bring both while also bringing ridiculously low cooldown interrupts, major dps bonuses to the raid and silly defensive buffs too. The PTR changes - needing to bring tremor/ss to maintain our dps should do a lot to requiring actual thought for our LAS, and I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

#10 Wisconsen

Wisconsen
  • Members
  • LocationNot Where You Think

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

What do you like most about the warrior, and why?

The Feel of the class. When playing a warrior you feel like you're all in, there is no backing out, and no retreat, only one combatant leaves the fight.

What do you like least about the warrior, and why?

The Design and direction of the changes. Throughout the beta till current the design decisions made for warriors have been plain bad. Forcing dependency on Rampage Resets, the state of tanking until drop 3, and no clear plan to deal with these issues other then  stating they are issues. There as been numerous and lengthy posts on the warrior forums about ways to deal with the issues, and they have gone largely ignored by the devs. When it comes to warriors, we have come to understand that not only are the Dev's Not Listening, they are purposefully Ignoring the community. Lets hope this is a sign that things are changing.

If you could improve one thing about the warrior, what would it be?

Kill Rampagejesus in a fire, twice, then bury it in a unmarked grave. Rampage being part of our DPS rotation is great, rampage being 70% of our DPS is really bad for a ton of reasons that i hope you are already aware of. Buff it and we are OP, nerf it and we are Utility Bots, either way Rampage being the majority of our DPS is, in my opinion, the largest issue the class has.

Are there any outstanding bugs or issues with the warrior that seem to have slipped through the cracks? Please try to provide as much detail as possible.

Interrupts, T4 and t8 kick need swapped, every class should have a 2 in 1 IA break on a T4 ( pass this along to the stalker dev also ), with the prevalence and importance of interrupts in combat, specifically veteran dungeons and raids, there is a need for uniformity within that system across classes.

DPS - Making traditionally ignored abilities such as tremor, savage strikes, ripsaw, ect rewarding to use is a great idea, doing so by cheapening the ability is not. As is the case with tremor and SS, people aren't using them in Drop 4 because they want to, nor because it is fun to do so, they are using them because they HAVE to in order to hit rampage again, which is really the button they want to hit in the first place. Get rid of the Rampage dependency, and make the abilities stand on their own instead of only being used to prop up rampage.

Do you have any questions for me? :)!

What is your previous experience of with the warrior class? Are you current on our standard LAS/AMP setups for dps/tanking?

I don't want to sound too accusatory, or confrontational, but you must understand that Warriors, as a class, have been largely ignored by the devs from release until now. Tanking was broken at release and only very recently received attention of merit. Please don't be afraid to communicate with us on the forums, even if it's just to say "I'm reading this and hear what you are saying" we don't always need definitive answers, but we do always need to know that our concerns are being heard.

You have along uphill battle ahead of your to earn the trust from the community that your predecessors lost. However if you do you'll find that warriors as a whole are a great group of players, who want what is best for their class, and the game as a whole.

#11 WalzY

WalzY
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

-New rotation on PTR is glorious, compared to the 2 button rotation we've had for ages. Complex rotations which reward good execution = yes please.

Best thing about warriors?

-Best thing about the warrior is the heavy armor, being able to get into the thick of the fight and pull powerful DPS. Also, I love the look of our armour. Big, scary, huge shoulders. Yes.

Worst thing about warriors?

-Worst thing is tremor's clunky animation, and whirlwind. I think every warrior's worst fear is whirlwind being a viable build. It's okay as a fun thing on the side for huge trash packs like in earth wing datascape but beyond that I don't really like it being a thing.

I'm also not a massive fan of relentless strikes, but that's a more complex issue that would be low priority and difficult to change for any developer imo. I'd prefer warriors basic attacks to be a bit more... well... lively. Slow slashes during downtime is pretty dull.

Improvements?

One thing that could be improved is the relevance of some amps/abilities. Even if it's niche use I think some skills like sentinel or ripsaw ought to be brought in somewhere, for some situational utility, but not forced into a mandatory rotation.

• Ōkami likes this

#12 Armadillo

Armadillo
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

To understand how to tweak Warriors I guess you have to compare to the other Melee class : Stalkers.

Warriors just had a massive buff they didn't need. They became insane at tanking (Stalkers are still the worst class for that, they lacked threat generation, you (Carbine) "solved" it upping threat generation for EVERY tanking class !!! WTH ?!

Then 2/3 skills DPS rotation, random procs FTW, heavy armor, better range, no positioning, many and reliable interrupts, more dashes...

There shouldn't be a class that can be top DPS with the same spec on multitarget AND single target ! When stalkers for example have to change their spec to be 2nd, 3rd at best, and not just spamming one or two buttons... When you have so many advantages at melee, you shouldn't be able to do better than other classes that have many disadvantages and have to fight much harder to do that same DPS or that can't tank as well as the other classes.

Warriors are clearly unbalanced. When we are doing GA (5/6 with my guild), Warriors are like 40k dps on multitarget when every other class is like 25k dps at best (same or even better gear !). And same on single target, 2/3 buttons to push, less risks because heavy armor and less focus needed and they are often top DPS. This is not balancing !

And even without that, when a gigantic part of your dps relies on a random proc, how could you be even satisfied with your "gameplay" and results ? You're not the one fighting for those numbers, that's for a big part...random.

That's just silly and needs a fast fix.

Warrior is usually an easier class to play in MMOs, and you should be able to be top dps / top tank (in a world where engineers wouldn't exist) if you fight and optimize your gear and skills...Be first if you DESERVE it, like every other player. But not that way. Every class is supposed to have its own role in a raid for example. Just tell me in which case playing a stalker is better than a warrior ?! Worst tank ever. Disadvantages at melee should indicate that we are like the best single target dps class when warriors should be better at cleaving and multi targeting. I mean, this is just logic ! We're not even buffing our raid being DD stalkers when Warriors have PowerLink...Not even that. I guess we just don't...get...it...

Things need to be more balanced. Considerate gameplay difficulty and interest for the class (being first dps but pushing 2 buttons is not very funny I guess...), balancing DPS output with said required skills, and so on.

#13 Strifes

Strifes
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

At the start of the game I had not planned to play a warrior… but after succeeding on reserving the name “Tyrael” (now “Archangel Tyrael” due to megaserver); I felt there was no more appropriate class for my character. For me this game has been quite the interesting journey, originally joining for the housing, farming Aetheros for some sick costume sword, leading me to find people I would finish attunement and eventually start raiding with. While I personally like where warriors are, I am looking forward to any changes in the future, I’d still play my warrior.

1. What do you like most about the warrior, and why?

As a melee class I feel that the warriors more so than any other class are rewarded greatly for being in active combat through KE bonuses, buffs, and dots. Comparing it to another class such as stalker where they have a ton of front loaded damage, warriors shine and reach max damage output after being in combat for a period of time (as opposed to innating/overdriving off the bat).

2. What do you like least about the warrior, and why?

While I enjoy rampaging and breeching strikes, they lack incentive to use other skills as a main attack skill. In the PTR they currently have a different rotation, but rampage still seems to be the focus. Possibly lowering the damage and turning rampage into a KE builder and having the focus be other types of skills. One attack I thought was interesting was the charged up overhead swing that greatsword mobs in skullcano used. It would be something that would do tons of damage but still have counter play from the ability to interrupt the swing.

I would actually like to see Defense Grid swapped with Bolstering Strike, having Defense grid as the unlocked support skill. This would cause DPS warriors to need to sacrifice damage in order to support the group as a whole, but also allow DPS warriors to gain easier access to a self-shield gain, where there were many items that increased stats or gave a bonus if u had shield up.
With this I would make the suggestion of buffing Defense Grid, adding the effect in pvp at least I feel tank warriors would benefit from it being a safety dome… think SC2 Protoss shield walls with multiple warriors in battlegrounds/warplots.

Overdrive’s description says “Reset Assault and Support ability cooldowns and trigger Overdrive for 8s” While it resets the cooldown for Leap (assault) it does not reset the cooldown of Bum Rush (support) at base tier. For some reason after tiering to T4, Overdrive activation then gives you a Bum Rush token. It’s as if its only being counter as a Support skill at T4+.

4. Do you have any questions for me?  :) 
How often do you think you get to actually play the game? Have you felt how it feels to be attacking in pvp as a warrior, or be on the receiving end as another class?

On a completely non warrior related note (since you mention housing) what’s with the huge lag spikes/falling through floors when someone zones in… I’ve fallen so many times to me death when building a jumping puzzle due to that ;___; Moja pls

"My stomach feels strange..."

Entity (PvE) - Exile/Warrior - Archangel Tyrael <DnP> - Floaty Cats (3s) 

Discord: 3pVTMAP - Used to organize/discuss pvp and promote 3s!

#14 I Klade I

I Klade I
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

My only hope is you understand that warriors in their current state are "OP" not because of our DPS output, but because of the insane utility we bring to fights in ADDITION to our capacity to put out good numbers. Don't destroy the DPS, tone down the utility. 

• SekoiyA likes this

Klade|50|Warrior|Settler

< ENIGMA >

NA | Dominion | Entity (PvE) | Website | Twitch.tv

#15 Armadillo

Armadillo
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

My only hope is you understand that warriors in their current state are "OP" not because of our DPS output, but because of the insane utility we bring to fights in ADDITION to our capacity to put out good numbers. Don't destroy the DPS, tone down the utility. 

Yes, so you can still make awesome DPS output with little prerequisites (huge armor, 2/3 buttons, random proc doing most of your big numbers, etc...) AND stop buffing other DPS members so they stay even more behind ?! :D
What...WHY ?! DPS just must be balanced, you need to DESERVE those numbers ! More complex rotation, no random procs, different builds for Single target / Multi target, etc...Like every other DPS class that has to work hard, optimize and pray some gods to achieve something close to your numbers, ffs ! Just look at Wildstarlogs stats to see how Warriors are top DPS on every encounter, doing almost twice any other class' dps on trash mobs...How is this balanced ? How can we even argue on that ?!

#16 CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist
  • Members
  • LocationIt was a dark and stormy night

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Tone down our DPS, fine. It's frankly needed. But please don't turn us into stalkers with heavy armor and no stealth and very little room for utility. You can make interesting rotations without taking up 6 of the available slots for DPS abilities.

What do I like most? The presence, I feel that I'm a true asset to whatever team comp I might find myself in (high DPS/utility tends to make one feel that way). And the mobility, between leap/bum rush and the soon to be nerfed (why?) speed burst AMP, it makes the warrior feel fluid and agile.

What do I like the least? The current RNG rotation, I'm either back to back rampaging (rare for me, RNGJesus has never been kind), or slowly slugging out RS until rampage comes off a natural CD. I personally don't mind the comparatively simplistic rotation, because I do actively play other DPS classes and get my fix there (and can swap my main as each class gets their heavy handed nerfs then buffs in turn :D), but I can see how others would like to see a something more involved.

Server: EntityCharacters:  Engie (tank/dps 6/6GA 9/9|15/15DS - PvP DPS/Tank) - Medic (heals/dps - 6/6GA - 6/9DS-  PvP Heals/DPS) - SS (heals/dps - 6/6GA - 5/9DS - PvP DPS) - Esper (heals/dps - 6/6GA - PvP DPS/Heals) - Stalker (tank/dps - 6/6GA - PvP DPS/Tank) - Warrior (tank/dps 6/6GA, 1/9DS40 1/9DS20 - PvP DPS)

#17 Orrestes

Orrestes
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

1. What do you like most about the warrior, and why?

Alot, to much to list.  I have a 50 esper and have leveled up to 20 stalker and Spellslinger and I have to say the Warrior is by far the most fun out of all those classes.  Heavy Armor so can take a bit of damage, especially it being 1 of the 2 melee classes, and it has had it struggles (tank!) but from what I see on PTR, it is becoming an even more of an awesome class.

1. What do you like least about the warrior, and why?

Whirlwind, and 1v1 pvp we get owned.  I would say the 3 buttons, but with what I see on PTR, it's awesome and fixed. (BTW, if you are responsible for this, you have my cudos)

1. If you could improve one thing about the warrior, what would it be?

Make t8 kick into t4 to make it more aligned with everyone else, especially with the new changes.  Yes, warriors have more utility but our interrupts are very short range.  Some of the amps that can offer more choices because everyone is pretty much cookie cutter.  I guess that is 2 things.

1. Are there any outstanding bugs or issues with the warrior that seem to have slipped through the cracks? Please try to provide as much detail as possible.

Tremor animation is awful and messes up things and the flow of dpsing.  Would like this more if it didnt hold up rotations.

1. Do you have any questions for me?  :)

How much involvement did you have with the changes on PTR?

[Entity] [Exile] Drow  

9/9 (15/15) DS / Harmentors Raider 

Orestes Atreus - Warrior (Pink weapon r real!!!!) Arena Gladiator | Orrestes Atreus - Esper | Plyades Atreus - Stalker

#18 Moja

Moja
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep it up!

I wanted to share a few more things with you guys.

PTR changes to expect in the future:
- After PTR testing and feedback, we're pulling back on the full resets for Rampage on Tremor and SS. Instead, those skills will reduce Rampage's cooldown by ~50%. This is to reign in the overall burst and sustained DPS of chain combos while still keeping the better feel of the new rotations. This also lets you weave other skills such as Smackdown or Ripsaw into the rotation without delaying your next Rampage.
    Current PTR rotation: rampage > ss/tremor > repeat
    Future rotation (sustained): rampage > ss/tremor > relentless(x3)/Ripsaw/Smackdown > repeat
    Future burst opener: rampage > tremor > ss > rampage > innate > repeat

- Tremor GCD is being reduced. This makes it feel MUCH better in the rotation, and should get rid of the clunky feel it has currently (especially at T8).

Drop 5 and beyond:
We're getting close to having drop 4 locked down, so there isn't room for a lot of the bigger riskier changes. That said, for drop 5, we will definitely be taking a look at Whirlwind, Augmented Blade, and the Fortify AMP in particular, based on your feedback. We'll also be taking a look at lackluster AMPs and ability tiers for improvements. Rampage will likely be having its AOE damage toned down while keeping its power vs. single targets.

For the more distant future, I'd like to push towards making Kinetic Energy a more meaningful resource overall, rather than relying solely on resets and cooldowns. This should help create more freedom in crafting builds, rather than forcing players to use specific sets of abilities to be effective.
As a player, I personally enjoy hybrid builds the most, with a heavy focus on utility and mobility, so I definitely want those to be viable builds. However we also have to design for purists, and there should be a tangible benefit for sacrificing utility for DPS. Finding that sweet spot will always be tricky, but it's definitely something we want to push for. I also have more experience as a DPS, but I will still be doing my best to give tanks the attention they deserve :).

@Steakbeard: Asyreal is still alive. He's been out sick lately, but you should hear from him again soon. I'll give him some grief for you :P

@Wisconsen: I agree. We're aiming to make Whirlwind a competetive alternative to Rampage, especially for AOE fights, and making traditionally ignored abilities useful in their own right. You should see more progress towards that with drop 5+. I'll also take a look at interrupt availability, since I agree it should be standardized. I do keep up with current trends for both DPS and Tank builds, and will try pay attention to concerns from all sides.

@Armadillo: Balance is one of my main priorities moving forward, and Rampage is currently overperforming as an AOE skill. DPS rotations overall should be getting more complex moving forward, so Warriors will need to earn their place at the top.

@Strifes: We do play regularly (but still less than I'd like). For PvP, yes, I've been on both the delivering and receiving end of Warriors, and I know how scary they can be. On the housing issue... no idea. I built content, not the back end. I'll pass that along though.

#19 Spythe

Spythe
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

LOL klade keep the dream alive.

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#20 lujate

lujate
  • Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

Complex rotations which reward good execution = yes please.

+1

Back Sep '15 after an eight month hiatus.