61 replies to this topic

#1 ThaCheez

ThaCheez

Community and Creative Content Manager

• Carbine Studios Staff
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hello all,

Below is the recap to The Nexus Report: State of the Game. We will continue to post a recap the day of the livestream by 3pm PDT every week. If your question was not answered on the livestream, please feel free to post it below and I will do my best to get it answered.  I will edit the OP tomorrow with a link to the YouTube video of the stream. This will be pinned until next week when the new recap is posted. Thank you all for your support and passion for WildStar!

[Update: As promised, here's the link to the YouTube video of the stream. Thanks for watching!]

Intro Show

Welcome to The Nexus Report where there’s much banter to be had, and Nerf shots are always fired. Please keep eyes on this recap for a link to the actual show via YouTube, once it goes live.

WildStar Updates

• Server Name poll results are in:

• NA PvE: Entity  |  NA PvP: Warhound

• EU PvE: Jabbit  |  EU PvP: Luminai

• WildStar Town Hall Meeting

• Our WildStar CM’s Tony (NA) and Mark (EU) are taking part in the WildStar Town Hall Meeting. Items of discussion will be Game Population, Classes, PvE Quests, PvP Battlegrounds and Arenas, Raiding, Dungeons, Community, and Events. This is an open chat forum, so please consider attending and giving us your thoughts.

• NA: Wednesday 1st Oct, 4pm PDT

• EU: Thursday 2nd Oct, 7pm BST

• State of the Game

• Last week Mike Donatelli gave us a State of the Game address. We grabbed your questions and feedback to discuss here. Mike brought the patch notes for everything that we’re working on, 100+ pages to be exact.

“We were able to eliminate in the first month 3000+ bugs. We wanted to send this out earlier, but we wanted this to be the tightest patch. This (holds up 100+ pages of patch notes) is a game changer amount of stuff.”

• What is being done and when can we expect it?

• “Itemizations, one of the biggest things we doing is Rune changes. New runes, adding rune slots, etc. rebalancing stats, assault power and support power. We’ll have more details later this week. Looking to drop early Oct/Nov.”

• What’s coming in the future that will make players want to continue to sub?

• “This was a tough decision. Putting out buggy content, and not having players happy is not a good thing. We had to make a very tough decision, and we wanted to give players what they want, but we have to be diligent about what we put out. We have to put out quality content. One of the things we’ve done is gathered feedback, collated it into 6+ pages of what players said were important. So we made these accessibility initiatives that will hopefully make players want to stay subbed. We’ve done a music remodel, rental mounts - players wanted mounts earlier, so we added rental mounts in the lower levels to be found at settler stations that lower level players can rent. We’re making a lot of changes that players will like, and this is just the content. This has nothing to do with fixes. There’s also the January update - that will be a dungeons update full of dailies. We’ll introduce the ProtoAcademy, Ultimate Protogames, a second arena. Protogames is really funny, and super entertaining.”

• What is a clear date for Megaservers?

• “Megaservers is something we wanted to do for game launch but we ran out of time. We’re looking at Middle of October, but we need to make sure it’s completely solid and bug free. We’re looking at mid-October, but we’re really focused on the QA.”

• Is Shades Eve happening this year? Are any other holidays happening this year?

• “We did have Shades Eve ready to go. It was prepped for October but we don’t want to put out content that's bugged. Shades Eve could have gone out, but we would have been worried about the quality of the rest of the game. There was discussion to redesign Shade’s Eve to come out in late November, but it just wouldn’t work. There was also a Christmas type holiday as well, but that one also will not be coming out. Our biggest goal is quality right now. This next drop will set the tone for future drops.”

Q&A Segment

• nikftw: I'm in the burned out pile, I raided hell even got some of the 40man content complete, did everything that the game had to offer, from PvP to silly achievements. What's going to make me want to come back to the game?

“We still want to add new content, it’s just not going to be monthly. We have a giant amount of content that will be put out quarterly. We had lots of teams working on future drops all the way up to Drop 12 but we spread QA way too thin. Moving to a quarterly content cycle will allow us to spend more time with the content.”

• contajulie: Will the quarterly drops potentially have as much content as 3 of the originally planned monthly drops?

“We’re hoping that this new system will reduce the hotfix system that we currently have, but the answer is no, hotfixes are a part of every game. Yes there will be content in those quarterly patches, but we’re focused on quality.”

• malzek: That "other" MMORPG abandoned the 40-man model 9 years ago due to logistical issues.  WildStar's raids are much more unforgiving, leaving many scratching their head at this design decision. Has any consideration gone into bringing raid content to a more realistic level for the playerbase size?

“All I’m willing to say right now is yes. Yes, there’s been discussion. I’m not going into details at this time…..the devs are listening. :)

• pvdamme: Will there be free trials when the megaservers and/or drop 3 hit live?

“It’s kind of a publishing marketing question. I’d like to say yes, but I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.”

Tony - “I’m not saying yes for a fact. We don’t want to hand out free trials if we’re not secure with how the game performs. The worst thing would be to invite people into a buggy game.”

• baslin: What is the plan to increase the game's population, find new players, and bring players back that already quit?

The first step is to fix these bugs. We have a lot of publishing and marketing plans. We, on the dev side, have to make sure the bug stuff is done. There’s a lot of changes, and we think that players are going to be like, “Wow they’ve done a lot of work!”

• qupidws: How can current players help bring in new players to Wildstar?

Word of mouth. Tell your friends and family. There’s a lot of good things on the way that will help with the overall experience of the game. We saw there was problems, and we said that we have to focus on those problems and fix them.”

• kipz162: With the announcement that drops are now further away. The perceived value of a monthly sub has now fallen. What plans do you have in place to rectify the gaps in content?

We did talk about a new retention initiative. We have some cool things being designed as we speak. It’s something to reward players.”

• sunsetblade: You mentioned releasing some of the "safer" changes in advance of the drop, surely there are at least a few hundred more "safe" bug/QoL fixes that you could release in the weeks before the patch?

You’re not wrong, we’ve had a lot of discussion about that. If we do that, then QA has to stop focus on Megaserver, focus on those, then go back. We will continue to re-evaluate issues as they come up. It’s possible, but it’s not likely.”

• voldrot: client optimalisation is still being discussed on the forum a lot: any feedback on that?

There’s a lot of feedback about client optimization. We do have a lot of stuff. We’re fixing it, we’re making it better. There’s a good 10-20% performance improvement.”

• malzek: Historically MMORPGs have been in constant beta state - there have always been bugs and always will be, no matter how long you delay or how much iteration you go through.  Where do you draw the line between keeping players from being bored and hotfixing, and withholding content and players becoming just as frustrated.  Can you go too far with "Once bitten, twice shy?

Yes. You have to try to walk a fine line. We fixed 3000+ bugs in the first month, and another 1000 in the last month. Once that’s done, this process should move more quickly. Once these are all fixed we’ll have something more manageable in the future and we’ll be able to concentrate on faster turnaround times. We can push as early as October 21, but we have to feel comfortable about it.”

• professor_skaro: I appreciate all the work, and transparency y’all have had. You mentioned changes in money, will this level out the relatively high number of gold sinks and make it less of a time sink to do basic things like AMP build testing?

Yes. That’s absolutely coming.”

• darkangelzwraith: after a week things in game like npc's stutter, once a server restart happens it gets fixed, only thing is sometimes there's no restart for more then a week. Is there going to be a more long term fix for this?

I don’t know. I will get an answer for you.”

• dasmoosegamer: How would you feel about monthly rewards for players? Small things just to say thanks for playing. 5 boom boxes a month, maybe a costume piece (still want a cowboy hat!) Small incentives for down time between drops.

Yes to all of that. It’s part of that whole system I was talking about earlier.”

Fan Art - Great job on the fanart Renate Meyer, Eric Burns, Tara, and Arthur Muzzin. Thank you so much for this weeks submissions!

If you have fan art, please submit it to us at fanart@WildStar-Online.com.

Epic Moment of the Week

It’s a bittersweet Epic Moment this week.

Simply Sylvan from WildStar Core recently said goodbye to the family pet, Mischief after a battle with cancer. One of our very own devs, story designer Gary Astleford, spotted the sad tweet and took it upon himself to commemorate this bond with a beloved pet by putting Mischief in game forever.
Our sincerest condolences go out the Simply Sylvan, and may Mischief rest in peace.

Frost’s Special Announcement

Frost - "It really pains me to say this, but this will be my last show and my last week at Carbine. I'm off to a new adventure” “This is super-hard for me. This is one of my proudest achievements. A lot of my heart and soul is in this game."

What does this mean moving forward for LiveStreams?

Tony - “LiveStreams will be an ever present part of Carbine Studios. We have plans to do a great deal more gameplay streams, and getting devs in front of the camera. We will continue to have our weekly Nexus Report, and look forward to streaming more content in the coming months.”

Follow Us

• Twitch.tv/WildStar

• Twitter.com/WildStar

• Facebook.com/WildStarOnline

Tony Rey

Community & Creative Content Manager

Dem Tweets

#2 ahamling27

ahamling27
  • Members
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for doing this!

• Kytar likes this

Mundus ~ Mechari ~ Warrior ~ Settler ~ Warbringer

Author Platform Evangelist ~ WildStarForums.com • Curse.com • CurseForge

#3 Kavi

Kavi
  • Guests
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Frost leaving, but I wish him luck and thank him for what he's put into this game!

I also thank you for posting this; with a puppy and a toddler running around, I don't often feel up to watching the Live Feeds and whatnot, though I've seen a couple and I enjoy them and learning about what's to come.

From what I have seen, from what I've read, and from what you've posted here, I'm excited about the upcoming Drop and Megaservers, and I have faith in this game, even through the bugs and frustrations it's endured; even through the disappointment of cancelled holiday events this time 'round.

Nothing starts out perfect (and if it does, it's lying and you shouldn't trust it and it should offer to buy you pizza!) but you guys have so far brought back the fun for me after years of gaming.

• Drebble likes this

Lucy Fur ~ Esper ~ Aurin ~ Scientist

<The Crimson Cross>

Twitter: @Stormyzors

#4 Aera

Aera
  • Members
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

It pains us all, Frost.

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant. ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

#5 ThaCheez

ThaCheez

Community and Creative Content Manager

• Carbine Studios Staff
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for doing this!

I think this will be great for those that can't tune in live or that can't watch it at all.  Glad you like it, however, all gratitude goes to Sunshine for furiously typing this live! 

Tony Rey

Community & Creative Content Manager

Dem Tweets

#6 BroFistForLife

BroFistForLife
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Finally some hope and not all terrible news.

Staying here till the door closes.

Healslinger 6/6 GA 8/9 DS40 - 9/9 DS20

Medic healer 6/6 GA 4/9 DS

Engineer DPS 6/6 GA

#7 zombiechan

zombiechan
  • Members
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

It's unfortunate to hear about Frost leaving once it was his personalities on the Dev Speaks that got me interested in WildStar. Though I do wish him luck on his next position, and it would be cool if it's with another game that I play. It's also too bad to hear about the holiday events not happening, but I do understand. I'm looking forward to drop 3 and all the fixes and new content it will bring.

• TheDetour likes this

"Anyhoo, Tizgo has been stung about seven hundred times so far. Can't feel pain anymore. Mouth only thing moving... and... not easy. So good job... Duke... Dumb-face. Killed us for... tea" - Tizgo Gopp

Adrian Denan(Mordesh Stalker) && Rax Zarmixx(Chua Engineer) && Mako Razorhorn (Draken Warrior)

RIP Warbringer (and Warhound)(Nvm Warhound is dead again)  :(

#8 Aera

Aera
  • Members
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

I think this will be great for those that can't tune in live or that can't watch it at all.  Glad you like it, however, all gratitude goes to Sunshine for furiously typing this live! 

I activate stealth mode and watch it during work. They must wonder why I always have that same document open when they walk by...unchanged..for an hour.

Even though I watch it at work, this is still useful to me for linking to people or quoting! <3

• Kavi likes this

#9 Sephera

Sephera
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

I was just told that guild name changes will not be available at the megaserver merge. 

Is that true and about how long after the megaserver merge will guilds be able to change their name? Will it be just guilds that have the same names or will ALL guilds be able to change their name?

Server: Entity / Faction: Exile

#10 CRB_Sunshine

CRB_Sunshine

Community Manager

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

The typos are mine! All mine!!!! Teehee!

Seriously, thanks Tony!

#11 Caramel_Ham

Caramel_Ham
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

“We were able to eliminate in the first month 3000+ bugs. We wanted to send this out earlier, but we wanted this to be the tightest patch. This (holds up 100+ pages of patch notes) is a game changer amount of stuff.”

To be honest....the game shouldn't have had released in such a state to begin with. It rubs me the wrong way this is being considered as some sort of achievement.....

That said, you guys are really sweet talkers and seem to be saying stuff that sounds really nice. I do hope you guys deliver on it. 

• Rylanor and reaver999 like this

#12 Aera

Aera
  • Members
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

I was just told that guild name changes will not be available at the megaserver merge. 

Is that true and about how long after the megaserver merge will guilds be able to change their name? Will it be just guilds that have the same names or will ALL guilds be able to change their name?

What we know so far is that when the servers are merged, any guild that is not the oldest active guild with the name will have something automatically added to the guild name, and when this happens it will enable the rename function for a one-time use by the guild leader.

You will be able to change it.

#13 Aksu

Aksu
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Dear Sunshine:

Your fingers, and tireless dedication are appreciated.

-Be patient, enjoy the dance. Don't be the rock, be the reed bending in the wind.

--DarkEden. Life Coach. Zen Master.

#14 CRB_Sunshine

CRB_Sunshine

Community Manager

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Dear Sunshine:

Your fingers, and tireless dedication are appreciated.

Thank you so much. I'll get better, I promise. :)

#15 Sephera

Sephera
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

What we know so far is that when the servers are merged, any guild that is not the oldest active guild with the name will have something automatically added to the guild name, and when this happens it will enable the rename function for a one-time use by the guild leader.

You will be able to change it.

What happens when you want to change your guild name, but have the oldest active guild with that name? Think we should all have the option to change our guild names with out losing all the perks and things we've unlocked. 

Day of the merge give the oldest active guilds the option to change their name. Then day after newer guilds with the same name can change their name OR have the option of sticking with their name if the original guild changed their name. 

• Glepnir likes this

Server: Entity / Faction: Exile

#16 nra

nra
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

<3 Thank you Sunshine

• PinkPanther likes this

N Raa | Jabbit | Stalker
<Immortalis Noctis>
Europe | Dominion | Semi-Hardcore | 
6/6 | 9/9

#17 Psyknis

Psyknis
  • Members
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

To all developers:

I know it's hard to admit that you messed up, but thank you for doing so. I will admit that I have been beginning to wonder "will X ever get fixed", but the NR today has given me renewed vigor in your NCSoft lovechild (obviously referring to WildStar). We have fallen on hard times both at the client level and the developer level.

We are experiencing buggy, unfinished content that needs to be tweaked and you are experiencing endless complaining and F2P or die prophecies. Thank you for also showing that you are listening even if we can't see you listening, apparently you are like the NSA (shout out to Obama if you're reading this).

You addressed concerns beta players have had for many moons and issues that are now just coming to light with recent player losses and overall loss of interest. 

If you had asked me not even 3 weeks ago if I thought Drop 3 would "save the game", I would have outright told you no. Now that I have more insight into your vision and ideals behind the new content drop mechanics and infrastructure within Carbine I can safely say that not only will Drop 3 save the game, but it will outshine the competition in every way, shape, and form. 

• Drebble, bbates024, Kavi and 1 other like this

http://www.twitch.tv/psyknis - Check out my stream                                 <DaMG> Co-GM

http://www.damgaming.com - Check out the guild                                  Entity (NA)

KittenWrangler Legacy                Psyknis Engineer 50 (Tank) || Psykniz Medic 50 (DPS) || Syknis Esper 50 (Healer)

#18 PinkPanther

PinkPanther
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thanks VicVanMeter for starting the Nexus Report TL;DR back in August!  :P

• Grumpdogg and Equa1ity like this

#19 Reconditioned

Reconditioned
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Aww, looks like Vic lost his side job. Poor guy. :(

• Grumpdogg, Beckstir, Equa1ity and 1 other like this

#20 bbates024

bbates024
  • Members
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Any thoughts of scrapping Attunement or account wide elder gem's. 

Making it so hard to maintain alts or to change classes is a major bummer. 

Also thanks for taking the time to speak with us, and let us know what your doing to improve our user experience. 

• reaver999 likes this