Photo

Just a thought on holidays (more so Halloween)

holidays costumes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Typrop

Typrop
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

So as people know, there won't be any halloween,possibly even a christmas this year from what I'm reading and I had a thought.

Maybe if possible and as a way to throw people a bone add the costume not relevant to halloween(or even those as well) to vendors and such like the ICI and blackhood outfits, maybe Torine, Draken,etc...as well. 

My thought behind it is that perhaps this least maybe could be a way of letting players generate their own halloween? like i dunno...trick or treating via housing plots and such, having costume parties, etc... I don't think it'd need much testing to do this and the costumes seemed mapped to their respective faction models already from what I've seen.

Just a thought. Probably a silly knee-jerk thought, but jsut a thought I wanted to share...

(don't kill me)

• Razzi and Plaguecrafter like this

Tealful Eyes | Bonedancer Maktri

#2 Sacramento

Sacramento
  • Members
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

I think they should continue with the monthly item giveaways that they had before, and for October they should have implemented like a Jack O Lantern costume headpiece and for November, a turkey hat, and christmas, a christmas hat.

#3 Kavi

Kavi
  • Guests
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

It would be nice to have some little item given out on Halloween and Christmas, if the in-game events are cancelled. Some kinda costume piece or something. Even if it was just the typical jack-o-lantern or santa hat.

Lucy Fur ~ Esper ~ Aurin ~ Scientist

<The Crimson Cross>

Twitter: @Stormyzors

#4 Razzi

Razzi
  • Members
  • LocationOne of the four corners of hell (AKA: Jackson, NJ)

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

I'm thinking that they should AT LEAST give use holiday decorations for our towns, rather than the events assoicated with them.

I mean... just added some models here and there... models that are already completed and what not... That's not asking too much, right? :(

• Plaguecrafter likes this

#5 Whimsicalalien

Whimsicalalien
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

for October they should have implemented like a Jack O Lantern costume headpiece and for November, a turkey hat, and christmas, a christmas hat.

No, thanks, I don't want ugly turkey and pumkin hats.  I rather some nice hats/shoulders/coats etc...

#6 Rebel Angel

Rebel Angel
  • Members
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

I was actually looking forward towards the holidays stuff this year in the game..and with frost leaving seems like a bad day for wildstar in general..

#7 Rocio

Rocio
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

They should make talking pumpkin pets.

Do you like stories? I wrote one!  Read it here. :D 

#8 Sacramento

Sacramento
  • Members
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

No, thanks, I don't want ugly turkey and pumkin hats.  I rather some nice hats/shoulders/coats etc...

Good thing I didn't say ugly turkey and pumpkin hats, I obviously alluded to them being beautiful pumpkin and turkey hats.

• Rocio likes this

#9 Typrop

Typrop
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'd love to see all kinds of stuff, but I dunno what their actual workflow for art assets to in-game implementation is and how quick a turnaround they can do while passing it through QA(id imagine that they'd do QA with newly implemented assets). So I think that using what we have now and is already in the game itself might be a safer route to go. So sure maybe to a hat or something asset would be nice, fairly simple addition I would guess, but still again I don't know their workflow or how disruptive that would be.

Basically trying to think from my own experience how I'd think or come up with a way of basically using what is available now.

#10 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hey guys.

As the lead behind the holiday content, this hit me pretty hard too. We put together a lot of great stuff for you, and in the case of Shade's Eve, our design work was practically done. (Winterfest, in its frozen state, is a rough li'l slice of wackiness.)

Ultimately it was put aside because we, as a company, are focused on making the next patch as free of bugs as we can possibly manage. That means testing... a lot of testing. We have finite testing resources -- any company does -- and so the choice had to be made between including the holidays in our testing and thus having the content as a whole -- all of Drop 3 -- get less testing, or excise the holidays and ensure the other content, the content that would be permanent, got more. As we're committed to that quality bar, the limited-time holidays had to take a back seat.

I totally get that you might want to see decorations and costumes for the holiday, particularly as you know they exist. The problem with that is that it would still require more testing than you might think. The city decorations, for example, are not spawned in like they might be in other games, but rather operate on our plug system -- very similar to housing. This means that the entire area of both cities was sliced into sockets that then get holiday decoration plugs put atop them under the right conditions. However, unlike housing, there is a huge mess of NPCs and scripting afoot in the cities, and their interaction with those plugs requires a lot of testing on their own merits.

Even something as simple as putting costumes on a vendor -- bypassing the reward structure we had all baked into Shade's Eve -- would require testing to make sure it's selling the right things, that it'd show up at the right time, that it would clean up after the holiday, etc. All of this testing is time away from ensuring the quality of Drop 3 and could introduce new bugs (edge cases are fun!).

Believe me, I would like nothing better than to give you all of the awesome stuff we had cooked up for the holiday season this year, but practicality and priorities dictated otherwise this time. I hope you'll enjoy it when it does come around. :)

#11 VicVanMeter

VicVanMeter
  • Guests
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Hey guys.

As the lead behind the holiday content, this hit me pretty hard too. We put together a lot of great stuff for you, and in the case of Shade's Eve, our design work was practically done. (Winterfest, in its frozen state, is a rough li'l slice of wackiness.)

Ultimately it was put aside because we, as a company, are focused on making the next patch as free of bugs as we can possibly manage. That means testing... a lot of testing. We have finite testing resources -- any company does -- and so the choice had to be made between including the holidays in our testing and thus having the content as a whole -- all of Drop 3 -- get less testing, or excise the holidays and ensure the other content, the content that would be permanent, got more. As we're committed to that quality bar, the limited-time holidays had to take a back seat.

I totally get that you might want to see decorations and costumes for the holiday, particularly as you know they exist. The problem with that is that it would still require more testing than you might think. The city decorations, for example, are not spawned in like they might be in other games, but rather operate on our plug system -- very similar to housing. This means that the entire area of both cities was sliced into sockets that then get holiday decoration plugs put atop them under the right conditions. However, unlike housing, there is a huge mess of NPCs and scripting afoot in the cities, and their interaction with those plugs requires a lot of testing on their own merits.

Even something as simple as putting costumes on a vendor -- bypassing the reward structure we had all baked into Shade's Eve -- would require testing to make sure it's selling the right things, that it'd show up at the right time, that it would clean up after the holiday, etc. All of this testing is time away from ensuring the quality of Drop 3 and could introduce new bugs (edge cases are fun!).

Believe me, I would like nothing better than to give you all of the awesome stuff we had cooked up for the holiday season this year, but practicality and priorities dictated otherwise this time. I hope you'll enjoy it when it does come around. :)

Thanks for dropping in.  I'm really disappointed about there being no Halloween this year.  Especially for you, since you did so much work on it.

• zombiechan likes this

Let not the wind, example find, to do me more harm than it purposeth :
Since thou and I sigh one another's breath,
Whoe'er sighs most is cruellest, and hastes the other's death.  
-John Donne

#12 eStorm

eStorm
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hey guys.

Thanks for finally canceling the holiday events. Even so I understand a lot of people and even some of the dev's really like that kind of stuff, at the end of the day it's just decoration/cosmetics. I think working finally on problems that have been around for months is something that's much better suited and a bigger gift for xmas than some pixel box i can place inside my house. Maybe next year we can look at events when the game is in a much better state or at least somewhat bug free stage.

#13 Typrop

Typrop
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hey guys.

That's really unfortunate to hear... :(

I believe I can confidently say that many of us were looking forward to it and it seemed like it was going to be a lot of fun as well.

If I may ask what about costumes that are not necessarily linked to Shade's  Eve lore or mechanic wise? When I was on the PTR(when the defile was available) I saw the ICI outfit for example available from the PvP vendor. I didn't purchase it or look if there was any specific requirements needed to be met though. Is that  type of outfit to be tied to Drop 3 or can that perhaps be pushed up. Sorry if this comes off as me being silly or a baby, just trying to maybe offer an option or two if possible. that may not subvert(for lack of a better word) the work you've done particularly related to Shades Eve and or any other content of that manner.

Thank you for dropping in, it's highly appreciated by the way. *hug*

#14 Vick

Vick
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

However, unlike housing, there is a huge mess of NPCs and scripting afoot in the cities, and their interaction with those plugs requires a lot of testing on their own merits.

I dunno. I think it might lighten the overall mood of the game to have random NPCs talking to pumpkins, arguing with spider webs, or having players buying mounts from a gravestone.

Or, you could make all of Illium's and Thayd's NPCs 50% transparent so when they walk through things we can all run around saying "Oh look! I found another ghost!"

God knows, it's time Tailor Livy died. ;)

Scaarinen Warbringer - 50 Chua Medic of The Skullkickers

Ray Beames (Draken Spellslinger) - Oni Geary (Mechari Engineer) - Vega Vitruvius (Cassian Stalker)

Leoni Clayshaper (Aurin Esper) - Skive Grimsaw (Mordesh Stalker) - Hyaline Libeskinned (Granok Warrior) - Ororo Munroe (Human Medic)

#15 KoalatheBarista

KoalatheBarista
  • Guests
  • LocationCONUS

Bummed, yep.  However, if it means you can get the ship properly sailing again and get Wildstar climbing the Sub ranks again.. ..it may be a bummer that, in the long run.. is worth it.  

Served up delicicious Forum Espressos and Cappuccinos since Winter Beta 1!   B) 

...and turned off the Lights of the Bistro on October 3rd, 2014.   :o 

#16 Naunet

Naunet
  • Members

So as people know, there won't be any halloween,possibly even a christmas this year from what I'm reading

I didn't know this... x.x ugh wow, that is incredibly disappointing... Like, seriously mega disappointing. :/

• DeaHamlet likes this
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunderstorm; and these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

#17 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Ultimately it was put aside because we, as a company, are focused on making the next patch as free of bugs as we can possibly manage.

If its of any consolation, I see making the hard choice to do that as a sign of this game's will to live.

(but I still really want the ICI pants and the black hoods coat - on the same character, not just faction locked :). Those assets that are NOT seasonally themed? Please look at getting them into player hands ASAP. Thank you.)

#18 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

That's really unfortunate to hear... :(

I believe I can confidently say that many of us were looking forward to it and it seemed like it was going to be a lot of fun as well.

If I may ask what about costumes that are not necessarily linked to Shade's  Eve lore or mechanic wise? When I was on the PTR(when the defile was available) I saw the ICI outfit for example available from the PvP vendor. I didn't purchase it or look if there was any specific requirements needed to be met though. Is that  type of outfit to be tied to Drop 3 or can that perhaps be pushed up. Sorry if this comes off as me being silly or a baby, just trying to maybe offer an option or two if possible. that may not subvert(for lack of a better word) the work you've done particularly related to Shades Eve and or any other content of that manner.

Thank you for dropping in, it's highly appreciated by the way. *hug*

Unfortunately, anything we did like this -- putting it into the game world, making it available on vendors -- would take more testing time at this point that we can't really ask for, as they've got a pretty tight schedule in testing all the things already. We're down to only hotfixing critical things in. I get -- and appreciate! -- you're seeking compromise by pointing out things that already exist in the Drop that might be moved up, but the removal of their place in the patch as well as the resulting hotfix to get them in might well end up creating bugs. For the moment, playing that fast and loose could still cause a lot of issues. Please hang in there with us, though... they're coming. :)

#19 Typrop

Typrop
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Unfortunately, anything we did like this -- putting it into the game world, making it available on vendors -- would take more testing time at this point that we can't really ask for, as they've got a pretty tight schedule in testing all the things already. We're down to only hotfixing critical things in. I get -- and appreciate! -- you're seeking compromise by pointing out things that already exist in the Drop that might be moved up, but the removal of their place in the patch as well as the resulting hotfix to get them in might well end up creating bugs. For the moment, playing that fast and loose could still cause a lot of issues. Please hang in there with us, though... they're coming. :)

I understand and thank you again for dropping in and replying, it's very much appreciated. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon so I'll wait it out and go kill a few more Aurin until then. :)

#20 Kavi

Kavi
  • Guests
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thank you for stopping by, at least!

This is still hugely disappointing to me, but as someone said above me, Drop 3 in nice condition would overall be worth much more than missing one round of holiday events!

Edit: My husband has been excited about this game ever since he left for deployment and has heard from me and a few friends about our various adventures and likes/dislikes. It'd be wonderful to have things ship-shape in time for him to enjoy them as much as possible when he returns home!

• Typrop likes this

Lucy Fur ~ Esper ~ Aurin ~ Scientist

<The Crimson Cross>

Twitter: @Stormyzors

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: holidays, costumes