Lead Class Designer

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Meerkat

CRB_Meerkat
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am the new Lead Class Designer Steven Engle, many of you may already know me as Meerkat. For the last year or two, I have been working as the principle Engineer Class and Balance Designer here at Carbine. Prior to Carbine, I started in the industry on a title called Magestorm(mad props if any of you remember it) circa 1996. I later moved on and worked on titles like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, and Battlestar Galactica Online in balance or class design roles.

Now that the professional background is out of the way, I grew up in Ohio. Go Buckeyes! I play a Chua Engineer and it is pink. I love watching Twitch streams of people raiding in WildStar. I like warm hugs.

On to the game and the future, we’re still working on general support class changes and fixing bugs. We have the AP/SP changes, Quality of Life Improvements, and bug fixes going live in the Defile patch. As our last class updates suggested, we are taking a closer look at support specs on all classes and making adjustments in the future.

Thank you all for every bit of feedback so far and for every bit of it in the future.

-Steven “Meerkat” Engle

Steven Engle - Lead Combat Designer - Carbine Studios
Wildstar Forums - CRB_Meerkat
Reddit - CRB_Steven
Twitch - Crb_Sengle
Twitter - Steven_Engle

#2 Brice

Brice
  • Members
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Congrats on the new job :).

• zombiechan and Kytar like this

Rocket - Stormtalon

Engineer DPS

6/6 GA

#3 Mayor DasMoose

Mayor DasMoose
  • Members
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Congratulations on leveling up on the job front!

• zombiechan and Kytar like this
This forum post is brought to you by the Re-Elect Mayor DasMoose committee. Remember, a vote for DasMoose is a vote for the secret military police not to break in to your house at night and put a black bag over your head, taking you to a secret prison where you'll never be seen again!

#4 Raijinn

Raijinn
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Welcome, welcome! We're looking forward to seeing what fun you have in store for us all here on the forums and in game!

Twitter: @Raijinn

#5 astronaut Albert

astronaut Albert
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

YOU.... YOU!!!

It is now all your fault!!  

I mean look at this just.... oh ... cograts on the promotion...

#6 BroFistForLife

BroFistForLife
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

I congratulate you on the promosion, now we need to see results. You are very much in a hot seat right now sir.

Healslinger 6/6 GA 8/9 DS40 - 9/9 DS20

Medic healer 6/6 GA 4/9 DS

Engineer DPS 6/6 GA

#7 Frozen_Storm

Frozen_Storm
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

Congrats on the promotion!

The road has been paved but still has plenty of holes in it. Looking forward to see what happens next.

• Kytar likes this

"DRED is unofficially grateful! But tell no one. Ever." - Mondo Zax

#8 Carthh

Carthh
  • Guests
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

My hero  :wub:

• katerade, DeaHamlet, Decadence and 1 other like this

www.twitch.tv/carthh_ws

#9 Benbe123

Benbe123
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Congrats on the promoton!

Your first test: Don't break GR!

#10 katerade

katerade
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

My hero  :wub:

^

Kellasaurus | Avatus | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

#11 Graiban

Graiban
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Good luck to you sir. Congratulations and I believe you will do a fine job. Engineers as a whole have confidence in you and that's a welcome breath of fresh air. 

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think you also worked on the Spellslinger

#13 MadBlue

MadBlue
  • Members
  • LocationHiroshima, Japan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

Congratulations! :D

#14 Mae Is Mean

Mae Is Mean
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Now that the professional background is out of the way, I grew up in Ohio. Go Buckeyes! I play a Chua Engineer and it is pink. I love watching Twitch streams of people raiding in WildStar. I like warm hugs.

-Steven “Meerkat” Engle

There is nothing about this part of the post I dislike. Main is an engy, my hubby's from Ohio (and I've never met someone from Ohio that I didn't love) and ... well you should really be raiding, not just watching others do it ;)

Congratulations!

Old Timers Guild                       Mae Is Mean                       Entity Server | NA-PVE
Maelya Mae - Cassian Esper | Maelani Mae Cassian Medic | Maenie Mae - Chua Engineer | Maerie Mae - Chua Spellslinger | Maedelyn Mae - Mechari Warrior | Maerilyn Mae - Mechari Stalker

Maekenna Mae - Mordesh Warrior | Maevyn Mae - Mordesh Spellslinger | Maewyn Mae - Mordesh Stalker | Maehymn Mae - Aurin Esper | Maelanie Mae -  Human Medic | Maeniac Mae - Granok Engineer

#15 Radashii

Radashii
  • Members
  • LocationGA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

I like warm hugs.

An awfully aurin thing to say from a chua I'd say.

Looking forward to your imput from your history, I haven't heard anything bad about class design and balances in your previous games. SO I'm excited to see what can be done for Wildstar!

A signature! A signature! It really is a signature! With hyperlinks too! 

#16 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

First: Welcome to the big chair. Its heady stuff, to be sure. The power of it. Pay no attention to the spikes, electrical cables, or the relaxing tub of water waiting for you to soak your feet in it...

On to the game and the future, we’re still working on general support class changes and fixing bugs. We have the AP/SP changes, Quality of Life Improvements, and bug fixes going live in the Defile patch. As our last class updates suggested, we are taking a closer look at support specs on all classes and making adjustments in the future.

Card on the table time: I bought a six month subscription when the game launched. I prefer both healing and tanking to DPS. Now that all pretense of having a regular release schedule has been pitched into the wind and Drop 3 seems to focus on DPS balance to the near total exclusion of tank and healer gameplay, should I expect this "closer look at support specs" to impact Live severs before my current subscription ends? Please factor in that most companies hibernate over the holidays.

#17 PGGR

PGGR
  • Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

Congratulations and the best of luck! :D

Thovain Silverthorn | 50 | Esper | Aurin Exile | Jabbit PvE MegaServer

Roleplayer | Housing Fanatic

Guild member of [The Voidrunners]

#18 Razhork

Razhork
  • Members

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

I look forward to your work Seangle  :D

Raz hork  ZhurAscendancy / Jabbit EU

Warrior DPS - the 35% rampage reset was not a lie - Illuminati II TT gone = Wildstar gone 

#19 Ico

Ico
  • Guests
  • LocationOxford - UK

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:39 AM

Welcome dude :D 

Ico ThreeFiddy - Medic DPS | <Immortalis Noctis> | 9/9 DS

If in doubt, Urgency the *cupcake* out - Ancient Medic Motto
If another word comes out of your *cupcake* mouth, I might just eat every chicken on this forum.

#20 ExaltedBlood

ExaltedBlood
  • Members

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

Sweet, welcome!

I must say that I appreciate all the work you guys are doing on the classes, I am aware it is a huge undertaking and will take time to get it mostly right or even partially fixed.

I think you guys rock.