Photo

Veteran Shiphand's Could be Rediculously FUN and INNOVATIVE!

verteran shiphands pve fu hardcore grind dailies innovate

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Jax Blake

Jax Blake
  • Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Caydiem can tell you I've been asking for veteran shiphands and level 50 shiphands since beta but they've got her working on these holiday events and city building instead of the good stuff.

#22 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Caydiem can tell you I've been asking for veteran shiphands and level 50 shiphands since beta but they've got her working on these holiday events and city building instead of the good stuff.

Agreed, as much as i like new content, id rather old content, already polished and great applied to new systems, like solo rng rule set challenges :)

#23 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I wish I felt confident enough about the future of Wildstar to do some random hint dropping on what maybe should have been the October drop before the Defile turned into a train wreck and the game started hemorrhaging subs like a stuck pig. How about building some confidence that you guys can release any content in a timely fashion? Because whatever this is, right now I'm not buying that its coming merely a month behind the third drop, whenever that actually occurs.

TL;DR You only get to look clever when you're not behind the eight ball.

You do realise the next patch will not only have a new zone larger than the previous two drops, but also a new arena and dungeon! Not to mention the plethora of major bug and system changes already mentioned. This patch rivals some of the stuff wow drops every 6 or so months.

And you complaining they cant deliver it very month! Im suprised they can deliver it at all, honestly while it sucks they have had to scale back the drops, i still think we will be getting a lot of content, regularly and of a higher standard. Not to mention the added focus on system fixing that will breath new life into the games current flailing systems. Im glad they are taking more time to polish and fix the game rather than just bring out broken content.

IE: whats the point of sabotage if pvp is broken? i still havnt played it. And Carbine realises this and hence is focusing on fixing the systems first.

That's just smart, and we are just impatient. :P

#24 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

I complain they replaced a schedule of their own choosing with "We have no idea when, but it'll be SO amazing (and bug-free!) when it happens."

I complain that pretty much by definition all further drops are delayed by that much if not more.

I complain that in an industry where "those aren't the same teams" is the argument of choice, that logic suddenly goes out the airlock when bug fixes are used as an excuse for content delays.

#25 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

I complain they replaced a schedule of their own choosing with "We have no idea when, but it'll be SO amazing (and bug-free!) when it happens."

I complain that pretty much by definition all further drops are delayed by that much if not more.

I complain that in an industry where "those aren't the same teams" is the argument of choice, that logic suddenly goes out the airlock when bug fixes are used as an excuse for content delays.

They never said never said those things as you have said them, "bug free" was never a promise, so dont just make stuff up becuase your butt hurt.

How can you know all further drops will be delayed? Maybe they are, maybe they arnt. But either way i dont care if the quality is improved as a result.

And "Those arnt the same teams", is not an excuse they make in regards to the things you mention, and when said, is not an excuse its a reality. They have been upfront in admitting they where over ambitious in their scheduel, and didnt plan on the massive player feedback, and have decided to focus on quality over quantity and player feed back changes.

Ideally i would like both quality and quantity, but mmo's are expected to churn out rediculous amounts of content just to keep players like yourself satisfied, compared to other genres of games that get away with charging for season passes on a fraction of the content updates. Frankly i feel sorry Carbine, for the hordes of complaining ingratful players that hound them constantly for perfection.

Most people cant see the forest through the trees, or see wildstar for the great game it already is, and promises to continue to be. They only see the failings, and whine that the game isnt as good as already well established titles. Titles that took vastly longer to acheive most of what wildstar has done at launch or shortly after it.

So continue to complain about what you dont have, while i will appreciate what i do have, and recognize that  its only going to get better from here.

Mega servers for the win :)

#26 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

They never said never said those things as you have said them, "bug free" was never a promise, so dont just make stuff up becuase your butt hurt.

Did. You. READ. The. Cupcaking. Press Release?

"Bug-Free" is right there on the page. Their words.

How can you know all further drops will be delayed? Maybe they are, maybe they arnt. But either way i dont care if the quality is improved as a result.

Because they aren't exactly crowing there will be TWO drops in October, now are they? So the fourth drop is late, because of the third, and so on ad infinitum. Lucky for them they have fans like you who don't care.

And "Those arnt the same teams", is not an excuse they make in regards to the things you mention

Yes it *cupcake* was. "Players had feedback" was used as the reason that the maps/encounters aren't being put out on time. Player feedback does not hold map up. Or did you not read ANY of the press release? Or maybe all this is because you're arguing from some parallel universe where everything is just peachy-keen?

#27 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Did. You. READ. The. Cupcaking. Press Release?

"Bug-Free" is right there on the page. Their words.

Because they aren't exactly crowing there will be TWO drops in October, now are they? So the fourth drop is late, because of the third, and so on ad infinitum. Lucky for them they have fans like you who don't care.

Yes it *cupcake* was. "Players had feedback" was used as the reason that the maps/encounters aren't being put out on time. Player feedback does not hold map up. Or did you not read ANY of the press release? Or maybe all this is because you're arguing from some parallel universe where everything is just peachy-keen?

I re read the press release, donatelli did say bug free. But honestly, we all know thats not possible. He obviously meant as bug free as possible, which was corroborated by stephan frost explicitly in the live stream. Are we going to hold them to their words, realistically knowing they wont acheive it? Not me, but i get the jist of what he was trying to say.

Will every drop now be late? Maybe, but once again, its seperate teams, the dungeon team isnt working on the housing stuff, etc: So just becuase they are slowing down, doesnt mean they wont deliver on time for EVERYTHING. A perfect example of this is the Shades Eve drop coming in October. Its a seasonal holiday drop, so it will always be on time, and was never effected by the new development schedule changes.

I had trouble reading your last point.

#28 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

To dispense with being coy and get to the real talk (and a bit back on topic):

Veteran shiphands are, as any player who's talked with me knows, something that's been on my wish list for a long time. Ever since we got rallying down for shiphands in there, the veteran button has sat there, greyed out, taunting -- and it's been taunting me as much as it has you folks!

There are a lot of things that go hand-in-hand with that implementation, however, in order to make it a good experience and viable for a level 50 repeatable activity. Itemization, accessibility (do you really want to hike out to Pilot Taboro's junky shuttle every time you want to run Veteran Gauntlet?), that sort of thing. That takes time outside of design, time that's been devoted to more important systems and features. And I completely agree with that allocation -- it's been stuff we've needed. I've been working on other things in the meanwhile, fun things that I can't talk about just yet in any detail, but those projects are coming to an end.

What this means is that the time to take a good hard look at what a "Veteran Shiphand" is, where it fits in the ramp of endgame content, and other ever-present questions has come. My team is rarin' to go. Do I have a time estimate? No. I can tell you we haven't started making them properly yet. But I can tell you that they're not just a twinkle in my eye anymore.

Stay tuned!

#29 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

To dispense with being coy and get to the real talk (and a bit back on topic):

Veteran shiphands are, as any player who's talked with me knows, something that's been on my wish list for a long time. Ever since we got rallying down for shiphands in there, the veteran button has sat there, greyed out, taunting -- and it's been taunting me as much as it has you folks!

There are a lot of things that go hand-in-hand with that implementation, however, in order to make it a good experience and viable for a level 50 repeatable activity. Itemization, accessibility (do you really want to hike out to Pilot Taboro's junky shuttle every time you want to run Veteran Gauntlet?), that sort of thing. That takes time outside of design, time that's been devoted to more important systems and features. And I completely agree with that allocation -- it's been stuff we've needed. I've been working on other things in the meanwhile, fun things that I can't talk about just yet in any detail, but those projects are coming to an end.

What this means is that the time to take a good hard look at what a "Veteran Shiphand" is, where it fits in the ramp of endgame content, and other ever-present questions has come. My team is rarin' to go. Do I have a time estimate? No. I can tell you we haven't started making them properly yet. But I can tell you that they're not just a twinkle in my eye anymore.

Stay tuned!

Awsome, so it sound then like you have a firm vision developed and are almost ready to start making it a reality?
If so, is there any hope of knowing what that vision/plan is prior to it being fully realised? I dont need promises, and i can handle and understand if things turn out to be unfeesible. 

#30 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

"We are now prepared to have a meeting to determine when to start having meetings."

I don't actually say that with malice. It's a point of on the timeline where a great many good things got their start. But I do hope we see some visible results in the PTR by, say, the beginning of March.

#31 Jax Blake

Jax Blake
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Caydiem knows I've been bugging her for Veteran shiphands for the longest time and I can only hope they work on Space Madness first and Gauntlet second.

#32 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Caydiem knows I've been bugging her for Veteran shiphands for the longest time and I can only hope they work on Space Madness first and Gauntlet second.

Totally agree with those priorities!

#33 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Stay tuned!

So, with Drop Four now scheduled for February at the earliest, my estimate of March was reasonably prophetic.

Any insights you can share as to whether Veteran Shiphands are on track to be part of Drop Four, or are they more likely in May 2015 with Drop 5?

#34 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

So, with Drop Four now scheduled for February at the earliest, my estimate of March was reasonably prophetic.

Any insights you can share as to whether Veteran Shiphands are on track to be part of Drop Four, or are they more likely in May 2015 with Drop 5?

Honestly, i imagine seeing it come after all the previously planned drops. I might be wrong, and they might reshuffle some drops around bu i see it being at least another 9 months away,  after all the drop content has come through. But thats my wild guess :)

#35 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Nah, we actually got some news on it today - Drop 4 will strive to hit in January and Veteran shiphands look promising to be part of that.

Good news. Maybe Caydiem will elaborate (after dealing with the holiday events crowd).

#36 damo2113

damo2113
  • Members

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

Nah, we actually got some news on it today - Drop 4 will strive to hit in January and Veteran shiphands look promising to be part of that.

Good news. Maybe Caydiem will elaborate (after dealing with the holiday events crowd).

As early as january. Thats actually much sooner than i hoped. Sweet. I also just found out dailies for Shiphands,dungeons,adventure,pvp,world bosses, and (other, new content implied) was in the pipeline. No ETA though.

#37 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

So yep, we're currently pushing to have Veteran Shiphands in the major patch after the coming Drop 3. We're in the thick of making them right now, Aurelian, c0rewolf and I. We're planning on having 'em come with the package of veteran shiphand dailies and the ability to utilize the group finder for both regular and veteran versions.

Playing through level 50 versions of our favorite missions is a lot of fun. We're tuning them carefully; we don't want them to be sleepwalks, but neither do we want them to be on the level of, say, Veteran Dungeons -- the ability to play through as a group without the trinity is important to us, and that means balancing accordingly. I look forward to sharing 'em with all of you. :D

#38 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

The ability to play through them ALONE is more valuable to me than making sure 4 healers can do it... :)

• Antimatter likes this

#39 CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

The ability to play through them ALONE is more valuable to me than making sure 4 healers can do it... :)

That'll be there too. ;)

#40 Nike Online

Nike Online
  • Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

*cheering sounds*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: verteran, shiphands, pve, fu, hardcore, grind, dailies, innovate