Esper Update - August

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 Asyreal

Asyreal
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Esper Post

Hey Espers, I wanted to take a moment to give a heads up of what changes you can expect in the next major patch. This patch we continued focus on underused abilities and ability tiers. You can expect to see the following:

·         New bonuses for standing still for both Assault and Support abilities.

·         Updated Abilities and Ability Tiers such as Telekinetic Strike, Spectral Swarm, Haunt, Mind Burst, Illusionary Blades, Blade Dance and Reap.

·         Soothes Telegraph should be fixed and should now show up for Allies.

·         Updated AMPs such as Tactician, B-I-N-G-O, and Mental Overflow.

·         With the upcoming changes to Assault and Support Power being adjusted to match other classes Superiority was performing far better than intended and has been adjusted to compensate for that change.

Beyond the adjustments listed above, we will be focusing on the Heal spec for a more distant patch. A few things we are investigating:

·         Improve Support style AMP selections.

·         Increase the viability of underused Abilities and Ability Tiers. 

#2 Mavek

Mavek
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Sweet jeebus TY! :wub:

Very curious to see what "Updated AMPs such as Tactician, B-I-N-G-O, and Mental Overflow" means.

"We can criticize without being sacks of shit." -Comp

#3 vanisha

vanisha
  • Guests
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

kinda concerned about the ap/sp changes, what's the deal with it?

i mean by essence a light armor will take more dmg but deal more dmg,

if everyone has the same ap/sp and ratios from milestones what are they aiming at?

• godseamonkey and Wetpaw like this

Vanou Nounounounou - 2.2k+ healing/dps Esper - Exile - EU

Navou Vouvouvouvou - Stalker - Dom - EU

#4 Unassorted

Unassorted
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Beyond the adjustments listed above, we will be focusing on the Heal spec for a more distant patch. A few things we are investigating:

Will you also be addressing the issue of brutality on pretty much every single piece of healing gear?

• Grumpdogg and Deanne like this

#5 Rennoko

Rennoko
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

kinda concerned about the ap/sp changes, what's the deal with it?

i mean by essence a light armor will take more dmg but deal more dmg,

if everyone has the same ap/sp and ratios from milestones what are they aiming at?

I thought the purpose of the AP vs. Main stat changes were to make main stat more valuable and AP not *best in all situations*?

#6 Gunba

Gunba
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong they're not making any changes to our AP/SP? They're changing other classes to use the same conversion we do from main stat and removing stance dependence.

Not sure how superiority makes any difference in this case though. Not looking forward to the standing-still bonuses either.

Parses (US)  Parses (OC) — Current Gear  Guild

#7 Unassorted

Unassorted
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Not sure how superiority makes any difference in this case though. Not looking forward to the standing-still bonuses either.

Why aren't you looking forward to the standing-still bonuses? The class was built to be a turret per-say and should have the ability, for people who want, to do that imo.

#8 Gerdi

Gerdi
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Standing-still bonuses are dangerous, because chance is, that our damage will be (again) balanced against our stand-still performance and not against our moving performance. Seeing that we currently sitting at 5th place they should rather bring our moving performance up to par.

• Grumpdogg and Yxx like this

#9 Unassorted

Unassorted
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Standing-still bonuses are dangerous, because chance is, that our damage will be (again) balanced against our stand-still performance and not against our moving performance.

If they do this then what would be the point in anyone playing an esper in a mobile game if the only way we would be able to compete would be to, yet again, stand still.

#10 Gunba

Gunba
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

Why aren't you looking forward to the standing-still bonuses? The class was built to be a turret per-say and should have the ability, for people who want, to do that imo.

I don't think penalizing a class for moving is a good idea. It encourages poor positioning in order to improve DPS.

It's also completely out of line with reality in a game like this - many encounters force you to move constantly.  Why should we be the exception?

#11 Rennoko

Rennoko
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

Because it is a mobile game and it is a lot more fun moving around than standing there.  I personally spin circles around mob groups now while using strike just for fun. 

I think most people fear that from the Min-Max standpoint the default will become stand still again all the time, because moving hurts DPS.  And then they balance our damage around the assumption we can always stand still, while the majority of fights don't account for that. 

It will come down to how they implement it, and if it allows for some movement to hold the buff as long as there is enough stationary every say 10 seconds.... but who knows at this point.

#12 Unassorted

Unassorted
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I don't think penalizing a class for moving is a good idea. It encourages poor positioning in order to improve DPS.

It's also completely out of line with reality in a game like this - many encounters force you to move constantly.  Why should we be the exception?

I agree. I was honestly curious as to why. I can possibly see it benefiting healing but then again Healspers have been able to move around freely for the most part.

#13 Gunba

Gunba
  • Members
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Because it is a mobile game and it is a lot more fun moving around than standing there.  I personally spin circles around mob groups now while using strike just for fun. 

I think most people fear that from the Min-Max standpoint the default will become stand still again all the time, because moving hurts DPS.  And then they balance our damage around the assumption we can always stand still, while the majority of fights don't account for that. 

It will come down to how they implement it, and if it allows for some movement to hold the buff as long as there is enough stationary every say 10 seconds.... but who knows at this point.

Yeah, I'm expecting this kind of implementation, which is more forgivable. A buff that resets when you stand still for x time. 

Any sort of binary penalty is just going to turn the class into a dumpster like it was pre-buff.

#14 Asyreal

Asyreal
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Standing-still bonuses are dangerous, because chance is, that our damage will be (again) balanced against our stand-still performance and not against our moving performance.

The DPS gained from using the Stationary AMPs/Tiers will be strictly a bonus. If you choose not to take advantage of the Stationary Tiers or AMPs you should not notice a DPS increase nor a decrease. 

#15 Gerdi

Gerdi
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

You just have to take the right perspective. Having a bonus for standing still is the same as having a penalty for moving. This observation holds in particular, if the balance us on the assumption we standing still. Then we would be back at square one, where we just have a movement penalty.

Edit: Just saw your post Asyral. Thanks for the clarification. However I am also thinking about balance considerations in the future. You will have to take our stand-still damage output into balance considerations in some form in future balance updates, which at the same time means, that our moving damage output will not be as high as it should be (e.g other classes). My concern is of more general nature.

#16 Nikioni

Nikioni
  • Members
  • LocationCosmos

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

·         Soothes Telegraph should be fixed and should now show up for Allies.

·         Soothes Telegraph should be fixed and should now show up for Allies.

Actually yelled with joy

#17 Auphi

Auphi
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

·         With the upcoming changes to Assault and Support Power being adjusted to match other classes Superiority was performing far better than intended and has been adjusted to compensate for that change.

I am not an Esper, but this seems weird to me.  I thought Espers (and Slingers) were having their scaling left untouched.  Other classes were being tuned to match our AP scaling (from weapons and main stat).  If Espers AP gains (gains from Moxie) are being untouched, why would Superiority end up performing stronger than it already does?

My guess is that this is either an oversight, or a retuning to decrease the strength of the amp while introducing other competitive options for Espers.

#18 Asyreal

Asyreal
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I am not an Esper, but this seems weird to me.  I thought Espers (and Slingers) were having their scaling left untouched.  Other classes were being tuned to match the AP we get from our weapons and stat.

My guess is that this is either an oversight, or a retuning to decrease the strength of the Amp (while introducing other competitive options for Espers).

Superiority will still exist it will just have it's contribution reduced. There are several new reworks and updates to abilities, tiers and amps that will more than make up for the change to Superiority. 

#19 Keaper

Keaper
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong they're not making any changes to our AP/SP? They're changing other classes to use the same conversion we do from main stat and removing stance dependence.

Exactly. this is confusing. The tank classes are being brought up to match our AP on weapons and the ratios. This was done to my knowledge to make runes and things that grant AP equal across all classes. Since no change is being made to esper AP, saying the superiority is being changed because of those changes just straight up does not make sense.

I could understand if it said that it was granting too much and it needed a nerf. but blaming it on AP changes that are not affecting this class seems wrong.

Edit: looks like a dev responded while I was typing this oO Nevermind.

#20 vanisha

vanisha
  • Guests
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

wait and see then to see how scaling works after the revamp.

am worried but time will tell :P

Vanou Nounounounou - 2.2k+ healing/dps Esper - Exile - EU

Navou Vouvouvouvou - Stalker - Dom - EU