Engineer - August Update

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 CRB_Meerkat

CRB_Meerkat
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hey All,

It’s that time again to give you an update on future changes to the Engineer.

Due to the fact that the DPS Stance damage increases were causing some imbalances within combat, we have normalized Assault Power across all classes and Support Power across all Tanks with the following changes:

·         Weapons have been normalized across all Classes

o   For example, equal Heavy Guns and Pistols will now grant the same amount of Assault and Support Power

·         Assault Power gained via Primary Attributes and Milestones has been normalized across all Classes

o   A classes Primary DPS stat now always grants 0.61 points of Assault Power

o   Assault Power Milestones will now always grant 24.4 points of Assault Power

·         Support Power gained via Primary Attributes and Milestones has been normalized across all Tanks

o   A classes Primary Support stat now always grants 0.61 points of Support Power (Tanks Only)

o   Support Power Milestones will now always grant 24.4 points of Support Power (Tanks Only)

·         All DPS stance damage increases have been removed

o   Tank stances now have damage dealt penalties

We will be making some adjustments that will address some quality of life issues, ability usage, and high Volatility sustain:

·         Removal of self-snare on all Engineer abilities.

·         Bot AI improvements, including adjustments to stances so they don’t all feel the same.

·         Reducing the amount of Volatility gained through Reckless Dash AMP.

·         Reduced the cooldown and made adjustments to Target Acquisition to make it less punishing to use.

·         Made multiple adjustments to Mortar Strike to improve the ease of use and change up the cadence of use.

This is some of what is happening in the near future. Beyond the adjustments listed above, we will be focusing on the tank spec in the following patch. A few things we are investigating:

·         Improve Support style AMP selections.

·         Improve reliability and usage of skills that increase survivability.

·         General look at Threat gained per damage dealt.

- Meerkat

Edited by Meerkat, 29 August 2014 - 07:52 AM.

Steven Engle - Lead Combat Designer - Carbine Studios
Wildstar Forums - CRB_Meerkat
Reddit - CRB_Steven
Twitch - Crb_Sengle
Twitter - Steven_Engle

#2 BadDogEDN

BadDogEDN
  • Members
  • Location'Murica

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

ZOMG! Much like, WOW!

• Mae Is Mean likes this

___          
 __|___|__               - Edowado -

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Trust Me I'm an Engineer"    

#3 Frozen_Storm

Frozen_Storm
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

All DPS stance damage increases have been removed

Is weapon normalization going to compensate for the loss of being in a DPS stance? Otherwise that's a 35% damage loss.

Good changes overall.

"DRED is unofficially grateful! But tell no one. Ever." - Mondo Zax

#4 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

All of those foreign language posts going up first was such a tease in the dev tracker.

·         Bot AI improvements, including adjustments to stances so they don’t all feel the same.

·         Reducing the amount of Volatility gained through Reckless Dash AMP.

·         Reduced the cooldown and made adjustments to Target Acquisition to make it less punishing to use.

·         Made multiple adjustments to Mortar Strike to improve the ease of use and change up the cadence of use.

This is literally everything I could have asked for.  Well, a unique CW-4 HVG model would be nice, but these will do just fine.

• Mae Is Mean likes this

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#5 CRB_Meerkat

CRB_Meerkat
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

I added a section that was left out by accident. Oops my bad.

Steven Engle - Lead Combat Designer - Carbine Studios
Wildstar Forums - CRB_Meerkat
Reddit - CRB_Steven
Twitch - Crb_Sengle
Twitter - Steven_Engle

#6 Revalted

Revalted
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

When will this be on the PTR??

#7 Harvester Conrad

Harvester Conrad
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Reducing the amount of Volatility gained through Reckless Dash AMP.

I don't really understand this? When raiding and in my bolt caster build I am seldom in a situation where I have too much volatility. So the adjustment to this is essentially a direct dps nerf. Secondly dashing for volatility is probably the most enjoyable part of playing an engineer. 

Have you done testing to see if the adjustments to AP on weapon compensate for a 35% damage nerf? 

Really none of these changes make playing an engineer more enjoyable in my opinion. 

#8 Spythe

Spythe
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Removing the Engineer self snare... GG, time to actually level that Engineer alt.

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#9 jonoelgrande

jonoelgrande
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

GG nerf engi into the ground. Reroll Medic time

#10 Spythe

Spythe
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

If that is all  you took out of the notes, that is just sad man. All stance changes are getting changed.

Spythe | Dominion(Entity - PvE) | Spellslinger

<Enigma>

https://www.youtube.com/user/spythe

#11 Auphi

Auphi
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I can't speak for Carbine, but yes, I think it will be an overall nerf.

That said, you're ignoring that you're probably going to gain ~800 AP from the itemization changes which will cover a lot of ground.

#12 Navity

Navity
  • Members
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Im liking the sound of some of these, however i have some mixed feelings.

Removal of self snare will be pretty damn awesome, however i honestly never felt like it ruined engineer. Just part of the game dynamic making positioning far more important.

The reckless dash nerf worries me, im mainly talking as a pvper. if down to 15 i can see the DPS going down but not drastically but if goes down to 10, im worried my DPS will take a large hit, Pulse blast is the worst builder in the game making players rely on reckless dash.

The Stance changes are global and our AP will be increased to make up for it, so i guess time will tell on this.

The only major concern i have is.

MEERKAT

Please let me jump and use pulse blast! I beg you meerkat! Try stop this change in defile!

Healers Heal Damage, Not stupidity

Navity Hazak.Myth- 50 Engineer - Jabbit- PVP - S1 2's 2200+ - S1.5 3's 900+ R1

Twitch PVP | Engineer PVP Guide

#13 Khalous

Khalous
  • Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

"Hey guys, we are normalizing you down to Spellslinger dps, but without the burst.  At least you won't have to hop around anymore.  Sorry about the bad support amps, at least you have good threat, gonna drop your tank stance damage though.  Promise it will even out with the 'normalized dps."

Tanks use Dashing for generation as well, can you at least give us 2 seconds to get into combat before volatility drops out of combat?

On a side note, I would be interested to see how the 'bad' support tree amps will react to higher support power values.  Hopefully we will be pushed up to medium armor weapon values, or even better light armor weapon values.  Healing for 150-160 every other second is only good when you are looking at 1-2k health pools, not 40k.  having 2500sp instead of 1500sp will not dramatically change things, but it may stack up.

P.S. On a side note, using Urgent Withdrawal is terrible in raids.  A little bit of latency and my 180' flip + UWdoubletap will not keep me on the X89 platorm at all.  It doesn't leap you high at all, and its slow, at least look into making like a backwards warrior leap.

#14 Killgore

Killgore
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

All excellent changes, even the Reckless Dash change.  I always felt Reckless Dash was a really poor design decision to begin with; yes it adds some risk vs reward mechanic to the Engineer class, but it's a bad one.  In exchange, to align with healthy class design, but not straight nerf Engineers (if that is your intention Carbine), possibly Carbine can make Mode: Eradicate generate 10~ extra volatility in some fair way.  It would compensate for the 10 loss from Reckless Dash, but not alter the class's balance level.  Even if the 10 volatility loss was an intentional DPS nerf, I suppose it's hardly a game breaking one.

#15 Quietmode

Quietmode
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

General look at Threat gained per damage dealt.

The biggest issue with threat scaling with tanks in this game, is the available stats on gear that increase our threat.  It is alarmingly small compared to what is available for DPS:

Tanks only have the two following on their gear:
Support Power (Directly or Stat)

Strikethrough (Direct only)

DPS have:

Assault Power (Direct or Stat)

Critical hit Chance (Direct or Stat)

Critical Severity (Direct or Stat)

Strikethrough (Direct or Stat)

And strikethrough is only on ~2-3 items which makes it a very poor gain and scales horribly.

If you look at, say protection paladins, in WoW.   They gain threat from several stats which are on multiple pieces of gear (Haste, Expertise, hit, Strength/Attack)

On the flip side, I'm kind of disappointed that Wildstar hasnt forced Grit to be on every raid item.  Most of our DPS has the exact same HP in Datascape that they had when we started Genetic Archives, which basically makes the healing increases our healers have gotten moot.   It is my opinion that every peice of raid gear should have Grit on it and increase as you go through the raid teirs so that player HP scales somewhat in regards to fight difficulty.

• Khalous and reaver999 like this

<Voodoo>
~ Engineer Tank ~ Esper Healer ~
Twitch

#16 Nightshlin

Nightshlin
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Please don't nerf reckless dash. That's the main reason I rolled engineer was that I enjoyed dashing to generate volatility and not having to use a builder. For as many people who don't like the mechanic I'm sure there are people who enjoy it. Just make other abilities useful to open up other options, which it seems you are trying to do with Target Acquisition.

Also, I hope you are removing the resistance reduction in eradication stance if you are removing the damage buff for it. Otherwise it feels like you are forcing us to use this stance by reducing damage in provoke stance. It will feel like why am I using this stance that gives me negatives for 50 seconds out of every 60? Sure you would have threat issues if you were a dps in provoke stance, but stances just don't really feel like stances anymore. It feels more like we have a tank stance and an innate button we press every 60 seconds and sucks the rest of the time.

• reaver999 likes this

#17 XtraShmedium

XtraShmedium
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm paranoid these are too many changes at once. VERY PARANOID !

And yes! Please don't mess with reckless dash , please.

• reaver999 likes this

#18 Killgore

Killgore
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Reckless Dash doesn't logically make any sense.  How does rolling constantly generate volatility?  If anything, Warriors should have Reckless Dash; at least their Kinetic Energy class resource aligns with movement.   There simply should be more interactivity between Engineer abilities regarding volatility beside:

- Dash, dash, hit all cds and roll face across keyboard, dash, shoot, shoot, dash, shoot, repeat on next cd cycle.

• Drebble and Vexzie like this

#19 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Please don't nerf reckless dash. That's the main reason I rolled engineer was that I enjoyed dashing to generate volatility and not having to use a builder. For as many people who don't like the mechanic I'm sure there are people who enjoy it.

It is a necessary change, because Reckelss Dash makes the majority of our builders redundant.  It is only being nerfed, not removed, so it should hopefully remain mostly intact for people that enjoy that playstyle but won't be mandatory for competitive dps.

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#20 bitter vet

bitter vet
  • Members

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

If that is all  you took out of the notes, that is just sad man. All stance changes are getting changed.

Everything in this notes is actually fine and normalized stats should be in the game from launch. However I personally don't like the underlying tone,  -engineer DPS is getting nerfed-. And I see a problem in that. Beside high constant damage we have nothing to offer, no burst, no mobility, no group buffs (even T7 BS doesn't stack with T8 PE). I mean if I don't top meters or give buffs, why not roll a spellslinger?

• reaver999 and Harvester Conrad like this