• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#1 7ofswords

7ofswords

Lead Systems Designer

• Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Greetings Nexians!

We're making some changes to the way that AMP Power Upgrades and Ability Tier Unlocks are awarded. For the uninitiated, players earn AMP Power points and Ability Tier unlocks naturally through leveling up in Wildstar. Special items can be found throughout the game however that further boost your character's AMP points and Ability Tier unlocks. These items, based on our data and from feedback from players simply do not drop enough. We're addressing this issue on a number of fronts that I am happy to describe in some detail below:

Increased world drop chance from level 50 creatures

These items have become substantially more likely to drop from creatures on landscape. They will still be rare, but not nearly so rare as they have been in the past. A very dedicated group could see these on a semi-regular basis. These items are trade-able.

Increased drop chance from PVP Victory bags, added them as a rare reward in PVP participation bags

Winning matches now has a better chance to provide these items. Additionally, these items now have a rare chance to drop from participation. These items are trade-able.

Added a new single-use AMP Power Upgrade to endgame reputations

Reaching beloved reputation with organizations in Containment R-12, Crimson Badlands and Northern Wastes will allow players to purchase new single-use amp power upgrades. For example: A character can only benefit from the Crimson Badlands AMP Power Upgrade once, but they could then go purchase the Northern Wastes AMP Power Upgrade and benefit from that as well. These items are not trade-able.

Added a new single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to Blighthaven reputation

As above the player may only benefit from the Blighthaven Ability Tier Unlock point once. It is available for purchase at the Beloved tier. This item is not trade-able.

Added two new single-use AMP Power Upgrades and a single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to the Prestige Vendor

As above the player may only benefit from each Prestigious AMP Power Upgrade and Ability Tier Unlock Point once. The Amp Power Upgrades each cost 4,000 Prestige and have no level or rating requirement. The single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point costs 5,000 Prestige and has no level or rating requirement. These items are not trade-able.

Added new single-use AMP Power Upgrades and single-use Ability Tier Unlock Points to Gold Medal Veteran Dungeons

Completing each veteran dungeon with a gold medal result will always award a unique single-use AMP Power Upgrade or single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point for the group to roll on. Only players who have never used it before may roll on it. These items are not trade-able.

• Stormtalon's Lair and Kel Voreth each reward a single-use AMP Power Upgrade for achieving a Gold Medal.
  • Skullcano and Sanctuary of the Swordmaiden each reward a single-use Ability Tier Unlock for achieving a Gold Medal.

Added a single-use AMP Power Upgrade and single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to path level rewards

Reaching path level 15 with your chosen path will now reward players with a single-use AMP Power Upgrade. Reaching path level 30 will now reward players with a single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point. These items are not trade-able.

These changes are currently being tested and will arrive on servers soon. Thank you for the feedback and stay tuned as we have plenty more to discuss in the coming weeks!

#2 Red Panda

Red Panda
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

THank you so much now I can finally roll an alt. <3

There's heaven for the cruel.

But the devil waits for the kind.

#3 PigNaBlanket

PigNaBlanket
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Great! This is smart.

PigNaBlanket - Stalker

Widow (Exile)

#4 Feign.

Feign.
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Great news! Glad i made the right decision not to grind elder gems for them nor spend vast amounts of plat. I was confident you'd provide much better solutions and you haven't disappointed.

Hazak EU

Dominion  Exile 

Zari   Wombo  ■ Rufio   Baianá  ■ Bluebird  Erlenmeyer 

#5 Artereis

Artereis
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

These are good because they still take some work to achieve, but give players something to look forward to other than forking over elder gems in order to attain them.

#6 Vellgar

Vellgar
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

Wonderful! And this gives the R-12 daily event in malgrave actually worth doing for the rep now probably.

Member / Prophecy Gaming Community / Server: Pergo / Race: Granok / Class: Engineer

My Housing Twitter --- https://twitter.com/Vellgar

Guild YouTube channel --- https://www.youtube....1ProphecyGaming       Guild Twitch TV channel ---  http://www.twitch.tv...aming_community

#7 Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington
  • Guests
  • LocationSan Diego

Seriously Carbine? The only real long term carrot you had and you nerf it?

I suppose Hardcore was just a buzzword huh?

Wut?  This was one of the major crappy design decisions they had in the game at launch.  Having an extra 8 tier ability points is OP as hell in PVP and PVE.  I'm glad they're making it easier to get them.  Nothing like hitting level 50 and still not being a real level 50 for 6+ more months waiting on AMP and ability points.

#8 Nazryn

Nazryn
  • Members

I got a better "seriously":

Seriously Nazryn? With all the aspects and dev choices/behavior about this game you defend, this is the one where you complain?

One of the most commonly loathed grindfests in all of Wildstar?

I don't even...  :mellow:

Hey, your mileage may vary. I personally liked the time investment. Reminded me of OG limit points / Dynamis from XI. 

I think out of all the things that should have been changed this shouldn't have been high on the list... but as they say; The squeaky wheel gets the oil. I naively thought Carbines 'Hardcore' attitude would limit the QQ pandering. I was mistaken.

Wut?  This was one of the major crappy design decisions they had in the game at launch.  Having an extra 8 tier ability points is OP as hell in PVP and PVE.  I'm glad they're making it easier to get them.  Nothing like hitting level 50 and still not being a real level 50 for 6+ more months waiting on AMP and ability points.

Lets be real Rex; if some one elses extra T8 is making you fail in PvP.... Your enemy isn't the problem.

#9 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Wonderful!

Added a single-use AMP Power Upgrade and single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point to path level rewards

Reaching path level 15 with your chosen path will now reward players with a single-use AMP Power Upgrade. Reaching path level 30 will now reward players with a single-use Ability Tier Unlock Point. These items are not trade-able.

Make sure these go out to people already at cap.  There's a poor history of new path rewards ignoring people that are already level 30.

Also, any word on the tradeable upgrades getting a spot in the CX?

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#10 Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington
  • Guests
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hardcore has and always will refer to the highest level of time investment (aka active participation in content). 

Hardcore WoW players didn't need terribly much skill to press 10 buttons in order; 

Hardcore FFXI players didn't needs terribly much skill to time 8 weapon skills and a Magic burst

Hardcore Hello Kitty Players don't need terribly much skill to max their crafts

The list goes on...

WOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

hahaha

Now I can't take anything you say seriously.  So based on what you just said hardcore WoW raiding guilds that burn through content a week after it's released in crappy gear is because they put MORE time in than the scrubs that take 6 months wiping over and over and gearing up.

Edit:  And yes... At top tier PVP if you're evenly skilled then an extra t8 is gamebreaking...

#11 Saraborg

Saraborg
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Nazryn sells these so he's bummed.

For everyone else, we are overjoyed!

Thank you so much, Carbine!!  I can already see the life coming back to level 50 activities =D

I would also consider adding a chance 10x higher than global drop rates on world bosses to help those with attunement and give a more 'epic' feel to them, but this will finally solve the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness in character improvement people feel when stuck against an RNG wall.

#12 Nazryn

Nazryn
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Now I can't take anything you say seriously.  So based on what you just said hardcore WoW raiding guilds that burn through content a week after it's released in crappy gear is because they put MORE time in than the scrubs that take 6 months wiping over and over and gearing up?

Yup. They put more time into memorizing the fights / more time into min/maxing , more time into prep and consumables , and more time in general. Are there people who will log in and stand in a single spot and do notheing ad infinitum? Sure. But overall, Hardcore ~= time investment.

#13 Naecabon

Naecabon
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Will you be increasing the cap at all? Those of us at 7 skill / 10 amp now just have a whole bunch of unusable ones to purchase that sit in our bank, assumingly waiting for a cap increase some day?

Naecabon
Nepenthium (US-Widow PvP) Guild Leader
nepenthium.shivtr.com

#14 Nazryn

Nazryn
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

For everyone else, we are overjoyed!

Nah I'm just an Old School MMO player, who came to W* with the promise of a Vanilla WoW / OG MMO redeux...

The fact that it continually ruins what OG feel it had is disappointing IMO. Obviously YMMV.

#15 mystic1

mystic1
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

great changes!

#16 Tenner

Tenner
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I knew it.

Spill the beans Nazryn: Which ultra-rare mob in a remote corner of the world has that 100% drop rate? WHICH ONE?! SAY IT.

#17 Nazryn

Nazryn
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

I knew it.

Spill the beans Nazryn: Which ultra-rare mob in a remote corner of the world has that 100% drop rate? WHICH ONE?! SAY IT.

Haha, I know I'm in the minority here, but i really did genuinely like the rarity... It really makes me sad that the Hardcore / time intensive things in game are pretty much gone now besides raiding....

#18 Mavek

Mavek
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Fantastic! Glad to see these are more accessible now. Spreading the unlocks through the available content was a good move. Variety is good! :D

It's remarkable that the first post here is a positive one.

"We can criticize without being sacks of shit." -Comp

#19 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

One issue I have is that this is 7 AMP Power upgrades out of the 10 max and 4 Ability Tier Point unlocks of out the 7 max.  Are these single use items at least going to be vendorable for elder gems, for us fools that have used 4+ Amp upgrades or 4+ Ability point unlocks?

Edited by dinwitt, 25 August 2014 - 01:28 PM.

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#20 tortilla

tortilla
  • Members
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Seriously Carbine? The only real long term carrot you had and you nerf it?

I suppose Hardcore was just a buzzword huh?

These are for amp/skill points, not raiding. As it's been said over and over and over again, the only thing they said would be "hardcore" is the raiding.