Development Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
445 replies to this topic

#181 tortilla

tortilla
  • Members
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Usually I'm all for food analogies, but this is a bad one.

You would still have to take a chance when "eating for the 8th time" because you won't know how the dish turned out until it's on your table.

In an MMO's case you can directly observe what has been fixed before you jump back in.

If the restaurant gave me a rundown on how they've changed the recipe since the last time or cleaned up the kitchen or whatever: Yeah sure, I'll be back.

The whole point of that was, you wouldn't go back the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th time. If they were horrible the first few visits, they are going to be horrible the next few visits. After that, I am not even going to think twice about looking back. I can get better food & service elsewhere.

#182 Gedi

Gedi
  • Members
  • LocationSouthern California, USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I really hope Carbine's takeaway from this thread is that people don't trust them to get the game back on track, which was the original point of the thread, I believe.  To gain our trust back, you need to do an actually-detailed post outlining what changes will come, and when.  

Please, I love this game, and your response is really disheartening.  The bug fixes really need to be a priority, and really can't wait.  

Also:

(pages and pages of nonsense clipped)

stop-saying-words-llama.jpg

• Beckstir likes this

Like my content?  Check out my channel:                                                NERF HOUSING:  Player Housing Tips & Tricks with Erector Gedi                                                    Come build something OP with me!
                                                                                                                                                                                                             @ErectorGedi

#183 Tenner

Tenner
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Did we play the same Guild Wars 2? Haha.. Rose Colored Lenses to make arguments seem valid. :P

That bugged.... everything in Orr... for months...

But sure, super smooth game, 10/10 Arenanet quality.  :rolleyes:

The whole point of that was, you wouldn't go back the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th time. If they were horrible the first few visits, they are going to be horrible the next few visits. After that, I am not even going to think twice about looking back. I can get better food & service elsewhere.

Well as I said, if you consider Wildstar to be completely "horrible" due to its issues, suit yourself. It makes no sense to me when people say they will stay if things are fixed (because why bother if it's horrible anyway?), but oh well.

• Lethality and War Siren like this

#184 Lethality

Lethality
  • Guests
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

because they offer comparable services unlike wildstar vs WoW?

sit down.

Really, what's different between WildStar and WoW? I can only see things in WildStar's favor.

Unhappy with this post? Ignore me here.

#185 Scerick

Scerick
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Because 15$ a month isn't anywhere near what Blizz charges for all the discs for their expacks.  There's a reason they can put them all on sale for a total of 20$ every now and then.

Game boxes pay for their development.  15$ pays for maintenance and fixes.  Which is what you're getting, Blizzard spent six months playing this game with bugs at their launch (I was there).  Carbine's done pretty damn well, especially considering their size.

But NCSoft allows them to swing harder than they could on their own.  I hardly feel haughty enough to castigate Carbine for having a more polished product at launch with less staff.

Checkmate until you actually switch your brain on.  :rolleyes:

Niche game (which Wildstar was always going to be, let's not kid ourselves) = less sales, less subs => needs to be the same price to sustain a smaller number of employees.

Are you really this easy to impress with "arguments"?

That 1/20th comment was made in satire to illustrate how silly the "But blizzard has more developers" argument.

If you can't fix your base game that has been in development for 9 years in a reasonable time frame (more than 4 weeks is not a reasonable time frame), and only having 221 developers is the reason you can't - then you need to hire more people.

It doesn't matter what the excuses are - it doesn't matter if Carbine "planned" on having a niche MMO with less players.  The simple fact is they are competing with other products that are more polished and charging the same price.

#186 Raijinn

Raijinn
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

While we’re going to be pushing out our bigger update, we’re committed to updating WildStar with smaller bug fixes and feature updates in our hotfixes and weekly updates, as the schedule permits (typically weekly, but it can be a bit longer from time to time). These smaller updates are not affected by the shift in development focus and you will continue to see improvements to the game.

Twitter: @Raijinn

#187 Zampakto

Zampakto
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

This has been discussed, ad nauseum, by people and actually detracted by the people who posted it in support of Wildstar's issues.  According to that, Wildstar is doing better than FFXIV:ARR, which we know to not be the case, and still one of the most played games on Earth, which we know it isn't and are okay with.

If you want, I can link you to one of the places it was brought up.

Blessed be your keyboard to type the words I think Vic.

The problem is not to compare Carbine or Wildstar to other editors or games. We need solutions to keep people on the game to puplate servers and to help the game grow and actually the delay on the drop is breeding more and more unsubscriptions which is bad, It would be great to get concrete deadlines and dates!

#188 Tenner

Tenner
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

then you need to hire more people.

With the money you were never going to get because the target audience was never big enough? Super cool story.

#189 Lethality

Lethality
  • Guests
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

While we’re going to be pushing out our bigger update, we’re committed to updating WildStar with smaller bug fixes and feature updates in our hotfixes and weekly updates, as the schedule permits (typically weekly, but it can be a bit longer from time to time). These smaller updates are not affected by the shift in development focus and you will continue to see improvements to the game.

Now can everyone please stop?  Carbine doesn't want problems in the game any more than you do.

• dinwitt and Vick like this

Unhappy with this post? Ignore me here.

#190 Scerick

Scerick
  • Members

With the money you were never going to get because the target audience was never big enough? Super cool story.

And it's somehow not Carbine's fault they launched with a flawed (according to you) business model?  What point are you exactly trying to make?

#191 Aggronaught

Aggronaught
  • Guests

Which is what you're getting, Blizzard spent six months playing this game with bugs at their launch (I was there).  Carbine's done pretty damn well, especially considering their size.

But NCSoft allows them to swing harder than they could on their own.  I hardly feel haughty enough to castigate Carbine for having a more polished product at launch with less staff.

Funny I keep hearing this arguement over and over, WoW was buggy at release so it's ok for wildstar to be buggy. In fact is WoW was more enjoyable than any other game on the market at release with better gameplay/content which is unfortuantely not the case with wildstar. 3 months into the game and we are still riding on the "WoW was bugged" train, I too was there, WoW was miles ahead of the competition when it was released which wildstar is not. It is the the same reason all the BioWare whiteknights used before that game was driven to the ground, I see history repeating over and over with every new MMO release, wildstar is not an exception.

• Scerick and Mamatereza like this

#192 War Siren

War Siren
  • Members
  • LocationSinging Songs Of War

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

because they offer comparable services unlike wildstar vs WoW?

sit down.

You know all most all sub based games offer, the same monthly subscription charge. Just saying

Also you know WoW had the same sub charge when it was released and a buggy PoS that it does now 10 years later now that it's been polished (and STILL has bugs) also how was that almost full year with absolutely no new content in WoW treating ya? Or how does them promising not to do that (A SECOND TIME NOW!) and out right lying make Blizzard a better company?

Just saying, WoW isn't all it's cracked up to be and a bag of chips, people just find it easier to go back there, because a lot of people have it as a security blanket with years of investment in it. If you were a new gamer, you probably wouldn't think WoW was all that terrific compared to newer games.

WoW's whole market scheme anymore is hoping they can get you to cling to that time you invested in your character and keep throwing them money.

• Byol and Tenner like this

"The song of war sweeps over men of ill intent, like a siren calling a sailor to home her bosom."

Characters of choice: War Siren - Warrior - Exiles - Entity & Keraya Skulltaker - Warrior - Dominion - Warhound

#193 Aggronaught

Aggronaught
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

This is a good move. Most people don't give a flying *cupcake*about the 5 quests and 1 zone that you guys call "new content" not to mention half the quests don't work on release anyway.

#194 Naix

Naix
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Really, what's different between WildStar and WoW? I can only see things in WildStar's favor.

Well, in my opinion, WoW's raiding/combat/PvP/customization turned incredibly boring and I won't ever go back at this point. All I think WS needs at this point are bug fixes; especially to healslingers, trigger fingers, and pvp fixes. Personally, I think every other MMO out there is junk anyways so I don't see what "greener field" people are jumping to other than the WoW expansion hype train.
  • zombiechan likes this

#195 Scerick

Scerick
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

You know all most all sub based games offer, the same monthly subscription charge. Just saying

Also you know WoW had the same sub charge when it was released and a buggy PoSthat it does now 10 year slater now that it's been polished (and STILL has bugs) also how was that almost full year with absolutely no new content in WoW treating ya? Or how does them promising not to do that (A SECOND TIME NOW!) and out right lying make Blizzard a better company?

Just saying, WoW isn't all it's cracked up to be and a bag of chips, people just find it easier to go back there, because a lot of people have it as a security blanket with years of investment in it. If you were a new gamer, you probably wouldn't think WoW was all that terrific compared to newer games.

WoW's whole market scheme anymore is hoping they can get you to cling to that time you invested in your character and keep throwing them money.

Funny, as bugged as WoW supposedly was it was still miles ahead of the competition at the time.  You can't say the same about W*.

#196 tortilla

tortilla
  • Members
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

That bugged.... everything in Orr... for months...

But sure, super smooth game, 10/10 Arenanet quality.  :rolleyes:

Well as I said, if you consider Wildstar to be completely "horrible" due to its issues, suit yourself. It makes no sense to me when people say they will stay if things are fixed (because why bother if it's horrible anyway?), but oh well.

See, now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that. You asked a question as to why people say they are leaving, and never come back, as opposed to halting their subscription for a month and coming back after a certain period of time. I answered your question, it had nothing to do with my personal feelings toward the game.

I won't lie, I'm definitely bitter, but I am still in that 'benefit of the doubt' stage, as I really enjoy the raiding and housing in this game. Though, it's very difficult to continue enjoying it, knowing that my class has been near unplayable for almost a month, and we're talking both specs of the class, not just one.

#197 miasu

miasu
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Does not look like there will be a patch this week so is this a trend for the future?

#198 Ritchey

Ritchey
  • Members
  • LocationBoston

Maybe a dev could come into this thread and calm all of down?

Noooo that would make way too much sense, it would almost be something Riot would do.

The way Riot interacts with its fan base is probably the best out of any company i've ever witnessed, game devs could learn ALOT from them.

These devs started out like that but once the game started tanking they disappeared. Someone brought up that NCsoft may have cut some of their funding, which is entirely plausible.

<Voodoo> - Pago

Ritchey - Spellslinger

#199 Tenner

Tenner
  • Members

And it's somehow not Carbine's fault they launched with a flawed (according to you) business model?  What point are you exactly trying to make?

It's only a flawed business model if you underestimate people's simply incredible whine potential and entitlement to the same level of polish one of the biggest studios in the entire industry can deliver.

You don't go on a backpacker vacation and expect air conditioned flower scented bathrooms.

I knew what I signed up for when I bought an ambitious MMO made by a relatively small crew.

Obviously too many other people didn't.

• Byol likes this

#200 War Siren

War Siren
  • Members
  • LocationSinging Songs Of War

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Funny, as bugged as WoW supposedly was it was still miles ahead of the competition at the time.  You can't say the same about W*.

Actually yeah you really can, name one game that had as many features in at launch as WS did (refuse to use W* it's stupid.)? 

While it may not be the most accessible the end game according to many members of the top Guilds is the best raiding they've ever done, this is coming from people that were former world #1 WoW raiders.

So yeah it actually does.

Please keep trying though. :)

"The song of war sweeps over men of ill intent, like a siren calling a sailor to home her bosom."

Characters of choice: War Siren - Warrior - Exiles - Entity & Keraya Skulltaker - Warrior - Dominion - Warhound