Development Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
445 replies to this topic

#1 DapperDonatelli

DapperDonatelli
  • Carbine Studios Staff

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hey all,

So a lot of folks have been speculating about our next drop and I wanted to talk about it in detail.

The plan was to roll out a zone next month, and a pretty badass one at that. The new zone and its contents not only sets up the epic ongoing world story of WildStar, but provides more group and solo content along with costumes, items, etc. What we hadn’t planned for was the mountain of feedback. You guys have been vocal about everything from bugs, early level content, attunement, PvP and Elder Game. And we were listening.

Because of that, we decided to make a change. We are adding a month’s worth of feedback and bugfixes to the mix based on player feedback and user experiences. These are changes to core systems such as economy, classes, PvP, crafting - you name it. We’re knocking out bugs and making changes to improve your gameplay experience. We want to roll these issues into the patch with the new zone content and that’s going to take some more time.

How much time you ask? That’s an excellent question! We’re going to take the time to make sure that this next patch is not only badass but bug free. I’ll update you again shortly with the list of details on what’s being addressed in the game and the timeframe.

And from the entire team, thanks for your continued patience and support. We can’t do this without you.

Mike Donatelli

Product Director

Carbine Studios

”A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

#2 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Guests
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

I think what most people want to know is when the attunement and rune changes will get here. Do we have to wait for the bug-free content drop or will they happen in a weekly patch?

Also... FIRST.

• Atreties, Ico, Toxic and 6 others like this

Mahanaxar the Mohawked Mordesh Medic

Officer of <Darkhand> (Pago-PvP) - http://www.the-darkhand.com

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#3 Count Oakland

Count Oakland
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

I think what most people want to know is when the attunement and rune changes will get here. Do we have to wait for the bug-free content drop or will they happen in a weekly patch?

Since the attunement changes will not require introducing new content or systems, I would hope they will be included in a weekly patch.

Allizan 50 Exile Human Warrior Soldier • Lono 50 Exile Human Engineer Scientist

Thunderfoot NA

#4 Rocio

Rocio
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

I 100% support this decision.

I love you like a rock... but bugs will put a damper in any relationship.
  • ZiddersRoofurry and zombiechan like this

Do you like stories? I wrote one!  Read it here. :D 

#5 Toxic

Toxic
  • Members
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Honestly Donatelli I am just gonna be super frank and blunt with you here. I came to the game expecting monthly drops, if you guys can't fulfill that I don't see much of a reason to stay anymore. I hope at least the rune system will be changed this scheduled drop because if it doesn't I don't see myself sticking around this month either.

EDIT: By "Scheduled Drop" I'm referring to september 3rd. Also quite displeased with your half-ass way of announcing major model changes.

• The Geneparmesan likes this

#6 Atreties

Atreties
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

POPULAR

What is the purpose of waiting to drop these changes with a content patch? The content is cool and nice, but I dont see the benefit from doing one enormous content patch with all the fixes.

It seems to me that all this does is delay the fixes we need unnecessarily while increasing the chances for a buggy content drop due to the enormity of stuff being changed.
  • Toxic, Hoppy, reaver999 and 15 others like this

#7 PigNaBlanket

PigNaBlanket
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

I do agree with ^. I'd think it would be better for your bottom line to roll out feedback fixes asap and hold off on any content updates. Either way, I hope this time is well used. A lot of us are rooting for you. Personally, I have to step away from the game currently because I can't play it without becoming bitter and frustrated. I will check back as fixes are implemented and hope to make Wildstar my full-time pvp game sooner rather than later. GL. 

Here are a few loving suggestions that I think are essential to the current gaming meta:

-lower entrance barriers across the board. In pvp, this means drastically reducing gear dependence. In pve, this means getting people prepared and ready to raid in a timely manner. Do away with ability/amp upgrades...seriously terrible design choice and only act to increase barrier of entrance.

-Find ways to make alting viable. One character gets boring and trying to level, EG cap, get ability/amp upgrades, ect on multiple characters is ridiculous. Alting is essential to game longevity.

-pvp needs to be skill based and have no more than minuscule gear dependence. Seriously, no one has or will take it seriously otherwise(except for exploiters and pubstompers). This is 100% true and needs to be the core tenant of your pvp system. Low barrier of entrance and skill (instead of time, grind, ect.) dependence is 100% of the reason from the shift of mmo to moba in the last 5 years. 

-casual content pays the bills, seriously the vast majority of mmo players will never be more than casual. You need meaningful content with low difficulty and ways to get them to group with little effort. This DOES NOT replace your current raiding systems. You need one pugable pre-raid. That does not mean you need to lower dificulty on current raids. It means you offer a scaled down difficulty version that a LFRaid group can do. The rewards should be between dungeon quality and raid quality. This gives casuals something meaningful to do and trains them to work in groups and raid on larger scales.

• Naunet, darkhalf, vvar and 3 others like this

PigNaBlanket - Stalker

Widow (Exile)

#8 Lethality

Lethality
  • Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Props dude. Stay the course, you guys are getting it right.

Unhappy with this post? Ignore me here.

#9 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Guests
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Stay the course

carvey_as_bush.jpg

• Lethality likes this

Mahanaxar the Mohawked Mordesh Medic

Officer of <Darkhand> (Pago-PvP) - http://www.the-darkhand.com

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#10 haisenkalle

haisenkalle
  • Guests
  • LocationGER

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

On the one hand, I appreciate this so much. On the other hand, pushing an update of that size into one thing will probably lead into something unwanted. I do not hope for something bad but I fear that this will not go right.

• Toxic, DeaHamlet and ToBbErT like this

[recruitment OPEN - looking for (exceptional) German players - klick mich]

[GER] MODIFIED // www.hlyst.de (former: Dunning Kruger)

[GA 6/6] [DS 8/9] #yolo #medic #jabbit #ascendancy #ikthiaGER #chua

#11 IIIII

IIIII
  • Guests
  • LocationBannedia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

POPULAR

Don't postpone balance changes that are ready for the sake of releasing everything in one package. It sounds like you're going to intentionally hold off on things so that when drop 3 finally hits you can say "Oh look at all this wonderful stuff that came with this update". I can pretty much guarantee you that if the Warrior Tank and Medic field changes don't come out in the next few weeks, there won't be many people left to enjoy them, myself included.

• Toxic, Hoppy, Villain1117 and 25 others like this

#12 Kalrell

Kalrell
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hi so great post Mr Donatelli, however I am worried about how unclear the following is:

How much time you ask? That’s an excellent question! We’re going to take the time to make sure that this next patch is not only badass but bug free. I’ll update you again shortly with the list of details on what’s being addressed in the game and the timeframe.

From my perspective postponing only appears a positive thing if this can be made a little less foggy.

Drop 2 was badly received due to how much it messed up Time to Kill in most low end pvp situations, and the bugs that got through the testing process like 360 Wild Barrage and spawn camping in Daggerstone.

On the one hand its great to hear that you'll take time to make sure Drop 3 is going to be more polished, but on the other hand the unknown amount of time this delay will take does seem to be a worrying point for some.

Then the question also falls if drop 3 is delayed for this unknown amount of time, where will drop 4 land and then this question tends to snowball. Some people are subbed to this over other games because of the fast monthly patch cycle for example.

Anyway thats been my two copper on the subject. :)

#13 Shoogli

Shoogli
  • Members
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi :) ! Thanks for the update !

Any chance you can soon give us more details about your april's post about elder gems please ?

This post of yours :) !

excerpt :

[...]

That being said, the Elder Gem system you are seeing in-game today is only half of the intended final system. Elder Gem vendor purchases related to the power of your character were always supposed to be the secondary place to buy various gear/drops/items, with the primary method being through game content. The Elder Gem Vendor is in essence a "backup", a place to buy things should the RNG gods not favor you after weeks of trying to get a certain item off a boss or a quest.

Unfortunately, the full system is not going to make it into the game before launch, but we're aiming to include it in the first major drop post-launch.

[...]

Thank you :) !

• Toxic, Hoppy, Torme and 5 others like this

-Shoogli  ^_^

(is on DeviantArt now... Just sayin' !)

(Spoof art, featuring Carbine staff  :lol: )

#14 dinwitt

dinwitt
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I guess I am going to echo the confusion of several people here, as to why you are delaying features for a larger overall patch.  If the Defile is done and ready to go then I don't understand why it isn't released on schedule, and the various feedback related changes from this month (rune slots, attunement, etc.) incorporated into weekly patches when they are ready.  Its not like it would be the first time you've done major system changes outside of a content drop (e.g. medal loot).

• Naunet, Toxic, Hoppy and 5 others like this

Entity - Redacted Engineer - Engineer - Scientist

#15 Mrsnuglemuffin

Mrsnuglemuffin
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

I'm fine with pushing back the new content but if the fixes to pvp gear don't come out in the first week of September every single member of my guild will be unsubscribing. I don't mean that as a threat it's just a reality. We really enjoy the combat in Wildstar but we'd rather not spend all night being frustrated for the next few months waiting for a crucial feature to be implemented that has been live on PTR for 3 weeks already. Combining all these updates into one massive ball holds up things that should be live already due to something completely unrelated not being ready. At least before it was "Well x is broken so I geuss we'll wait till next month". Now it's "Well x is broken, maybe sometime 3 months from now we will see a change".

• DeaHamlet likes this

#16 Ticon

Ticon
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

thank you!

#17 Toxic

Toxic
  • Members
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm fine with pushing back the new content but if the fixes to pvp gear don't come out in the first week of September every single member of my guild will be unsubscribing. I don't mean that as a threat it's just a reality. We really enjoy the combat in Wildstar but we'd rather not spend all night being frustrated for the next few months waiting for a crucial feature to be implemented that has been live on PTR for 3 weeks already. Combining all these updates into one massive ball holds up things that should be live already due to something completely unrelated not being ready. At least before it was "Well x is broken so I geuss we'll wait till next month". Now it's "Well x is broken, maybe sometime 3 months from now we will see a change".

Pretty much this. Every member of your community has each things they want and you will not be pushing out them in the time frame that is required to keep players. Your making a bad move witholding things that are already broken for months. You need to fix these things now and worry about defile later but not runes, pvp, technologist, and well a number of other things I could name off. People aren't gonna wait for you to fix your mistakes for 3 months plain and simple.

• Villain1117 and tortilla like this

#18 thigan

thigan
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

I can't speak from anybody else but I rather have feedback fixes included ASAP than whatever content you are trying to add to the game. I can wait months for new content, but those fixes, everyday I don't have them I'm losing playtime. It diminishes the experience so much, I can see how people can be frustrated and leave the game because of them.

Now going forward. I know that isolating elements from a (or multiple) complex computer program is very hard however I think, if possible would be better for the game include whatever you think is working added ingame before the rest. Then maybe, this sound ridiculous but, just rollback PTR, go back to live version and just add fixes there, let us help you with that, without new code interfering with the process. After that, go back and rethink the end-game zone model that you have in mind now, use the new zone to test zone ideas and go from that.

You have very good ideas your combat, your housing, your costume, challenges, crafting, runes but they hide behind so many problems: UI, design, gold costs, misuse of RNG, drop rates. There is potential is just buried, if you unleashed I'll test it then play it.

• Toxic, DeaHamlet and teozkr like this

#19 Auphi

Auphi
  • Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Because of that, we decided to make a change. We are adding a month’s worth of feedback and bugfixes to the mix based on player feedback and user experiences. These are changes to core systems such as economy, classes, PvP, crafting - you name it. We’re knocking out bugs and making changes to improve your gameplay experience. We want to roll these issues into the patch with the new zone content and that’s going to take some more time.

What's the rationale for lumping everything together?  Aren't the fixes to core systems separate from the new zone?

This approach is especially infuriating as a Spellslinger.  Our cooldowns have been bugged for almost a month.  The actual cooldown of our skills is different from the cooldown of the icons on our LAS, so we can't be sure that our interrupts are actually up even if the icon for the skill appears ready.

When we were told that there is a fix in place and that it will come out with the next big patch, I was a little peeved at how long it took to get a response and that we didn't receive a hotfix within a week of the bug's discovery.  This is a game that is heavily dependent on interrupts and cooldowns.

Now we're told that the patch and fix are going to be pushed back so it can coincide with the new zone?  Why?  It's ridiculous that we're going to get to the point when Slingers have had inaccurate cooldowns longer than we've had accurate cooldowns.  

• Toxic, Sol, tortilla and 4 others like this

#20 brotherfunk

brotherfunk
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

+1 to those perplexed as to why you would wait to roll out necessary and clamored-for fixes if they are available and what players want most. 

New content is great and all but there won't be many players around to see it if the gameplay isn't fixed in a more timely manner.

• Toxic, DeaHamlet, FuzzyKittens and 3 others like this