Photo

Rune Changes - Part 7 - Improvements to acquiring Runes and Runecrafting materials

Runes Runecrafting Materials Salvaging

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 J-Tal

J-Tal
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

In addition to all the other systemic changes we are making directly to the Rune system, we've also worked on making some quality of life improvements all around. The following will also release with the rest of the Rune changes already discussed.

1) All non-Set rune recipes have had their basic Rune Fragment material costs reduced by 1.

2) Salvaging has seen a complete overhaul. The existing Salvaging loot tables were not very clear or organized, which caused salvaging to be extremely hit or miss depending on the item type, level, and quality. We want the choice between selling an item and salvaging it to be that, a choice. In order to get there, the changes we have made should increase the value of salvaging, especially items of Excellent (blue) quality and higher.

We (and by 'we' I mean my minion team member, Marc Chang) have expanded the Salvaging tables to include new items and certain items in higher quantities than before. Junk and basic crafting materials should remain about the same. However, you should see more Rune materials (both Fragments and Elemental Signs) and Power Cores. We've also added the chance to get a full completed Rune from salvaging (both Basic Runes and Set Runes).

We've changed the way Salvaging items of higher quality works. Currently, the higher the quality, the higher the chance for the salvage action to crit and give you better rewards. With the changes we are making, the crit chance is being reduced but you will get multiple rolls against the table (with each roll having a chance to crit individually). The number of rolls is as follows:

White/Green - 1 roll

Blue - 2 rolls

Purple - 3 rolls

Orange - 5 rolls

Pink - 8 rolls

With the combination of Weakened Runes for leveling gear, the ability to reroll Element types, the ability to add additional Rune slots to gear, the standardization of Rune Slot counts, the increased availability of stats and Rune Sets across more Element types, reduced costs of basic Runes, and the increase of both Rune materials and completed Runes from salvaging, we are aiming to make the Rune system a more integral part of your play experience from level 15 to end-game.

We've been asked about the bonuses given by Rune Sets and if those are being modified or updated with the rest of the Rune system changes. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, they are not. We really wanted to focus on fixing the core issues of the Rune system itself with this pass. Once the system is in a more solid, complete state, we can begin expanding into new Rune Sets and adjustments to improve the current Rune Set bonuses and their effects.

"Is that blood I see? Hmm, you organics are all so ... frail."

#2 Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar
  • Members
  • LocationOCMD

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Good deal on making salvaging better! What about generally increasing the drop rates on things like Augmented and Intricate Rune Fragments?

Mahanaxar the Mohawked Mordesh Medic

Officer of <Darkhand> (Pago-PvP) - http://www.the-darkhand.com

Check out my WildStar Parody Song Videos, follow me @MahanaxStar, and/or subscribe to YouTube.com/MahanaxStar

#3 Halfthor

Halfthor
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Nice improvements overall. Especially with the ability to cancel out the reroll process you mentioned earlier.

#4 Ignore

Ignore
  • Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Totally saving EVERYTHING

Opinions Ignored - Esper DPS / H OS            Diplomacy - www.diplomacyguild.com 

Opinion Ignored - Slinger H / DPS OS            Fierce

Ignore Me - ENG  DPS / T OS                         No Quarter

#5 psyrift

psyrift
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Does "the crit chance is being reduced but you will get multiple rolls" mean that augmented runes will have a higher or lower drop rate on blue salvages?

#6 xoommoox

xoommoox
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

While I am supportive of this improvement to salvaging, I think there are even better ways to improve the immense gold/timesink of element/fragment farming. 

For one, why are we allowed to destroy runes that are already in rune slots, but not allowed to recover the runes from the slots? I'm already very displeased by the fact that we have to pay more gold to unlock new rune slots, what more, I still have to save up gold and/or hopefully make an item that can sell on the AH/CX. Low population servers have very little movement in terms of the entire economy, especially with the way that people are getting more and more selective with their gear.

Allow us to recover our runes for a nominal fee, tagged to the quality of our rune. There really isn't a need for a gold-sink to opening up new rune slots, the hardcore players might be able to afford it, but not many can or should. With this new set of rune changes coming in, we can all expect an even bigger time/gold sink coming in, in having to purchase new stuff from Technologists. I do understand the need to make the Technologists profession viable in terms of profiting from their profession, but there needs to also be a balance cutoff. 

Do away with having to pay for rune slots. Allow us to recover runes for that fee instead, and make that fee be based on the quality of the rune. Truth be told? Armour-types professions aren't earning as much as they used to at the start of the game, since there isn't a constant influx of people coming in to play the game. I am not against a gold/timesink feature, I just abhor gold/timesinks at ever juncture (Dyeing your clothes cost 40p? really?).

One more thing: Fix tailoring. It is probably the only class profession that requires way too much gold to start off with, while Outfitters and Armourers do not have to spend as much on purchasing supplies from the vendor. 1g per starthread? and 2 - 4? Please. Nobody gets that much starthread off salvaging (and I have been salvaging) nor get as much cloth.

#7 Manbearpig

Manbearpig
  • Members
  • LocationSecret

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Totally saving EVERYTHING

Cane I bai u'r lootz plase?

Also, I'm kind of interested in when these changes are gonna be made. :)
(Come on, you can say it.. do it, do it, DO IT!)

Half man, half bear and half pig.

#8 Manbearpig

Manbearpig
  • Members
  • LocationSecret

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yay doublepost.

Half man, half bear and half pig.

#9 godseamonkey

godseamonkey
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

When will these changes be put in the PTR for some testing? Would rather go in, and find all the bugs before it is tossed in game.  just to find out that making a new rune or something and it bugs out and we just wasted money

#10 Phantasmae

Phantasmae
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Pink - 8 rolls

The possibility of an artifact level item being salvaged at all made me cry a little inside.

#11 Kaiarra

Kaiarra
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Does "the crit chance is being reduced but you will get multiple rolls" mean that augmented runes will have a higher or lower drop rate on blue salvages?

This - Couldn't care less about lowered base rune costs, as they're already super cheap and don't fill the majority of my rune slots.

Augmented runes for sets are certainly my cost bottleneck the majority of the time; last I checked intricate runes were around 3 gold while the augmented runes tend to hover around ~50-60 gold on my server. If this change doesn't improve the drop rates for augmented runes, then I don't really feel it's going to make crafting runes any cheaper.

While I am supportive of this improvement to salvaging, I think there are even better ways to improve the immense gold/timesink of element/fragment farming. 

For one, why are we allowed to destroy runes that are already in rune slots, but not allowed to recover the runes from the slots? I'm already very displeased by the fact that we have to pay more gold to unlock new rune slots, what more, I still have to save up gold and/or hopefully make an item that can sell on the AH/CX. Low population servers have very little movement in terms of the entire economy, especially with the way that people are getting more and more selective with their gear.

Allow us to recover our runes for a nominal fee, tagged to the quality of our rune. There really isn't a need for a gold-sink to opening up new rune slots, the hardcore players might be able to afford it, but not many can or should. With this new set of rune changes coming in, we can all expect an even bigger time/gold sink coming in, in having to purchase new stuff from Technologists. I do understand the need to make the Technologists profession viable in terms of profiting from their profession, but there needs to also be a balance cutoff. 

Do away with having to pay for rune slots. Allow us to recover runes for that fee instead, and make that fee be based on the quality of the rune. Truth be told? Armour-types professions aren't earning as much as they used to at the start of the game, since there isn't a constant influx of people coming in to play the game. I am not against a gold/timesink feature, I just abhor gold/timesinks at ever juncture (Dyeing your clothes cost 40p? really?).

Would also have loved to see the ability to recover runes from slots - might actually feel like using some of the eldan sets on pre-raid gear if I could remove/reuse them - currently it's just not worth the costs. Would much prefer it if runes were super expensive to craft in the first place, but a permenant character investment once crafted.

* * * Shir - Esper * * *

<Hand of Blood>

#12 Drebble

Drebble
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Would also have loved to see the ability to recover runes from slots - might actually feel like using some of the eldan sets on pre-raid gear if I could remove/reuse them - currently it's just not worth the costs. Would much prefer it if runes were super expensive to craft in the first place, but a permenant character investment once crafted.

At the very least, do not add insult to injury by making us pay to destroy runes. That's just mean.

I would love a system where you can retrieve the runes for a fee, or at least Salvage the rune instead of paying to destroy it.

#13 threeks

threeks
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

One more thing: Fix tailoring. It is probably the only class profession that requires way too much gold to start off with, while Outfitters and Armourers do not have to spend as much on purchasing supplies from the vendor. 1g per starthread? and 2 - 4? Please. Nobody gets that much starthread off salvaging (and I have been salvaging) nor get as much cloth.

Lol. Money is so easy to get in this game.

#14 Tenner

Tenner
  • Members

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Lol. Money is so easy to get in this game.

Hey everyone, thank threeks for this fantastically helpful post!  :wub:

Agreed. Especially on low pop servers, it's simply not possible to obtain some runes in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm not sure the upcoming drop changes will do much about that. There's just too many different kinds of fragments to get the one you want by salvaging stuff yourself, and the CX is... empty.

#15 Ignore

Ignore
  • Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Cane I bai u'r lootz plase?

Also, I'm kind of interested in when these changes are gonna be made. :)
(Come on, you can say it.. do it, do it, DO IT!)

No way.  I will not sell you my 8k power core.

Opinions Ignored - Esper DPS / H OS            Diplomacy - www.diplomacyguild.com 

Opinion Ignored - Slinger H / DPS OS            Fierce

Ignore Me - ENG  DPS / T OS                         No Quarter

#16 Elo'naa

Elo'naa
  • Members
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

The possibility of an artifact level item being salvaged at all made me cry a little inside.

Wait until you get the weapon with 9,000 assault power and 500 insight on it...

#17 Beckstir

Beckstir
  • Members
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

This - Couldn't care less about lowered base rune costs, as they're already super cheap and don't fill the majority of my rune slots.

Augmented runes for sets are certainly my cost bottleneck the majority of the time; last I checked intricate runes were around 3 gold while the augmented runes tend to hover around ~50-60 gold on my server. If this change doesn't improve the drop rates for augmented runes, then I don't really feel it's going to make crafting runes any cheaper.

While I would love to be able to reuse a placed rune, I don't think allowing that to happen would be wise. Or the everyone would just use Eldan rune sets from start to finish.

But, I do agree that destroying them is not the best way to go either. I would like to have the choice to either destroy or salvage (with a fee difference in the one you pick)
“LOPP IS GRATEFUL FROM EAR TO TAIL! THAT IS WHOLE THREE FEET!”

— Lopp in Wilderrun after freeing pumeras from the Osun

#18 Terosque

Terosque
  • Members

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

Kaiarra asked this same question a month ago (in a charmingly abrasive way) but I wanted to put it back out there - I would really like to know the answer as well.

Can we expect more or less Augmented Rune Fragments from salvaging blues?

Like the above poster said Augmented Rune Fragments are the bottle neck; Their price makes optimal runeing cost prohibitive for many people.  The majority of ARF I get from salvaging comes from blues  - as they have the best ratio of Salvage Table to Drop Rate.  I'm sure this is the same for the majority of the population.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Runes, Runecrafting, Materials, Salvaging