Rune Changes - Part 6 - Adding Rune Slots

Runes Runecrafting Rune Slots Adding Runes

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 J-Tal

J-Tal
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

The final new piece to the Rune system puzzle is another new feature - adding Rune slots to an item.

As stated in the earlier post about Rune Slot Count changes, items will now have an specific number of Rune Slots to start and a specific number of maximum Rune Slots they can reach. Using a reagent, Eldan Runic Flux, you will be able to add up to the maximum. However, due to the higher value of better quality items, higher quality items will require greater numbers of the Eldan Runic Flux reagent.

For example:

Adding one new Rune Slot to an Excellent (Blue) quality item will cost 1 Eldan Runic Flux
Adding one new Rune Slot to a Superb (Purple) quality item will cost 3 Eldan Runic Flux

Adding one new Rune Slot to a Legendary (Orange) quality item will cost 9 Eldan Runic Flux

Adding one new Rune Slot to an Artifact (Pink) quality item will cost 27 Eldan Runic Flux (however, we will likely be handling the addition of Rune Slots to the Artifact items through Imbuements instead)

This process will also be handled through the Runecrafting UI window.

Both reagents (Runic Elemental Flux - for rerolling and Eldan Runic Flux - for adding) will go into the Tradeskill Satchel.

We also have the ability to turn both the default (starting) Rune Slot and maximum Rune Slot counts up or down for specific items. When we introduce a particularly high valued item it may be able to go one Rune Slot over the expected maximum.

As an example:
You get a 3 Rune blue quality item from a dungeon. You can add up to a maximum of 4 total Rune Slots.

You go to the Runecrafting station, select the item and add one new slot. This slot is randomly rolled for which Element it will be.

Because the item now has 4 Rune Slots, you cannot add any more.

You previously acquired a 2 Rune purple quality item before the changes. It was from the Elder Gem Vendor, most of these can have a maximum of 5 total Rune Slots.

You go to the Runecrafting station, select the item and add one new slot.

Because the item still only has 3 Rune Slots, you can continue to add more Rune Slots.

The Eldan Runic Flux will be available as a drop from World Loot, Dungeons and Adventures, Raids, PvP, and other various Loot Bags and sources. Because higher quality items require larger amounts of reagents, you should expect to see the amount of reagents dropped increase as you get into higher difficulty content.

For example:
You might run a normal Adventure or Dungeon and see the boss drop 1-2 Eldan Runic Flux, on pace with the requirements for adding a slot to a blue-quality item.

You might run a Veteran Adventure or Dungeon and see the boss drop 3-6 Eldan Runic Flux, on pace with the requirements for adding a slot to a purple-quality item.

You might run Datascape and see the boss drop 9-18 Eldan Runic Flux, on pace with the requirements for adding a slot to a Legendary quality item.

"Is that blood I see? Hmm, you organics are all so ... frail."

#2 Temptation

Temptation
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Is that drop rate per boss, or from finishing the instance like primal partial patterns?

#3 KingKong

KingKong
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

OK, it is more or less like what the community expected.

#4 Quietmode

Quietmode
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Gees, I'm gonna have to get a ton.

I have 26 rune slots to add to my gear....

<Voodoo>
~ Engineer Tank ~ Esper Healer ~
Twitch

#5 Naecabon

Naecabon
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Will these drop from trash in dungeons? Is it boss only? Final boss only? Are they a guaranteed drop from the bosses?

It's kind of rough that this change was hyped as a band-aid fix to the gear we acquired before this new change and now we have to put hours and hours of MORE work in to get our gear simply up to the level it would be if it dropped now after this change.

Naecabon
Nepenthium (US-Widow PvP) Guild Leader
nepenthium.shivtr.com

#6 Kaiarra

Kaiarra
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Is that drop rate per boss, or from finishing the instance like primal partial patterns?

This - would also be nice to know whether that 3-6 is personal loot (decent to acquire) or that 3-6 is going to be need rolled between 5 players (annoyingly hard to obtain).

Personally, I'd rather see a set amount of said item rewarded to every player at the end of a dungeon/adventure, rather than RNG need roll spam on bosses (primal patterns).

Also, are they tradable? Does 'other sources' mean you might consider adding it to the renown vendor?

* * * Shir - Esper * * *

<Hand of Blood>

#7 StrikeQ

StrikeQ
  • Guests
  • LocationNorthwest USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

The Eldan Runic Flux will be available as a drop from World Loot, Dungeons and Adventures, Raids, PvP, and other various Loot Bags and sources. Because higher quality items require larger amounts of reagents, you should expect to see the amount of reagents dropped increase as you get into higher difficulty content.

So better than Amp/Ability Points that are non existant?

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

#8 Jun It

Jun It
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Are these going to be personal loot drops or have to be rolled for.

#9 Halfthor

Halfthor
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

The prices for these will pretty much depend on the drop rate. I hope these things are easy to come by.

#10 Azurrei

Azurrei
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

The prices for these will pretty much depend on the drop rate. I hope these things are easy to come by.

It wasn't stated if the drops were BoE or BoP...

#11 Odiato

Odiato
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

I also have a question, if the gear where i'm going to add a rune slot is not Soulbound to me, will it bind once i add the runeslot?

I'm asking this cause they do when you add a rune.

#12 Horse Man

Horse Man
  • Members
  • LocationWalking on water.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

hmmm...withholding my opinion till more info.

soulbound or bind on pick up?

personal drops in dungeons and adventures, or "roll" drops?

world drop rate? 

Horse Man... etc

#13 Technomancer

Technomancer
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

There I was, already hoping you'd give this Item to Technologists too. Welp, can't have too much power I guess :P

Regarding the amount you need: Sounds okay if the stuff drops as regulary as you said J-Tal. I guess at the start it will be a little scarce since everyone and their mother will want to add more runeslots to their gear, but it will most certainly even out as time goes on. Just be ready for people to cry for higher drop-rates the first weeks after the new system has launched.

#14 J-Tal

J-Tal
  • Carbine Studios (Former)

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

I guess at the start it will be a little scarce since everyone and their mother will want to add more runeslots to their gear, but it will most certainly even out as time goes on. Just be ready for people to cry for higher drop-rates the first weeks after the new system has launched.

I drink in your tears as if it were sweet nectar and I a parched hummingbird.

"Is that blood I see? Hmm, you organics are all so ... frail."

#15 Technomancer

Technomancer
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Silly J-Tal, Tears will only make you thirstier.

#16 Red_Riot

Red_Riot
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Question! How about items that are crafted with an extra socket using a 'dual' core?  for instance, a dual starshard item with 3 runes base (2 standard + 1 bonus roll)

#17 The God

The God
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

I think I peed myself a little...

But honestly, sounds great, can't wait!

We know you do :).

Sir LooQ Stalker Jabbit

#18 Mavek

Mavek
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

C'MON. Let us "like" Dev posts! :wub:

"We can criticize without being sacks of shit." -Comp

#19 miasu

miasu
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

So do pvpers have to do dungeons/raids to get these reagents then?

#20 Sacramento

Sacramento
  • Members
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

So do pvpers have to do dungeons/raids to get these reagents then?

The Eldan Runic Flux will be available as a drop from World Loot, Dungeons and Adventures, Raids, PvP,

• Technomancer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Runes, Runecrafting, Rune Slots, Adding Runes